PDA

View Full Version : The war is on!

caseysmom
11-25-2007, 03:50 PM
With the rat in my garage! I saw him last week and let it go, I have had pet rats before and figured whats the harm really. Well he made a nest in the engine of my new car thats the harm!

$200 bucks later I have bought traps, sticky tape and decon (not sure I can use that though will my critters)

He chewed through some important engine wire so the 4th cylinder was not firing so that car (2 months old) was running runny, the check engine light was on and the vsc (vehicle stability control) was disabled :mad:

I am parking out on the street for now.....

Lady's Human
11-25-2007, 03:57 PM
CEL-misfire warning, and when the OBD-II isn't working properly because of any warning, the VSC will be turned off.

The wire was probably the wire from the coil pack to the plug.

Laura's Babies
11-25-2007, 03:59 PM
They sure can do some damage.... You are lucky that is all it cost you!

caseysmom
11-25-2007, 04:03 PM
CEL-misfire warning, and when the OBD-II isn't working properly because of any warning, the VSC will be turned off.

The wire was probably the wire from the coil pack to the plug.

There is an official name for that wire on my paperwork but yes that summs it up....it all sounds like blah blah blah..

Freedom
11-25-2007, 05:07 PM
I have had pet rats before and figured whats the harm really.

The difference between relying on humans, and self sufficient.

Twisterdog
11-25-2007, 09:18 PM
Had a similar problem. CEL came on in my VW. Now, there is no VW dealer for 200 miles. (I know, I know, what kind of idiot buys a brand of car that can't be serviced ANYwhere in the state in which he/she lives? Answer: me, apparently.)

So, I take it down to AutoZone as the only resort. They tell me I need a new O2 sensor, $400 dollars. Yikes.

So, I start messing with it a bit first. I decide to change the air filter, reset the OBD, and cross my fingers. I open up the air filter cover, and literally 2 cups of sunflower seeds fall out. Ummmm ... that might be an issue.

Mice were collecting them out of the birdseed I spread for the birdies and storing them in my Beetle's air filter! Poor Ringo! So, even though I felt bad, I stopped feeding the birds, and the mice moved on.