PDA

View Full Version : Honestly, what breed do you think this dog is?

Giselle
11-18-2007, 08:30 PM
There's a reason behind this, but I first want to know what you all think first.

What breed do you think this dog is?
http://virtualpetadoptions.com/user_images/pets/pictures/Kyle.jpg

http://virtualpetadoptions.com/user_images/pets/pictures/Kyle1.jpg

http://virtualpetadoptions.com/user_images/pets/pictures/kyleclass.jpg

shais_mom
11-18-2007, 08:34 PM
my uneducuated and probably way off guess is a Belgian something - maybe malinois?

cali
11-18-2007, 08:40 PM
looks like a GSD mix to me...the skull is really broad though and reminds me almost of some sort of mastiff...

Taz_Zoee
11-18-2007, 09:23 PM
GSD is what I thought from the first picture. But then looking at the body, it is certainly a mix. But I would venture to guess GSD is part of that mix.
The last pic almost had me thinking Akita, but probably not.

critter crazy
11-18-2007, 09:27 PM
Reminds me of an GSD/Akita mix I had once!:)

angelbow20
11-18-2007, 09:35 PM
It looks like a German shepard mix...

sumbirdy
11-18-2007, 11:26 PM
I see chow, german shepard, and something else...can't quite put a name to it.

BC_MoM
11-19-2007, 12:00 AM
Hmm.. I at first was going to say German Shepherd. But then his body looks very Malinois to me. But his head... it looks a bit wonky for a Malinois!

crow_noir
11-19-2007, 02:38 AM
I'd agree... Belgium Malinois. (It was my very first thought.) (More accurately... "The smooth Belgium Shepherd that looks like a standard GSD." ...where on i proceeded to Dog Breed Info. http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/belgianmalinois.htm )

If we were going for mixes i'd guess GSD/Boxer

crow_noir
11-19-2007, 02:40 AM
That's what i was thinking. It does, but it doesn't. I just can't place it, but something seems off about the head if it is a BM. *shrug*

Hmm.. I at first was going to say German Shepherd. But then his body looks very Malinois to me. But his head... it looks a bit wonky for a Malinois!

pitc9
11-19-2007, 11:07 AM
I would say Malinois/GSD.

binka_nugget
11-19-2007, 12:13 PM
Nothing but the color screams Malinois to me. Mals are generally very deep chested and have thin frames. Even for a GSD/Mal, the dog still looks a bit stocky, but who knows.. could be a Mal x larger breed.

Giselle
11-19-2007, 08:31 PM
Mmm well, I guess the verdict is in then. The dog above is named Kyle. He's doing very poorly in the shelter because our shelter, unfortunately, is the classic loud, noisy, chain-link-kennel type. He is losing weight, developing obsessive compulsive behaviors like tail chasing, and is acting generally subdued. The shelter is considering euthanizing him because no fosters have stepped up. I tried getting him into a Mal rescue but they refused to help because he wasn't "even part mal". I know he's by no means purebred and, now, I guess he really isn't even part mal, but it's disappointing because Kyle is deteriorating and the shelter doesn't want to keep him in this condition any longer. He doesn't even look enough GSD to get into a GSD rescue so I don't know anymore. I really love this guy, and I can not believe that he of all dogs is on the potential list for euth :(

crow_noir
11-20-2007, 02:12 AM
Awwwe... Poor guy. He sooooo totally looks at least part Malinois!!! I'd say look around a bit more. (Outside CA.) Look for a group willing to do a transport. Go on the boards on Care2 or Petfinder.

Best of luck to you Kyle!!! *hugs*

pitc9
11-20-2007, 11:19 AM
Instead of looking for a breed specific rescue to take him why not look for an all breed rescue.

I hope things work out for him. :(

Is he listed on www.dogsindanger.com

Giselle
11-20-2007, 08:10 PM
It's really not up to me, but from what I understand, Kyle has slight food/resource guarding issues. The one all-breed rescue that actively takes dogs out of shelters extensively screens their dogs. They refuse to take in dogs with aggression type behavioral problems. Since shelters in this area are pretty much bursting with pups, I don't think they'll spend their resources on Kyle. Sad, but true. =/

We'll see...We're getting Kyle's name out there so hopefully a foster home will step up. He's not listed on dogsindanger, but I'll let the shelter know.

cyber-sibes
11-21-2007, 07:58 AM
Poor Kyle, we;ll keep all paws crossed & be praying someone will step up -- miracles happen.
BTW, I know it's sort of a mute issue now, but in that last picture, his head looks like he could have some Great Dane in him too, but it's probably just the angle. He's pretty stocky.

IRescue452
11-23-2007, 09:23 AM
I'd think either rescue would be able to take him. No, he doesn't look any Belgian shepherd to me, but he's got the same type. Somebody looking for a dog who is similar in build to a belgian could take him just the same. Rescues aren't tied down by breed. Sure they like to stick to one breed, but I've seen specific rescues take on other dogs when in need. Wallace was in a cat rescue when we got him.

Giselle
11-23-2007, 07:32 PM
I'd think either rescue would be able to take him. No, he doesn't look any Belgian shepherd to me, but he's got the same type. Somebody looking for a dog who is similar in build to a belgian could take him just the same. Rescues aren't tied down by breed. Sure they like to stick to one breed, but I've seen specific rescues take on other dogs when in need. Wallace was in a cat rescue when we got him.
The Mal rescue refused to take him in. That's why I made this post because I was so flabbergasted. Breed rescues are tied down to take dogs in by breed. Otherwise, it begins a slippery slope and what then decides who gets taken in and who doesn't? I understand where they're coming from, so I can't blame them. I'm just sad because I really liked Kyle =/

SaveThePoundDogs
11-25-2007, 08:04 PM
I'm almost 100% sure he's a Belgain Malinois x German Shepherd.

Falconara
11-26-2007, 04:10 PM
First thing that came to mind was Malinois :p

Though there could definetley be German Shepherd or Dutch Shepherd in there too...The Dutch Malinois (a Golden Sable dutch shepherd...non registerable though) is another possibility.

wolfsoul
11-26-2007, 04:19 PM
He could be a mal mix, and I wouldn't even say it's impossible for him to be a purebred. It is hard to tell with working lines, they can vary so much. There are breeders out there that do breed for heads like that, because most people do believe it gives them a much better bite. Not incredibly uncommon to have a mal with such a short coat, but more common to have a thicker short double coat.

Here are some working mals that are quite similar.
http://kennel.jomas.nl/teven/tessa_web.jpg
http://kennel.jomas.nl/nesten/Aichi_x_Evgeny/evgeny.jpg

To me he has more GSD qualities. His shoulders are placed high, like a GSD. His pasterns and feet give me the impression of a GSD. His front legs are structurally placed in a better spot, and I find GSDs to achieve this more than Belgians do. His knees look like they turn out which is more of a Belgian thing (and a very bad thing too). He also has long legs which is definatly not a GSD thing, it's more Belgian.

Impossible to tell -- I would rely on his temperament and behaviours at this point lol. If he's a malinois he'll probably always be in motion, trotting this way and that. He'll probably have a strong tendency to carry things in his mouth at most times. He'd probably have stronger prey drive than most dogs. He might use his front feet alot, especially in play. He won't whine often but he could have a very loud and sharp bark (that will hurt your ears). He could be very reactive, and would always be watching and knowing everything that is going on around him -- very alert.
GSDs, especially in kennel situations, I find to be very very noisy. Lots of whining, lots of sniveling. They feel very sorry for themselves LOL. I've never found this in a Belgian -- they are generally very quiet dogs that bark on occasion, and it almost ruptures your eardrums every time.

If you give me his information I will post on Belg-L and contact the AMBC rescue coordinator. If they won't take him (usually they are good about it, I know they've taken in GSDs on occasion), I have a friend in California who is the BSCA rescue coordinator, and he has a big heart -- he may be able to help out.

LydiaO
11-30-2007, 09:10 AM
I'm thinking a Malinois, too...?

GSDluver4lyfe
12-08-2007, 03:03 AM
My first guess would have been GSD/Mal.

Suki Wingy
12-09-2007, 11:59 AM
Well, he actually looks a lot like a friend's dog who I met at dog training classes. I asked if she was a Mal mix and she said it was an AKC GSD bitch who was blowing coat. (and obviously not bred for conformation)

Mobizo
12-13-2007, 12:04 PM
I honestly think that it's a Belgian Malinois, but I could be wrong.

kallisto4529
12-17-2007, 11:16 PM
what happened with Kyle he is a beautiful dog, I really hope someone stepped up for him

Giselle
12-18-2007, 04:07 PM
He's still at the shelter. I've been asking people and the shelter contacted a rescue but they said they were "full". Sounds like rejection if you ask me >_>

He still acts very subdued at the shelter and it really is heartbreaking to see him. If I didn't have Ivy... ;)

SemaviLady
01-12-2008, 06:00 PM
There's a reason behind this, but I first want to know what you all think first.

What breed do you think this dog is?
http://virtualpetadoptions.com/user_images/pets/pictures/Kyle.jpg

http://virtualpetadoptions.com/user_images/pets/pictures/Kyle1.jpg

http://virtualpetadoptions.com/user_images/pets/pictures/kyleclass.jpg

He looks a lot like a malinois/GSD cross. In fact, your instincts are pretty spot on. These are popular in some working circles (there's a reason for that too).

He may or may not have been started out as a police dog. Maybe he was one in a litter that didn't pass the screening tests, but went to a pet home. Pet homes are often not prepared to deal with a dog that is bred to have high protection drives. But experienced homes do exist.

I feel for this dog too. :( It's very stressy to be in an environment that creates so much conflict with it's natural instincts and drives.

See this google image search (http://images.google.com/images?q=german+shepherd+malinois+mix&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi) search for examples of these deliberate crosses, also visit some of the sites. I'm sure some of them are training or breeding sites.

A reason that rescues may not have resources to deal with such designer-like mixes is that funds are often raised to support purebred rescue and they are not without fostering and financing issues. But many purebred rescues do sometimes work with those that deal with other breeds and mixtures of the same genre because their fostering resources are sometimes increased that way.

Our Anatolian rescue works with some mixed breed cases for the above reasons. (but it's not a wide open door due to resources) Anatolians are sometimes crossed with Great Pyrenees and the problem occurs when the dogs are not placed carefully or if the source doesn't provide problem solving support during the dog's training.

On a related note, the doodle and 'poo' craze does create a lot of animals that can be traced back to the poodle for instance, but there is just no way that poodle rescues can deal with the volume. As popular as some types of mixes get, there probably are not a lot of national rescues specifically for such mixes. So it's a sad reality.

shepsrbest
01-13-2008, 10:23 AM
malinois with some Shepherd for size, tight tail, etc. It has more Malinois I would say cause of color, face, ears. Nice dog very muscled.

Emeraldgreen
01-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Our dog Muddy is a malinois cross and I think this dog looks ALOT like one too. I also think he looks like he might be mixed with Rhodesian Ridgeback. In one of the pics you provided it looks like there might be a slight ridge going down his back. The colouring is right for both Malinois and Ridgeback. The shape of forehead reminds me of a Ridgeback too and the dark muzzle as well. My RB dog, Smokey was a shep/rhodesian cross and looked quite a bit like this dog.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd102/emeraldcreek/rhodesian.jpg

Ariana
01-31-2008, 02:57 PM
Belgium Malinois!! but I also think it looks part German Shepard...

lovebugsxo
02-08-2008, 06:10 PM
Does your town ever do a "pet of the week" either through the news or the newspaper? The city we lived in in Texas did, and that was how they avoided having to put down quite a few animals. I hope he finds a home- he's just beautiful!

Giselle
02-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Oh, I should update. Kyle isn't in the shelter anymore. I didn't ask so I don't know whether he was given to a rescue, adopted, or euth'd. I'll find out soon, though.

dreamparkingspace
02-09-2008, 01:28 PM
Definitely some Belgian Malinois would be my guess. Perhaps some Akita too.

Giselle
02-18-2008, 02:45 AM
Ooooh, I found Kyle:
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=10142387

Guess the Mal people wouldn't take him, so the GSD people did :rolleyes: Thank DoG somebody had room in their heart for him!

Alysser
02-18-2008, 04:18 PM
I am so glad SOMEONE took the poor guy! I really didn't think it was necessary to put him down. Hope someone adopts the sweet boy. :)

pitc9
02-19-2008, 09:32 AM
I'm glad to hear someone took him!

flipgirl
02-20-2008, 08:38 PM
I'd agree with a bit of the Mal and GSD but what about a bit of Great Dane? His stop reminds me of a dane but I could be totally off....however, I hope he has been adopted by a loving family who will appreciate the guy's good looks!

shepsrbest
02-20-2008, 08:50 PM
Shepherd and Malinois for sure. Coat, color, size all points to the mix.

dab_20
03-09-2008, 12:56 AM
He looks to be a German Shepherd cross... possibly with boxer or maybe even a slender pittie? I would think a Malinois cross... but that breed is not very common. It's possible though.

jerseygirl08
03-10-2008, 04:19 PM
My guess is german shepard/great dane mix?