PDA

View Full Version : He had a accident: How do you know when it's time?

buttercup132
11-22-2007, 12:50 PM
Thunder isgetting really old now and it just seems like he is in pain. But he has your typical old dog things like artheritst,hip displaysia,thyroid, he has trouble getting up from laying down, the stairs are a problem and he is really skinny now (like Rocky the Rotty). He is also starting to loose his hearing.
How do you know when it's time to put them to sleep when they are so old?
I think he's 13 now.

UPDATE: He came in my room tonight and layed down and just started to pee. He didn't ask to be let out or cry or anything, and actually he pawed at my door so he could be let in.http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/frown.gif

luvofallhorses
11-22-2007, 01:04 PM
only you'll know when it's time. if his quality of life is gone and he is uncomfortable and not enjoying life like he used to then I would say it's time. but you know him best. (((hugs)))

Canis-Lupess
11-22-2007, 01:07 PM
When it seems they don't have any quality to their life anymore because of the pain and suffering of old age and the issues that come with it.

Whilst they are still able to enjoy aspects of their lives and show it, they deserve to stay alive to enjoy them. Painkillers and treatments can help where arthritis and such are concerned. Difficulty getting up is common and hearing loss also. Some dogs live perfectly happy lives never being able to hear so thats not a big problem where quality of life is concerned.

If the dog just looks depressed and doesn't enjoy anything anymore due to not being able to do it or feeling too ill to do it, then it is time to let them go with dignity.

Sometimes, it is harder to describe in words when you know. When the time comes, you tend to just know.

Alysser
11-22-2007, 01:41 PM
Alicia, I kind of know how you feel. For the last few months I've been contemplating this decision, but I realize now it's definitely not Sassy's time yet. We have here on some new medication that works great. She is a little stiff after she lays down for awhile but not limping/crying in pain anymore. It helps alot. Having to watch your dog age is not a fun experience. I believe that only you will know when it's time. When they don't get up to eat, enjoy things they once used to, cry in pain every time they walk, and are just plain sad, then you will know. I am sorry you are going through this with Thunder. I know it's hard, and whatever decision you will make I know it will be for his best interest.

Lori Jordan
11-22-2007, 03:31 PM
This is something we all do not want to deal with,Just loosing Anna only 2 weeks ago.
Thunder will let you know,It may not have to be a whimper,But just that look in his face.

That is how i new Anna was ready she gave me this look that i have never seen before.

Maybe a vet visit?Just to have the vet go over Thunder and see if everything is ok.

Like my mother said to me about Anna there is Quality and Quantity to life.If they have no Quality then it is time to make that unselfish decision.

I will say extra prayers for Thunder,IT may not be anything,You watch an older lady or man,They are not as quick as they once were,It could be he is just really feeling his age and will slow down on some things.

Hugs to you,I hope the best for you both.

buttercup132
11-22-2007, 08:42 PM
I'm just scared that I won't know. Me and my mom have been talking about it latley and we both think he's in pain but don't know when to say too much is too much. He's still hapy and wags his tail when he can see you so I don't think he is sad. I've never had to deal with anything like this so I just don't know.
We don't take him on walks anymore cause he's too old and his hips really hurt after walking. He's never been a dog to play and be hyper so I don't see any change really in that. I've also noticed his back legs tremble when he stands sometimes. Now that I think about it also he seems to stay in the basement alot more now. He used to sleep on the bathroom tiles to stay cool and he would sleep up stairs but now it seems everytime we call him (when he can hear it) that he comes from the basement. He sleeps in the laundry room where it's cold too but he is always there now.

Twisterdog
11-22-2007, 10:22 PM
I'm just scared that I won't know.

You will know.

I euthanized Lacie, my cocker, when she became senile, basically. She had the typical "old dog" symptoms you described - skinny, stiff, trembling, sleeping all the time, etc. She was also deaf and almost blind. But when she also became confused ... wandering around a room endlessly, standing in corners facing the walls until someone moved her, howling at nothing ... I knew it was time. I had been watching her and contemplating it for months, but I knew without a doubt when the time came. She was almost 15.

I euthanized Queenie, my ACD, when she went into kidney failure. There was nothing else to do. She was ok one day, and terrible the next. No choices involved, but boy, was that tough. She was completely lucid, the same old happy, sweet dog she had always been. She was between 16 and 18.

Catlady711
11-22-2007, 10:28 PM
Is he on any type of medication for the arthritis pain?

cyber-sibes
11-23-2007, 11:47 AM
You'll know when he's ready. He'll just have a distant look, you'll know.

K9karen
11-23-2007, 10:58 PM
When I asked my vet, he said "You'll know", and strangely, but thankfully I did, because Cody told me with his eyes. I'll never get over it, but it did make me know I did the right thing.

Taz_Zoee
11-23-2007, 11:32 PM
When Bruce had to make the difficult decision to put DJ to sleep, he wagged his tail (or nub) when Bruce came in the room to be with him for the injection.
But he could not breath on his own, so we knew it was time. :(
I'm sorry you are going through this.

nancyweNW
11-25-2007, 12:08 AM
I was at the vets for about the 5th time in a row that month and the vet said, "I wouldn't fight you if you said you wanted to put her down", meaning he felt her quality of life wasn't worth putting her through anything else. So very hard to do but the last gift of love.

Miss Z
11-25-2007, 09:34 AM
I'm sorry to hear about Thunder, Alicia. As others have said, you really will know when it's time. Something in the way he looks changes, it's very hard to define what exactly it is, but you will know when he's had enough. Just keep making his life as comfortable as possible. My thoughts are with you and Thunder.

buttercup132
11-25-2007, 09:51 AM
Thanks guys. I really hope he stays fine, but I kind of think that he won't be around next year. I hope so though.

loveallfurryfriends
11-25-2007, 11:09 AM
I will pray for you and Thunder. <<<<HUGS>>>>

buttercup132
12-04-2007, 07:47 AM
Bump

pitc9
12-04-2007, 08:03 AM
I put my parent's dog to sleep this past June, and I was afraid of not knowing "when."
But when I went to visit her when I knew the time was coming.
It was easy to make the decision.

She told me she was ready.

She wouldn't look me in the eye, she wouldn't come inside anymore.
She was ready for her trip.

I'm so sorry Thunder is aging and his time on this earth may be coming to an end. The best thing you can do for him is to listen to him, he'll tell you.

{{hugs}}