PDA

View Full Version : Australians - please explain.

Twisterdog
12-09-2007, 12:07 PM
Ok, I freely admit this is a trivial thing to make a post about, and a sure sign that I am in dire need of life ... but ...

I was noticing on my calender that there seem to be holidays for "Australia - except SA" and holidays for "Australia - SA". For example, December 26 is Boxing Day in all of Australia but the mysterious "SA", there it is Proclamation Day.

What is "SA"? A province or state, I assume? Why are the holidays different? What else is different? Just being curious. Thanks.

kuhio98
12-09-2007, 12:49 PM
Not from OZ, but have been there a few times................ I think SA stands for South Australia (a State, I believe).

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/agifs/Australiamap2.GIF

lizbud
12-09-2007, 04:48 PM
Not from OZ, but have been there a few times................ I think SA stands for South Australia (a State, I believe).

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/agifs/Australiamap2.GIF

Yes it is. :)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Australia++sa&btnG=Google+Search

G535
12-09-2007, 11:52 PM
"What else is different"

We have different accents.

We don't have snow at Christmas.

We spell words differently.

Our cats have Australian accents! :)

Cinder & Smoke
12-10-2007, 12:26 AM
Now I'm MORE :confused:

"What else is different ?"

* We have different accents.
* We don't have snow at Christmas.
* We spell words differently.
* Our cats have Australian accents! :)

:confused:
G535 lives in "the Australian State of Victoria, AU" - another STATE in the Australian Nation;
The State of Victoria borders the "State of South Australia, AU" ...

Now, G535 ~
Does your "answer" to "What else is different?" point out
Differences between the various Australian STATES ...
or the differences between the collective Australian STATES as a Nation
and the "Other Countries" of the World?

/s/ :confused: Phred

G535
12-10-2007, 12:31 AM
It's the silly season.

I was being silly! :)

Our states are probably not much different to your states, we're still the one country, just have different holidays.

Elf Shadow
12-10-2007, 12:37 AM
there r 6 states (plus 2 territories) that make up the big Aussie-land.i live in New South Wales.incedentally,have u ever heard of drop-bears?

cloverfdx
12-10-2007, 07:30 AM
Yep different states have different Public holidays. I am from Victoria, when we were in Queensland about 6 months back it was a long weekend, we went to go shopping but no shops were open... we had no idea :o.

joycenalex
12-10-2007, 08:47 AM
"What else is different"...Our cats have Australian accents! :) LOL!

sparks19
12-10-2007, 01:44 PM
We have boxing day in Canada too... basically just an excuse to have the day after Christmas off... which is nice lol.

I didn't realize that Australia also had Boxing day. I always get strange looks here in PA when I say "boxing day" and I didn't realize that different parts of Australia had different holidays.

I don't think it's like that in Canada but I could be wrong.

lizbud
12-10-2007, 04:17 PM
In reading this thread, I had a question. Do schools still teach a class
in Geography? This is no reflection on anyone's post, just curiious. :)

carole
12-10-2007, 05:28 PM
We also have boxing day in NZ too. :)

Twisterdog
12-10-2007, 08:57 PM
In reading this thread, I had a question. Do schools still teach a class
in Geography? This is no reflection on anyone's post, just curiious. :)

If you were referring to me, I wasn't asking where Australia is on the globe. I think I might be able to find it.

I was asking about customs of the country ... why does one state have different holidays from the others? Seemed a legitimate question to me.

Rather like a citizen of Australia might ask a citizen of the USA, "Why does the state of Utah celebrate holidays that no other state does?" The answer being, of course, the citizens of Utah are predominately members of the LDS church, and celebrate holidays specific to their religion.

I was simply wondering if there was a similar reason in SA, Australia.

G535
12-10-2007, 09:26 PM
http://www.shagtown.com/days/australia.html

According to this site Proclamation Day is December 28. I lived in South Australia for awhile years ago and can't really remember all the holidays and now I'm mostly retired every day is a holiday. :)

captain
12-10-2007, 10:58 PM
Hey Twisterdog,

Yes, we have different holidays in different states - but the one that really gets me is Queens Birthday.

Every State celebrates it on a different day - I think only Western Australia actually celebrate it on the Queens' ACTUAL birthday!!!!
So, in Victoria we have a long weekend for Queens Birthday, and then about one month later New South Wales has a long weekend for it!!

Yep, I can see how it would confuse someone - so let me share this too - here in Melbourne, we have a Public Holiday for a horserace!!!!! :) No, I am NOT kidding!!!

Thanks for asking - this has made me look at the holiday plans here for next year :D

Twisterdog
12-10-2007, 11:40 PM
Yep, I can see how it would confuse someone - so let me share this too - here in Melbourne, we have a Public Holiday for a horserace!!!!! :) No, I am NOT kidding!!!

Thank you for answering. :)

Hey, I understand the horserace holiday concept, truly. I live in Wyoming, and when I was a kid we had a day where all public schools were out on holiday ... the first day of hunting season. Really. :rolleyes:

Lilith Cherry
12-11-2007, 12:20 AM
Hey Sparks, we do have at least one different holiday between provinces in Canada - Quebec has St Jean Baptistes Day in June while the rest of us have August Bank holiday.

We all have Boxing Day as a leftover from our Colonial past; it's a British holiday

G535
12-11-2007, 01:12 AM
The Melbourne Cup is supposed to be the richest horse race in the world, everyone in the racing industry everywhere has heard of it, no wonder it's also a public holiday. :)

lizbud
12-11-2007, 09:39 AM
If you were referring to me, I wasn't asking where Australia is on the globe. I think I might be able to find it.

I was asking about customs of the country ... why does one state have different holidays from the others? Seemed a legitimate question to me.

Rather like a citizen of Australia might ask a citizen of the USA, "Why does the state of Utah celebrate holidays that no other state does?" The answer being, of course, the citizens of Utah are predominately members of the LDS church, and celebrate holidays specific to their religion.

I was simply wondering if there was a similar reason in SA, Australia.

Sorry Twister, I meant no criticism to you or anyone else. It was just
a question in general. Maybe it should have been posted as it's own thread.
Honestly, it was not meant as a slam. :)

Husky_mom
12-21-2007, 09:07 PM
I know this thread is a bit old but I wanted to add....

here in Mexico when "work day" holiday WE DONīT WORK!! haha.... whereas other places they work and even more.....

I think itīs like Labor day or something