PDA

View Full Version : Olympus anyone??.....

Husky_mom
11-23-2007, 04:07 PM
has anyone used a Olympus 720 or 700??...forget the number I forgot it, but itīs some waterproof/shockproof one...

just the other day I saw them and was wondering how good are they.....compared to the Canon SD1000......

there is not much difference in price and capability... but the olympus has the waterproof and shockproof thing....

what I wonder is would it be worth it??

Glacier
11-23-2007, 05:15 PM
I have no idea how it would compare to the Canon, but I have had several Olympus cameras, including two of the Stylus line. They are great little cameras. I carry a 750 in my purse and Stuart carries the 800 everywhere he goes. They take sharp, clear pics, have lots of options and are every bit as tough as Olympus claims. I've dropped them in the snow, frozen them, got them wet, banged them around, ect, ect. They still look fine and the picture quality hasn't changed a bit. All the dog sled pictures I've posted have been taken with the Stylus cameras as are many of the dog hike pictures.

The Olympus batteries are great too--lots of pics per charge and quick to recharge.

Catlady711
11-23-2007, 09:03 PM
If you tend to drop, bump or otherwise damage cameras then go with the Olympus if it indeed has a shockproof/waterproof exterior. I'm fairly sure none of the Canon's (short of the Mark III or buying armor covering) have that feature.

Husky_mom
11-24-2007, 02:46 PM
I have no idea how it would compare to the Canon

I meant as in price/quality relation..... the SD1000 is about 175-200 and the Olympus is 230-300.... so I wanted to know if the price difference was worth it by adding the waterproof/shockproof thing and if it will no matter on the quality of pics taken.... I really donīt know Olympus quality but seeing your pics Iīm sure itīs good....

If you tend to drop, bump or otherwise damage cameras then go with the Olympus if it indeed has a shockproof/waterproof exterior.

well itīs not that I tend to drop things........well maybe some times :rolleyes: .... but I would feel much safer using a carry along camera without worrying about anything that could happen to it in the process....
I really worry a LOT about my cameras but if need be I want to be safe *if* I did dropped it....

besides itīs not like I need the waterproof feature(donīt have pool, beach, lake or anything like it), but if given the opportunity I would love to be able to take some underwater shots.....

I saw also the 790 which costs a bit less than the 720 and itīs the same, not sure why...

I also need to consider getting a spare memory card as all I have are SD cards.... but those I can use when *if* I get a S5-S3-Rebel as a Christmas present ;)

Randi
11-24-2007, 03:19 PM
I don't think you can wrong with an Olympus, I have one which John bought, and he has had several in his time and been happy with them - he worked as professional photograhper. But check what you need and compare!

Good luck getting the right one! :)

Here's a good site with reviews: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Olympus/