PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving for your dogs?

lute
11-19-2007, 05:43 PM
What are your dogs doing for Thanksgiving? Are they getting a feast of their own or nothing special? I'm getting the biggest turkey I can find and cutting it up into sections and letting the dogs have at it...Along with some veggies of course.

ramanth
11-19-2007, 06:29 PM
Hadn't really decided. Though we gave this a try a few months ago with success, so I think we'll pick up a couple cans this year. :D

http://www.merrickpetcare.com/store/detail.php?c=15&s=21666

sumbirdy
11-19-2007, 06:30 PM
Every year my dogs (and cats!) get their own portion of turkey, mashed potatoes, rolls and some veggies. They can even get seconds if they like! :p

chocolatepuppy
11-19-2007, 07:32 PM
We give our dogs and cats a bit of our feast on Thanksgiving. ;)

Catlady711
11-19-2007, 07:44 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10558580/

Ginger's Mom
11-19-2007, 07:58 PM
Ginger is also getting some Merrick Thanksgiving dinner, and will probably get some Nutro Pumpkin crumble for dessert later in the evening. :)

luvofallhorses
11-19-2007, 08:02 PM
they usually get something special after everyone leaves. :)

Taz_Zoee
11-19-2007, 08:21 PM
Zoee gets to spend the day with her cousins, Boo and Lucy. And she gets to stay for 5 days while we are in Tahoe. No special meals though.

ramanth
11-19-2007, 08:22 PM
Oh! Nutro Pumpkin crumble? That sounds neat. I'll have to look into that. :D

We're going to be sure to spoil the pups with a psuedo Thanksgiving dinner.

Not a single table scrap will come near Chipper. Damn near killed him last year. Won't go through that again.

cyber-sibes
11-19-2007, 10:40 PM
They'll get some turkey and sweet potatoes with their dinner, too.
That "pumpkin crumble" sounds pretty good!

K9karen
11-19-2007, 10:51 PM
Meanie me will not be treating my girl to any hooman food. Cast iron stomach Cody only ever got ill on turkey, so I'll take no chances. I'll be cooking the birdie, stuffing, sweet potatoes and gravy and bringing it my neighbor's house since she just had knee replacement. Her hubby will attempt the rest of the meal, so there won't be any temptations for Mz Logan here anyway. Was this TMI??? :rolleyes: :D :D :D

Flatcoatluver
11-19-2007, 11:32 PM
The dogs are getting Merrick thanksgiving canned in there food. They normally have some merrick, but they have never tried the thanksgiving canned. :)

Giselle
11-20-2007, 01:11 AM
Safeway had a sale: 7$ for a turkey of any size. We bought two 21-pounders all for the pups :p

They've already eaten one. They get the second one on Thanksgiving. Oh well, it's always Thanksgiving here!

crow_noir
11-20-2007, 02:30 AM
Hmmm... I'd like to believe King will be floating around the Astral Plain preparing for his next big journey.

I have no idea on what Koli's current foster home plans on doing. I'm sure she'll get raw meat and veggies for breakfast and kibble for dinner like any other day. He's usually not one to bring scraps home to the doggies

*sigh* :( Currently doggless.

pitc9
11-20-2007, 07:08 AM
My pups get a few tasty treats mixed in with their food, not too much.
No turkey for Sierra! Poultry upsets her tummy. :(
(so I have to sneak Bud a few pieces of turkey when Sierra's not looking :o )

Danegirl2208
11-20-2007, 04:21 PM
Malakai always comes along with me for Thanksgiving dinner..so i'm sure he'll be getting more than fair share of treats :rolleyes:. The girls will get a turkey leg when we get home (raw of course).

bckrazy
11-20-2007, 07:11 PM
Fozzie & Gonzo are getting turkey wings and turkey necks. : D Raw of course.

I'm also making them a special pumpkin pie, sans sugar.

Alysser
11-20-2007, 07:26 PM
Well she sits in front of the oven and cries for about 4 1/2 hours, so I guess she does deserve some. We usually give her a small bowl of turkey and some yummy mashed potatoes. :) My brother always sneaks her something extra, but I'll keep a close watch on him.

Freedom
11-20-2007, 08:01 PM
Thanks for making this thread!

I usually do give the dogs something at Thanksgiving. They normally get some Merrick mixed in with their kibble every evening. I get the Senior Medley and the Turducken. So I read this and thought, "why not the Thanksgiving dinner?" So I went out this evening for a few errands which was going to include some Merrick cans anyway and I picked up 2 cans for them. Half a can will be more than enough for these small dogs. I already have the pumpkin crumble in stock. (what they get for a normal evening meal, one can lasts 2 or 3 nights.)

Oh, and the place was out of Turducken, so I bought some Meditteranean Banquet to let them try that one.

SaveThePoundDogs
11-20-2007, 08:44 PM
Feeding all my 9 dogs would mean no food for the people on Thanksgiving!! Wow would the dogs be thankful :D ;)

SaveThePoundDogs
11-22-2007, 02:33 PM
Actually I guess my sisters having thanksgiving at her house and everyones bringin their dogs so im bringing my 9, and im sure they will get a ton of table scraps and i gave them some chicken broth each this morning too.

Scooter's Mom
11-22-2007, 08:32 PM
My dogs and kitties got some of their normal dry food today. Wooo, exciting! But, I did put some turkey juice on it to make it tasty.

I try not to feed them "people food" often. Although hubby feeds the dogs pizza crust - and then wonders why they beg off him. LOL

anna_66
11-23-2007, 02:20 PM
it's always Thanksgiving here!
Same here!
They always love a good turkey meal:D

IRescue452
11-23-2007, 09:44 PM
Autumn's got 10 pounds of turkey bits and pieces in the freezer anyway. A holiday treat is when the meal is cooked with all the trimmings. Some company used to have a tiny canned cranberry pie made specifically for dogs, but I haven't seen that in over 6 years.

nancyweNW
11-25-2007, 12:11 AM
Mickey, my dog and the two cats, Charlie and Missy probably got more than they should have but they loved it. Salmon and I admit it, some whipped cream from the top of my pie.

wolf_Q
11-25-2007, 12:16 AM
I gave them each some turkey. But with 4 little kids running around my house that day, they had more than enough people food given to them (or dropped). :rolleyes:

I looked for the nutro pumpkin dessert but I couldn't find them.

Pembroke_Corgi
11-26-2007, 01:24 PM
My dogs each got a bully stick and some dog cookies from 3 dog bakery (but they had a 4 pound box at Costco so they've been getting cookies everyday! :p ).

kimlovescats
11-26-2007, 11:57 PM
I cooked 2 turkeys, so all my doggies and kitties got turkey for Thanksgiving! Only a few of my kitties liked it, but the doggies DEVOURED IT!! :D