PDA

View Full Version : Any good books?

Gin
11-17-2007, 07:14 PM
Hi. Does anyone have some good books to recommend? I rather like mysteries involving cats. I've read all the "Cat Who" books, also Joe Grey mysteries. Thanks, I really appreciate it!

Freedom
11-17-2007, 09:05 PM
Rita Mae Brown writes 3 mystery series.

One is the Mrs. Murphy series; these are terrific! ALl the animals talk to each other, and what they think about us humans is pretty fun. Mrs. Murphy usually solves the case and spends time trying to get her human to understand what happened.

Another is the Sister Jane Foxhunting series. Again the animals all talk; well, these aren't exactly cat mysteries, usually the OTHER animals solve things as Golly(the cat) is too busy chasing things. Read in order, same as for above, for the proper character development.

Third is a series Rita "co-writes" with her cat, Sneaky Pie Brown. The main character is helped by her 2 cats and her dog Tucker in solving the mysteries. Also a series, so best read in order written.

I also enjoy the Midnight Louie series. Midnight Louie is a black cat who not only has to solve the mystery but usually has to keep his human out of trouble along the way.

Here, this web site gives you these series and many others:

http://faculty.law.lsu.edu/ccorcos/lawhum/catmysterywebpages.htm#BOOKS%20FEATURING%20CAT%20D ETECTIVES

When you finish all those, get back to me and we can start on the dog detectives! ;)

(Actually, I've not seen that site before and will have to start in on them. I've read The cat Who series as well. I am a library regular, every other Tuesday, have been for YEARS.) Yes, I've read a few dog detective series as well!

karlyb
11-18-2007, 12:15 AM
When I was at Barnes & Noble this week, I found a cat series for teenagers and bought the first two books for my niece for Christmas. I plan to read them myself before I give them to her! It is the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. The cats talk to each other and have descriptive names such as Dappletail, Whitestorm, Stumpytail, and Nightpelt.

The blurb on the back reads "For generations four Clans of wild cats have shared the forest according to the laws laid down by their warrior ancestors. But the ThunderClan cats are in grave danger and the sinister ShadowClan grows stronger every day. Noble warriors are dying - and some deaths are more mysterious than others. In the midst of this turmoil appears an ordinary house cat named Rusty...who may turn out to be the bravest warrior of them all."

Karly

Freedom
11-18-2007, 08:39 AM
Oooh, sounds great! I'll check into those as well, thanks!

Randi
11-18-2007, 09:25 AM
Ahh, more authors - great! I'll go look for them. :)

gini
11-18-2007, 11:37 AM
The Rita Mae Brown - Sneaky Pie series is soooo good. But do read them in order.

And thank you to others for such good suggestions.

Cincy'sMom
11-18-2007, 12:30 PM
I've not read any of her cat Mysteries, but Susan Conant has at least two series. I've read all of her dog lovers mysteries in which the main character has 2 malamutes. She also has a series of cat mysteries.

Freedom
11-21-2007, 05:34 PM
I really enjoy her dog mystery series. I know the geographic setting so it seems so REAL sometimes, he he.

Marigold2
11-21-2007, 08:48 PM
Anne Perry is excellent and so is James Harriet, Steven King, Dean Koontz. Dreamcatcher by King is scary and funny.

critters
11-22-2007, 06:36 AM
They're not cat books, but Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum number books are a hoot!! The first one, "One for the Money," is notably rougher than the later ones. They're best described as "funny and sexy." :D

caffeitina
12-11-2007, 04:27 PM
They're not cat books, but Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum number books are a hoot!! The first one, "One for the Money," is notably rougher than the later ones. They're best described as "funny and sexy." :D

I absolutely love the Stephanie Plum books! They're hilarious. The author has some other bookss (not in the Plum series) that are good too, but not nearly as funny. I'm still on the wait list at the library to read #13, but I've got to wonder....is Stephanie ever going to decide between Joe and Ranger?

mruffruff
12-12-2007, 08:29 AM
:D Why should she? This way she can have her "cake" ----well, you know what I mean!

Sue Grafton is fun to read too. "A is for" , etc.

Cincy'sMom
12-12-2007, 02:54 PM
I I'm still on the wait list at the library to read #13, but I've got to wonder....is Stephanie ever going to decide between Joe and Ranger?

If you PM me your address, I'll send you my copy.

CountryWolf07
12-12-2007, 03:03 PM
Nicholas Sparks is a wonderful artist.. =)

Scooter's Mom
12-12-2007, 08:28 PM
And to add to the Janet Evanovich fan club... I love Stephanie Plum!

In the "between the numbers" books, a new one comes out Jan 8th. It's called Plum Lucky and has Diesel in it just like the others "Visions of Sugar Plums" and "Plum Lovin".

Can't wait!!

eta: I hope some day she picks Joe!

Catty1
12-12-2007, 08:37 PM
The Dirt on Clean
An Unsanitized History
Written by Katherine Ashenburg
http://www.randomhouse.ca/catalog/authphoto_110/915_ashenburg_katherine.gif
Format: Hardcover, 368 pages
Publisher: Knopf Canada
ISBN: 978-0-676-97663-2 (0-676-97663-8)

Pub Date: October 12, 2007
Price: $35.00
Buy from Local Store or Online Store.
About this Book

For the first-century Roman, being clean meant a public two-hour soak in baths of various temperatures, a scraping of the body with a miniature rake, and a final application of oil. For the seventeenth-century aristocratic Frenchman, it meant changing his shirt once a day, using perfume to obliterate both his own aroma and everyone else’s, but never immersing himself in – horrors! – water. By the early 1900s, an extraordinary idea took hold in North America – that frequent bathing, perhaps even a daily bath, was advisable. Not since the Roman Empire had people been so clean, and standards became even more extreme as the millennium approached. Now we live in a deodorized world where germophobes shake hands with their elbows and where sales of hand sanitizers, wipes and sprays are skyrocketing.

The apparently routine task of taking up soap and water (or not) is Katherine Ashenburg’s starting point for a unique exploration of Western culture, which yields surprising insights into our notions of privacy, health, individuality, religion and sexuality.

Ashenburg searches for clean and dirty in plague-ridden streets, medieval steam baths, castles and tenements, and in bathrooms of every description. She reveals the bizarre rescriptions of history’s doctors as well as the hygienic peccadilloes of kings, mistresses, monks and ordinary citizens, and guides us through the twists and turns to our own understanding of clean, which is no more rational than the rest. Filled with amusing anecdotes and quotations from the great bathers of history, The Dirt on Clean takes us on a journey that is by turns intriguing, humorous, startling and not always for the squeamish. Ashenburg’s tour of history’s baths and bathrooms reveals much about our changing and most intimate selves – what we desire, what we ignore, what we fear, and a significant part of who we are.
up Back to top | e-mail or print this page
Extras

- The world’s earliest known bathtub, from around 1700 B.C., was found in the Queen’s apartments at the Palace of Knossos on Crete, and is made of painted terra cotta.

- People rarely used soap to wash their bodies until the late 19th century. It was usually made from animal fats and ashes and was too harsh for bodies; the gentler alternative, made with olive oil, was too expensive for most people.

- The Roman imperial baths were so gigantic that a single chamber — the hot room of the Baths of Caracalla — housed 20th-century productions of Aida that included chariots, horses and camels, as well as the cast and audience.

- In Finland, where the sauna is a national institution, when government leaders cannot agree on an issue, they adjourn to the sauna to continue the discussion.

- Medieval Christians proved their holiness by not washing. A monk came upon a hermit in the desert and rejoiced that he “smelt the good odour of that brother from a mile away.”

- Because so much sex went on in the public baths of the middle ages, the term “stew” or “stewhouse,” which originally referred to the moist warmth of the bathhouse, gradually came to mean a house of prostitution.

- 16th century French deodorant: “To cure the goat-like stench of armpits, it is useful to press and rub the skin with a compound of roses.”

- When the Master of a Cambridge college was urged to provide baths for the students in the early 19th century, he responded that there was no need, since “these young men are with us only for eight weeks at a time.”

- In 1931, halitosis was cited as grounds for divorce.

- The accumulated sweat, dirt and oil that a famous athlete or gladiator scraped off himself was sold to their fans in small vials. Roman women reportedly used it as a face cream.

THIS ONE TOO:

Rick Mercer Report: The Book
http://www.randomhouse.ca/images/dyn/cover/?source=9780385665186&trans=resize:100y%3bborder:666:1%3b&height=100&alternate=/images/dyn/cover/no_cover_100.gif&maxwidth=85&format=png
http://www.randomhouse.ca/catalog/authphoto_110/20356_mercer_rick.gif

Written by Rick MercerRick Mercer Author Alert
Category: Humor; Humor - Political
Format: Hardcover, 256 pages
Publisher: Doubleday Canada
ISBN: 978-0-385-66518-6 (0-385-66518-0)

Pub Date: September 25, 2007
Price: $29.95

Buy from Local Store or Online Store.
About this Book

Ladies and gentlemen, girls and boys, prepare yourself for the next big thing in publishing – Rick Mercer Report: The Book.

After a decade-long absence from our book stores, Canada’s preeminent satirist returns with a new collection of rants, writings, and comic encounters with the great and good of politics, showbiz, and literature. (Yes, relive Pierre Berton offering advice on rolling a joint, and Margaret Atwood showing off her hockey skills as a goalie.) Rick, a tremendous writing talent as well as a verbal one, has selected the best of his rants from the first four seasons of RMR, sprinkled in choice moments from his interviews, added a generous helping of other material that has never been broadcast, and arranged the whole into revealing themes and groupings with all-new introductions, reflections, and updates. Who knew that Stephen Harper was quite so preoccupied with gay sex? That Paul Martin could be so forgetful? That politicians could be so sleazy? Well, no doubt most of us did — but it’s wonderful to have it pointed out again by this brilliantly funny and charismatic talent.