PDA

View Full Version : Freegans?

RICHARD
11-22-2007, 08:37 PM
Did anyone see the news clip about the people in New York that call themselves 'FREEGANS'?

The pick up stuff that stores and markets put out to be picked up on trash day.
It was interesting.

Some people were interviewed and stated that they got most of their food from the PILES of food left on the sidewalks.

Freedom
11-23-2007, 09:55 AM
Makes you wonder why that food is not donated to a food bank.

moosmom
11-23-2007, 10:39 AM
Freedom,

It's a shame the food isn't donated. When BB&B takes back goods (alot of people return stuff cuz they just aren't satisfied with it). If it's used, we "damage it out" and bring it back to receiving where they'll mark it up with bright pink spray paint so no one pilfering through the trash will try to return it for a store credit (if they don't have the receipt they don't get cash back). You'd be surprized how often it happens. They do donate alot of comforters, gently used pillows, blankets to homeless shelters.

Freegans are here too. They also go around at trash night picking up furniture, stuff that people no longer want, but they still work.

It's just a shame about the food.

AmberLee
11-23-2007, 10:54 AM
I recently become aware of FreeCycling, where people post online of items they no longer wish to own, or request items they'd like to own ...

I wonder if any of the Freegans are also members of FreeCycle?

FreeCycle.com is run through Yahoo groups here in northern Calif, although it may have a stand-alone site in other places...

Pam
11-23-2007, 10:58 AM
I have put things out via Craigslist for a "curb alert." If there is anything I hate it is throwing something out that might get crunched in the trash truck that might be useful to someone. A couple of months ago I dug up a bunch of hostas and day lily and iris bulbs in order to thin out my flowerbeds. I did a Craigslist "curb alert" and they were gone within the hour. It is truly a shame about the food we waste each and every day while many go hungry. I am glad some people are able to make use of it.

cassiesmom
11-23-2007, 07:08 PM
My sister and her family live in a town with lots of very wealthy families. Trash day is Monday, so the buckets go out to the curbs on Sunday night. In the summer, you'll see vehicles cruising the neighborhood looking for good "finds" put out on the curb by these wealthy families. It's sad.

Catlady711
11-23-2007, 08:49 PM
Two comments here...

1) The Freecycle does have local chapters all over the US, someone would have to do a search for the towns nearby them to see if there's a local chapter for that area.

2) I'm not poor (not rich either) but I am a scavenger by nature, I could just be a pack rat though. I'm always checking out between the washers/dryers at the laundromat for dropped quarters also under monkey bars at the playground, and will stop to pry a single penny loose from the pavement during an ice storm.

I can't ever imagine myself scavenging food but I have been known to pick up items occassionally from the curbs. I once needed one of those old fashioned metal tubs for my firepit ashes but boy those things are hard to find and expensive. One day while riding my bike around town I found a HUGE pile of junk at the curb, sorta looked like someone was moving out. In that pile was a perfectly good tub just like I was looking for! No holes, no rust, handles still in great shape, clean even, the only flaw was that it had one small dent on it. I snapped that puppy up and rode it home on my bike. I sure musta been a sight riding with that big thing. LOL Hubby once found a slighly stained but perfectly useable small coleman cooler just the perfect size for our fishing worms.

sirrahved
11-23-2007, 09:32 PM
Freegans and freecyclers are completely different. Freecyclers offer things to other people that they no longer need, and look to see if things they need are offered on the list before they buy.

Freegans (spoof on the word vegans) are people who try to eat everything, or almost everything, for free. They scour dumpsters of restaurants, grocery stores, etc, for thrown out food. There is a REASON this food is thrown out. The FDA has rules on how long produce and leftovers can be kept. This is to prevent people from getting sick! This idea completely icks me out. I'm not just talking about homeless people who have no other option. It's a "green" movement.

moosmom
11-23-2007, 10:24 PM
Bev,

The thing about dumpster diving for food totally icks me out too. I can't even imagine not being able to find or afford food.

But the other finds, such as stuff people no longer want is a cool thing. I found lots of stuff I was able to use before I was able to buy some better stuff.

columbine
11-23-2007, 10:42 PM
America's Second Harvest (http://www.secondharvest.org/how_to_help/) is an organization dedicated to minimizing food waste through "food rescue" - picking up food that stores won't sell because it's perfectly fine to eat but isn't A1 quality (bruised apples, day-old bread, wilted cabbage, cans with the labels stuck on upside down) and bringing it to food pantries and shelters where what needs to be cooked will be cooked immediately and the rest given to people whose appetites are guided more by need than by appearances.

A certain... oh, what the heck, Bread and Circus near where I used to live used to have plenty of scavengers nightly, picking up hotdog rolls, bok choy, broccoli starting to flower yellow - until they installed an enclosed dumpster with a CONVEYOR BELT into it (anybody ever read The Grapes of Wrath?) to make sure that the food would be wasted rather than attract Those People. I was walking past it one day with my friend Susan, who remarked on the graffiti someone had painted on the dumpster, yellow with purple dots: WASTE NOT, WANT NOT. "Do you like that graffiti?" asked Susan. "Yeah," I said. "I painted it," she said. I bought her a beer.

Hunger isn't far away. It's not just the homeless. It's largely kids from working families who look pretty much like your kids, except maybe they're having trouble keeping their eyes open in class. Someone in the family needed medicine, got hurt & lost their job, couldn't get to work without repairing the car. I bet there are folks here who've been hungry.

Love, Columbine

Lizzie
11-23-2007, 11:00 PM
You are right, Columbine, you eat what you can when you are starving. I found myself totally penniless while living in Greece in my early twenties. Slowly, the pasta was used up and I didn't eat for three days. Starving is painful, especially when you are 22 and your metabolism is high. I couldn't dumpster dive in a country where food safety laws were non-existent (it was 1970) and it was hot. I asked for old bread at a bakery but they said they always threw it to the birds. I survived on the crusts of bread and honey left over by the child I had just started giving English lessons to. Boy, they tasted good and they prevented me passing out completely on the street. At night, I drank lots of water to fill my stomach briefly so that I might sleep. Fortunately, Pia told her parents what I was doing and they simply started inviting me to have lunch with them. I still remember that first lunch, okra stewed with tomatoes and olives - divine!

I believe stores throw out food that is past it's sell-by date. That means it's good to eat for a week or more after that. I often eat cheese that is weeks past its sell-by date. I would have a problem using vegetables that had been thrown in the trash, but I shouldn't since those same vegetables could have been mis-handled on their way to the store in the first place.

jackie
11-24-2007, 04:36 AM
I read the Freegans site (http://www.freegan.info/) and while they have some good ideas, they also advocate squatting (housing is a RIGHT, not a privilege)and unemployment(For most of us, work means sacrificing our freedom to take orders from someone else).

Sorry, I am pretty green and love people who care about the environment, this group reminds me of PETA, just a bit too far out there for me.

columbine
11-24-2007, 05:55 AM
Yeah, it's awkward when people who are mostly looking for attention co-opt an idea that's at its core quite sensible and twist it into a sideshow - because then that's ALL people see of the idea in the media (because spectacle buys "eyeballs" and sells ads).

Love, Columbine

RICHARD
11-24-2007, 02:44 PM
I heard about the craiglist thing but had no idea as to the Freegan movement.

My brother discovered that a 'higher class" supermarket would put out day old bread into baskets at the rear of the store.

Some of the stuff that was thrown out was dated for that day.

LOL, a few honey buns into th mircowave? Good as new! ;)

lizbud
11-24-2007, 04:54 PM
I remember reading an article about Freegans once. I thought they
seemed like educated hobos. :) They don't want to contiibute to society
by working for food or housing.

Catlady711
11-24-2007, 07:07 PM
I just skimmed through that Freegan website. Basically they are advocating illegal practices.

Squatting is illegal - if you don't own the land or have a right to be on the land (including being unsafe in vacant buildings) then you shouldn't be there. I think probably a public area would be probably ok but not private property.

Dumpster diving - is also illegal. In a day and age of identity theft in most places it's illegal to go through someone's trash, expecially that of a business. In all actuallity picking up broken laundry baskets out to the curb on trash day is also illegal but not nearly the same as if somone ripped open the bags and started sifting through it, same with dumpster diving.

Unemployment - they think they have a right to housing and food but do nothing to contribute for it. Even back in the very old days of little house on the prarie type living, work is how you made your living whether it was paid directly in food from your field, or logs for your home or working in a blacksmith shop for money that would buy your necessities. If they are so concerned about their freedom why are they whining because they don't have food or housing, they made their choice vouluntarily. They could always do a barter system where they do gardening or whatnot in exchange for food or housing.

Hitchhiking - if they are so concerned with polution and fossil fuels why not just find some old bike on the curb, fix it up and peddle with your own two legs? Why rely on someone else using fossil fuels by hitchhiking when it still causes pollution? Besides in this day and age it's not safe for either the hitchhikers or the person who picks them up.

Besides they not only have a website and internet access, but because there's pix they must have a digital camera too. Doesn't sound like they are shunning society to me. I can't imagine having to dive in a dumpster for food but having a digital camera. Kinda reminds me of those that whine they are poor, no food, can't pay bills, want everything for nothing, but still have their cable, internet and cell phones. Uh excuse me? Anyone think maybe messed up priorities?

Sorry if my attitude offends anyone but I won't appologize for my viewpoint. If a person has something bad happen to them that forces them into a situation where they have to live like that, or a child is born into a situation like that it's different, they did not make a concious choice to live that way and most would gladly trade that lifestyle to have a job and pay for a home and food. I don't mind helping out people like that. If they make a choice to live like that on purpose don't expect me to feel sorry for them when they whine.

sirrahved
11-24-2007, 10:00 PM
I just skimmed through that Freegan website. Basically they are advocating illegal practices.

Squatting is illegal - if you don't own the land or have a right to be on the land (including being unsafe in vacant buildings) then you shouldn't be there. I think probably a public area would be probably ok but not private property.

Dumpster diving - is also illegal. In a day and age of identity theft in most places it's illegal to go through someone's trash, expecially that of a business. In all actuallity picking up broken laundry baskets out to the curb on trash day is also illegal but not nearly the same as if somone ripped open the bags and started sifting through it, same with dumpster diving.

Unemployment - they think they have a right to housing and food but do nothing to contribute for it. Even back in the very old days of little house on the prarie type living, work is how you made your living whether it was paid directly in food from your field, or logs for your home or working in a blacksmith shop for money that would buy your necessities. If they are so concerned about their freedom why are they whining because they don't have food or housing, they made their choice vouluntarily. They could always do a barter system where they do gardening or whatnot in exchange for food or housing.

Hitchhiking - if they are so concerned with polution and fossil fuels why not just find some old bike on the curb, fix it up and peddle with your own two legs? Why rely on someone else using fossil fuels by hitchhiking when it still causes pollution? Besides in this day and age it's not safe for either the hitchhikers or the person who picks them up.

Besides they not only have a website and internet access, but because there's pix they must have a digital camera too. Doesn't sound like they are shunning society to me. I can't imagine having to dive in a dumpster for food but having a digital camera. Kinda reminds me of those that whine they are poor, no food, can't pay bills, want everything for nothing, but still have their cable, internet and cell phones. Uh excuse me? Anyone think maybe messed up priorities?

Sorry if my attitude offends anyone but I won't appologize for my viewpoint. If a person has something bad happen to them that forces them into a situation where they have to live like that, or a child is born into a situation like that it's different, they did not make a concious choice to live that way and most would gladly trade that lifestyle to have a job and pay for a home and food. I don't mind helping out people like that. If they make a choice to live like that on purpose don't expect me to feel sorry for them when they whine.

Amen! Preach it sister! I'm with you 100%!

crow_noir
11-27-2007, 03:46 AM
I seen something about that aprox. two years ago.

Who had it this time?

Did anyone see the news clip about the people in New York that call themselves 'FREEGANS'?

The pick up stuff that stores and markets put out to be picked up on trash day.
It was interesting.

Some people were interviewed and stated that they got most of their food from the PILES of food left on the sidewalks.

crow_noir
11-27-2007, 03:47 AM
Sad thing is that in a lot of places it is completely illegal to do any form of dumpster diving or curb surfing.

Freedom,

It's a shame the food isn't donated. When BB&B takes back goods (alot of people return stuff cuz they just aren't satisfied with it). If it's used, we "damage it out" and bring it back to receiving where they'll mark it up with bright pink spray paint so no one pilfering through the trash will try to return it for a store credit (if they don't have the receipt they don't get cash back). You'd be surprized how often it happens. They do donate alot of comforters, gently used pillows, blankets to homeless shelters.

Freegans are here too. They also go around at trash night picking up furniture, stuff that people no longer want, but they still work.

It's just a shame about the food.

crow_noir
11-27-2007, 03:49 AM
Last time i knew, all FreeCycle Groups have to be hosted on Yahoo Groups.

Due to a lot of disagreements between the main site and some of the groups, some have broke off and become "Recycle" or "Freestuff" groups.

I recently become aware of FreeCycling, where people post online of items they no longer wish to own, or request items they'd like to own ...

I wonder if any of the Freegans are also members of FreeCycle?

FreeCycle.com is run through Yahoo groups here in northern Calif, although it may have a stand-alone site in other places...

Twisterdog
11-27-2007, 10:28 PM
I agree with the majority of what CatLady711 said.

Maybe it comes from working hard all my life, but my basic philosophy is, if you are capable of working you'd better be doing so. And if you choose not to, then starve of your own freewill, but do so quietly, please. And don't expect someone to coddle you.

I do, however, think the amount of waste in this country is a terrible, crying shame. I NEVER throw anything away that is not hopelessly ruined. I donate everything that is possibly useful to a charity. There is always someone, somewhere that wants it.

Our local Humane Socity does a city clean up day once a year, where we basically go pick up stuff for people and haul it away. They donate to the Humane Society for payment. And you would not BELIEVE what people throw away. I would say we actually end up keeping about 75% of the stuff people tell us is garbage, and needs to go to the landfill. We sell it for another fundraiser, our annual yard sale. People throw away brand new clothes, perfectly good furniture and household goods, and the thing that makes me very sad, soooo many books. :(

I think the materialistic, throw-away society we live in is pathetic. We are filling our landfills with perfectly good items, and polluting and destroying natural resources to make more of pretty much the same items. Sad.

Donnaj4962
11-28-2007, 12:06 PM
I have never heard of these folks before. I am going to do some more research on them (when I am not at work! :eek: ). Sounds like a strange lifestyle to me.

I have heard of a family in our area that, due to downsizing, both parents are out of work. Instead of going on food stamps, foreclosing on their house, etc., stated their own business. They "recycle" folks old appliances, computers, etc. They do everything environmentally safe with what they can and then sell what they can for scrap. Apparently, they are making quite a living by hauling away other folks "trash"!!! ;) I am impressed with their engenuity and desire to help the environment.