PDA

View Full Version : Ring Worm?

ChewmonkeyBC
08-09-2002, 09:40 PM
OUr pregnant Guinea Pig Mrs.Missy looks like she has ring worm on each side of her,one by her back legs and one up by her front legs.do u think ring worm medicne of ours would work on her,i mean they test stuff like that on them and if it dosnt hurt them they let us use it,so wouldnt it work??
-Kayla

sujei
08-12-2002, 01:11 PM
hmmm even so, i think u should call a vet knowledgeable on guinea pigs and ask them about ur specific medicine and describe the "ringworm" most vets if not all will be happy to talk to you and it wont cost u anything. so be on the safe side and call. good luck.;) :) :cool: and keep us updated.

ChewmonkeyBC
08-12-2002, 08:25 PM
OK,
I am going to ask the vet tomarro and see if he will know because we have to take our sheltie,we r affraid that she might have cancer.......

-Kayla

sujei
08-15-2002, 05:32 AM
thats good to take the opportunity but sad for the suspected cancer. i hope ur suspisions are wrong and that ur dog is ok. i hope everything goes well. keep us posted;)

lv4dogs
09-11-2002, 02:55 PM
It might be late to reply but I would think our medicine should work on them as it is safe to use on dogs, cats, rabbitts, rats. It is the same as athletes foot medicine it comes in powder, spray and cream the spray works the best but I would not use the spray on animals especially small ones. The cream works the second best and the powder does work too good for roundworm. Just make sure you rub it in well and keep the pet occupied for about 15 minutes so it will not lick it off.

apcrs5122
03-08-2003, 01:37 PM
Miconozal 1 or 2% 1 time a day would help. You could ask the vet about lime dip that would be diluted with water and used 1 time a weedk. My piggie has ringworm too!

Jessica12345
03-09-2003, 11:33 AM
i hope everythings ok with ur pig and dog:(

Treen
03-09-2003, 06:08 PM
Here are a few of links for info on ringworm (if it is that - it would be best if your vet could see her to confirm, so you know you are looking to treat the correct condition).

http://www.guinealynx.info/hairloss.html#fungus
http://www.copperlily.com/scuttlernet/ringworm.html
http://www.cavycrazyuk.com/fungal

Hopefully the vet will be able to advise you and give you something that is safe for a pregnant piggy. You need to get it treated or it's very likely her bubs will develop it too. Remember that griseofulvin, one of the most effective medications for ringworm in piggers, should never be given to a pregnant sow as it can harm the bubs.

I really wouldn't use any human medication on a guinea pig unless it is recommended by a cavy knowledgeable vet, especially not with your piggy being pregnant. Many medications and treatments are safe for us applied topically, but as a piggy will ingest whatever you put on it, you need to be extremely careful - even if you wait for it to sink in before you allow them to groom. It's just not worth risking.

Also see Peter Gurney's page on skin problems http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/skinp.htm . That does suggest a home treatment made of essential oils for mild fungal problems. Might be worth considering if you are unable to afford proper treatment. If she's pregnant, it would be far too stressful for her to do the full treatment now, especially with the necessary bathing, but you could make up a small amount to apply directly on the affected parts. It could keep it under control and would soothe the irritation. Provided she is housed inside, you can treat small areas without the need for bathing it off.

Remember ringworm is very contagious and they can pass it on to us, so be very careful with hygeine for yourself and between handling different pigs. Good luck with both at the vets.

Treen
03-09-2003, 06:10 PM
Whoops - just realised how old this thread is! Have we got an update on how the piggers are? I hope all is well.

Jessica12345
03-14-2003, 04:09 PM
whoops:eek: :o :eek: I guess it is pretty old huh? lol update please?:confused:

ChewmonkeyBC
04-11-2003, 06:02 PM
The medicin did work.....and the ring worm went away...couple days latter she just suddenly started looseing weight,so we where going to take her to the vet but the next morning she was dead.....Sorry I havent updated this post!

-Kay