PDA

View Full Version : taking care of a siberian husky and their behavior

poke19931
11-18-2007, 08:56 AM
i went to various websites about siberian husky and got quite a lot of info about them
but, i've got loads of queries:

1) it is said that they cant never be in any place that has a high temperature, and the problem is, i live in malaysia, and its hot everyday, we have no '4 seasons' here.

2) im only 14 years old, and my parents warned me, if i were to rear a dog, i'll have to take 100% responsibility towards it. Am i able to take care of it, and most importantly, CONTROL it?

3) it is said that siberian huskies are very active, they LOVE to run. I have some space for a dog to run about. But then there are gates, and there are holes between those gates. What if the husky(puppy) runs away through those holes?

4) im still a student and i spend 6 hours per day in school, and 3 hours tuition on weekdays(mon,tues,fri). Im afraid that the time that i can spend with the dog will be too short. Im afraid that he will get lonely. As my parents work from day to night, and while im in school, the only person left in the house is my grandma =.= Siberian husky can be destructive when they're lonely, while im not at home, who knows wat the dog might do?

5) once a year, siberian husky shed their coats. And they lose a lot of hair, is it very irritating to see hair dropped all over ur house?

6)i only plan to buy 1 husky, and no other dog can accompany him while im away, will it go crazy if i juz leave him inside the kennel until i come back home from school?

Those who are having a siberian husky or ever had one, please help me!
all helps are appreaciated

crow_noir
11-19-2007, 02:26 AM
Helping take care of a foster husky for the first time i have to say they they are a challenging dog for even an experienced dog owner. I would not recommend them as a first time dog as their exercise requirements are a lot. In a home where the only person taking care of the dog is a student i wouldn't recommend it either. If the whole family would be exercising the dog it might be a different story.

I will try to answer your questions though from my experiences and from what i've read.

1) it is said that they cant never be in any place that has a high temperature, and the problem is, i live in malaysia, and its hot everyday, we have no '4 seasons' here.
I've read that they can adjust better to hot temps because their coat provides wonderful insulation. I personally don't think they'd be their happiest in hot temps though. I just see them lay around panting when it's really hot out.

2)im only 14 years old, and my parents warned me, if i were to rear a dog, i'll have to take 100% responsibility towards it. Am i able to take care of it, and most importantly, CONTROL it?
Huskies can be very strong. They're bread for PULLING. I was lucky that the one i was put in charge of is somewhat obedient on a leash. Only you know how responsible of a person you can be and how strong you are mentally and physically. Huskies are also very intelligent and need mental exercise as well as things such as walks. Oh, and a 1/2 hour walk twice daily might be enough for most dogs. Most huskies require MUCH more.

3) it is said that siberian huskies are very active, they LOVE to run. I have some space for a dog to run about. But then there are gates, and there are holes between those gates. What if the husky(puppy) runs away through those holes?
Around here i'd say Huskies are probably the #1 dogs that never see home again (out of those that just run away and are not stolen.) I was warned that huskies can be diggers. The one i was put in charge of wasn't though. She does like to run away though and not come back. Each time we were VERY lucky that she was caught. On the bright side... a well taken care of husky may decided to come home all on its own... If it is in its personality. (Not the one i was put in charge of.)

4) im still a student and i spend 6 hours per day in school, and 3 hours tuition on weekdays(mon,tues,fri). Im afraid that the time that i can spend with the dog will be too short. Im afraid that he will get lonely. As my parents work from day to night, and while im in school, the only person left in the house is my grandma =.= Siberian husky can be destructive when they're lonely, while im not at home, who knows wat the dog might do?
Six hours wouldn't bee too long, but i think nine hours would be. It might not be an issue of being lonely, but being bored. Any dog with out something to do or a friend to entertain them can become destructive.

5) once a year, siberian husky shed their coats. And they lose a lot of hair, is it very irritating to see hair dropped all over ur house?
While I've heard husky owners say a husky sheds a LOT, i really don't see the problem. The husky i was/am taking care of shed in one year what my shepherd shed in one week. (Then again, i've had a LOT of people comment on what a tight coat she has. It really is quite different. Even thicker.)

6)i only plan to buy 1 husky, and no other dog can accompany him while im away, will it go crazy if i juz leave him inside the kennel until i come back home from school? see #2, 3, and 4

I hope that gives you some insight.

buttercup132
11-20-2007, 07:50 PM
I don't know how hot it is there but I would think they can stand it.

2) im only 14 years old, and my parents warned me, if i were to rear a dog, i'll have to take 100% responsibility towards it. Am i able to take care of it, and most importantly, CONTROL it?
It depends on how much time you are willing to put into training.

You could cover up the holes in the gate (if your allowed).

Can you walk home? Maybe you could get your grandma to let puppy out to go pee in the backyard. Also I would suggest crate training your puppy so he can't be destructive while your out (and it will help with accidents)
There are a few people who are young on here who go to school and have raised puppies and they are just fine.

For that you should keep them regularly brushed, if you can afford it go to the groomers every once in a while (when puppy sheds the most) and they will blow all the dead hair out which will help alot with shedding.

6)i only plan to buy 1 husky, and no other dog can accompany him while im away, will it go crazy if i juz leave him inside the kennel until i come back home from school?
That's like the same as crate training I would assume so I would think so.

You seem pretty responsible if your only 14 and doing so much research, maybe you should go with a different dog though.

cyber-sibes
11-20-2007, 11:09 PM
Please ask yourself why you want a siberian. Most people are attracted to their looks, but that's not a good reason to get one.

Unless you have the time, patience, space, and accomodations for a siberian, I would strongly recommend you look into another breed. Siberians are wonderful dogs, but yes, they can be challenging, destructive, stubborn, escape repeatedly, major diggers, and some can be quite loud if left alone for long periods. The fur never ends - the big shed is called "blowing coat" because it comes out in handfuls then, but they shed all year.

When you have the yard space, minimum 6' tall fencing, companionship for them so they aren't alone all day, and have plenty of time to exercise them, take them to obedience classes & work with them (because they never stop pushing the limits), then you stand a chance of having both a happy dog and a happy family.

From what you posted, it doesn't sound like you are ready for one yet. Maybe down the road? There are many other breeds that would be better suited to your lifestyle. :) I'm not trying to be harsh, just realistic. Too many Siberians end up in shelters because they were more than the person bargained for. You deserve credit for looking into this before committing - very smart. ;)

Freedom
11-21-2007, 03:41 PM
Thee are many breed selectors on the internet which will help you find a breed which suits you based on your schedule, ability to care for the dog and so on. It is not perfect. you will still need to reasearch the breeds. But you shouldprobably try a selector ( or 3!) and look at the top 5 breeds which come up for you.

Here are some links for breed selectors:

http://www.selectsmart.com/DOG/

http://www.petnet.com.au/selectadog.asp

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm

http://animal.discovery.com/breedselector/dogselectorindex.do

http://www.breederretriever.com/breedselector.php

http://us.iams.com/iams/en_US/jsp/IAMS_Page.jsp?pageID=DBS

best wishes.

cassiesmom
11-21-2007, 07:19 PM
Unfortunately, this won't be of help to the young person in the first post, but perhaps it will be to someone else. I'll go just to watch the sledding demonstrations and hopefully give some petting afterward :D

Morton Arboretum, Lisle, Illinois
Tails on the Trails

Date: 1/26/08 - 1/27/08
Time: 11:00AM- 4:00 PM
Phone: 630-968-0074 www.mortonarb.org

The whole family will revel in one of our most popular winter events -"Tails on the Trails." Watch Siberian huskies and sleds, and speed demonstrations, in beautiful meadow. Meet with Adopt-A-Husky volunteers who will show friendly, rescued Siberian huskies that are available for adoption; adoption proceeds support Adopt-A-Husky. View a video and slide presentation on how these dogs and humans work together; presentation tickets limited and available one hour prior to each free showing.

crow_noir
11-22-2007, 01:31 AM
Re: Breed Selectors

I actually find them to be quite inaccurate. If anything though they are very good for making someone aware about all the things to consider when selecting a dog. In that regard i find them useful.

I actually think that the Dog of the Day archives paint a Very lively picture :D The dogs personalities really shine.

Talking to MANY people who have experience with a breed is really the best way to get a good idea about the breed. Talking to a few all-breed rescues might be a good way to get some realistic suggestions for breeds to look for.

Glacier
11-22-2007, 11:51 AM
I have 24 dogs--three purebred siberians, a purebred malamute and 20 husky mixes.

They can adapt to higher temps. Their double coat insulates against both high and low temperatures. In hotter areas, air conditioning would be a must for a siberian to cope. Personally, I wouldn't keep a sibe in a constantly hot climate. My dogs are miserable at 20C and extremely happy and active at -30C.

Depends on your size, strength and the dog's training level. I am by no means a small woman and I have husky mix who is despite being fairly well trained, I can't control on leash.(Deuce for those that know my dogs). He's a great sled dog, will pull all day, but he will dislocate my shoulder on a leash, regardless of training collars, haltis ect. My husband who is a very large, powerful man has difficulty controlling Deuce on lead.

There is no what if about it. A husky will get through those holes and probably make new ones. Chances are good that when that happens, you won't see your dog again. Huskies do NOT have a homing instinct. They don't come back on their own. They run until they are tired and that's a very long way. One of mine escaped almost two years ago. It took a month of daily search efforts to find him and it was a fluke that we did at all. He was 50 miles from home when we located him. Took another two days to actually catch him once we found out where he was.

Huskies are remarkable escape artists. They climb fences, they dig out, they break tethers. We have spent a ridiculous amount of time and money making our property as escape proof as possible. The fence is still checked every couple days for new holes, weak spots and potential escape zones.

My Mac and Anvik can both clear a six foot fence from a standstill. I can't use chainlink--my dogs think it's a ladder. To get anywhere in my yard you have to go through a minimum of two gates, all of which have two latches on them and locking clips in each latch. Several of my dogs can open gate latches. They regularly check to make sure I put the locking clips back on.

The desire to escape has nothing to do with how the husky feels about his owner. It's instinct and it's unchangeable. It does not mellow with age. I let my guard down for a split second last week and spent the next several hours searching for an 11 year old Siberian who had been waiting for years for his chance to go for a wander.

Crate training. Crates are the greatest invention ever. Left alone and unsupervised, especially a puppy, you will come home to much destruction.

That once a year thing is big breed lie. They blow their coats once a year, when you can pull out fur by the handful, but they shed constantly, year round. Be prepared to vacuum alot and burn out alot of vacuums!

Huskies are pack animals. A single husky can do fine, but it requires a great deal of committment and time from the owner.

Do you have smaller pets--a cat, bunny, bird, hamster ect? Huskies are very prey driven. It's not aggression, but most of them will kill smaller animals. My dogs hunt squirrels; have opened rodent cages and snatch birds out of the air. I have cats too and have to take many precautions to keep the cats safe from the huskies. It doesn't always work. When one of my cats escaped the house in May 2005, she was killed by the dogs immediately. The dogs knew her well and had lived with her peaceably for five years, until she got outside. If you have other pets, you need to seriously consider how you will keep them safe.

zcoyotegirl
11-22-2007, 02:20 PM
I have been reading all the replies to your questions about Siberian Huskies, and, as someone who was "Mom" to two Siberians, for 13 and 16 years, I can tell you that it is a huge (but beautiful) responsibility to provide them with the excellent care they deserve. In fact, my Husky who lived to 13 years was completely blind by age 3. He was, however, a true inspiration and full of robust joy of life...simply had slightly more "special needs" than my other "son", who lived to 16 years of age.

Yes-they are highly active-in fact my 16 year old was running/walking up until 2 weeks before his passing.

Yes-they bolt their coats constantly. I moved them from New England to California, where they lived most of their lives, so the heat seemed to stimulate their bolting to the ninth power! The birds in my neighborhood took full opportunity to gather my dog's fur and create the cutest little fuzzy nests I've ever seen!

As far as escaping, I found it necessary to dig a few feet down along the fence line and install sturdy (vinyl coated) wire underground, to prevent the rascals from digging out. Otherwise, they would have been off and running, as Rebels with 4 paws will do.

One of my Huskies was a fierce hunter of things like: birds, snakes, rats, mice, squirrels, a rabbit, and a ferret. It was not easy to witness his lightning fast instinct, but this is intrinsic to the breed. I would recommend being extra cautious with small animals.

One great joy I shared with my dogs was howling. At least once daily, and always profoundly...they take their howling very seriously... :p

Well-I thought I'd add my experience to the mix, since these animals were the loves of my life, and 2 of the greatest teachers I have known.

Much joy in any and all of your choices in this realm, and beyond!

cassiesmom
12-19-2007, 02:17 PM
Unfortunately, this won't be of help to the young person in the first post, but perhaps it will be to someone else. I'll go just to watch the sledding demonstrations and hopefully give some petting afterward :D

Morton Arboretum, Lisle, Illinois
Tails on the Trails

Date: 1/26/08 - 1/27/08
Time: 11:00AM- 4:00 PM
Phone: 630-968-0074 www.mortonarb.org

The whole family will revel in one of our most popular winter events -"Tails on the Trails." Watch Siberian huskies and sleds, and speed demonstrations, in beautiful meadow. Meet with Adopt-A-Husky volunteers who will show friendly, rescued Siberian huskies that are available for adoption; adoption proceeds support Adopt-A-Husky. View a video and slide presentation on how these dogs and humans work together; presentation tickets limited and available one hour prior to each free showing.

:D I am SO looking forward to this! Pet Talk has turned me into a Siberian husky fan! I hope it will be a day just like today, sunny and 30s F with nice snow on the ground. I hope there will be petting of the Siberian huskies afterward! And I want to hear the husky WOOs live and in person! I'll take pictures!

cassiesmom
01-23-2008, 04:07 PM
Saturday... partly cloudy with highs in the low 30s... should be fun :)