PDA

View Full Version : Boo-hoo. My camera broke! (you camera experts.. check this out)

CountryWolf07
11-19-2007, 07:31 PM
That's right, the recent camera I bought, a Casio Exilim 7.2MP , was accidentally stepped on by a random college student at the OSU/Michigan party.. and I wasn't there to see it happen or catch it before it did. So, my camera has a dent on the front, a big one, and I am not exactly sure what is wrong. It functions fine, turns on and off, the battery life is fine, my memory card (2GB) SURVIVED that too as well. Thank goodness, but the problem is, when I turn it on, I can't view anything. Nothing shows up. So I took a picture, blindly, and I was able to upload it on the computer; but it was BLACK. So, I tried a few more shots, black too as well. What do you think is wrong? Do you think it is impossible to get it fixed, because I paid $200 for this camera. I will have it checked out at Camera Cord tomorrow when I get home for Thanksgiving break.. What do you think??

Catlady711
11-19-2007, 07:47 PM
I'm certainly no camera repair expert but that kind of damage may well cost you more to repair than to just replace the camera.

I once had a film camera that got some mist on it from a photo shoot in heavy fog. Camera cost $400, repairs cost $190 and took 6 weeks to get it back again.

It's fortunate that you were able to salvage the memory card though.

Think of it this way, it might be a good excuse to go get a newer model. lol

Good luck.

critter crazy
11-19-2007, 07:50 PM
I had a problem with my camera like that once, It was my favorite camera too! My Minolta Dimage, and well after I took it to the repair place, the cost to repair, was over 2x what the camera cost! Needless to say, I just bought a new camera.:rolleyes:

Alysser
11-19-2007, 08:42 PM
I have to go in a minute..have to clean my fish tank but I was browsing and saw this. Trust me, you're not alone.

Where exactly did you get the camera? My parents bought a camera at Costco and it had a warranty on it for a year. My sister brought it to Spain, dropped it, and it broke. They took it back to Costco and they gave them a brand new one. You said you recently bought it, so there must be some type of warranty on it. Either with the store you bought it in, or the manufacturer. Do you still have the box, directions, and papers it came with? I would look at that too check the warranty. Usually when you go to a camera store they will try and rip you off, and IMO it's just better to get a new camera.

CountryWolf07
11-19-2007, 09:00 PM
I might as well try. I still have the receipt for it. I bought it at Wal-Mart; in August. So, tomorrow, it would be 3 months. It's not OLD, it's just, still a baby! I'm not sure, I don't see that I had a warranty with it, if I did, wouldn't I have been charged to add with the camera?? But I don't know if it automatically comes with one, but I do still have everything. I kept the box; camera plug, battery, charger, everything that came in the box. So, I don't know? Maybe I can get it replaced tomorrow when I get home. If not, I'll just buy a new one, unfortunately.

Cinder & Smoke
11-19-2007, 09:31 PM
Well, Good Luck with Wally, Kiddo! ;)

"A BIG DENT in the front" is what the camera folks call "Physical Damage" -
which is not covered by a "warranty".

I'd ask to talk to Wally's Camera Dept "Manager" --- not one of the Christmas help.
TRY to convince him it "just quit working" ... and when he points out the
HUGE DING in the front - say "Oh, THAT can't be it --- it's worked fine for a couple
months after that littl *bump* got there." (Try to keep a straight face)

They'll have to send it back to Casio to get an estimate ... but it **COULD** be
something as simple as a connector pulled apart ... but a repair tech will have to open it up and do some checking, inside.
WalMart may say it's been too long for them to be involved; and YOU will have to send it to Casio
for a warranty claim. (Don't mention the Big College FOOT part of the tail!)

However, Little Camera + BIG Dent ... Usually = BIG Repair Cost :(

/s/ Phred

CountryWolf07
11-19-2007, 09:49 PM
I think I will just AVOID it & just buy a new camera... it just wouldn't be worth going through all the hassle just to get it fixed.