PDA

View Full Version : Mum's to be, Mums, Babies, Kid's subforum?

cloverfdx
11-16-2007, 05:32 AM
This has been bought up before but never got discussed ;). Would it be possible to have a Mums/ kids subforum, it is getting hard keeping up with whos expecting, who has new borns etc. Having them all in one area may make things a bit easier.

This reminds me i must share photos of my 'new' nephew (he is 3 months old now).

Just an idea.

cloverfdx
11-17-2007, 10:09 AM
Not a good idea then?

Karen
11-17-2007, 12:08 PM
Well, it seems like it would "segregate" Pet Talk more, and General is where we share all our happy people-type news, and I find it fun to find out baby stuff and see the pictures there, whereas, seeing as I am not a mom, it might be awkward posting in a "moms and kids" forum.

Gina - "sandragonfly" once started a "Kids of Pet Talk" thread - maybe it is time to dig that up and update it?

dukedogsmom
11-18-2007, 07:35 PM
I think a separate area would be great! It wouldn't separate PT. In fact, it would give people more opportunity to post and to have those pics not lost in one huge thread.

Pawsitive Thinking
11-22-2007, 10:23 AM
"Junior or Mini PTers" would be lovely

K9soul
11-24-2007, 08:10 AM
I don't think it's a bad idea at all. I don't think it would segregate either, the same as people without dogs or cats will read/post in cat or dog general. It wouldn't just be for pictures, it'd be a great place for all those 'new mother' questions or moms asking other moms questions about issues with their kids. I think it'd make it easier for people who might have advice to not miss these threads then, as threads in general are buried pretty quickly. Picture threads wouldn't be lost and buried so quickly under birthday announcements and games and general chatter.

I do think that new pregnancy and new birth announcements going in general would still be great even with a "PT kids" subforum.

Just some of my thoughts.

crow_noir
11-27-2007, 05:56 AM
Actually if there were a separate section for parents/children here there probably would be quite a few important/interesting threads that i never would have seen. It's just not a subject i'm generally interested in to put it mildly. Unless a thread in some other section were to point to a thread in that section i would NEVER venture over there. I come to a PET board to talk about PETS. There are plenty of parenting forums out there on the net. I don't mind occasionally reading about the other family members though over in General.

I actually think it is quite sad at some of the threads i could have missed out on if there had been a separate section.

For those that are concerned about loosing track of the children threads, make up a new folder in your Subscriptions. I have separate folders for Dog, Cat, Pet, and Other.

I don't think it's a bad idea at all. I don't think it would segregate either, the same as people without dogs or cats will read/post in cat or dog general. It wouldn't just be for pictures, it'd be a great place for all those 'new mother' questions or moms asking other moms questions about issues with their kids. I think it'd make it easier for people who might have advice to not miss these threads then, as threads in general are buried pretty quickly. Picture threads wouldn't be lost and buried so quickly under birthday announcements and games and general chatter.

I do think that new pregnancy and new birth announcements going in general would still be great even with a "PT kids" subforum.

Just some of my thoughts.

K9soul
11-27-2007, 08:45 AM
For people who make it to General daily that may be true, but for myself and probably a lot of others, I make it there maybe once or twice a week depending on what's going on and how crazy things are for me. Threads are long buried by then usually. Everyone will have a differing opinion. If there were a different section and you just chose not to go there because it was a different section, I guess there's nothing that could be done about that. I doubt it will happen anyway. I just wanted to put my 2 cents in that to me, it was a good idea, with the tremendous amount of new babies and new moms on the board. I'd be like having dog or cat general sections combined in general. And the argument that it's a PET board, to me it's not just a PET board. It's a board for people who have or love pets. There's nothing wrong with having forums like General, the Doghouse etc, that don't specifically have to do with pets.

ETA: Also about there being plenty of parenting forums: That is true, however I can certainly understand why a member of this board would want to ask other members that they are familiar with and know and trust for thoughts and advice.

dukedogsmom
11-27-2007, 10:59 PM
Crow, I have to agree with you and Jess, I also agree with you. That's why I think a separate area would be great. They could still talk to PTers that way but in it's own special area.

crow_noir
11-28-2007, 02:00 AM
Sorry if i came off as if i was completely against the idea, i'm not. I'm much a tad closer to being neutral on the issue.

I actually fully understand where you're coming from on wanting to talk to someone you're already familiar with. That's the part that makes me sympathetic and open to the idea.

My suggestion was for something that could be done currently. I was hoping to help those that are hoping for this addition subsection. :-)

I just had to voice my opinion in that it plausibly has the potential to segregate. (and the reason that i'm opposed. I feel my opposition is just as valid as those for it. So far the majority of opinions posted were for. I felt there should be a counter balance view.)

For people who make it to General daily that may be true, but for myself and probably a lot of others, I make it there maybe once or twice a week depending on what's going on and how crazy things are for me. Threads are long buried by then usually. Everyone will have a differing opinion. If there were a different section and you just chose not to go there because it was a different section, I guess there's nothing that could be done about that. I doubt it will happen anyway. I just wanted to put my 2 cents in that to me, it was a good idea, with the tremendous amount of new babies and new moms on the board. I'd be like having dog or cat general sections combined in general. And the argument that it's a PET board, to me it's not just a PET board. It's a board for people who have or love pets. There's nothing wrong with having forums like General, the Doghouse etc, that don't specifically have to do with pets.

ETA: Also about there being plenty of parenting forums: That is true, however I can certainly understand why a member of this board would want to ask other members that they are familiar with and know and trust for thoughts and advice.

Lady's Human
12-10-2007, 04:14 PM
Having everything in one place would also make it easier for some to avoid the threads, as there is far, far too much information in some of the posts.

Come on guys, they don't have to be that explicit. Show some restraint, and exercise a little judgment when posting. There are some things the whole world does NOT need to know.

Vela
12-11-2007, 03:08 PM
LH, THANK YOU.

Even some of the titles give away more info that some of us want to know, even if we don't open the threads.

kitten645
12-11-2007, 03:27 PM
I was going to say that I agree with Karen. This is after all a PET forum. However, I'm with those not so interested in kids and pregnancies and the details there in. So I wouldn't mind them being seperated. Less to go thru when checking in. :)

dukedogsmom
12-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Having everything in one place would also make it easier for some to avoid the threads, as there is far, far too much information in some of the posts.

Come on guys, they don't have to be that explicit. Show some restraint, and exercise a little judgment when posting. There are some things the whole world does NOT need to know.
Thank you! :D I've been tap dancing around the subject. As people point out here a lot of times, this is a family forum. I, too, have seen more than I care too just from the titles.

cloverfdx
12-12-2007, 06:31 AM
LH thanks for having to guts to say what i was thinking, but was not game enough to post ;).

CathyBogart
01-05-2008, 03:08 PM
LH thanks for having to guts to say what i was thinking, but was not game enough to post ;).

Ditto!

JenBKR
01-05-2008, 06:52 PM
I hope I didn't post too much info in my new baby thread! I have read others that I felt had a bit too much detail, I really tried not to do that :)

Pawsitive Thinking
01-07-2008, 08:28 AM
I hope I didn't post too much info in my new baby thread! I have read others that I felt had a bit too much detail, I really tried not to do that :)

Don't worry Jen - your thread was just about right. We all wanted to know that little Ty had arrived and that you were all safe and well (just thankful you didn't post the video :eek: )

A few more pics would be nice now **hint** **hint**

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-07-2008, 10:01 AM
A few more pics would be nice now **hint** **hint**

May I "ditto" that :D
PICS PICS PICS :)

Pawsitive Thinking
01-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Nice one Jen

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=137908

Personally, I love watching "our" babies progress

tikeyas_mom
02-09-2008, 10:15 PM
Well I personally think it would be a good idea :).. But I am a little Bias :p

momoffuzzyfaces
02-12-2008, 01:22 PM
Thank you! :D I've been tap dancing around the subject. As people point out here a lot of times, this is a family forum. I, too, have seen more than I care too just from the titles.
Me too. Please remember there are some youngsters who visit this site. ;)

Personally, I'd prefer the baby threads to be in a different section. Now I'm sure you all have adorable children, but I don't have any and never will and am more interested in the furry kids at this point in my life. With all my health problems, I have all I can do to keep up with those. :)

Sonia59
02-15-2008, 05:47 AM
Pet Talk is, first of all, a PET forum. So, why making such a specific subcategory? The titles are usually informative enough so that people who are not interested will not read them. And General is a place where we can read about others that we don't know so well. Having a subforum would create a separate group of "friends".

Lady's Human
02-15-2008, 07:34 AM
When this thread was started, many, many of the threads were simply TMI.

Even the titles of the threads were nothing I would want my 6 y/o daughter reading while we're browsing pet talk, never mind the contents of some of the threads.

tikeyas_mom
02-17-2008, 02:22 AM
Even the titles of the threads were nothing I would want my 6 y/o daughter reading while we're browsing pet talk, never mind the contents of some of the threads

I'm a little confused???
What titles are you talking about? Because I haven't seen anything offensive??... :confused:

I think that it would be a good idea because some of us here have been members for such a long time, and we know one-anothers stories (well sumwhat lol).. I just think that out of every forum I belong too, this one I feel I am best known, and I know alot of the members as well..

Its nice to see how some of us are changing and going thro different things/stages in our lives.. And having children is a huge step in alot of people lives.. Yes, our furbabies will always be there, but for alot of us our familys are growing, and we want to share it with the members :)..

Does that make sence at all? lol..

I guess the subjects can just float around the general part of this forum.. I suppose thats fine too.. But either way, I love hearing about other members who have had babies lately, its a completely beutiful topic in my mind...

Its kinda funny how we can talk about dogs/cats/rats etc..having babies, and even show pics of the puppies coming out, but we cant have a conversation about giving birth ourselves??... Just my 2 cents..

(edit) Just wanted to add, not that I would want to see people pushing their kids out haha.. I'm Just trying to make a point of how its okay to talk about it. (just not too too specific... )

Lady's Human
02-17-2008, 02:49 AM
My apologies for being male.

There are many things "the ladies" talk about that men just don't want or need to hear.

Things I don't need to know about include:

Mucus plugs

I know my due date because..............

every body change........

LOH and I have 2 children. To us, it was something to enjoy PRIVATELY!!!!!!!!!!

not share with the entire damned world, most of which doesn't need or want to know.

lizbud
02-17-2008, 04:54 PM
My apologies for being male.

There are many things "the ladies" talk about that men just don't want or need to hear.

Things I don't need to know about include:

Mucus plugs

I know my due date because..............

every body change........

LOH and I have 2 children. To us, it was something to enjoy PRIVATELY!!!!!!!!!!

not share with the entire damned world, most of which doesn't need or want to know.

News Flash. LH, there are some "ladies" that don't care for all the grisly
details either. :p :D

cloverfdx
03-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Still no hope of getting a kids/ babies/ family section?