PDA

View Full Version : Aggresive as they get older?

SaveThePoundDogs
11-23-2007, 03:52 PM
Has anyone had issues with their dogs getting more aggressive towards other dogs as they get older? Curly absolutely hates it when dogs jump on him now that he’s an old senior. On Thanksgiving my mom’s 12 year old golden and 16 year old Chihuahua would go berserk when another dog came NEAR them…anyone had any issues with this? The only dogs that haven't gotten aggresive when they get older are Danes for me...I think as they get older they just have a much less tolerance for those jumpy puppies..

Freedom
11-23-2007, 04:48 PM
I can share this: Lacey is currently in a Basic Manners class. (obedience) Lacey is a 5 year olod bichon. There is one 3 year old greyhound, one 2 year old, and the other 6 dogs are under a year. Those 6 include a 7 months old Malamute and a 7 mos old Westie.

The first class was owners only. The instructor asked aobut the dogs and learned the above.

Because of Lacey, the instructor said we will NOT have any loose play time in this class. (The other folks were a bit unhappy about this but accepted it.) The instructor said that the older dog can scare a puppy for life as she won't play with the puppy the way a pup needs play time.

At classes 2 and 3, if one of the other pups playfully approaches Lacey, she growls. I'd never heard her growl in the 4 months I've had her! The pups play with each other on leash.

I wouldn't say they get aggressive, but they get more grumpy, more parts hurt sooner, and they don't have the patience for the younsters.

Hope this helps. Maybe keep them in separate rooms at future family gatherings, so all of them enjoy the time.

Catlady711
11-23-2007, 08:53 PM
Unneutered males sometimes get more aggressive as they age. And any older dog may have pain issues from arthritis and not appreciate puppy playing.

If the dog is older you might want to just keep the younger dogs away and visit your vet for some arthritis meds for the old age joint pain. If the dog is older AND unneutered I'm not sure that neutering at this point would change any behavior.

critter crazy
11-23-2007, 09:21 PM
Personally I would keep young dogs away from seniors, they just dont tolerate the young ones very well. Also most times, senior dogs will get aggressive due to pain. I know every senoir dog i have ever owned, usually became aggressive due to pain. Most was caused by arthritis.

IRescue452
11-23-2007, 09:36 PM
Autumn certainly fits the bill. I wouldn't call it aggressive since she just growls or barksto tell them to go away. That's acceptable dog-talk to me. She's got arthritis. She doesn't like puppies jumping on her. She never liked puppy teeth though.