PDA

View Full Version : What do you think I should do?

slleipnir
12-08-2007, 05:36 PM
I'm having problems with the cook at my work. I've been having problems for a long time now, and no one seems concerned enough to fix it. He does things like:

*sit in a different room all night so orders don't get made fast, or at all until I go looking for him
*refuse to cook stuff (unless it's deep fried) 20 mins before closing (time varies)
*make thins difficult for me in general

A few weeks ago a man wanted steak and eggs at 8:50 (we close at 9) I said sure, but when I rang it in, cook says "nope, grill is off. I won't make it this late" so I had to send the poor man to a different place!! urg, that frustrates me so much. Especially because it makes ME look bad. NOT him.

Another time these guys called in asking for meal to be ready for 12, I say sure. I ring it in around 11:40ish to make sure it would be ready in time. 12 o'clock them come in, and I figure the food is ready. It's not. The cook is in another room talking to his friends!! So I have to make up some excuse as to why the cook didn't see it...and the guy flips out at me telling me he will speak to the manager about me!!! My mother is the manager there so she knew what had happened so I didn't get in trouble but still...!

And the last Thursday. I have a group of about 15 people who come in every night at the same time for the past month or more. We know there are coming and they order special homemade wings which are cheaper. They were premade and waiting in the kitchen. Cook says he doesn't know how to cook them, so he calls the other guy who premade them. These wings need to cook for 30 mins before serving. Cook says "Nope. I don't have 30 mins, I will not make them. They will have to pay more for the regular wings" I say "It's not even 8:00 yet (again, we close the kitchen at 9) and that they were already told they could have the cheaper priced wings, so I will not charge them extra for the regular wings. Cook then says they can't have them. So I say, whatever, I'll ask if they mind waiting 30 mins (knowing they wouldn't mind) and cook says "No! I will not make them!" so I said I would make them, it's not a big deal. But Nooo, I can't make them unless I want to clean all the mess up. (I have a bar full of people, I didn't have time to watch the wings let along clean the mess up!!) so at this point i'm upset. These people are very nice people, and they don't deserve this crap. If they're told they can have cheaper priced wings, then they will get them. They give us A LOT of business, plus they stay at the hotel chain I'm working with. So I decide I'm not making any more excuses for him and go downstairs. as I go, I hear a lady come in and tell cook we are having a large group in at 8:45 or 8:55. They also come in a lot and give great business. I hear him say "they can only eat if it's deep fried" so I kinda loose it. I just start tearing up. Normally I can just say whatever and be fine, but these customers mean a lot to me. I manage to tell them the cook won't cook their wings, but I sorta started to cry again so I just ran upstairs to the bathroom. A lady from the group comes up to see if I'm ok. (I'm out of the bathroom at this point) The cook comes out and asks what's going on? The lady says what i told them. he then says "oh, she only assumed I wouldn't cook them, they're almost ready" I'm like....WTH?! Liar! Urg!! So he must have microwaved the wings. They didn't look that great. They didn't complain. They were so nice and supportive. They all said they would call in the morning and talk to the hotel manager and complain. (not that it will help) and said they will take their business elsewhere if they need to. (trying to help me)

I felt so crummy. He always makes me feel badly. I'm all about giving the customers the best service I can, but Cook makes it soooo difficult. I have no idea what to do...I can't quit because my mom needs me to work as she has no one else. I'm going to talk to the general manager myself but it doesn't seem to help. Someone told me that counts as harassment, but I don't know that it does....I DREAD going into work now. I hate working with him. Today he kept talking to me like we were best friends or something. I just ignored him. My friend works the front desk and Cook was "telling" him about what happened. My friend told me what he said and it wasn't even the truth. *sigh* Sorry for the long rant. I know this is so childish but I don't know what to do anymore and I'm tired of feeling run down

Taz_Zoee
12-08-2007, 06:37 PM
Wow, that's not happy. :(
I would suggest that you document EVERY little thing that he does wrong. Document with facts, not opinions. Also document who, if anyone, was around to hear him say the things he is saying. After a while take that to the manager.
Good luck!

shais_mom
12-08-2007, 06:53 PM
what an arse!
if the manager isn't doing anything find someone above his/her head. Like the owners. bad customer service make for less $$ in their pocket!!! Sending someone away makes their money go away also!

Catty1
12-08-2007, 08:22 PM
If you get other customers who want to help you, ask them to please write a letter to the manager.

Why can't your mom fire him? Or can she not influence the other manager?

Maybe your mom needs you, but the business needs a cook!

slleipnir
12-08-2007, 10:40 PM
My mom is the bar manager (in a hotel) the Cook is the cook manager. He's been there for like...20 some years I'd say. our hotel manager seems like she can't be bothered. She can't just "fire" him because he's been there so long (apparently) and he will make a fuss so they just don't do it. As I said, I'm going to see the manager of the whole hotel chain on Monday. My customers also said they would phone and talk to him themselves saying I shouldn't have to put up with that. One of my regulars even said he'd go up and pound on him hahah. I'm not sure if he was joking or serious (I felt like saying, please!! do!!) I know that wouldn't solve anything anyway.

Catty1
12-08-2007, 11:17 PM
YAY! The customers have the loudest voice! I hope a few more of them start calling also!