PDA

View Full Version : Mixed puppies

Tanya1414
05-15-2001, 02:42 PM
I was at the shelter yesterday and they had a litter of lab/chow chow mixed puppies. Adorable to look at but do you think they'd make nice pets? I wonder what their temperament would be like.

aly
05-15-2001, 03:37 PM
I see several chow mixes go in and out of the shelter. Of all the lab/chow mixes I've seen, each one was different. If raised properly, I'm sure they'll make wonderful dogs. Chows are one of those breeds that require a little more training than some other breeds. It all comes down to the personality they are born with and the way they are raised. I fell in love with a 6 yr old chow who was the biggest sweetheart in the world. I have also met a 3 yr old chow who spent all three of her years on a chain in a yard and that led to some pretty aggressive behavior. We were able to redeem her though because underneath the agressiveness she turned out to be a big softie. I guess my point is dogs are like humans, each with different personalities. The breed can alert you to be aware of certain things but when it comes right down to it, you just have to spend time with the individual to figure out his/her exact temperment.

tatsxxx11
05-15-2001, 04:11 PM
I agree with Aly. Each one is different. The combination of the usually sweet tempered lab and the sometimes unpredictable temperment of the Chow (or so "they" say) makes it a case of determining the personality on a pup by pup basis. I know of one lab/chow mix who boards at the kennel I work at. He is the SWEETEST boy! Definitely the lab personalitly predominates. I generally do not presume personality on a breed basis. I have found too many contradicitons to the popular assumption! Can you spend some time with the puppies?? Like Aly said, the way the pup is raised has soooooo much to do with how their personalities are ultimately determined. The pups sound precious! Can you bring Hans to the shelter so see how they get along?? Let us know!!

Rottie
05-15-2001, 05:21 PM
I hate saying this but I've never met a friendly chow. But I'm sure there are lots of chows that I've just not met that are friendly. With mix breed puppies you can't really tell too much what they're going to be like when they're older. I'm sure if you love them and train them, they'll do fine though! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Corinna
05-15-2001, 05:33 PM
I have saved a couple abused full bloods ,and helped train a couple mixes They all have different personalityes . Just as all dogs Socialization is the the key.