PDA

View Full Version : last post surgery update

joycenalex
11-28-2007, 04:29 PM
*this is an update 12/28/2007*dramatic huh? i'm having surgery that am. in september 2003 i had gastric bypass surgery and since then i've lost and kept off almost 120#.as time has gone by, many things have gone "south". i promised myself that if i kept the weight off, i was going to make sure i looked as good as i felt. the planning has come to fruition, the money is ready and the 2 surgeons are aligned. as richard knows(hi richard! ) getting one surgeon in line can be interesting, getting 2 organized, well it's been an experience. the time has come to have the hernia repaired and have a tummy tuck/breast lift. if you're squeamish stop reading at the end of the sentence and i'll let you know when you can start again.~~~~~~~~
the general surgeon starts first, he'll push in the hernia, mesh patch the area, suture the underlying muscles together and leave. he's talented but a frosty dude, aka he's known as a snot in my hospital. the plastic surgeon then comes in. she'll have marked me up first in the pre op pen. the girls will go down to b-cups (victoria secret i'm coming!). the weight being lifted truly from my neck and shoulders and upper back will be immense. the abdominoplasty will take longer. the incision will be a reverse t shape. she'll liposuction the depleted adipose (fat) cells up, then she'll remove the excess skin. despite urban legends, it cannot be used for the burn patients as a temporary cover for them. she'll suture several underlying areas shut, suture my skin closed, then she'll leave. the or staff will then wrestle my unconscious form into a post surgical compression garment, something like a long line body briefer. the very sweet anesthiaologist will wake me up. i expect, as i have every time i've had surgery, i'll vomit and get everybody all excited. i'll be a inpatient overnight at least.
~~~~~~~ start reading again....
i have made and froze almost a months worth of raw food for the dogs (if anyone looks in the freezer in the basement, it looks like a butcher shop). i have made and froze dozens of meals for me and eileen. i have not told my mother about this. my mother is in not good shape and she would get into her car and come down here, i'd feel guilty and try to wait on her, and the cycle isn't pretty to think about. i'll call her after i'm back home, she'll be upset but i cannot take care of her and myself at this time so i made the hard choice to tapdance around this for awhile.
i will sleep with in the recliner, under a pillow, we all know our cats will walk over our sleeping forms if they can, alex will want into the recliner, so the pillow is protection from paws.
eileen will post under my screen name to do an update tuesday night after she leaves the hospital. please keep me, and my furries in your thoughts, i'm alternating between fear and exhileration.

lizbud
11-28-2007, 04:51 PM
Wow. Sounds like a lot of surgery at once. Prayers for a complete
recovery and quick healing.

RobiLee
11-28-2007, 05:20 PM
I am extremely jealous!! This is something that I have wanted to have done for a very long time. I know it will be a painful recovery but it will be worth it. I always say I am not having any more surgeries unless everything that you are having done is included...lol. I have a hernia that is going to have to be taken care of one of these days. Maybe I should start saving to have all the extras done like you did.

You have to pm me with all the details! How did you ever go about picking a doctor? What hospital? How much? I want to know it all...lol

I have to go to the hospital the morning of your surgery for some tests so when I am laying there having my scan done I will be thinking of you and wishing you a safe surgery and a very easy recovery with beautiful results in the end.

Pam
11-28-2007, 05:27 PM
Congratulations on your weight loss and keeping it off. All of PT Land will, of course, be thinking of you on December 4th. I watch many of the programs on Discovery Health and the procedure that you had (gastric bypass) has been covered many times as has the removal of excess skin tissue afterwards. These people look absolutely terrific, however it sure doesn't appear to be a day at the beach (the recovery). I am sure your doctor has informed you that it will be tough. Keep your eyes on the prize though!! We all commend you for your determination. You go girl! :cool:

lizbud
11-28-2007, 06:07 PM
Just remembered that my next door neighbor had gastric bypass surgery
about 1 year 1/2 ago. She always was a beautiful girl, but way overweight.
She had tried just about every diet there is & could never lose weight. Well,
you should she her now. She lost over 100lbs and bought a whole new
wordrobe. She looks great. :)

K9karen
11-28-2007, 10:56 PM
Good for you! I have 2 friends who also had gastric bypass and as you know, the results were amazing. So much so, that every time I saw them, tears would well up from awe! Both these girls also had lifts and tucks and excess skin removed. All I can say, from what they've said, is that it was worth every painful minute. Neither of these girls ever lacked confidence before the surgery, but afterwards, when they walked into a room, they glowed.

Surgery is always scary. I will be thinking of you. Ask the anesthesologist (sp) for anti-nausea meds. I always do because I used to get so ill afterwards. I expect to see you modeling your Victoria Secret stuff! OMG! Your wardrobe is going to be fantastic!

What a wonderful Christmas gift you're giving yourself! Good Luck and Hugs and Blessings!

Karen
11-28-2007, 11:19 PM
We'll all be thinking of you! You'll be in our prayers that everything goes as well as it possibly could! I need to get back to exercising and losing weight myself.

shais_mom
11-28-2007, 11:20 PM
Big GENTLE HUGS on the way for you...

krazyaboutkatz
11-29-2007, 12:27 AM
Congrats on your weight loss.:) I sure hope that everything will go well for you and that you'll have a speedy recovery too.:) I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Pawsitive Thinking
11-29-2007, 05:48 AM
Good luck - you are going to look amazing

Ginger's Mom
11-29-2007, 05:56 AM
Congratulations on your weight loss. Prayers and good thoughts will be going out all next week for you for a quick and relatively pain free recovery.

Laura's Babies
11-29-2007, 08:26 AM
GOOD LUCK! Many good thoughts coming your way! I will be leaving for work Wednesday and will not be able to see the updates but I WILL be thinking about you. So I want to wish you much good luck and hope you get better results than you expect. Maybe after all the healing is done, you can post before and after pictures of with the weight and after the surgery!

My neighbor is obese and she us using a medicine called "Byetta" to loose it. it is insulin that diabetics use and she injects herself with it, and stcks to a diet he gave her, plus does water arobics.. She met this doctor in Wal Mart (of all places) when he came along to help her get something off a top shlef that was impossiable for her to reach. He gave her his card and told her to call for an appointment, that he could help her.

She has to date lost 92 pounds and is aiming for a even 100 by Christmas. My guess is she still has another 100 to loose after that.. She said she is loosing it so fast that her body has lost it's balance but we are all so proud of her and already she is able to walk a whole lot easier. (she was hardly able to walk before) So, good luck to you and congratulations on that weight loss, that is a major accomplishment.

anna_66
11-29-2007, 08:42 AM
Joyce I've been thinking of you and your upcoming surgery. I'm hoping that all goes well and that you don't get sick from the anesthesia this time around.

Your going to feel and look like a new woman!

I wish we could have gotten together before this, but when your all healed we'll definitely have to get together:)

I'll be thinking of you Tuesday and wishing you the best of luck!

Taz_Zoee
11-29-2007, 10:05 AM
I love hearing stories of people who have lost weight (even though I am gaining :rolleyes: ). I watch Biggest Loser every season.
Congrats on your weight loss and I will be thinking of you on that day while I am at the dentist (blah!).

Cincy'sMom
11-29-2007, 10:42 AM
I wish we could have gotten together before this, but when your all healed we'll definitely have to get together:)

I'll be thinking of you Tuesday and wishing you the best of luck!

I had the same thought...I think we will need a shopping trip for a new spring wadrode!

Good luck Tuesday!!

Logan
11-29-2007, 11:29 AM
Blessings to you, Joyce! What brave decisions you have made about your health, and I applaud you. I hope that all of these new surgical procedures will be exactly what you want. My best wishes and prayers go with you!!

Logan

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-29-2007, 03:28 PM
Good luck with your surgery, Joyce! Looks like we will both be in hospital this coming week :)
Good luck with your surgery, Joyce!

pitc9
11-29-2007, 03:54 PM
Joyce, I'm so proud of you for loosing and keeping the weight off.
I'm happy for you that you'll look as good as you feel soon!!

I wish you the fullest and fastest recovery EVER!! :p

And I can't wait to meet up with you for a shopping spree next year!!

{{{hugs}}}}

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers!

Cataholic
11-30-2007, 09:18 AM
Good luck, and recover quickly!!!

joycenalex
11-30-2007, 09:12 PM
in talking to both surgeons offices today i might not have the surgery till noon on tuesday. :eek: ugh, being nothing to eat or drink till after midnight is gonna be tough. if they start surgery at noon, i won't be done and in recovery till 6ish. i won't be out of the hospital till thursday, not a fun idea. i'm gonna miss alex so much. i love the other ones, but alex is my baby. the good news is that i got the leave papers today faxed to my boss' boss ;)

joycenalex
12-03-2007, 04:34 PM
cleaned out my locker, i left my customer service awards and came home with my coffee mug and grooming supplies. i am still scared and then i'm excited. see you all later this week!

RobiLee
12-03-2007, 05:28 PM
I'll be thinking about you tomorrow, Joyce! I hope the surgery is a HUGE success and that you have a speedy recovery.

{{HUGS}}

lizbud
12-03-2007, 05:46 PM
Will be thinking about you tomorrow. Wishing you the best in surgery and
a smooth recovery.

Cinder & Smoke
12-03-2007, 06:48 PM
;)

Hi God ~

Hope You've got Tubby & PeaNutter on call fur da morning - and that they gotz
the Silver Klowd all gassed up an ready ta GO ...

Set Your alarm an lay out Your kleen Skrubbies, da Halo Hat, anna Bunny Booties -
Miz Joyce is gonna be expectin ta see Ya fur Sir Jury atta Hoppsbittle!
Please help da White Coats wiffa ree-arrangin - make allua partz Look GOOD!

We'll all be sendin PT Purrayers tanite --- and krossin Pawz & Klawz till we hear she's
onna gettin better list.

THANKS fur Helpin out, God!

/s/ the Prayer Pups

carole
12-03-2007, 07:10 PM
WOW you are so very brave, i wish you all the best for a speedy recovery, will be thinking of you and hoping you will soon be back home again with you furbabies, the new you. :)

sirrahbed
12-03-2007, 07:30 PM
Wishing you the best for tomorrow's surgery and a good night of sleep tonight! :)

anna_66
12-04-2007, 06:15 AM
Joyce I couldn't remember what time you were having your surgery today, but I assume it's early.
I just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you and hope it all goes as planned. I'll be waiting to hear from Eileen on how it all went.

(((HUGS)))
Anna

Cincy'sMom
12-04-2007, 06:43 AM
Lots of thoughts and prayers coming your way today, Joyce!

Rachel
12-04-2007, 07:25 AM
in talking to both surgeons offices today i might not have the surgery till noon on tuesday. :eek: ugh, being nothing to eat or drink till after midnight is gonna be tough. if they start surgery at noon, i won't be done and in recovery till 6ish. i won't be out of the hospital till thursday, not a fun idea. i'm gonna miss alex so much. i love the other ones, but alex is my baby. the good news is that i got the leave papers today faxed to my boss' boss ;)

Here you go, Anna. Joyce, I'm starting right now with prayers for you to be calm and not bothered by the lack of water, etc, and that the surgery will go smoothly and solve the problems your are seeking to correct. You won't be alone and there will be thoughts and prayers surrounding you from your friends here.

Cataholic
12-04-2007, 09:40 AM
Thinking of you today, Joyce!! Good luck, speedy recovery, and check in when you can.

Ginger's Mom
12-04-2007, 09:46 AM
Thinking of you today, Joyce, and sending out lots of positive thoughts.

pitc9
12-04-2007, 02:02 PM
Thinking of you!!!

Karen
12-04-2007, 04:04 PM
Still thinking of you!

pitc9
12-05-2007, 11:15 AM
Wondering how you're doing!
Waiting for an update from Eileen on how everything went!

cyber-sibes
12-05-2007, 12:41 PM
Whoa, where have I been? Just saw this - and will add my thoughts & prayers for a smooth recovery. Congratulations!

joycenalex
12-05-2007, 04:25 PM
i'm just now home. and everything went well. i am buzzed big time and i am going to bed as soon as i sign off here. surgery time was 4 hours, i was in recovery for 4 hours(no clean room upstairs). the surgeon too off almost 5#, and the hernia is flat! so no baby head sticking up. woo hoo, well i'm gonna take 2 vicodans and go to sleep.

Cincy'sMom
12-05-2007, 04:31 PM
Glad to hear you are home and everything went well! Enjoy your time in a drug induced happy land!!!

lizbud
12-05-2007, 04:33 PM
It's good to hear that things went well & you are back home. :) Now,
rest, rest and more rest is what you need. Hope the mending goes smoothly.

Cinder & Smoke
12-05-2007, 06:46 PM
:)

WELCOME back HOME!! ;)

Glad the Fix & Shuffle went well - now Lay Low till you really feel GOOD!

Hey God ~

**THANKS** for allua Help ... one request -
please kepp the Happie Pills in plentiful supply. ;)

{{{Hugs}}} to the Patient!

Catty1
12-05-2007, 06:51 PM
Sleep lots, pain meds and water...hope you get waited on just a bit! :D

Welcome home!

shais_mom
12-05-2007, 11:14 PM
welcome home Joyce! :D sleep and rest well!

Rachel
12-06-2007, 05:34 AM
Thanks for checking in. That is amazing that you are home so quickly after an operation that took that amount of time. Obviously all must have went well. Now for the recovery to go smoothly. Tell Alex no jumping on that incision.

Daisy and Delilah
12-06-2007, 05:38 AM
Best wishes for a very speedy recovery!! Take it easy and rest, rest, and, rest some more :)

pitc9
12-06-2007, 07:39 AM
Glad to hear from you and that everything went well!!
5 pounds... wow! :eek:
Feel better soon!

anna_66
12-06-2007, 10:01 AM
I was just heading off to work and thought I'd see if you'd checked in.
Glad to hear everything went well and your doing fine.

Get lots of rest and I hope your not hurting too bad.

gini
12-06-2007, 11:55 AM
I am in awe of all that you had done! I hope you are resting comfortably today.

joycenalex
12-06-2007, 12:13 PM
i was asleep till 10 minutes ago in the recliner, darling shawn, my babysitter of the day is asleep on the couch, he works nights. alex was asleep on my left knee, princess peanut was asleep on my right knee, the puffiest pillow was on top of me and i'm not sure which cat was on the pillow. since the vicodan is working, i'm only sore when i'm getting up and down from a sitting position. eileen will be home after 5. as counrty wolf posted, we got a fair bit of snow yesterday, so it's pretty looking outside. sorry for any misspellings, the brain portion that has spell check in it is affected by meds.

ramanth
12-06-2007, 02:26 PM
Glad the surgery went well! My best to you for a speedy recovery. :)

K9karen
12-06-2007, 11:03 PM
Joyce..Thanks for taking the time to update us! I'm thrilled the surgery went well. Remember nothing heals overnight, so take it easy and relax and get spoiled. As I told you, I have many friends who had GB and look and feel terrific. Glad, too, that the hernia was flat! Careful not to get a tummy upset the the Vicodins. YAY for you! Welcome home!!!

Pam
12-07-2007, 06:33 AM
Welcome home and thank you for keeping us up to date. Relax and take it easy and check in when you feel up to it. :)

Medusa
12-07-2007, 06:35 AM
I'll admit to not having read every post but I got the gist of it and I'm very happy for you. I've been wanting a friend of mine to have a gastric bypass done for years. She's gained over 200 lbs. since I've known her and I'm so concerned about her health. She becomes furious if anyone even mentions her weight because she takes it as criticism rather than concern. Right now, though, isn't the time to broach the subject again because her husband is dying of pancreatic cancer, which is another reason I'm so concerned about her. I'm going to show her this thread later on, though, and hopefully, she'll realize that it could be the solution to her weight loss dilemma. I'm so glad everything is working out for you and that you're on the road to recovery and a brand new life. It's just fantastic!

anna_66
12-07-2007, 07:40 AM
Joyce after all that I'm not sure how you had done I'm not sure how you can even get up to be on the computer:eek:

Take care and get lots of rest!

krazyaboutkatz
12-07-2007, 11:36 AM
I'm glad to hear that you're doing well and I hope that you make a speedy recovery. Please take care.:)

pitc9
12-07-2007, 11:45 AM
Thanks for checking in again Joyce!

It's nice to have all your babysitters close by! :D

joycenalex
12-09-2007, 02:32 PM
time for a bit of whining/snivling/grumpiness. i'm tired of standing up in stages, i'm tired of sleeping in the recliner, under 2 pillows cause one of the cats is sleeping on top of me when i only am under one(>>>and i think i know who it is). i'm tired of not feeling like myself, drugs make me fuzzy and the wooziness is now annoying, but it is making the pm news more interesting. i wanna walk my dogs, i wanna go past the end of the side porch, i wanna do my own laundry and how in the heck did the kitchen walls get so many little speckles of food on them, and (voice going up here) why can i smell the trash? shuffle grump shuffle grump, mumble........

Karen
12-09-2007, 05:53 PM
Now, now, dear, patience!

When I had the only major surgery I've ever had, it was brain surgery, and it completely wiped out my sense of balance. If I closed my eyes, I felt like the bed was listing at about a 45-degree angle, and I slept with my glasses on for two days because I was completely incapable of turning myself over onto my side. I'd think ... "Hmm, I'd like to roll over .." and my body would respond "What is roll over?"

K9karen
12-09-2007, 09:15 PM
Aw, Joyce, I'm so sorry you're feeling miserable. Please remember, it's only been a few days..time goes so slow when you're unable to do anything, I know, I've been there.l

I think I told you that 2 friends of mine had the same procedure. and they felt the same way as you. Just think of your future and how great you'll look and feel later. I'm with you on the trash, dog walk, food on the walls.....know what I did? Nuthin'. I decided my health was more important. I was able to bark orders, however, although the men in my house often turned a deaf ear. So I decided not to stress myself. You need to take care of Joyce and nobody else right now. Grumble all you want, it's good therapy!

shais_mom
12-09-2007, 09:38 PM
time for a bit of whining/snivling/grumpiness. i'm tired of standing up in stages, i'm tired of sleeping in the recliner, under 2 pillows cause one of the cats is sleeping on top of me when i only am under one(>>>and i think i know who it is). i'm tired of not feeling like myself, drugs make me fuzzy and the wooziness is now annoying, but it is making the pm news more interesting. i wanna walk my dogs, i wanna go past the end of the side porch, i wanna do my own laundry and how in the heck did the kitchen walls get so many little speckles of food on them, and (voice going up here) why can i smell the trash? shuffle grump shuffle grump, mumble........
aawww
but if you take the time now you'll heal much better later!!
I understand the walking the dog thing, fall is my favorite time of the year and I missed walking around looking at it!

anna_66
12-09-2007, 09:58 PM
I just got done pming you and I see you've been here too.

Like I said, whine all you want...we'll listen:)

And keep remembering how good your gonna look when you get all healed up!!!!

joycenalex
12-10-2007, 08:45 AM
Now, now, dear, patience!... I was completely incapable of turning myself over onto my side. I'd think ... "Hmm, I'd like to roll over .." and my body would respond "What is roll over?"
karen, you made me laugh there. thanks i needed that. my babysitter, darling shawn is taking peanut and alex for a walk right now. i was able to cuddle alex some this am, whilst peanut was sleeping on the neatly made up bed, i got a dogcookie and bribed alex onto the couch. he knows he's not to be on the couch, but i and he needed to have a snuggle, and the cookie enticed him. i feel much happier now. hope everyone and every critter has a happy day too.

Ginger's Mom
12-10-2007, 12:57 PM
I am glad to hear that you are feeling better today. Hopefully by the end of this week you will be feeling better than ever.

anna_66
12-11-2007, 09:29 AM
It's nice to hear your feeling better Joyce:)

joycenalex
12-11-2007, 10:45 AM
babysitter came, we went to target, with the dogs riding backup in the car for the christmas shopping. i'm whipped now, off to bed for a nap now.

pitc9
12-11-2007, 01:32 PM
Woo Hoo!! Road Trip!
:D

Hope you had a good nap too!!

joycenalex
12-13-2007, 11:09 AM
last night eileen took me to the library for fresh books and air, then to a neighborhood restaurant for mexican style tacos. this am shawn took me to work (narcotics and driving are a real bad mix so i'm not driving) so i could pick up some papers and i showed off a little bit. :cool: the dogs couldn't believe that they had to go into the crates, they've adjusted to 24/7 human time. i'm feeling much less grumpy and more energetic every day. still i won't lift anything heavier then a jug of milk, and i feel better in the abdominal binders or ace wrap as that part heals. thanks for listening, now for a nap

joycenalex
12-20-2007, 12:51 PM
thanks to all who've been PM-ing and keeping me in prayers, i'm grateful for your kindness and good wishes. today i had my first check up with my primary doctor, she measured, the open areas are less then 6 inches, i'm healing very very well. the closed suture lines are pink, lumpy and look pretty good. she said i'm doing good. however, today, shawn, driver and babysitter, ...insert angelic smirk here....who knows me too well, took me to lunch. like an idiot, i had sushi. i love sushi and wasabi. too much of a good thing and i got very head over the porcelin bowl sick. the skin layers look good, but the muscle layers got a work out. time for weak tea and time for a nap. see you later

Logan
12-20-2007, 01:20 PM
Joyce, I'm so glad your checkup went well. Healing takes time and I hope you are being careful. Merry Christmas to you and I hope 2008 will bring only good things to you.

Logan

shais_mom
12-20-2007, 01:52 PM
glad to hear the update Joyce altho I'm sad you got sick on Sushi!:(
*gentle hugs to you*
FEEL BETTER!

pitc9
12-20-2007, 02:05 PM
Hum... guess that's what you get for eating raw fish!! :p J/K!!!
I'm so sorry you got sick and sounds like you were lucky for not ripping anything open while heeving!! :)

Sounds like your getting around great now! I'm so happy for you!

I hope you're napping now and I hope you feel TONS better when you wake up!

joycenalex
12-21-2007, 06:15 AM
i think i've got a minor bug (amazing considering the amount of antibiotics i'm on). cough, sniffle....i did walk to the end of the block this am with eileen and the dogs. peanut objects to the high school kids walking to their busstop, so she let a group of 4 boys (? hard to tell in hooded parkas since it's so cold) that her eye was on them. they crossed to the other side of the street. not so bad having the neighbors think cujo lives here. really, alex would frisk them for cookies and peanut....welll, i'm not so sure she wouldn't either. back to bed, see you all later. love joyce

Medusa
12-21-2007, 06:23 AM
Well, take good care of yourself. A little pampering never hurt anyone. Healing can take a while.

joycenalex
12-28-2007, 08:53 AM
yesterday, the drains from the surgery got yanked out...truly a case of go to my happy place...and yes a quick removal is better in my case cause i'm a chicken. as prescribed by the doctors' staff i took one hour pre-removal, on an empty stomach 2 vicodans, and yet it still hurt alot. i felt loopy all day, and took a long nap, today i'm slowly moving about, however, no more drains and the wounds are healing very nicely. after today, no more surgery updates, cause i'm back to normal, well as normal as i'll ever be. ;)

Daisy and Delilah
12-28-2007, 07:23 PM
{{{{{HUGS}}}}} What a brave woman you are!! I just can't get over it. It's got to be one difficult recovery.

anna_66
12-28-2007, 10:25 PM
I was just thinking about you today Joyce.

I'm glad to hear the drains are out, but OUCH! I can't even imagine the hurt...gives me the willies!

Lots of (((HUGS)))
Anna