PDA

View Full Version : /!\ SafePet provides emergency homes to pets whose owners are fleeing abuse

crow_noir
11-22-2007, 02:02 AM
OK, this is so broad rage i didn't think it fit in any one section, and such a positive resource that i didn't see it going into the Doghouse (but will understand if that's where it ends up.)

-----

www.insidetoronto.ca/news/Villager/Column/article/33291 (http://www.insidetoronto.ca/news/Villager/Column/article/33291)

SafePet provides emergency homes for animals whose owners are fleeing abuse

November 19, 2007 04:11 PM

Dear UrbanAnimal,

I am currently fostering a pair of cats on behalf of SafePet, a program that provides temporary housing for pets belonging to abused women. It deserves more public attention. Can you inform your readers?

Patty D.

Dear Patty,

Absolutely! When I was publishing a Toronto-based newspaper for dog owners, I occasionally received phone calls from women who were seeking temporary refuge for their pets. These women were seeking to escape abusive partners but refused to leave their animals behind. They were able to find shelter for themselves and their children but animals weren't allowed. In many cases, they were rightfully concerned that their pets would be abused by the abusive partner if left in the home.

If they were unable to find a temporary solution for their pets among friends, family or neighbours, they were forced to pay for boarding or surrender them to an animal shelter.

I'm sure everyone involved in pets receives phone calls like this on a regular basis. The small number I received was just the tip of the iceberg.

SafePet, a program administered by Ontario Veterinary Medical Association, began offering its services in 2002 to women in need to provide a temporary safe haven for their pets. According to the association, "48 per cent of surveyed Ontario women who had left their abusive partner said that their pets delayed their decision to leave."

SafePet works through Ontario veterinary clinics that would like to be able to board these animals but simply don't have the room. Volunteer foster homes are made available to the veterinarians through SafePet, who are assigned animals according to the volunteer's abilities. Dogs, cats, horses, rabbits and other small animals (ferrets, mice, hamsters) are entrusted to these homes on a temporary basis until the owner is able to take the pet back.

The volunteer provides food, shelter, exercise and other necessities but medication and veterinary needs are paid for by the owner. If the owner is unable to provide finances for special medical care, the veterinarian can apply for funding through another association initiative called the Farley Foundation.

Any type of pet can find refuge through SafePet including dogs, cats, horses, rabbits, snakes and small animals such as ferrets, mice and hamsters.

The identities of the volunteer and owner are known only to the veterinary clinic. If the owner wants to visit her pet, the clinic acts as a go-between. The owner arranges a time to visit and the volunteer drops off the pet at the clinic. If the volunteer cannot continue caring for the pet for any reason, another foster home will be found.

In the end, if the owner cannot take the animal back, the volunteer is given first opportunity to adopt.

There are many times when we may wonder why abused women and their children seem incapable of leaving that abusive environment. It could very well be that the family pet is holding them back. People who don't cherish a pet might think it's an irrational reason but to those of us who wouldn't dream of leaving a pet behind, it's a reality that pleads for a solution. PetSafe provides that solution.

SafePet is administered by the association and funded in part by the Ontario Women's Directorate, Government of Ontario. Volunteer foster homes are needed throughout the province. For details, contact your veterinary clinic or the association at safepet*AT*ovma*DOT*org or 1-800-670-1702.

E-mail jacque-newman*AT*rogers*DOT*com with a question, comment or suggestion.

Laura's Babies
11-22-2007, 08:26 AM
What a great program. Every place needs a SafePet program. The first thing some abusers do is kill the pet that is left behind or threaten to trying to get the spouse to come back.

jackie
11-24-2007, 04:38 AM
Amazing!

I wish more places would put this program into effect.

columbine
11-24-2007, 06:12 AM
Amazing!

I wish more places would put this program into effect.The Humane Society has a list of Safe Havens (http://www.hsus.org/hsus_field/first_strike_the_connection_between_animal_cruelty _and_human_violence/safe_havens_for_animals_/online_directory_of_safe_havens_for_animals_progra ms.html) in the USA.

Love, Columbine

crow_noir
11-27-2007, 12:04 AM
Thanks for that link Columbine!

The Humane Society has a list of Safe Havens (http://www.hsus.org/hsus_field/first_strike_the_connection_between_animal_cruelty _and_human_violence/safe_havens_for_animals_/online_directory_of_safe_havens_for_animals_progra ms.html) in the USA.

Love, Columbine