PDA

View Full Version : Papa is coming home - UPDATE: Memaw is in E.R.

Kfamr
11-29-2007, 09:13 PM
For those who haven't been following, my Papa (grandpa) has been in and out of mental wards, hospitals, nursing homes, etc. since May. In Semptember he tried killing himself.

They have tried everything under the moon to get him back to "himself." They think he's as best as he's going to be and are allowing him to go home permanently tomorrow (11/30.) The last time they allowed this is when he tried commiting suicide. This time, all of his pills are going to be locked in a safe that only my Mamaw (grandma) has access to.

Please keep the both of them in your thoughts - that my Papa behaves. My poor Memaw will no longer have any freedom. Papa is just like a child now and needs to be supervised - she won't be able to take a quick trip to the store, bingo, etc. without calling someone to come watch Papa.

caseysmom
11-29-2007, 09:16 PM
I am so happy, even though it will be a strain on your grandmother I am sure she will be so happy to have him home. I am sure your family can give her little breaks to run to the store. My father had Alzheimers and my mom was in the same situation, she would bring him over for me to keep an eye on him when she needed to get out.

Once he went to his lodge and she had car trouble, I had to race over to get him and sure enough he had wandered off since she wasn't there right on time, luckily I found him. Just remember those little breaks will mean a lot to grandma.

anna_66
11-29-2007, 09:28 PM
Kay I can totally sympathise with this as Mark's mom has gotten to be the same way. She hasn't tried killing herself but most of the time she doesn't know where she is (she constantly wants to go home and she IS home). And a lot of times she calls Mark her little brother:(
It's so very sad to see them get this way isn't it? Like their little kids and don't know what to do.

Let your grandma know that I'll be thinking of her and keeping her in my prayers.

(((HUGS))) to you too.

Karen
11-29-2007, 09:34 PM
Your family will all be in our prayers.

Cinder & Smoke
11-29-2007, 09:58 PM
My poor Memaw will no longer have any freedom.
Papa is just like a child now and needs to be supervised -
she won't be able to take a quick trip to the store, bingo, etc.
without calling someone to come watch Papa.

Kay ~

She doesn't have to be "on her own" with managing Papa -
the Alzheimer's Association >> http://www.alz.org/ (http://www.alz.org/) <<
is a huge, Nationwide, assistance organization that has chapters in every state
and most every city ... Here's YOUR Local Chapter >>>
http://www.alz-tbc.org/ (http://www.alz-tbc.org/) (Florida Gulf Coast Chapter )

Give 'em a call - toll free = 800-772-8672

One thing a lot of the Chapters do is organize Day Care Centers -
where patients can meet and enjoy group activities - and allow their
regular Care Givers some "time off" without having to worry about the patient.

Most Alzheimer's programs are either FREE or super low-cost to the patient -
everyone can afford to be helped.

/s/ Phred

joycenalex
11-29-2007, 10:01 PM
i'm hopeful for your family kay, try giving the alzheimers' people a call, there is help and respite care out there for asking (and as always paperwork ) hugs to your grandmother and papa

ramanth
11-29-2007, 11:14 PM
Many loving prayers for your grandparents.

K9karen
11-29-2007, 11:36 PM
I'm so sorry, Kay. I know how close you are to you grandparents.

It's very painful to watch those we love, esp. our elders, deteriorate from illness. I know your family is doing everything to help your grandmother cope. Believe me, a caretaker's job is not pretty.But you already know that. Hugs to you and your family, my friend.

Kfamr
11-30-2007, 02:04 AM
Thanks for the info, Phred, but my grandfather does not have Alzheimer's.

They've looked into house nurses and such - everything is too pricey. We're already in a deep hole as it is with his hospital bills, nursing home bills, her hospital bills, etc. We're just going to help her the best we can.

Everyone else, thanks for your well wishes. :) I'm really nervous about him coming home but happy on the same level.

Daisy and Delilah
11-30-2007, 07:36 AM
Kay, my thoughts and prayers are with all of you. I've been through something similar with my Grandmother and now with my Mother. Bless all of you. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Catty1
11-30-2007, 10:52 AM
Someone call your congressman's office - the staff there are so connected with what is available! There might be something as yet undiscovered!

Google Elder Lawyers - if they offer a free consultation, it's worth it. They helped out an elderly couple I know in Washington state.

And a local volunteer agency, local Mental Health association.

There's gotta be something!

cassiesmom
11-30-2007, 11:35 AM
You might call the Alzheimer's Association anyway. They might have good information about adult day services or caregiver assistance, without regard for the person's diagnosis.

Around here our township office is the info source for senior citizens so you might call your village hall or county office or somewhere like that.

See www.aarp.org/families/caregiving too

Prayers for Papa, Memaw and Kay.

Ginger's Mom
11-30-2007, 01:00 PM
Kay, I really do feel for you and your family. This is not an easy situation for anyone. I don't know about your county, but the Office of Aging (or I think it may be called Council on Aging down there) do offer some free and low cost services. It isn't much, but take advantage of what is there (in Indian River County they offer Day Care, if you transport the patient there, or they offer respite care for a couple of hours a week; for a fee they also offer housekeeping services if that would help your grandmother-I just mention these as some of the things you could ask about). I do understand how hard it is, and I will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Kfamr
11-30-2007, 03:26 PM
UGH.. One thing after another.

Memaw is in the hospital now. She was going to the restroom this morning and her feces was full of blood. So, she went to the E.R. She has a ruptured vein or something. They are going to keep her over night.

Papa is still coming home but my aunt is going to stay with him tonight or as long as they need to keep my grandmother.

I really hope 2008 will be a better year. :(

critter crazy
11-30-2007, 03:33 PM
Oh kay!!! I am so sorry your Memaw went into the Hospital!! Gosh! I sure hope your papa behaves, for your aunt!! I am sending prayers for you family, that everything works out well!

gini
11-30-2007, 03:53 PM
KayAnn - you have my prayers for your entire family. I am so sorry that you are going through such a rough patch in life.

.sarah
11-30-2007, 03:54 PM
Kay I am so sorry! :(

Catty1
11-30-2007, 03:59 PM
{{{{{hugs}}}}}

I hope it is nothing serious for your Memaw, and she feels better soon! Hopefully Papa will know he is really home, and relax a bit.

cyber-sibes
11-30-2007, 06:01 PM
Prayers for both your grandparents, Kay. Like they say, growing old ain't for the faint-hearted. Unfortunately we don't have much choice, do we? I hope your family will look into community resources, sounds like several good possibilities have already been mentioned.

caseysmom
11-30-2007, 06:05 PM
Gosh that was bad timing, I am sorry about your Grandma. I hope she recovers real quickly.

sabies
11-30-2007, 07:19 PM
Kay, lots of good thoughts heading your way!

K9karen
11-30-2007, 11:50 PM
Sorry about your Memaw, Kay. It sounds scary, but lucklly the docs seem to have it under control.

Kay, trust me, there are very few people who have the ability to pay for nursing homes on their own. I sought out an ElderCare lawyer, and believe me, it was a life saver. Of course there's the lawyer's fee but they do all the paperwork etc. I know there's a stigma with nursing homes and nobody wants anyone to be in one, but there may come a time when it's necessary, for your Memaw's health too, Good Luck and Hugs to all.

joycenalex
12-01-2007, 06:41 AM
kay, i'll be keeping your family in my prayers

Daisy and Delilah
12-01-2007, 07:43 AM
{{{{{{Kay And Family}}}}}}

Freedom
12-01-2007, 08:23 AM
Prayers for healing for both your grandparents; prayers and hugs for you and all your family including your grandparents.

Alysser
12-01-2007, 09:13 AM
Kay, I am really sorry to hear this. (((hugs))) to you! Any updates today?

ramanth
12-01-2007, 11:15 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that your grandma is not well. What a scary thing! I hope she recovers quickly and can be home soon.

cassiesmom
12-01-2007, 02:24 PM
Saturday, 2:25 PM - Kay, I am just checking to see if there's an update. I hope everything is going okay today. Thinking of you all this afternoon with a [[[hug]]]

*LabLoverKEB*
12-01-2007, 03:27 PM
Oh, no Kay! I'm so sorry to hear about your Papa- I know what you are going through! My Papa went through something similar in July of last year...
I am also sorry to hear about dear Memaw, I really do hope that she gets well! Keep us updated, okay? (((((hugs)))) & prayers! :)

caseysmom
12-02-2007, 11:58 AM
Any update on your grandparents Kay? I hope Grandma and Grandpa are home now.

Kfamr
12-02-2007, 03:04 PM
Grandma is still in the hospital.

They also found Colon Polyps while doing a colonoscopy. She's on a strict liquid diet and she told me "I want a damned cup of coffee!!!!" That's my Memaw. ;) :p She's feeling okay she says but I'm not sure when she'll be able to go home.

Papa is doing well. :)

caseysmom
12-02-2007, 05:32 PM
Oh I couldn't cope without my coffee either, I understand where she is coming from.

luvofallhorses
12-02-2007, 08:05 PM
your whole family will be in my thoughts and prayers, Kay! ((((HUGS))))

K9karen
12-02-2007, 11:12 PM
Your Memaw is my kind of woman....a coffee lover too!!! Hope she's going to be OK. I'm glad your papa is doing good.

wolf_Q
12-02-2007, 11:30 PM
I've been thinking of your family! I'm glad to hear your Papa is doing better, I hope your Memaw will be coming home soon too. :) Somebody did get her coffee, right? ;)

Catty1
12-03-2007, 01:00 AM
Glad Papa is doing ok! :)

Docs often remove any polyps they find when they do a colonoscopy - I hope they removed hers! Maybe that's why she is on a restricted diet.

COFFEE...I was in the Admissions lineup in May to check in for surgery...had eaten NOTHING since the night before...and a coffee shop was right there in the lobby, and the coffee scent drove me nuts! "GIVE ME COFFEE AND NO ONE GETS HURT!" ;)

Your MeMaw sounds pretty feisty - I think she'll be home soon!

Kfamr
12-04-2007, 02:37 PM
My grandma came home from the hospital today. I'm going over there at 4 and spending the night with them.

Grandma mentioned her dogs need to be groomed... shall be fun. ;)

Cinder & Smoke
12-04-2007, 02:49 PM
:D

WELCOME HOME, GranMaw!! :)

Are you taking any of YOUR Kids along for the overnighter, Kay?

And what's for dinner?

Kfamr
12-04-2007, 03:34 PM
Nope - her three are enough to deal with, along with the two people I've got to care for. ;) I'm leaving directly from there to help Sarah and Don (AnimalHouse26) move, so that wouldn't work out anyways. ;)

Shepherds Pie is for dinner! Memaw needed something high carb so this should do.

pitc9
12-04-2007, 04:08 PM
I'm glad she's home!

K9soul
12-04-2007, 07:38 PM
I'm glad your grandparents can finally be home and I hope they can enjoy some peace together. I am sure they treasure your love and your help. I bet the dinner will be delicious too!

gini
12-04-2007, 07:59 PM
It must make you feel wonderful that they are home together and on the mend.
How nice of you to take them dinner....... I know they are going to love it.

I am glad that there is much better news on this thread.

cyber-sibes
12-04-2007, 10:22 PM
Glad to hear she's back home. Dinner sounds delicious-- especially followed by a nice cup of coffee! ;)