PDA

View Full Version : Cat's daily routine baffles owner *video added*

ChrisH
11-14-2007, 07:04 AM
A cat is baffling his owner by wandering off at night before expecting to be collected by car every morning at exactly the same time and place.

Sgt Podge, a Norwegian Forest Cat, disappears from his owner's home in Talbot Woods, Bournemouth, every night. The next morning, the 12-year-old cat can always be found in exactly the same place, on a pavement about one and a half miles (2.4km) away.

His owner, Liz Bullard, takes her son to school before collecting Sgt Podge. She said the routine began earlier this year, when Sgt Podge disappeared one day.

Ms Bullard rang the RSPCA and began telephoning her neighbours to see if anyone had seen him. An elderly woman who lived about one and a half miles away called back to say she had found a cat matching Sgt Podge's description. Ms Bullard collected him but within days he vanished again. She rang the elderly woman to find Sgt Podge was back outside her home.

She said a routine has now become established, where each morning she takes her son to school before driving to collect Sgt Podge from the pavement between 0800 and 0815 GMT.

It is thought Sgt Podge walks across Meyrick Park Golf Course every night to reach his destination. Ms Bullard said: "If it's raining he may be in the bush but he comes running if I clap my hands." All she has to do is open the car passenger door from the inside for Sgt Podge to jump in.

Wandering the streets

Ms Bullard also makes the trip at weekends and during school holidays - when her son is having a lie in. She does not know why, after 12 years, Sgt Podge has begun the routine but explained that another woman who lived nearby used to feed him sardines, and that he may be on the look-out for more treats.

"As long as you know where they are you don't mind as a cat owner," Ms Bullard said. "I know where to collect him - as long as he's not wandering the streets."

Back at home, Sgt Podge has breakfast before going to sleep by a warm radiator.

Story from BBC NEWS:
see pictures and a video here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/england/dorset/7092301.stm)

Please do watch the video. Sgt Podge is a rescue as it seems are the other cats she has.

Freedom & AmberLee, and anyone else who couldn't see it, I put the video on PB for you, the first few seconds are bad but after that I think it's watchable.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Micellaneous%202/th_465d6a93.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Micellaneous%202/?action=view&current=465d6a93.flv)

Medusa
11-14-2007, 07:10 AM
What a beautiful, fluffy boy! I don't know if I would have what it takes to let my cat roam like that but apparently he's been doing it for 10 years, so it works for them. Good story, thanx!

Freedom
11-14-2007, 08:44 AM
I can't get the vid to work :confused:

What a great story! I wonder if there is another home which they have adopted a "stray cat," who stays there at night and goes out each morning? Time will tell, if he starts to get "pudgy."

Aren't cats amazing!

Laura's Babies
11-14-2007, 08:45 AM
What a absolutely adoreable story! He looks like he loves to ride in the car... Man! Wish mine did! He is such a handsome boy too.. LOVELY story, thank you for sharing it with it..

catmandu
11-14-2007, 09:43 AM
Thats Truly An Amzing Story And Thats A Rare Cat Who Can Count On A Care Ride Every Day. We Used To Have A Cat George Who Most Days Could Be Found At The Corner Of Our Street Waiting For Us To Come Home.
That Story Brings Back Memories Of George Going With Me To The Small Grocery Story Where I Would Buy Him A Few Slices Of Beef Or Ham. Back Then The Meat Was 85 Cents A Pound Or So, And People Often Would Buy A Quarters Worth For Lunches.
I Was Trained Well Even Then.

AmberLee
11-14-2007, 10:09 AM
I can't get the video to work this morning, either. But it's a fascinating story.

Cats!

Edwina's Secretary
11-14-2007, 12:13 PM
What a fun story. I imagine there is a car that picks him up each evening and ferries him to his other home. A cat that spoiled would never WALK across the golf course.... :D :D

Reminds me of a cat that lived in the villas where we stayed with Barbara and Siegmar in Tuscany.

This cat came by every morning..."Oh! I am so hungry. May I have a small bite of your breakfast? I would be every so grateful. And perhaps you would honor me with a tiny scratch behind my ears?"

And we later learned....the cat then sauntered to the next apartment..."Good morning! I am so hungry. May I have a meager little corner of your breakfast? And just a quick pat of my head?"

And so on and so on....

Randi
11-14-2007, 12:17 PM
What a clever cat and a well trained owner! :D It reminds of the story of the cat who took a busride every day. Also in England.

Killearn Kitties
11-14-2007, 01:20 PM
I love it! :D And he rides home every morning on a heated seat. What a smart boy.

Kalei
11-14-2007, 03:00 PM
Wow what a unique thing to happen. I bet there is someone's house he goes to at night and then he goes back to his original home in the morning. He sure isn't skinny or anything lol.

And he's a very pretty cat. I think this story was really cute!

catmandu
11-14-2007, 05:10 PM
SADLY ITS NOT COMING UP HERE AND SCRAPPY 2S GOT HIS EYES FIXED ON THE PRIZE!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cat%20photos%202/cats1011437.jpg

Killearn Kitties
11-14-2007, 05:29 PM
Oh Scrappy 2 sweetheart - please don't be thinking about hitching a ride anywhere - you have it made right where you are!

lizbud
11-14-2007, 06:57 PM
What a lovely story. :) This kitty sounds like quite a character. :)

AmberLee
11-14-2007, 10:21 PM
Thank you for going the extra mile, Chris, I LOVED the video.

And Sgt. Podge enjoying his heated seat ... delightful!

krazyaboutkatz
11-15-2007, 12:24 AM
What a cute story and he sure is a gorgeous boy.:)

catmandu
11-15-2007, 09:46 AM
Scrappy 2 Wants To Travel To The Kfc And Have Me Bring Him Back But I Told Him Taht Hes Not Living In A Nice Area Like Sgt Podge And There Are Two Very Busy Streets To Cross Across Before He Gets His Chicken!!!!
I Told Him Janice Would Gladly Fill His Order And I Will Pay!!

catnapper
11-15-2007, 09:51 AM
I love that story! Made my heart feel all warm and happy. Glad to see others care and love their cats all around the world.