PDA

View Full Version : Address Etiquette for "blended" families?

Catty1
12-03-2007, 02:15 PM
Jane Smith and John Doe and John's kids?

Jane Smith and Jone Doe and Linda and Tracy and Josh and Joe?

The Smith and Doe Families? Family?

AAAK!

What is the correct address etiquette these days?

AND - even if the two parents have the same last name, and children - is it Joe Smith and Family? Joe & Jane Smith and Family? The Smith Family?

Working on a new database and my head is starting to hurt! ;)

Thanks! - I will Google this, but have to finish this xl sheet first and put it into ACT.

Taz_Zoee
12-03-2007, 03:14 PM
I don't know what's proper ettiquette, but when I watch Extreme Home Makeover and they have blended families they usually say it like: Swensen Lee family. The example being used from the week before lasts episode where a family (Swensens) take in her sisters four kids (Lees) and they became the Swensen Lee family.
I don't know if that helped you at all or not. Just my own observations. :)

kittycats_delight
12-03-2007, 03:24 PM
I have also heard it like Cindy mentioned. I think it is like when a woman takes her husbands name but keeps her own as well so it would be like the The Smith Doe Family. I believe hyphenated or not that just depends on personal preference. I would also not use first names as it makes one person seem more important than another so I would say The Smith Family for example.

BitsyNaceyDog
12-03-2007, 03:35 PM
I usually address my cards as:
Mr. and Mrs. Joe Smith and family

Freedom
12-03-2007, 04:13 PM
My friend Kathy did not change her name when she was married. So the she is Kathy Smith; her hubby is Davey Jones and the kids are all Jones.

Since Kathy is the one who opens any letters / cards from me (she knows from the return address label) I just send it to Kathy Smith. Then inside the ard, I list the names.

Birthday cards to the kids get addressed to the kids.

I haven't a lcue what the "etiquette" is, but since she is a good friend, this works. (I put Mr. & Mrs. Jones and Family once and got a phone call. The only Mrs. Jones is his mom.)

Karen
12-03-2007, 04:21 PM
I would address it as follows

Jane Smith and John Doe
& Sam, Jessica and Teddy (kid's names, no last name, on a second line)
10 Main Street
Anytown, MX 01825

Or "The Whole Family at"
10 Main Street
Anytown, MX 01825

Lady's Human
12-03-2007, 04:25 PM
From a technical standpoint, as opposed to an etiquette standpoint, however you do it be sure to keep the names to the first two lines. Otherwise it confuses the heck out of the OCR that sorts the mail.

Husky_mom
12-03-2007, 04:26 PM
if sent here.....

It woudl be like: Mr. John Doe and Mrs.

or Mr. and Mrs. Doe

or Mr. John Doe and Family

or Mr. John Doe and Jane Smith

or Family Doe Smith

chocolatepuppy
12-03-2007, 06:14 PM
Since Kathy is the one who opens any letters / cards from me (she knows from the return address label) I just send it to Kathy Smith. Then inside the ard, I list the names.

That's what I do also. Any other situations I usually do what ever I want anymore, I'm tired of trying to figure it out! ;)

Edwina's Secretary
12-03-2007, 07:17 PM
I am a member of a family where the anglo-saxon naming tradition is not often followed. So here are my rules...

Husband and wife with different last names..both first and last names.

Husband and wife with different last names and children..."The Family Jones"...

If I only know one of the spouses well...to the spouse I know.

If I do not know them well enough to know how I should address them...do I know them well enough to send a card????

Catty1
12-03-2007, 10:04 PM
This is a realtor's database - some are clients and some are friends(most are clients! :) )

Thank you all for the input. Gives me some common sense to go by!

Twisterdog
12-04-2007, 12:33 AM
I just did my Christmas cards, so this is actually fresh in my mind.

I don't put any kids' names on the envelopes, only the adults.

If everyone has the same last name I put "The Smith Family" if they have kids at home or "John and Jane Smith" if they don't.

If they have different last names I put "John Smith and Jane Jones".

sweetpatata6
12-04-2007, 06:19 AM
I don't know what's proper ettiquette, but when I watch Extreme Home Makeover and they have blended families they usually say it like: Swensen Lee family. The example being used from the week before lasts episode where a family (Swensens) take in her sisters four kids (Lees) and they became the Swensen Lee family.
I don't know if that helped you at all or not. Just my own observations. :)

I agree with this Swensen Lee family part.

Pawsitive Thinking
12-04-2007, 09:16 AM
How about "The Occupiers"? :D

Catty1
12-04-2007, 10:16 AM
How about "The Occupiers"?

I was thinking of: "You Know Who You Are." ! :D

sumbirdy
12-05-2007, 12:01 AM
We've actually got one before that said "To You and Your Family" with a return address we didn't recognize! We all set there for a while trying to figure out which one of us was the "You" We finally let dad open. Must not have been important because I don't remember who it was from. :o