View Full Version : Brrrrrrr, it's cold in here!!!

moosmom
11-18-2007, 11:29 AM
My apartment building has been without heat for 2 days!!!! Poor MooShoo is in his sweater burrowed in the down throw. I'm on my 3rd cup of coffee (I normally only drink 1 cup per day, I've got 2 layers of clothes on trying to keep warm. On Tuesday there was no hot water (no oil). Had to take a sponge bath in order to go to work. Because it's Sunday, the poor answering service is getting the brunt of the complaints, and from what they told me, there have been MANY.

This is one of the times I wish I had an oil space heater AND a heated mattress pad!!!

gini
11-18-2007, 11:33 AM
I have never minded being too hot............but I just hate being cold..........brrr........ hope it gets resolved for you soon!

caseysmom
11-18-2007, 11:35 AM
No heat is against the law and considered an emergency, you could have had it repaired and they would have paid you back or at least they should have a number to reach on weekends, that is just awful.

moosmom
11-18-2007, 11:40 AM
They do have an emergency number to call. It's an answering service who calls maintenance to fix it. I asked them if they could have maintenance call me and their reply was, "For what??" They gave me the number of the corporate office and I left a message to have them call me Monday morning. We'll see what happens.

caseysmom
11-18-2007, 11:45 AM
I know here in california heat is considered an emergency and it doesn't get that cold here, at least when we bought our new home the contractor said if there is a problem with the heat and you can't reach us you can call someone and if we have to reimburse you, they said the same thing doesn't happen for a/c breaking.

Cinder & Smoke
11-18-2007, 12:20 PM
:eek:

WHO PAYS for the elecrticity used in your apartment - YOU or the rental company?

Wally Mart sells many "Electrical Space Heaters" for about $20.00 or so ...
the only rub is they tend to spin the electric meter pretty quickly and can
run up the monthly bill by quite a bit ...

If YOU get the electrical bill and have to pay it seperately from the rent ...
think twice before you get a heater.

BUT, if the electrical charges are included in your monthly rent ...
dash over to Wally's and grab a heater!
Just make sure it's labeled to work on a "15 Amp" outlet. (Not 20 amps)

Also - see if you have "grounded outlets" available - two slots and a round hole.
If you have older 2-bladed outlets - pick up an "adaptor" to convert the heater's 3-wire
plug into a 2-bladed plug.

DON'T fall for all the BS & Hype on the boxes for the $50-$100 models they sell ...
the cheapy $20.00 box heats just as well as the "expensive" models!

Happie *Shivvvvering*!

moosmom
11-18-2007, 02:04 PM
Phred,

I just checked the radiator in the living room. Only about 6 inches is luke warm. The rest of the place is freaking stone cold. I'm thinking of taking a ride to Ocean State Job Lots and picking one up. Oh wait!! Just remembered, no money. Oh well, I'll just keep packing on the clothing. This sucks!!

Randi
11-18-2007, 02:27 PM
Oh, you have my sympathy. I was in a similar situation one time, that was for weeks and weeks though. I lived in a building with three flats and two owners. The two owners hated each other - one would not pay the other, so he shut off the heating system, except in the flat HE lived in. The 78 year old lady and I were left with no heating at all! :mad: Nothing happened until I contacted the authoraties and they forced them to put it back on.

Did I mention it was a winter when we had up to minus 15 C.

moosmom
11-18-2007, 02:31 PM
Well, I know Phred is gonna have something to say about this, but I've resorted to my oven. It's electric and is helping to warm the place up, since I have no money to buy a space heater.

Phred, being a former firefighter, I KNOW it's a no-no but I cannot go another day without heat. MooShoo is gonna get sick. If THAT happens, they'll get my vet bill.

caseysmom
11-18-2007, 02:38 PM
when you called the answering service why didn't you tell them this is an emergency we need heat? Or did you, you just said they said they said "for what" did you say you are freezing?

We rent a little place at the beach and sometimes the pilot is not lit on the little furnace and we are afraid to have to light it so we have used the oven too :o

Freedom
11-18-2007, 03:48 PM
Oh no, Donna!

First, switch to decaf or hot chocolate or you will be bouncing off the walls!!!

Wait, that may warm you up!! :rolleyes:

Call the local police dept, on the non emergency line. Ask them if they have any suggestions. No heat is against the law; weekends it is tough as you can't reach the right authorities to get quick action.

Laura's Babies
11-18-2007, 04:20 PM
I have a twin size electric blanket! Want me to run it over to ya?

jennielynn1970
11-18-2007, 07:41 PM
Have they said why there is no heat???

I have a few of those little electric heaters that I bought at WalMart or Kmart for about $14.00, and for the small rooms that don't get a lot of heat from the furnace, they work well.

Hope the mgt. company gets off it's butt and fixes whatever is wrong. I don't care if it is the weekend, it's their job to repair things, and when it's 30* outside and you don't have heat, they better have one heck on an excuse for not providing an alternative or getting it fixed. I'm sure with what they collect in rent they could have afforded an emergency maintenance guy.

crow_noir
11-19-2007, 03:21 AM
Oh goody, you already thought of it. (I haven't been on PT for what two days now?... I'm just now getting to this thread.)

I've had to use the oven before. It helps to gather the family into the kitchen and shut off the other rooms (if at all possible.)

Well, I know Phred is gonna have something to say about this, but I've resorted to my oven. It's electric and is helping to warm the place up, since I have no money to buy a space heater.

Phred, being a former firefighter, I KNOW it's a no-no but I cannot go another day without heat. MooShoo is gonna get sick. If THAT happens, they'll get my vet bill.

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-19-2007, 05:13 AM
It is ice-cold here too today..... . Our central heating system doesn't work, the circulation pump is broken...! I hope that the installer comes around TODAY to fix it, before I freeze in to a icecube :eek:

moosmom
11-19-2007, 12:23 PM
We finally have heat!!! Poor Moo is still burrowed, and I had all the cats in and on my bed last night. I'm waiting for the management to call me back. The way they handled it was totally unacceptable.

M&I Mommy,

I'll say a prayer that they get it fixed quickly, unlike MY management company.

mina'smomma
11-19-2007, 12:50 PM
Donna did they say why the heat was off for two whole days???? :confused: I can't believe they couldn't have gotten it fixed before now.

Freedom
11-19-2007, 04:14 PM
Glad to hear the heat is ON.

I'd still report to the proper authorities. There WILL be a next time. :rolleyes: That's just a fact of building ownership, be a home, a rental, whatever. They need to be able to deal with emergencies.