PDA

View Full Version : Investigation Finds Vets Harming Pets, Still Practicing (OH)

crow_noir
11-27-2007, 05:17 AM
http://www.newsnet5.com/news/14674565/detail.html?rss=nn5&psp=news

POSTED: 10:12 am EST November 23, 2007
UPDATED: 7:49 am EST November 26, 2007

CLEVELAND -- Pets are a part of many families and dog owners trust that their pets are getting the best of care when they go to the veterinarian.

Most veterinarians are caring and compassionate, but a 5 On Your Side investigation found how Ohio veterinarians can continue to practice even with a history of harming pets.

The undercover investigation found what happens inside some vet clinics may make you think twice about your pet's safety.

Investigator Ron Regan reported that Chad and Trudi Thompson's dog was burned by a heating pad while being treated at a local vet clinic.

"At its worst point -- almost skinned alive -- is what it looked like," Trudi said.

What happened to the Thompson's dog was so painful, she suffered for weeks with third-degree burns. The Thompsons blame a local veterinarian they trusted.

"She was in horrific pain for a good six or seven months," Chad said.

Regan reported the injuries the Thompson's dog sustained happened at Dr. Hart's Emergency Pet Clinic. Regan's investigation found Dr. Lisa Hart had a history of humane, sanitary and hygienic violations including expired drugs, failure to turn over lab results and hiring an unregistered vet technician.

Some of the violations were so serious, the State Veterinary Board has threatened to revoke or suspend Dr. Hart's license four times since 2003. The fines for the violations totaled $14,388.

NewsChannel5 tried repeatedly to talk with Dr. Hart on the phone and outside her clinic.

"Dr. Hart told you she doesn't want to talk with me?" asked Regan.

"Yes, she told me that," responded a veterinary employee at the clinic.

NewsChannel5 wondered how many other veterinarians in Ohio are accused of poor care. The On Your Side investigation reviewed State Veterinary records, court documents and complaints from pet owners. Regan found that the State Veterinary Board that's supposed to oversee Ohio's 3,700 veterinarians could be putting your pet at risk.

"They're basically saying that this woman can have umpteen million complaints against her and all they kept doing is fining her and making money for themselves but not doing anything to protect the consumer or their pets," said Trudi.

The owner of another dog complained that it was viciously attacked by a pit bull in a back room of the very same clinic. Chareen Fountain heard her dog crying for help.

"Blood and feces were everywhere, all over the floor, all over my dog. It was horrific and traumatizing for me as well as my dog," said Fountain.

Regan reported Julie Barracato's cat was bleeding from a serious wound and was told to come right over to Dr. Hart's clinic. Barracato rushed her cat to the clinic but when she arrived, no one was there. Another clinic saved her cat.

"The cat was in major pain and I didn't think he was going to make it till the next day," said Barracato.

During the investigation, all three pet owners questioned why Dr. Hart is still practicing. In fact, Regan reported that records show Dr. Hart was on probation when the Thompson's dog was seriously burned. Dr. Hart only received a reprimand and a $1,000 fine for that serious injury.

The investigation found that the Veterinary Board is supposed to discipline veterinarians, but they are never told of past violations.

Theresa Stir is the newly appointed Executive Director and promises the board will change that.

Regan asked, "Why in the world would someone with her track record still have a license?"

"(The board) determines, in executive session, settlement agreements before they even know who this individual was. I, as the new sheriff in town, would like to change that," answered Stir.

Dr. Hart is not alone. The investigation found 494 complaints across Ohio in the last three years, including incorrect anesthesia that killed a cat, surgery on the wrong side of an injured dog and a dog that bled to death after a vet "refused to return" to work.

The investigation also found only eight suspensions and one revoked license in the entire state in the last three years ... all because the past track of bad veterinarians who harm your pets is kept secret from board members who hand out discipline.

"What is going to change at this Board to safeguard pets?" Regan asked.

"My goodness, in the court system, they would never allow something like that. So I think we hold a responsibility to the public to do that as well," Stir answered.

And as a result of the On Your Side investigation, the State Veterinary Board will begin looking into "progressive discipline."

Under that system, veterinarians would be judged on their entire past record, prior offenses would be considered and sanctions would increase with each offense.

For more information, click on the list of veterinarians (http://www.newsnet5.com/download/2007/1121/14659450.pdf).

Copyright 2007 by NewsNet5. All rights reserved.

chocolatepuppy
11-27-2007, 06:25 AM
OMG!!! Marcia Hall/Garrettsville used to treat my pets at our clinic here until she moved to the other clinic they started! Of course one offense, who knows how serious, but still. :(

Laura's Babies
11-27-2007, 07:54 AM
Those people who's pets were harmed should have sued her without hisitation.. If the people in place that are suppose to handle vets like that didn't do their job, they need to be replaced!! To people like us, this is a serious issue and I don't think any of us would rest until something was done to stop a vet like that!

loveallfurryfriends
11-27-2007, 08:28 AM
It is very disturbing that this woman is still practicing. These people brought their beloved family pets to her for help, and instead these animals were injured & traumatized. Fines do not cut it. This vet & her clinic need to be exposed & shut down.

kittycats_delight
11-27-2007, 08:30 AM
i think it is absolutely disgusting nothing was done to these vets. I mean come on I bring my dog in bleeding and you refuse to come back to the clinic and he dies because of it you better never leave the house again cause you are a dead man/woman walking. You are careless and burn my dog with a heating pad (3rd degree burns is more than neglectful) you better bet you are gonna wish you never became a vet. My cats dies from the wrong or too much anesthesia you better leave the country cause I will hunt you down. It makes me so angry ( I mean I am shaking still from reading about it alone). I can't imagine what I would do. I do know for a fact I would go after the entire system not just the vet and her staff. I can't say I think the staff is blameless. I mean when a dog is on a heating pad and is being burned to the degree of 3rd degree burns you hear it. That dog is obviously in pain and letting you know it. So yes the staff is negligent too. I would take them down if it killed me.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

This is another reason why I have no faith in mankind for the most part. I know there are good people out. This community is a great example of that but some many more are rotten to the core and some of them are in the profession which leads you to believe they can be trusted which makes it even worse.

Catty1
11-27-2007, 09:37 AM
Theresa Stir is the newly appointed Executive Director [of the Veterinary Board] and promises the board will change that.

Regan asked, "Why in the world would someone with her track record still have a license?"

"(The board) determines, in executive session, settlement agreements before they even know who this individual was. I, as the new sheriff in town, would like to change that," answered Stir.

Let's hope she does!

Freedom
11-27-2007, 12:26 PM
How horrible! Just one more thing to make us nervous when we have to leave our pet in someone's care.

Catlady711
11-27-2007, 12:53 PM
Yikes!!

3rd degree burns from a heating pad? Don't these people know about hot water bottles, thermal blankets or those disks you nuke? Not that you can't get a burn from some of those but my gosh heating pads are a big no no, let alone that if the animal pees, vomits, or chews the cord it could cause an electrical short and injure the animal even worse than the burns! Total negligence. I also agree that the staff should have been monitoring the animals as well.

I still think this all goes back to the same reason our courts are backlogged and make dumb decisions. Frivilous complaints/suits should be thrown out immediately making room for actual cases, and judges/vet board staff should have a brain that would actually allow them to make proper judgements and penalties!

kt_luvs_kitties
11-28-2007, 11:37 PM
I just wonder how long the poor dog had to lay there and burn before they turned him/checked him over??? Could you not smell the burning of flesh?

Unforgivable... Makes me want to vomit....

RIP poor pets :( I pray she and all the others responsible lose thier license to treat pets.

IRescue452
12-02-2007, 03:10 PM
Only once have I ever left an animal alone at the vet. I hope to never have to again. And we just plain don't go to groomers because they are the worst. I can give the dog a haircut myself. I hope this lady loses her license for good.

wolf_Q
12-02-2007, 03:40 PM
And we just plain don't go to groomers because they are the worst.

I am a groomer, and there's several others on this board that are groomers as well. Thanks for your nice blanket statement about all of us.

There are good people and bad people in every profession. You can't lump all vets and all groomers into one catagory because of a few bad examples.

As for the original post, that is very, very sad. :( Vets with a history like that should definitely not be allowed to practice.

Cinder & Smoke
12-02-2007, 05:23 PM
:eek:
:mad:

... there's several others on this board that are groomers as well.
Thanks for your nice blanket statement about all of us.

There are good people and bad people in every profession.
You can't lump all vets and all groomers into one catagory
because of a few bad examples.

Not "everyone" lumps the Good in with the bad, Amy.

I've NEVER seen photos of YOUR Kids having a "Bad Hair Day" ... (you can't count
the PRE-Bath shots after they've had a good Mud Run! :p )

Keep right on *doing your thing* - your Customers must think you're doing Just *PHINE*!

/s/ Phred

wolf_Q
12-02-2007, 05:34 PM
Thanks Phred, my post wasn't referring to everyone else, just IRescue's post. I know not everyone makes generalizations like that. :)

IRescue452
12-02-2007, 06:13 PM
I know they aren't all bad. I used to work for a place that did grooming. I mean that the profession is the worst in numbers of complaints of abuse agaist animals. I'd never leave my animals alone with any of them. Not even the ones I trust not to abuse an animal, because accidents happen as well and an animal or person could get hurt intentionally or not.