PDA

View Full Version : Wheaten Puppy needed

Jakesmom
11-20-2007, 10:10 AM
My parents had put down a deposit on a Soft Coated Wheaten puppy about 4 months ago. The puppies are now ready to go (8 weeks), and the breeder has not let them see the pups and has been very difficult, saying he's not sure he wants to sell them a puppy, they can't come see them, etc (after he had told them they could see them and pick their puppy at 5 weeks). They have decided that at this point, they do not want to deal with him any longer, as any trust they might have had has been broken.

They are devastated as they had been so looking forward and planning for this puppy. They have a female kerry now and have had several kerries, goldens, sheepdogs and a wheaten in the past. They would like a male wheaten puppy and want to avoid a puppy mill, but don't particularly care about show potential, just a healthy well tempered dog. If anyone knows of a wheaten litter that might have an available puppy, please let me know.

Thanks

Jakes mom

buttercup132
11-20-2007, 10:12 AM
www.petfinder.com (http://www.petfinder.com)

.sarah
11-20-2007, 10:39 AM
You will have more luck if you contact a local or national Wheaten breed club, especially since the breed is not very popular. Be sure the breeder is doing all necessary health clearances.

sasvermont
11-20-2007, 10:56 AM
I have been lurking at their rescue web site for years. :rolleyes:

Jakesmom
11-20-2007, 11:56 AM
I have searched multiple puppy/dog finding sites, the problem is the vast majority are likely puppy mills or are older dogs/mixes. For a variety of reasons, they want a full wheaten puppy. They're continuing to contact breeders identified as reputable, but as you say, they are not common dogs so it will take awhile to identify another puppy.

I thought that since this was such a widely read site, someone might know of a reputable Wheaten breeder who had an unclaimed puppy.

Jake's mom

Freedom
11-20-2007, 01:53 PM
Yes, I would say try Wheaten breed rescue as well. The dogs will be in foster homes, well cared for and you will get a bit of their history and info on the personality of the specific dog.

Good luck!

buttercup132
11-20-2007, 02:05 PM
http://www.netpets.com/dogs/dogresc/breeds/dogwheat_ter.html

There's a list of a bunch of rescues.
Maybe go to some shows and talk people there and see if they or they know anyone with puppies.

Giselle
11-20-2007, 08:21 PM
It's not often that reputable breeders, especially of uncommon breeds, have unclaimed puppies ready to leave for new homes. I'd suggest waiting just a bit more. A little wait now will prevent any heartache later on.

Wheatens aren't terribly unpopular, either. Since the recent surges of "Wheaten-Poos", Wheaten themselves have risen in popularity (especially since they are widely recommended for people with fur allergies).

ETA: I also agree with going to a local show. You'll find a myriad of Wheaten breeders there.

SaveThePoundDogs
11-20-2007, 08:47 PM
I found some on petfinder
http://search.petfinder.com/search/search.cgi?pet.Animal=&pet.Breed=wheaten+terrier&pet.Age=&pet.Size=&pet.Sex=&location=41449
try www.puppysites.com for breeders and rescues too