PDA

View Full Version : Poor Hannah had a Dr's appt today

sparks19
12-03-2007, 06:49 PM
My Poor Hannah had her first round of shots today. she did really well though. she only cried for a few seconds with each needle (3 in total) Although she was probably tired out from crying throughout the rest of the appt lol. her appt was at 8:10 and she is normally asleep at that time so she was tired and grumpy.

I, However, was up all night dreading getting her shots done lol. I hate hearing my baby cry in pain. but we had a nice long nap together in the big bed when we got home and she is much happier now... Although i think she is a little sore where she got her shots. I will give her some Tylenol later.

Also, she has only gained a half a pound from her last appt a month ago. She is 9 lbs. The Dr said it is nothing to worry about just yet as it could just be the growth curve she is going to follow.... she may just be a little baby. she is in the 25th percentile in weight for her age.

But I am only concerned because she has been having some eating issues as of late. She has been VERY fussy on the breast. For a week straight she cut her eating time in half to ten minutes and was fussy most of that ten minutes so really she didn't even get a full ten minutes of eating. she has gotten better but still doesn't seem to be eating as much. during that week when she wasn't eating I actually started giving her some formula to supplement because she just wasn't eating. So now I have been giving her a bottle of formula before bed.... I breastfeed her as much as she will take and then I give her the rest in formula.... and she takes 4 oz of formula even after breastfeeding. But I KNOW she is getting milk from me. She just either doesn't like the taste or something is making her uncomfortable while she breastfeeds.... either way she is not getting as much as It hink she should be and even though the Dr is not concerned I am a little concerned about her lack of weight gain. She used to breastfeed for 40 minutes... then she cut that time in half to 20 minutes... then she cut that in half to 10 minutes. I have her back up to 20 minute feeds and I TRY to keep her going for 30 minutes but most of the time she won't eat past 20 minutes but if I give her a bottle she will mow it down.

her next appt is in two months for her next set of shots... but the Dr said I am more than welcome to make an appt sooner than that for a weight check if I want to.... so I will probably do that.

sabies
12-05-2007, 07:32 PM
My Sam is now 5 months and I have been exclusively breastfeeding. She is now down to about 5 minutes on each side and her weight gain has been fine. Babies will get more efficient at breastfeeding and can get what they need faster. How far apart are your feedings? Maybe you could spread them out more since her tummy is getting bigger and can hold more. At 3 months Sam was about every 3 hours. Also Sam got fussy as she got older and now she can be quite fussy and distracted at daytime feedings while nighttime feedings tend to be more mellow and longer (she falls asleep).

That said I totally understand your concern over her lack of weight gain. Your doctor isn't concerned so that should be some comfort. It's hard to tell a new first time mom not to worry. (I am a new first time mom and worry all the time.) Sam has gained more weight than Hannah but every baby is different!! I just want you to know that some of the behavior you are seeing is normal for her age. How is her disposition overall - does she have happy playful times? Didn't I see video of her kicking up water in her bath tub? She looked quite fine there so I think you would notice something in her overall behavior if feeding/weight gain was a problem.

Another thing - I've read that the monthly friend can affect taste of the milk. Not sure if that is an issue yet with you but she may eat less then and it is temporary.

sparks19
12-05-2007, 09:32 PM
My Sam is now 5 months and I have been exclusively breastfeeding. She is now down to about 5 minutes on each side and her weight gain has been fine. Babies will get more efficient at breastfeeding and can get what they need faster. How far apart are your feedings? Maybe you could spread them out more since her tummy is getting bigger and can hold more. At 3 months Sam was about every 3 hours. Also Sam got fussy as she got older and now she can be quite fussy and distracted at daytime feedings while nighttime feedings tend to be more mellow and longer (she falls asleep).

That said I totally understand your concern over her lack of weight gain. Your doctor isn't concerned so that should be some comfort. It's hard to tell a new first time mom not to worry. (I am a new first time mom and worry all the time.) Sam has gained more weight than Hannah but every baby is different!! I just want you to know that some of the behavior you are seeing is normal for her age. How is her disposition overall - does she have happy playful times? Didn't I see video of her kicking up water in her bath tub? She looked quite fine there so I think you would notice something in her overall behavior if feeding/weight gain was a problem.

Another thing - I've read that the monthly friend can affect taste of the milk. Not sure if that is an issue yet with you but she may eat less then and it is temporary.

Well I know they can become more efficient but she seems to be fussy the whole time she is on the breast but if I put some expressed milk or formula in a bottle she gulps it down. I have actually come to realize that I think my supply has been low. this only started after she started sleeping through the night and would go long periods at night without feeding.... and she would eat fine in the morning and afternoon.... it was the last few feedings that she would be really fussy. So I started pumping if she didn't eat much and I hardly pumped out anything. so I think that h as been my problem.... so I am taking steps to try to increase my supply again and so far I think it is working :D

She definitely has happy times.... I just made a video of her the other night where she was smiling away while we were playing... it's so cute. So overall she seems to be fine.... I'ms ure I am being paranoid. i talked to my mom about it too and she said that I was the same way... I didn't gain a lot of weight really fast.

I have had my first monthly visitor lol but that was a few weeks ago.... BUT I have started on the low dose birth control that you can take while BFing... so perhaps that is messing with her too. But I think it is just that she can't get as much as she wants in the evening because during the day she has been feeding perfectly fine. So hopefully my extra pumping works... and I am getting up in the night to sleep feed her even if she doesn't get me up.

sabies
12-05-2007, 09:59 PM
Glad to hear that it's going well increasing your supply. I do sometimes wish there were ounce markings on my breasts since it seems like a guessing game so often. Best of luck to you!!

caseysmom
12-05-2007, 10:54 PM
One of my girls was a thin baby, all the way through childhood pretty much. I would get her checked frequently just for your sake so you don't have to worry.

sparks19
12-06-2007, 12:28 PM
Glad to hear that it's going well increasing your supply. I do sometimes wish there were ounce markings on my breasts since it seems like a guessing game so often. Best of luck to you!!

LOL I know.... it's so hard to tell how much or if she is getting anything. It always makes me paranoid lol ... especially since I can't really hear if she is swallowing or not.

sparks19
12-06-2007, 12:29 PM
One of my girls was a thin baby, all the way through childhood pretty much. I would get her checked frequently just for your sake so you don't have to worry.

Yeah I will probably make an appt before her 4 month check up just to have her weighed... for my own peace of mind lol.