PDA

View Full Version : Stray cats

slleipnir
11-22-2007, 10:59 PM
This evening at work I saw a kitten outside our door. I thought I'd see if it was friendly and maybe take it inside so it didn't get hit by a car (I work on a very busy highway) I went up to the kitten and it didn't run away so I thought I'd pick it up (stupid me) anyway it's freaked out and bit/scratched my hand. Should I be concerned? It was only a tiny cut, but it broke the skin. I washed it out and put disinfectant on it. I just felt so bad for the poor thing. It was shaking. And later I saw it's mother come back and it ran over and started to rub against her like crazy. The mother left again after a few minutes and the poor kitten sat there a cried so loud for the longest time. I just felt sooooo sad for it! I gave it some water and a little food. I e-mailed the Humane Society so hopefully they will do something....

Should I be worried about my hand? Would I need a shot for that? The cats weren't skinny at all...would feral cats skinny??

Also, what would the Humane Society do with them? would they leave them, or take them and put them to sleep because they're not friendly??? The poor little things....I wanted SOO badly to pick the sweet kitten up and cuddle it so it wouldn't be cold or lonely...it's a cold rainy night too.. :(

Laura's Babies
11-23-2007, 03:05 AM
If the kitten bit you deep into the skin, YES! See a doctor asap!Run, don't walk!

I have been bitten twice and got a antibotic shot and round of them to take for by mouth 10 days. They are very dangerous and will be infected and hurting within 24 hours.

slleipnir
11-23-2007, 10:49 AM
It wasn't deep at all. It was a tiny bit to my finger, and a small scratch to my palm. It's not looking infected this morning, nor is it hurting. (But boy did it hurt when he bit me!)

I got an e-mail back from the shelter. She said I can try and catch them and bring them in to the shelter. If they're not suitable for adoption they will be PTS. She said I could also call the CAT Action Team and see about their trap/neuter thing or something like that. I think I will call them. I would rather them live somewhere wild then PTS I think.

catmandu
11-23-2007, 05:52 PM
If its only a scratch, I wouldnt be concerned. I would not try to pick a stray up though as a lot of strays are not used to being haeld, and get scared. I would let her come to you first when shes ready.
We hope atht you can get her to a better place, as outdoors is not the best place for a little One.
Bless You for caring,when so many dont.

Laura's Babies
11-23-2007, 06:23 PM
Glad to hear that bit wasn't a bad one and I too, would prefer seeing them fixed (S/N) and allowed to live somewhere than being taken to a shelter and PTS. It is not their fault they wre born without a home.

There are people that feed the colonies of feral cats so they may have a caretaker that feeds them on a regular basis or maybe other people around are putting out scraps for them to keep them fed.