PDA

View Full Version : If you had gobs of money...........

gini
11-13-2007, 06:30 PM
If you had gobs of money - through inheritance - hard work - or winning the lottery - would you give it away?

Who would you give it to - and how would you do it?

Marigold2
11-13-2007, 06:36 PM
I would open a no kill animal shelter and use money to prosecute the low lives that abuse animals.

I would travel the world and shop, shop, shop.

I would build several homes, one in England and one in Switzerland, one in Australia.

I would give some money to my friends and children but most would go to my new animal shelter.

Catlady711
11-13-2007, 06:56 PM
If I had gobs of money I wouldn't give all of it away, but a big portion of it would go to my church, our local animal shelter, and my mom. The rest of it would probably go into CD's or something (bank CD's not music CD's lol).

kuhio98
11-13-2007, 07:18 PM
I'd put it in a trust or some sort of interest-bearing account and designate iMOM or some other animal resceue place as the beneficiary.

Pam
11-13-2007, 07:59 PM
The rest of it would probably go into CD's or something (bank CD's not music CD's lol).

LOL! That would be a lot of music! :D I would fix my son and daughter and their families for life! I would also fix hubby and myself for life! HA! I would give 1/10 to my church (a tithe). I am assuming you are talking about a limitless amount of money. Wow! What a thought! LOL!

slick
11-13-2007, 08:01 PM
If I had gobs of money I would give some of it away in this order:

To the bank (pay off my mortgage & line of credit)
To my Mom (to pay off what I owe her)
To Visa and American Express (don't need to explain these) :rolleyes:
To VOKRA (Vancouver Orphan Kitten Rescue) - big donation
To VRRA (Vancouver Rabbit Rescue & Advocacy) - big donation
To Hearts on Noses (Pot Belly Pig rescue) - big donation
To BC Cancer Research Centre - big donation
The rest would be invested. With the gobs of interest I'd made, I'd buy a new car and of course travel. ;)

Thanks for the dream. Now I'm back.....

CountryWolf07
11-13-2007, 08:04 PM
Pay off student loans... that's the first thing I would do. :)

ScottieMommy
11-13-2007, 08:34 PM
I know that winning the lotery could be really bad for you. The curse of the lotery.

But if i was to win that much this is what i would do.

Buy a new home, design it to my taste and in the place i want it. Have land so i could have more animals. Possibly in Beverly Hills where i dream to live and or Malibu.

Start a at home foster/rescue for animals not just dogs.

Donate to children hospitals, animal shelters and schools.

Take trips around the world and visit the many places i been dreaming of going.

Life is too short you need to enjoy it :D

binka_nugget
11-13-2007, 08:40 PM
I would pay off my debt, my mom's debt and my s/o's debt first. Then I'd start my business and invest the money so I can continuously donate to rescues.

gini
11-13-2007, 11:13 PM
If I had gobs of money I wouldn't give all of it away, but a big portion of it would go to my church, our local animal shelter, and my mom. The rest of it would probably go into CD's or something (bank CD's not music CD's lol).

This made me laugh - because at first I too, thought you meant music CD's.........and I thought - WOW, what a passion for music.

I never shared what I would do with gobs of money. I would fund my niece's college funds - help my family - and then I would set up a foundation to fund scholarships for needy kids. Education - our whole future lies in people being well educated.

I don't think I would go nuts - but you never know do you? And I probably never will know - HA HA!:D

davidpizzica
11-14-2007, 05:11 AM
This is real for me. Pretty soon I'll be getting a good amount of money from my car accident settlement. With some of it I'll buy a new HD LCD tv set, a laptop, a new stove ( I can finally COOK again!) and the rest to be invested and some put in my bank account.

anna_66
11-14-2007, 07:09 AM
First thing I would do would be to pay off all our debt and our families debt.

I'm not sure exactly what organizations I would donate to, but just off the top of my head would be cancer research, alzheimer's and our local shelters.

After all that I'd make sure we got tickets to every NASCAR race we wanted to go to! We'd be NASCAR groupies:D

pitc9
11-14-2007, 07:30 AM
I would:
*get a divorce
*pay off my debt and my families debt.
*give money to local shelters.
*donate money for sterilization vaccine research for cats and dogs.
*start some type of spay/neuter awareness program in Ashtabula county.
(the county just to my east, where the counties only shelter gets 100 strays a month with only 1% reclaim.) :(
*put money away;invest, stocks, cd, bonds.
*buy a motor home and travel the United States.
*buy a house in the middle of NO where with lots of land.
*Spoil myself and my dogs ROTTEN!!! :D

Logan
11-14-2007, 07:38 AM
Good question, Gini!

The first thing I could do is get Citibank out of my life!!! :p

Then, I would call my husband and tell him to quit his job and get his application in to go back to school to earn a degree that he really wants.

I would put aside enough money to get all 3 of our kids through college.

If I had enough left over, I would pay down the debt at our church or pay it off completely.

I would provide sizable donations to the rescue organizations that I am affiliated with and help build a place for our Golden Retriever rescue to be able to care for rescues in a much grander fashion.

The rest would be put away for a rainy day. :) And I had to add......I could foresee many trips to meet my cyber friends, all over the world!!!! :D That would be a dream come true for me.

Its nice to dream.

moosmom
11-14-2007, 09:17 AM
Pay off anyone I owe money to
Pay off all my bills
Buy my daughter a house of her own and full-time chauffeur at her disposal (along with a limo) cuz she can't drive
Buy myself a huge Winnebago like Deb and Terry's.
Toss all the critters in the Winnebago and travel the country.
Buy a huge 3 level house with lots of windows to live in when we come back from our travels.
Buy the land behind Deb's (President of Catales) house and build a sanctuary for all homeless animals.

*blinks eyes* Well!! Good morning, y'all!!!!

Kalei
11-14-2007, 09:18 AM
I will answer this question with honesty lol. I wouldn't give it all away. First since I still live with my parents and am 20. I would get myself some land and a house. Then I would probably build an animal shelter big enough to hold many animals. And the animals that were taking forever to get homes, would still live there and I would put the rest of the money in the bank to be able to pay and keep the animals that don't have homes yet.

Also I would pay off the rest of my parents bills:)

kittycats_delight
11-14-2007, 09:41 AM
With all honesty I would not give it all away or even give most away. I would however get my mom a house and pay off all her debt and give her enough money to live very comfortably for the rest of her life.

Then I would spend 6 months at the moholoholo animal rehabilatation centre in south africa. HERE (http://www.moholoholo.co.za/index.asp?pgid=5) Donating all they needed for those entire 6 months plus an additional 6 months after I left.

While I was gone I would have a crew construct a home for me here in Italy on a huge piece of land. They would also construct a huge private shelter. (all the shelters here are government and are in bad condition) I would also donate everything needed to the shelters here in Italy. I would personally travel to each of them and make sure they received everything they need.

I would also build a home in Canada (where I am from, Newfoundland specifically) and a large no kill shelter there as there is now only one in the entire province which is quite small).

Hubby has alway wanted to travel the Thelon so we would do that too.

We of course are talking huge huge money here as you can see I could kill it pretty easily. :p

And there is a ton more I would do too but more like everyday things. Spoil my kitties rotten. Lots of books, nice antique furnishings, shoes shoes and more shoes. Travel to everywhere I have ever wanted to see ETC....you get the picture. :p

Michelle

Cincy'sMom
11-14-2007, 10:00 AM
I'd go racing!

Whisk_Luva
11-14-2007, 10:21 AM
Wow... good thread idea...

Well these are the things I would spend it on:

I would give some to my sister (mentally handicapped-angelman syndrome) and her home...

Give some to my sponsored child in Africa and go and visit her

Give some to the charity 'SOS children' (the charity I sponsor a child through)

Give some to an animal charity...

And save a load for a house, a car, universty etc ;)

Husky_mom
11-14-2007, 11:28 AM
wow tough one...... because for ne money can make you blind.... and for two we can think we can do a lot but then again we outrun out of it soon...

so as some said mainly will go to an investment plan so it can continiously replenish itself in order to do more thing with it...

then I would get a big land for a big house with lotsa space for my zillion dream animals....

I would pay off everything I/hubby/parents owe and get everyone settled for life....(including school for kids, home, etc)

travel places I would´ve other way never went unless work my life off to go to just one place....

and of course in this big land I want make some sort of sanctuary for animals...

I might also do some charities as I feel like when the right time

with the interest of the investment I would have the funds to continue doing this for as long as I live.... any other "dreams" like having this or that may be on the way, but the primary things is to pay off debt, have a larger house so I can have my animals, settle family for like and make this a continious flow to continue and do more good deeds along the way......

momoffuzzyfaces
11-14-2007, 12:46 PM
After taxes, I'd give half of it to my brother. He has done so much for me, I can never repay him!!! I'd give some to the Feed the Children's Abandon baby center. I would buy myself a good used car. The rest I would hang onto until I decided what to do with it. :D

carole
11-14-2007, 01:41 PM
No i wouldn't give it away, i would see to it that my family came first and make sure everyone was living a comfortable life,Then my friends, i then would use the rest to do good things for people and animals, opening a special cattery for unwanted cats would be my first on the list, i certainly would use my money to help others in need absolutely.

I forgot to add i would open my dream cafe, one that sells only low fat food, delicious of course.

smokey the elder
11-14-2007, 02:14 PM
(In no particular order)

Put a bunch in a charitable annuity, so I can get interest and the charity gets the principle on my One Fine Day.

Make an outright gift to my rescue group to put a down payment on a shelter.

Make sure my mom who has Alzheimer's is well cared for.

Update my kitchen, bathroom and basement.

Invest a bunch in alternative energy stocks.

Make a "pilgrimage" to Lambeau Field to see my beloved Packers! :D

sparks19
11-14-2007, 02:37 PM
I would give my parents enough so that they could retire and live very comfortably.

Same with my in laws.

I would give some to my brothers and sister and their families.

I would give some to the animal shelter we got Belle from and help them rebuild their facilities because right now they are terrible and they are really struggling financially.

then A LOT of it would go into an account for Hannah for when she has a family.

and then the rest would be for us to retire and build our dream house etc etc

slick
11-14-2007, 02:52 PM
If I had gobs of money I would give some of it away in this order:

To the bank (pay off my mortgage & line of credit)
To my Mom (to pay off what I owe her)
To Visa and American Express (don't need to explain these) :rolleyes:
To VOKRA (Vancouver Orphan Kitten Rescue) - big donation
To VRRA (Vancouver Rabbit Rescue & Advocacy) - big donation
To Hearts on Noses (Pot Belly Pig rescue) - big donation
To BC Cancer Research Centre - big donation
The rest would be invested. With the gobs of interest I'd made, I'd buy a new car and of course travel. ;)

Thanks for the dream. Now I'm back.....

Reading other responses reminded me of that the real #1 would be.....
Quit my job!!!!:D

critter crazy
11-14-2007, 02:56 PM
Hmmm....a boatload of money??? What would i do???

1. take half and set up a Trust fund for myy Boys.
2. Pay off my home
3. Buy a large piece of Property, and build a new house
4. Put whatever is left into Savings

wolf_Q
11-14-2007, 03:48 PM
The first thing I would do is buy a house with a few acres of land. Preferably somewhere in the mountains, or maybe also cabin in the mountains I could go to at least. I would donate to the local shelters and also start my own siberian husky rescue. Hopefully I'd be able to adopt out most of the dogs and not keep them all, that would be the hard part. ;) I would also set up a photography studio and dark room in the house as well as buy equipment to make silver castings and other artistic supplies...I really don't create art that often anymore, but maybe if I had a studio with a beautiful mountain view I'd be inspired. ;) If after I quit my job I felt like doing some work on the side I'd set up a small grooming salon too.

I would also give some money to friends/family, my parents especially, to get them their dream house. I'd buy my mom a '54 chevy car. I would use it to travel the world and see places I've never been...and of course put money into savings/investments for the future/children if I have them.

cassiesmom
11-14-2007, 03:54 PM
If I had gobs of money ... (Not in any particular order)

pay debts
vacation home of appropriate size (and driving distance) for family and friends
move to a place with covered parking
purchase a car and hire a driver for catmandu so he wouldn't have to contend with public transit anymore
donate it

slleipnir
11-14-2007, 05:00 PM
I'd give a portion of it to my family (mom, dad, brother, sister) after that, I'm not sure! I'd probably buy a house for myself that I can keep my pets in. Right now I can't afford a good enough place for my pets!

*LabLoverKEB*
11-14-2007, 06:33 PM
Wow! Now wouldn't that be nice! :)

I would first donate to an animal shelter
Then, I would donate to a children's hospital
Give a donation to my church
And then save some for me.

Alysser
11-14-2007, 06:48 PM
Buy a house in the country, open a retirement home for abused and old animals, get a few dogs, and retire from being a freshmen in high school(yes I consider that a job!). :p

The_Duck
11-15-2007, 01:37 AM
- Uncle Same will want what's coming to him.

- Then God will be wanting his 10 percent. [Looks like they're gonna be able to afford that new sanctuary sooner than they thought.]

- Then I would most definately be giving my boss the money needed to by the barn we're leasing. And more. [Gotta be getting some more lesson horses sometime. nd it'd be nice to have another instructor or two.]

- Mom and Dad would own the house. Dad would get that truck he's been wanting since I can remembera nd mom would have a nice new car with great gas milage for all the traveling she does. Not to mention that gigantic motor home Dad's been pining for the past couple of years. Oh yeah, the airplane, too.

- My sister's getting that car she's always wanted/needed. She'd be taken care of so there would be no financial worries when God finally shows her where on the mission field she belongs.

- My brother's getting a car, too. And a bunker somewhere so he'll be happy. :P

- I'd like to live on a couple hundred acres in Montana or Wyoming. With a couple barns full of stalls looking for the abused and neglected to fill them. And a big kennel from which I will conduct rescue work.

- And I'm sure I could think of something else if you give me enough time...