PDA

View Full Version : Gps?

Laura's Babies
11-21-2007, 01:51 PM
Anyone here have a GPS? I am thinking about getting one to help me when I have to make those long trips along for crew change but I am clueless about them... Anyone have one that they like and is easy to use?

Do they come already loaded with the maps or you have to get those seperate?

Karen
11-21-2007, 02:05 PM
We have a Garmin hand-held. It's GREAT. They tend to come with some maps, and you can buy more, it depends on the package. Paul could give you more details, as its usually in his posession.

caseysmom
11-21-2007, 02:16 PM
I have one built in to my new car, now I don't know how I lived with out. We had a detour 2 days ago and I was in hubbies car and I got into a total panic!

Freckles
11-21-2007, 03:07 PM
Here's (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=125003&highlight=GPS)
a previous thread that sold me. The Garmin GPS has proven invaluable.

Laura's Babies
11-21-2007, 09:36 PM
I have heard nothing but good things about the Garmin ones. But there are so many different models to pick from. I mainly want one with a map of the USA to get me where I need to go up and down the river.. If I EVER had to get off the boat in St. Louis alone.. I'd be totally hung... or have to find my way to the boat in St. Louis.

The engineer that is on the boat right now has a Garmin Nuvi that he can go to one of those hole in the wall places on the riverbank and press it to remember where that spot is, name that spot and it is set if he ever needs to find that spot again. THAT is what I want! I don't need all the bells and whistles some of them have but I would like it to be portable and to talk to me when I need to make a turn. Guess I need to email him and ask what model he has...

I read the other thread you brought back up and Phreds information was SO helpful and gave me a lot to think about.... it showed me I have a LOT to learn before I go buy one! :rolleyes:

Catlady711
11-21-2007, 09:53 PM
My hubby says Garmin's are the most user friendly of the GPS systems. I don't know which model he has but even I can use the main functions fairly easily. I'm sure his isn't made anymore because it's like 4 years old now.

Cinder & Smoke
11-21-2007, 10:16 PM
I have heard nothing but good things about the Garmin ones.
But there are so many different models to pick from.

I read the other thread you brought back up and Phreds information was SO helpful and gave me a lot to think about.... it showed me I have a LOT to learn before I go buy one! :rolleyes:

"Learning all about" a GPS by reading literature is now just about impossible ...
There are Sooooo Many brands & models ... the ink is still wet on the latest "review" when
the manufacturer discontinues what was last week's Top of the Line in favor or a newer doo-hickey.

Try to find a knowledgable clerk in places like:
* West Marine (or another chain store / marine dealer)
* BIG Sporting Goods outlets - "Cabel's" has some good sales folks
* Even Wally Mart "Sports" has some enlightened clerks.

And if you've got the TIME to *wait* forever ... call Mr. Garmin at
1-800-800-1020 ...
the GOOD Customer Service guys & gals will talk to you for an hour + about
features and which
unit might be best for you ... but pack a lunch unless you call EARLY!

Big differences between a Handheld and a portable "car model" is the size of the display;
the "car unit" almost always "talks" the directions; and the car unit relies on
touch-screen input and lots of "menues" ...
You need to "remember" more to operate the average HandHeld unit.

;)

Laura's Babies
11-22-2007, 08:20 AM
Well, thanks for the other information.... I do know I need someone to tell me which one would be the best one for me. I sure don't need the MP3 player one or the one that displays your pictures (I should be driving, not looking at pictures!) I would prefer one that could be updated but it is not a must have. (I-55 and most of the roads we travel stay the same) I don't want one that I would have to subscribe to anything with since I won't use it but once a month and some months, not at all. I also want one where I can tell it to remember a place in case I need to find it again.

I just have no sense of direction and the people on the boat always say "When you get to the main highway, you have to head west/east/north/south" Well, when you have NO idea where you even are, how do you even know which way that is? Sometimes we get off on the east side of the river, sometimes the west side of it. LIke the last time, one of the guys said, "we are going to get off on this side of the river and once to the main road, you go south!" OK... All the time I thought we were getting off on the east side so that would have me turning right... We were on the west side so we needed to turn left! When you already have a long trip ahead of you, you sure do not want to waste any time going in the wrong direction only to find out you are headed the wrong way and have to turn around. If I don't have a passenger to direct me, I need something to get me there without getting lost.