PDA

View Full Version : How much do you spend on Christmas?

Pembroke_Corgi
11-26-2007, 01:07 PM
I thought it would be interesting to see how much the "average" family/person spends on Christmas on gifts, decorations, food, etc.

I'd say on average my husband and I spend about $350-$400 on gifts, but we don't buy for tons of people, and we don't exchange gifts with each other.

We probably spend about $30 per year just on decorations (We really got into it this year, though and spent too much. We couldn't resist with my 6-year old nephew coming to stay with us for 10 days!) and maybe an extra $50 on food.

Altogether that's about $500, and we don't have any children (no human children anyway ;) )!

How much do you spend?

Freedom
11-26-2007, 02:25 PM
I never really keep tracked of it.

I buy a present for Dad. My brother and I do not exchange gifts. I get a few odd things here and there for 3 or 4 friends and mail those out; and they mail me presents. Dad isn't able to go out and buy gifts. And I plan a nice dinner for the 3 of us. Maybe $200 total? Not typical, I am sure of that.
I really don't need to buy decorations at this point. Once I bought my house, Dad let me bring all the things form his house; all the things we grew up with. Plus I have what I acquired in 15 years of apartment living. So maybe a little bit for the extra lights that's it.

cassiesmom
11-26-2007, 03:52 PM
Every year I spend more than I'd planned to! But I'm with pembroke_corgi, a few hundred dollars sounds about right.

Argranade
11-26-2007, 04:19 PM
For my family there's me, my 2 brothers plus mom dad,

Then there's the rest of the family which is 13 people.

All together we spend from $1,500 to $2000 plus,

Probably more this year since my dad is planning to save more for us.

I'll be buying myself a laptop so my dad can save some more money lol.

carole
11-26-2007, 05:00 PM
I have bought into the commercial side of xmas for way too long i think, however this year we are going easy as we are saving for a trip to the gold coast australia for my two children.

We are not buying for each other this year, and we buy for our two children, my sisters two children and my great nephew and that is it.

It is always an expensive time all the same as we have seven birthdays from october right through to december.,three of which are in december and very two close to xmas.

We are spending around 350 dollars, nothing much on food as we are being taken out to a buffet restaurant by my parents as my late 50th birthday celebration ,xmas dinner combined, and decorations, i only buy a few if i see something i really like, i am giving my xmas tree and decorations to my son and his girlfriend as i never use it because the cats would tear it to bits, well at least two of them would, i usually put up a wreath, and a few bits of sparkle, a few ornaments ,and we have a set of xmas lights outside and that is it really.

I always purchase really neat xmas cards on sale the year before,so that i can give expensive quality cards , and that is about it really.

BitsyNaceyDog
11-26-2007, 05:39 PM
We spent about $200 on Nathan and about $600 on other family members and friends. I've bought a few new decorations, maybe $50 worth? Justin bought me a new camera and some accessories, may $1000? I got Justin an ATV for a birthday/Christmas gift, it was $3500.

catnapper
11-26-2007, 08:12 PM
Gosh you guys all get away cheap! I'm used to around $1,000 including gifts, wrapping, decorations, food, etc. Every year we swear we'll be cheap and not give gifts, but every year its the same. I order a $260 gift for mom and dad this afternoon :o

Catlady711
11-26-2007, 08:39 PM
I, my hubby, and my mom all do a Christmas Club account in the bank every year. We put in $5 or whatever each week and get a check around Halloween. Mom usually does about $500 per year, hubby and I do $750 a year each.

My $750 buys for hubby, mom, cats, coworkers, and a few other family & church members. We buy wrapping paper at the after Chrismas sales for 50% off or better and stockpile it along with tape, bows etc. So we spend very little anymore on those expenses. Buying a tree (haven't done that in 2 years) comes out of our 'household expense' fund which is for misc. items we want for around the house. We only do 1 small party between Christmas and New Years for immediate family only, just snacks no actual dinner, no gift exchanges.

Scooter's Mom
11-26-2007, 09:16 PM
I used to spend anywhere from $1500-$2500 - but that was with me shopping about 8-10 months for the perfect gifts for everyone. It was much easier to spread out that much money if I did it gradually. That was also when I was living in Houston... and Katjaye & her daughter were my top recipients. I loved buying for them. They had such sheer joy with whatever I got them.

This year, I really can't afford to get much for anyone. My in-laws are going to be upset this year... So this year we may end up spending $200 or so for immediate family members.

buttercup132
11-26-2007, 09:32 PM
I usually only spend 100 and something but this year I am spending more.

Bf I spent 100 and something on
Mom and dad 60
Sister was only 10 cause I found a great deal
Brother $20-30
Friend 30

This year I also have to buy for the people at work which is 5 people which will be like 5-10 each.

Still not much but I also left out my extended family this year.

binka_nugget
11-26-2007, 09:43 PM
This year I think I'm gonna be able to get away with $550-600 for gifts. $250 of that is for my boyfriend's snowboard. The rest is going towards my mom, sister, brother, and boyfriend's family. Last year I spent close to $1000.. I went way overboard with my first credit card.

Twisterdog
11-26-2007, 09:55 PM
I don't buy any decorations. I have enough already to decorate the White House Christmas tree, twice.

We usually get a turkey or ham from DH's boss, so Christmas dinner is really cheap.

Now, if it were left to me, I could do presents for the whole family for maybe $100. Seriously. I never go "Christmas shopping." I buy things to give for Christmas gifts all year long, when I find something on sale. I have bought the best presents I have ever given at yard sales or thrift stores. It seems like those are the ones people are still raving about years later.

Now, DH, however, is completely sold on the idea of taking $500 to the mall on Christmas Eve, blowing it all on expensive stuff at the last minute, and raising his blood pressure to the stroke inducing level. Ummmm ... no thanks. I don't go with him, I stay home and drink hot tea. :D

crow_noir
11-27-2007, 02:32 AM
Between $5 - $75 depending on how much we can afford.

This year it's going to be between $5 - $10 :-(

Crazy-Cat-Lover
11-27-2007, 04:44 AM
We are most likely going to be spending $1000+ on gifts alone. DH gets two turkeys from work as a gift. We always go out for Christmas dinner, I probably won't have time to cook anyway.

anna_66
11-27-2007, 08:04 AM
In the past it's always been around $1000+ because I always go overboard and buy tons of gifts for everyone.

But this year I really wanted to be thrifty (yes, that makes me feel better than saying cheap:p)
With the prices of gas, food, hospital bills, dentists bills and all the other necessities plus my work being extremely slow I don't want to dig myself into any deeper hole than I already am.

I bought gifts that I would like to receive, not just any ol' thing that's "cheap".

As for food I don't really spend any more on that than I do any other time.

Pawsitive Thinking
11-27-2007, 08:54 AM
As I will be paying it off until the summer I guess the answer is too much!! :rolleyes: :D

jackie
11-27-2007, 09:47 AM
I buy gifts all year, whenever I see something unique or for a good price i but it and stash it in the closet. Most of the time I don't have a clue who its going to be for! LOL

I suppose all in all I spent about 1000 on Christmas, that includes mom and step-dad, aunt, uncle, a few cousins, boyfriend, and 3 friends. Not too bad :) seeing as it is only once a year.

I LOVE CHRISTMAS!

Lori Jordan
11-27-2007, 10:27 AM
I always go overboard on christmas,This year we have already spent 600.00 so far on Rebecca,We got her a computer,she wanted the new nintendo wii,and a new jacket,and im not done.Terrace has moved out so this year we are just getting him what he needs,And as to my parents and everyone else i have not even started,I like going to the states shopping you find so many better deals there,But generally we spend around 2500.00

Felix
11-27-2007, 10:53 AM
We usually spend $1000+ on Christmas gifts,food & decorations.

pitc9
11-27-2007, 12:45 PM
Between my family and my in laws, my hubby and I spend around $1000 on gifts.
Decorations... yikes.. if I spend a DIME on anymore decorations I'll shoot myself!!

Food - I do a LOT of baking during the holidays... so I spend easily $250 at the grocery store.

Husky_mom
11-27-2007, 01:57 PM
it really is different each year..... one year I can get away with a low low budget and get everyone something for very less $$..... I usually buy for my mom,dad,bro, sis, hubby and kid......and theres also the pets but which i get pressies way before.....

this year I have not bought anything for anyone yet :eek: :eek: .... I have tried to buy things along the year so Iīm left with very little to buy at this time of year, but not this year....

I plan to buy myself a new digi ;).... so prob 200-300.... and thatīs it for me... oh wait and my pt dog calendar also ;)

for hubby I have already some shirts pre ordered....70( incl. shipping)
for the pets I already have very yummy treats.....15
for my kid I need to go to a few toy stores :P but prob 50

and the rest of my family I need to go shopping but around 15-20 depending on what i find.... maybe even less, maybe way more...

on decorations I have been using tha same for last 3 yrs so now i bought some extra tree ornaments for like 7.... and will get some more to fill in

I bought also some fabric to make bows for like 5.....

dogzr#1
11-27-2007, 04:44 PM
My parents give each of my brothers around $300, depending how many extra hours my step dad worked. We normally don't get actual gifts, just money.

My mom doesn't decorate but we may buy a small Christmas tree to put on a table or something.