PDA

View Full Version : Major ice storm coming -prayers please

momoffuzzyfaces
12-07-2007, 01:05 PM
According to the weather channel and our local weather guys, a major ice storm is taking a bead on us. The weather channel even names our town as one of the ones in line for major ice accumilation. :(

That means probably power outtages. Which means no heat for me and lots of us. The storm is to start tomorrow night (Saturday) and continue through Tuesday.

Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers!!! :(

slick
12-07-2007, 01:26 PM
Momo, do you have lots of canned food just in case? How about lots of flashlights??

Major prayers on the way my friend!

Randi
12-07-2007, 03:45 PM
MOFF, I hope the storm won't be as bad as predicted. Hope you have stocked up on food that doesn't need to be cooked. Have you got lots of candles? Or gas to cook and keep warm.

Sending positive thoughts. Be safe!

Medusa
12-07-2007, 04:02 PM
Do you have a fireplace and lots of wood? You can roast hot dogs, etc. if necessary. Hopefully, you won't need to. Let's pray that the storm is averted.....

davidpizzica
12-07-2007, 04:09 PM
MOFF. Pittsburgh prayers and WARM thoughts are coming to you and to the other families that live in your town that this ice storm isn't as severe as they predicted, and that everyone is safe and warm.

momoffuzzyfaces
12-07-2007, 04:37 PM
Thanks everyone. No fireplace or any form of heat if the power goes off. My furnace is gas but it has an electrical blower and won't come on without it. So I will be very very cold if the power goes off.

I think my cook stove will work if the power goes off. It does have electric igniters to turn the burners on. I think since the stove is gas, the burners can be lit with a match if the electricity is off though. :)

Got the cats all stocked up with food and cat litter and treats. That's the most important thing, eh? ;)

I did stock up on batteries and groceries too. I just hate ice storms. :(

Medusa
12-07-2007, 04:38 PM
Well, your safety is the main thing. Take good care of yourself first so that you can take care of your furkids.

jennielynn1970
12-07-2007, 04:43 PM
I can definitely relate to the lack of heat worry... my furnace has been semi- functional the past week, and we think it's finally fixed today (after 3 visits). It's been darn cold here in PA (temps in the 20s during the day), so waking up to house temps in the 50's has not been fun. I knew something was wrong when basically ALL the cats were on the bed with me in the AM, lol.

Catty1
12-07-2007, 07:54 PM
HUGS! Candles can produce a fair bit of heat in a small room - a bathroom, maybe?

I just hope your stove burners stay lit! Though you'd smell the gas if one went off, right? (worried mother hen here)

I hope your kitties all bundle up to keep you warm.

Or - even BETTER - that your power doesn't go out at all! :)

K9karen
12-07-2007, 09:44 PM
How scary! Hopefully the weatherguys are wrong this time. Please be safe. Having been through a few here, I bury myself under the covers! Good Luck!

Dorothy39
12-08-2007, 06:51 AM
Oh Moff, I hate ice storms too, they just scare the dickens out of me.

I sure Hope and Pray those Weather guys are off the mark on this one too.

We've got our toes and Paws all crossed up here in the Mitten, with pawsitive Prayers for you and your fuzzyfaces :o

joycenalex
12-08-2007, 09:02 AM
we had an ice storm christmas 2004. i hung blankets over the doors to the other rooms, laid as many rugs on the floor as i could find and kept pots of water boiling in the kitchen 9our retreat) to keep the humidity up and the heat down low. b/c i was curious i brought a thermometer in the kitchen to check as well, inside the house it was 42...OH!!!! open all the cupboard doors under sinks and start a thin trickle of water, including garage and basements from all the faucets, heaven forbid, but busted pipes from freezing will ruin a lot of homes, opening them can prevent ice jams. do you know where the water spigot from into the house is?

gini
12-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Connie, worrying about you this morning. I hope we hear from you soon that you and the kitties are alright.

momoffuzzyfaces
12-08-2007, 12:35 PM
HUGS! Candles can produce a fair bit of heat in a small room - a bathroom, maybe?

I just hope your stove burners stay lit! Though you'd smell the gas if one went off, right? (worried mother hen here)

When I first moved in I was looking for the pilot lights on the cook stove, just in case I needed to relight them some day. Funny thing, this cook stove doesn't have pilot lights. When you turn the knob on, it starts an electric igniter- sort of like a flint used to make a spark, that spark ignites the gas and the burner comes on. Anyway, won't have to worry about a gas leak there. The furnace is the same way. I was worried about that too! ;)

I did test the cook stove last night and it can be lit with a match. So I should still be able to cook.

Been raining and drizzling all day. So far the temp is 37 but we are under a freeze advisory for tonight and a winter storm watch until Tuesday!!!

Joyce got the water running in all faucets. I'd rather have a higher water bill than a broken pipe! I leared that the hard way!!! It's good to be reminded though.

Thanks everyone for the prayers and positive thoughts. I know they are helping. (((HUGS))) to you all!!!

emily_the_spoiled
12-08-2007, 02:38 PM
Well if your guys are anything like mine when the heat goes out, you are going to be plenty warm at night (they will all sleep with you) :rolleyes:

But the most important thing I have learned ... is to have a manual can opener! (During one of the hurricanes a few years back my neighbor's only had an electric one so they were always borrowing mine. :D )

momoffuzzyfaces
12-08-2007, 05:13 PM
Got the manual can opener!!! It's one of the things they reccomend for our "survival" kits. Good to remind people though. You'd be surprised what you come to rely on and don't have without power.

We are under ice storm warnings now. We are to get between a half and inch to over an inch before it's all over on Tues or Wednesday. That much ice brings down tree limbs and power lines. YIKES! :(

momoffuzzyfaces
12-09-2007, 11:56 AM
So far so good! Power still on but still under ice storm warnings. The lights have dimmed but not gone off. This will keep up until Wednesday, so I hear! :(

gini
12-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Connie, still saying prayers for you...................that your heat stays on and you are safe!

Genny
12-09-2007, 10:02 PM
Hey, I don't know when you posted this but I will say a parayer for you :)

anna_66
12-10-2007, 07:31 AM
Connie I haven't posted but I have been keeping you in my prayers and keeping an eye on your weather.
I hope you come through this without any power outages.

zippy-kat
12-10-2007, 07:48 AM
Connie I haven't posted but I have been keeping you in my prayers and keeping an eye on your weather.
I hope you come through this without any power outages.

Same here.

Will be thinking of you, Moff, and sending WARM wishes your way!

Medusa
12-10-2007, 11:09 AM
I copied and pasted it from an email that was sent to me. Hopefully, it'll keep you warm inside at least. :p

A GIFT GIVEN AND RECEIVED

by Kathy Pippig Harris

On a late November night the man stepped outside of his ranch

house to get some fresh air.

He looked up at the black velvet night salted with bright-white

stars. The air was chilly and as he pulled on his jacket he heard

Sally's soft shuffling steps.

He turned and regarded the elderly Australian Shepherd, his

companion and good friend for 13 years. They walked out over the

gravel drive and onto the narrow lane that fronted his property.

Moonlight frosted the fields and cast shadows of the man and dog

as they walked in companionable silence. On the tail of a winter

breeze, the sound of sirens, faint and urgent, wailed briefly.

Christmas was just around the corner. In years past, he would

have been planning what gifts to give whom, and deciding how many

guests, family and friends, he and his wife would have over Christmas

Eve.

But, his wife had passed a decade ago. Friends were few and

most had made other plans this year. He sighed. His joy came from

the giving of gifts -- that was his gift to himself, and he would

miss that this Christmas.

Morning came crisp and clear. He rolled over and gazed out the

window. Through the condensation on the glass he watched as a blurry

shape moved erratically in the vineyard. Curious, he got up, dressed

and headed for the door.

As he neared, a scratching sound came from the other side. He

slowly opened the door.

There, on the porch sat a small dog of mixed breed -- short

legs, long body. She stood on her hind legs, furry forelegs pulling

at the air. Her ears hung down, hound-like. She was adorable.

He bent down and reached out a hand. She dropped to all fours

and gently licked his outstretched palm. By the indentation in the

fur of her neck he knew that she had recently worn a collar.

He gestured for her to come inside. She wagged her tail, panted

a smile and turned her attention to the open field.

There in the mist was another animal. She wagged her tail as a

dog stepped out of the low-blanketing fog. Tentatively, the small

young dog approached. The visitor at his feet barked a happy "It's

safe!" greeting to her companion.

This dog, too, had previously worn a collar. Both dogs' fur

seemed covered in sooty dirt and he decided he would give them a bath

after giving them food and water.

They quickly adapted to their surroundings. Sally welcomed the

two dogs and seemed delighted to have them follow her and her human

wherever they went. That night they all clambered on the bed,

settled into the comforter and slept as one.

Two days later a group of people came to the house. The man

answered the door and couldn't help noticing that on their faces were

expressions of weariness, and of hope.

They explained that they had been scouring the area and asked if

he had seen two small dogs who were new to the area. The man nodded

and bade them wait. He returned with the two dogs.

One of the men in the group smiled, tears welling in his eyes.

"You found them!"

The man replied, "No, they found me."

The younger man, his cheeks now wet added, "Their names are

Roxanne and Libby. They are my friend's dogs." The young man tried

to say something else, but emotion overwhelmed him.

He gathered the dogs, one in each arm and nodded -- a gesture of

gratitude. The older man nodded back.

That night on the local TV news there was a story about the

community losing a popular and respected veterinarian. He was

involved in a fiery single car crash, and pronounced dead at the

scene.

It was later learned that his two dogs were with him at the time

of the accident. It was believed that his dogs had died with him,

but family friends canvassed the fields anyway. The dogs were found

with a homeowner who had taken them in. The family didn't know the

name of the man who took the dogs in, but wanted to thank him...

The son shared this with the news reporters: "This is

invaluable to our whole family because we know they were with my dad.

I don't know how they survived, but here they are. They slept with

my dad at night. They followed him around everywhere. It's like

that's a part of him that's still alive..."

Later, while Sally nestled into the comforter, the man closed

his eyes, recalling the news story. "How had they survived?" he

wondered.

Drifting off to sleep he did not see the shimmering form appear

in his room. "They survived because I was there. I lifted them from

the inferno and with a whisper, I directed them to find you."

The angel moved closer, "Your act of kindness was your gift to

that family, and His gift to you!"

Sally thumped her tail and panted a smile and, then she, too, fell

asleep.

-- Kathy Pippig Harris <paavarr at yahoo.com>

Kathy's story is based largely on fact and is dedicated to Dr. Robert

W. Gfeller, DVM, who died November 25, 2007, in a car accident in

Madera County,California. You can read a newspaper account about Dr.

Gfeller and his surviving dogs here:

http://www.fresnobee.com/263/story/229336.html

mruffruff
12-10-2007, 12:45 PM
Major LES!
Thanks for posting this.

momoffuzzyfaces
12-10-2007, 12:58 PM
Major LES!
Thanks for posting this.
Thanks from me too!

So far so good as far as the storm goes. We are now waiting for storm #3 to come later this afternoon and night. It is supposed to be the worse one. :(
We are to get over an inch of freezing rain. Already tens of thousands in our area are without power. I feel so blessed that mine is still on and credit all your prayers for it!!!

This has been the longest ice storm in Kansas, at least since I've been born. It's so odd that everything is closed down. Hardly any traffic even today. It will have been 5 days by the time it's all over.

Can you believe it? They say tomorrows storm will be a thunderstorm!! During an ice storm of all things. What next, an Ice tornado? ;)

Please keep the prayers coming and for everyone who is effected by these storms as the move east.
(((HUGS))) to you all

gini
12-10-2007, 01:04 PM
MOFF, I am so glad that you checked in with us. I have been worried!

Let's just get past storm number 3 - and we can then hope for a Merry Christmas for you!

slick
12-10-2007, 03:06 PM
Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers MOFF!!!

{{{warm hugs}}}

anna_66
12-11-2007, 09:28 AM
Just thinking of you today and hope it's all over soon!

gini
12-11-2007, 12:24 PM
I saw some of the news and the ice storms are horrific.

Hope you are o.k., Connie!

momoffuzzyfaces
12-11-2007, 12:45 PM
I'm ok. Just late getting on line. We've been having tons of rain this morning. Strange thing: the temps rose above freezing over night, now it's pouring rain.

The Temps will drop below freezing later and it will switch back to freezing drizzle over night. Hopefully, it will be over tomorrow some time!!! Of course, now they are saying snow for the weekend!!! :eek:

Thanks for the prayers. I'm sure that's why I was so blessed as to keep my power on. Please pray for all the ones without power.

Still thousands in OK, KS, and MO without power. :(

cassiesmom
12-11-2007, 12:48 PM
thinking of you this afternoon, MOFF ... it's raining in Chicago right now but prediction is to switch to freezing rain as the temps drop.

gini
12-11-2007, 12:51 PM
Thanks for checking in Connie - I know it makes all of us feel better about you.

I cannot imagine being without power during these storms! I feel sorry for all of the little animals as well as humans.

Daisy and Delilah
12-11-2007, 12:55 PM
My thoughts and prayers are going for you moff and all others that are in this terrible tragedy. It breaks my heart to see it on the news. (((((HUGS)))))

momoffuzzyfaces
12-12-2007, 12:49 PM
We've pretty much made it through this series of storms. There is a slight possibility of freezing rain this afternoon but it's not supposed to amount to much.

We have snow coming for Friday and Saturday but no word yet on how much. Snow is lots better than ice!!! ;)

Thank you all again for all the prayers and well wishes. I'm sure that's why we were so blessed and didn't get hammered so badly as the other cities!!!

Prayers, please, though for the ones still without power. They are saying it may be at least 10 more days before they get the power back for some of them... and they have snow coming this week end too. :(

Randi
12-12-2007, 01:08 PM
MOFF, it's even in the Danish newspapers - with pictures. It looks amazing, but it's really not the time of year to be without power. :( I've never experienced an ice storm and hope I won't, except perhaps for the wonderful pictures you could shoot. ;)

Glad to hear you're safe and warm. :)