PDA

View Full Version : I can has NAME?

Suki Wingy
12-02-2007, 09:28 PM
Finally we just chose a name, but everyone still just cals him Kitty or Cat. He's oficially Chester or Chet.
- - - - - - - - -
1 WEEK UPDATE

Kitty still has no name. He and Niņo are having some issues. He automatically starts to hiss and scratch/bite whenever Niņo gets close. Niņo [the dog with practically no prey drive] acts like cat is a wonderful new toy and play bows, puts his ears and tail up, an spazes about.

Cat is a lover boy, very friendly but still kind of shy with people. He loves to be scratched behind his ears. We're now letting him out for a few hours and shutting Niņo upstairs. Kitty timidly comes out a few feet from the bathroom but is easily scared back in. He lets us hold/carry him, although he doesn't seem to like it much.

Friday I took him out onto the couch with me and he was fine, but I guess I forgot to close the door all the way because down came Niņo, who ran right up to us. Kitty got scared and tried to bite, and in trying not to let him go, thinking Niņo could easily unintentionally hurt him, I hung on to the cat. The result was several bites to my pointer finger. Cat ran into my room, I shut out Niņo, and Niņo promptly ran into the bathroom and started eating the cat's food. :rolleyes:

My stepdad is really sceptical about this, he's pretty sure kitty diserves a home without a dog, but we're still trying to make it work.
Suggestions welcome.

Name suggestions also welcome. Our only specifications are nothing to do with his white, fluffy look, nothing too cutsey, and it'd be an added bonus if it was something from a Joss Whedon show or Harry Potter. I've been kind of calling him "Diesel" in my head because he purrs very loudly and it sounds like a big diesel engine starting up.
[/end update]
- - - - - - - - - - -
There is a pretty white cat in my bathroom right now! Yesterday my mom brought home a litter box, food, bowls, and a crate. Then she went out to a friend's house to pick up a the cat that they had been feeding. He was a stray and the vet thought he may have originally been a pet. He's on a trial period right now, and is shut in the bathroom with all his stuff while he gets used to him. He's pretty scared, and is lurking in the corners so I don't have any pics but I'll post some when I get some.

:D

animal_rescue
12-02-2007, 09:39 PM
Aww that's so exciting! I hope it all works out, yay kitty! Got a name yet? :D

critter crazy
12-02-2007, 09:39 PM
Awww....congrats! Cant wait to see pics!!

Karen
12-02-2007, 09:42 PM
Wow! Congratulations on all accounts! It's okay, kitty ... this is a Pet Talk house - you've landed in the right place!

Suki Wingy
12-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Kitty has no name yet, but he has big, pretty green eyes. He kinda looks like the cat on the Fancy Feast cans.

Laura's Babies
12-02-2007, 10:12 PM
To bad he isn't a girl or Fancy should be her name...

Hope he settles in and works out! A Pet Talk home don't come along every day! Can't wait for pictures so HURRY up on those!

Catty1
12-03-2007, 12:53 AM
How about Fancy Pants? :) Relax, little guy - you will be so happy you won't believe it! ;)

Medusa
12-03-2007, 08:24 AM
Aw, w/lots of love, he'll come around. Good luck and can't wait to see the pic.

krazyaboutkatz
12-03-2007, 11:36 AM
Congrats!!!:) I hope that everything works out and I look forward to seeing some pictures of him. He must be a beautiful white Persian with gorgeous green eyes.:)

Suki Wingy
12-03-2007, 11:49 PM
His face isn't Persian-ish except for the big, round green eyes. He came out a bit today and let me pet him but he's still a little shy and we don't want to push it, so we visit him a few times a day but he's still in the bathroom. He knows how to use a litterbox already!

Freedom
12-04-2007, 06:57 AM
Kudos to your mom for helping this kitty!

moosmom
12-04-2007, 02:34 PM
That's WONDERFUL news!!!!

caffeitina
12-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Good luck with the new kitty. :)

RedHedd
12-04-2007, 09:50 PM
Aww! He sounds wonderful!

Suki Wingy
12-09-2007, 11:36 AM
Update in first post :)

kuhio98
12-09-2007, 12:00 PM
I don't have much experience in a cat and dog family, but how about this? Take one of your shirts (or something that smells like you) and put it in the dog bed. Let the dog sleep it on a day or 2. Then take the shirt and put it in the cat bed (or wherever the cat likes to sleep). Maybe he will learn to associate your smell and the dog's smell with comfort and slowly get used to the whole doggie idea. :)

kittycats_delight
12-09-2007, 12:01 PM
Eva...Kitty & Nino need to work out their place with each other. Can you not lock Nino up when kitty is roaming/exploring? Suggestion would be leash Nino and let Kitty free and let her come to Nino. Curiousity will get the better of her and she will want to investigate especially when she realizes Nino cannot get to her. Do this for 30 minutes or so 2 or 3 times a day after a few days she should realize she is safe and then things will progress much faster and more smoothly. I wouldn't confine her either if she tries to get away. You are better off letting her go and holding Nino. She needs to know she can escape and be safe if she needs to. I am sure there will be other suggestions as well. Please keep us updated and if you can post a pic so we can make some name suggestions. It's easier once we see her. ;)

One name suggestion for now>>>>>>Dash :)

Suki Wingy
12-09-2007, 12:14 PM
We've been putting Niņo in the crate and letting him (cat) out, but Niņo's loud whining scares kitty. I will definetly try the t-shirt idea because when he was out and sniffed the empty crate he got scared and ran back to his bathroom.

Karen
12-09-2007, 01:07 PM
August or Augustus because I bet his eyes look like peridot - the August birthstone? Could be Gus for short ...

catmandu
12-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Mr Scrappy And Scrappy Two Think That Scapster Would Make A Fine Name As He Certainly Has A Fighting Attitude.
I Think That He And Nino Will Work Things Out As Diesel Realizes That Nini Means Him No Harm And Wants Only To Play.
Scrappy Diesel, That Works For The Scrappys!!!

Suki Wingy
12-11-2007, 05:26 PM
another update on first post.

caffeitina
12-11-2007, 07:44 PM
Check out this site:

Pet Names (http://www.bowwow.com.au/)

Here you can search popular pet names and look up the meaning of names...kind of like a baby name book. For example, Howard (one of my kitties) means "Guardian" and "Courageous." Ironic since, for the most part, Howard is kind of the cowardly lion type...unless it refers to guarding the cat tower so Luna can't use it. lol :rolleyes: :p

Karen
12-11-2007, 07:49 PM
Chester is a fine name, welcome again, Chet!