PDA

View Full Version : Help me help a family in need.

jenluckenbach
12-02-2007, 09:40 AM
In this thread posted by Cataholic (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=136631), I discovered a "wish for a hero" website.

I started reading the other wishes.......

I stumbled on to this one.

The wish.... http://www.wishuponahero.com/wishes/?id=8681
I have posted a while ago, and I know that there just may not be a hero out there for us. I know there are a lot more needy people than us, so now my wish is for my 2 wonderful sons, they are 6 and 11. We just used my husband's Christmas bonus ($175) to get a little bit of oil in our tank. It filled it about 1/4 of the way- but at least we got something right :) Anyway- my wish now is for any heros out there to maybe send my boys some Christmas cards in the mail. They are not going to be getting anything from Santa this year unless we stumble upon a miracle. We used the only money we would have had for them to get the little bit of oil for heat. I know that they would be so happy to get cards in the mail. I just want to see them smile. They deserve it. We have had such a tough year and they just need some smiles:) They wouldn't complain if anyone wanted to throw a gift card in there either. It could be to anywhere- wal mart, target, McDonalds, what ever. Even if you want to put a dollar in it. Anything to help them have a good Christmas. My 11 year old will understand when we try to explain that Mom and Dad just don't have the money this year, but my 6 year old still believes in Santa and I'm not sure what we are going to tell him. I hate to even have to ask for help, but we just can't do it. Like I said- even just a card would put a smile on their face for Christmas. Email me or comment and I will give you our address. God bless all the heros who have helped so many:)

I offered to grant the wish. (All she asked for, was Christmas cards). But I hope to secretly do more. These people are local to me, I guess that was one of the things that caught my attention.

So I am posting this thread for 2 reasons......

1) Would anyone else be willing to send a greeting card? (If so, I can PM you with the address once I receive it)

AND

2) Besides gift cards, what type of toys/gifts would thrill an 11 year old boy and a 6 year old boy? (boys are not my specialty: o)

This will be my Christmas "good deed" for this year. ( I always like to do something unexpected, for someone, each Christmas).

Catty1
12-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Jen - at work my boss has a whole bunch of McDonald's snack coupons that are only good in the USA. I will double check they have no expiry date!

At least the boys could get a Christmas treat or two!

And I will be glad to send cards!

TY

Candace

jenluckenbach
12-02-2007, 10:15 AM
Jen - at work my boss has a whole bunch of McDonald's snack coupons that are only good in the USA. I will double check they have no expiry date!

At least the boys could get a Christmas treat or two!

And I will be glad to send cards!

TY

Candace
That would be TOTALLY excellent!!!

I am still awaiting a response with the address.

jenluckenbach
12-02-2007, 10:33 AM
GGRR>>>> Now I can't get to the website at all. :( :(

I received an email saying I have a new meesage, but internet explorer can't find the website. FRUSTRATING!!!

Laura's Babies
12-02-2007, 11:43 AM
Hummmm... If you can get that address to me asap, I will make him a card with the picture of the boat on it and send it from the river... (I leave Wednesday so there is a rush for me to get that address..)

jenluckenbach
12-02-2007, 12:08 PM
I finally got access. I can't wait to help this family!!!

orangemm
12-02-2007, 03:02 PM
Jen, send me their address. I'll send a card and whatever else I can manage.

jennielynn1970
12-02-2007, 03:07 PM
Same here!! Will do whatever I can to help a local family out!

jenluckenbach
12-02-2007, 03:16 PM
This is so great. What a surpize waits for them. :)

momcat
12-02-2007, 06:54 PM
Count me in, Jen. I'm going to talk to my Pastor to see if just maybe we can find a gifts for kids collection group willing to send these two boys something to unwrap. Sadly, now that Soncat is grown I have no idea of what boys that age are into.

jenluckenbach
12-02-2007, 07:17 PM
Count me in, Jen. I'm going to talk to my Pastor to see if just maybe we can find a gifts for kids collection group willing to send these two boys something to unwrap. Sadly, now that Soncat is grown I have no idea of what boys that age are into.
That would be fabulous!! :D

Laura's Babies
12-02-2007, 10:23 PM
Got one ready to mail from a Cajun Santa from home and will send more from the boat!

jenluckenbach
12-03-2007, 06:18 AM
Thank you, Laura!

I even posted my own wish on this site. http://www.wishuponahero.com/wishes/?id=8845 It is to help One by One cat rescue. :)

G535
12-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Count me in too!

Do kids still collect stamps? I have a few decent ones that I can put in with the card.

jenluckenbach
12-08-2007, 05:23 AM
I have been in contact with this family (she actually offered to help ME with my wish for One by One!) and the boys have begun receiving their cards and are THRILLED!!!

I believe THIS is what Christmas is truly about. :)

Catty1
12-08-2007, 10:14 AM
The coupons were going to take 2-3 weeks, so I sent them priority! They should have them by now, I hope.....5-6 business days....

AmberLee
12-08-2007, 10:14 AM
I can send a card from California. Please PM me.

sumbirdy
12-08-2007, 03:56 PM
Maybe boys that age are into trucks...cars...train sets...legos? I'm not sure but I believe cars are favorites of young boys. Gift cards would probably be a good idea that way they can pick out their own stuff (or their mother can pick it out)

I would love to help but unfortunately can't as we are having our own troubles trying to get Nathan something from Santa as well. But maybe you could PM me the address and the people that are helping us out might like to help them out too.

Catty1
12-12-2007, 11:51 AM
From the mom and boys - my eyes and nose were stinging and so was my employer's! We sent a ton of McDonald's coupons that she had used for a promo in the USA, and they were only good there - til the end of December!
WOW! To me, this is SO what this is all about!

THANK YOU JEN! :D

Hi S_____-
I just wanted to let you know that we got the card with all the coupons in it:) The boys faces lit up so big I needed sunglasses:) That was such a sweet thing to do and we appreciate it so very much. You have made our holiday so much brighter:) You are an angel!!! Both boys are going to take a few of them to school and give them out to some of their friends who are in the same boat we are in this year. They are so excited. I promised them that we could stop there everyday after school until the coupons are gone. What a treat for them. Their friends will love it too. There are so many families at their schools this year that are having problems that I know this will help them out a great deal too:) You have done a great thing, and I can not begin to thank you enough. We are so gratefull to you and this has truly been a great surprise:) Thank you, Thank you, Thank you:) Have a wonderfull holiday and may God bless you and your family this year:)
Love,
Jaime, Matthew and Brian

Maya & Inka's mommy
12-12-2007, 02:56 PM
Please send me their address, Jen; I bet they will love to receive a card from across the big ocean ;) :)

jenluckenbach
12-12-2007, 02:59 PM
BIG SMILES :) :D :)

What a wonderful feeling.

I'll PM you Lut. thanks