PDA

View Full Version : So close, yet SOOOOOOOOO far away...

moosmom
11-13-2007, 04:07 PM
There's a place for me at the right hand of God!! :p

I went to the bank drive-up ATM to check my balance this morning. When I looked at screen, it was asking me if I wanted another transaction. I hadn't even put my card in yet!!

It turns out someone drove off and left their debit card in the machine. I took it out, did MY business and then went into the bank and turned the card in. The receipt showed she had over $1,000 in her account.

I'm friends with the bank President and immediately went to her. She was shocked. I could've EASILY wiped out the entire account. Fortunately, my parents raised me well. There was a $20 bill in the machine as well. Andrea said they'll cut the card up (it's required) and if no one claims the money it'll go into a general ledger account.

I felt great!! I know that if it were MY card, I'd want it returned untouched. This lady was quite lucky because that particular bank is in a bad section of New Haven.

I posted a poll cuz I want to find out what you all think. Be honest now. It's anonymous.

Chilli
11-13-2007, 04:19 PM
I would definately return it if I could. And if I couldn't find out who it belonged to, I would immediately turn it into the bank. Basically, I would do what I would want someone else to do if they found my card.

Infact, a similar thing happened about half a year ago. My mum & I pulled up to the atm while someone was driving away. We noticed he had left his card so we followed him. The poor guy probably thought he was being stalked. (lol) Luckily he turned in at Burger King(less than half a mile from the bank), and we caught him there. Turns out it was an elderly guy who was getting forgetful.. who was also very appreciative of us.
It felt great to see someone so thankful. :)

lizbud
11-13-2007, 04:48 PM
This has happened to me before & I did take it inside to the bank
manager. There was no cash, but the transaction was still open. I'd
never be able to live with myself if I used it myself.

moosmom
11-13-2007, 04:54 PM
I'd never be able to live with myself if I used it myself.

Me either!!!

Karen
11-13-2007, 04:54 PM
I have not experienced that with an ATM card, but twice in the past week, the person ahead of me in a line has left the cash register and left their bag behind. One I was not able to catch in the parking lot - I couldn't find them - but the other woman was starting to drive away and drove right past me, as I yelled "Lady! Hey, Lady!" and waved her bag of stuff. She quickly braked, and said "Oh, thank you! I would have been all the way home before I realized it! Thank you!" and I did go back inside to let the cashier know I had caught her.

Logan
11-13-2007, 05:12 PM
Bank security is pretty good, these days, and had you decided to take the $20 and clean out the bank account, as well as put your ATM card in the machine, afterward, they would have known, pretty quickly, anyway. And they would probably have a lovely picture of you, too, since there are security camera that take pictures of every person who transacts business at ATM machines.

Good for you, Donna. You did the right thing, as I expected you would, before I even read your post.

Logan :)

Laura's Babies
11-13-2007, 05:20 PM
I would turn it in, in a heartbeat. I would HOPE if I left mine, that someone would turn mine in also.

jenluckenbach
11-13-2007, 05:29 PM
This reminds me of somethig that happened to me......

1 block from my house I found lying in the street a driver's license and a credit card....same name. I used the address on the driver's license to mail them annonymously back home. I was actually AFRAID to identify myself as the finder fearing that if harm had come to this man (resulting in his cards being on the ground) that I would have been the PRIME SUSPECT!! :eek:

I would have turned the card in, but I might have kept the $20 in the dispensor :o.

Marigold2
11-13-2007, 06:41 PM
I found a purse with money, cards and everything you can imagine blowing in the wind about 8 years ago. Apperently this woman had put her purse on top of the car and driven away.:eek: I grabbed it all up, all the money,(over $200.00) and all the other itmes and drove it to the police station which was down the street.

Several years later I did the same thing and my daughters school mate brought my purse back. One good deed became two. Karma a wonderful thing.

kitten645
11-13-2007, 09:52 PM
[QUOTE=Chilli] We noticed he had left his car so we followed him. QUOTE]

I HAD to chuckle at myself on this one...I actually thought "Wow...forgot his car? That IS forgetful! :D Took a second to realize my braindead state after a long day..no offense Chilli..

I'd turn it in and maybe keep the $20. I know with my luck, they'd catch me before my back was turned to the machine!

Cinder & Smoke
11-13-2007, 10:22 PM
It turns out someone drove off and left their debit card in the machine.
There was a $20 bill in the machine as well.

The Bank said they'll cut the card up (it's required)
and if no one claims the money,
it'll go into a general ledger account.

WHAT!??? :confused:
:mad:

I can't beleive The Bank couldn't "locate" the Card-Holder IMMEDIATELY;
review the transaction to verify "cash" had been paid out;
and GIVE BACK the $20.00 ...

All without any need for the "owner" to have to "File a Claim"!

"It'll go into a general ledger account ..." is The Bank saying THEY are going to
"put the money into the BANK's pocket!"

I'd be finding a NEW Bank - one with some ethics.

YOU certainly get a Gold Star to wear proudly!
;)

krazyaboutkatz
11-14-2007, 12:05 AM
I would've returned the card and money to the bank because I if this ever happens to me I would hope for the same.:)

BC_MoM
11-14-2007, 01:29 AM
Most definitely would turn it into the bank!

davidpizzica
11-14-2007, 04:52 AM
Donna, as financially challenged as I am I would definitely turn the card and the money to the bank. It's someone else's money and I feel I don't have a right to it.

gemini9961
11-14-2007, 06:51 AM
This happened to me before. I pullled up to the drive-thru ATM and it was beeping (it does that if you leave your card in there) and there was the card sticking out of the little card slot. I took it out did my business and then took the card into the bank. Got a very small thank-you and left. I would want mine returned as well, but given there is not much money in there it wouldn't be worthwhile to steal any of it. :(

anna_66
11-14-2007, 06:58 AM
Did exactly what you did. Karma-do good things and good things happen:)

Kalei
11-14-2007, 09:24 AM
I voted return to the bank. I wouldn't be able to live with myself either if I took someone elses money.

moosmom
11-14-2007, 09:34 AM
The card was from a different bank. I couldn't figure out what they meant by "General Ledger Account" (my first thought too, Phred...another word for the bank's Christmas party fund). I would've tried to at least look the person up in the phone book or something. Oh well. I slept very well last night. :D

carole
11-14-2007, 02:00 PM
No doubt in my mind what i would do, hand it in of course, we have found people left their cards behind at the petrol station, but you have to know the pin to access it, we always hand it in,she was most fortunate you were the person who found it, many would not have been so honest.If i were her i would be treating you to a meal out or something for your good deed.

smokey the elder
11-14-2007, 02:09 PM
I would return it! What I can't believe is people leaving their receipts around. I know they only put the last 4 digits of the number, but still. It's no one's business how much you have in your account.

moosmom
11-14-2007, 06:57 PM
In our store, if it's a debit/credit you don't need a PIN number to purchase things. Just say "charge" and there's no PIN needed. HOWEVER, I always verify the signature.

Lori Jordan
11-14-2007, 10:12 PM
I would return it right away,I know that if i was in the same situation i would want someone to return it...

I see we have some people in here that would keep it and spend the money :rolleyes:

trayi52
11-15-2007, 12:03 AM
Good deal, I would have returned it to the bank too. There just isn't any way I could have kept it for myself.

Willie :)

NoahsMommy
11-16-2007, 04:08 PM
This has happened to me as well and I went directly into the bank with the ATM card after I hit "Cancel" on the screens. I too was raised to do the right thing, I'd never, ever even think of stealing someone else's money.

I've also come upon a car with its car keys sitting in the door's key hole. I took them into the library where the car was parked and they found the owner inside.

What goes around comes around. Even if "no one would know", God does...and so would I.

gini
11-16-2007, 04:34 PM
The same thing has happened to me and I took the card into the branch.

I also called the woman because she was listed in the phone book and left a message that I had found her card and had turned it back into the bank.

I also found a wallet with lots of identification and money in it. I tracked down the owner by phone - he didn't live that far away so I drove it back to him.

I thought he was going to push me right into heaven he was so grateful.
Turned out he was quite elderly and the money was critical for him.

It makes you feel good to do the right thing - but that's not the point - it is THE RIGHT THING TO DO.

Alysser
11-16-2007, 08:01 PM
I would return the card into the bank. I would hope someone would do the same for me. People work hard for their money and they may not have much. I don't think I could live with the guilt either.

K9karen
11-16-2007, 10:51 PM
Good job, Donna! I'd never ever sleep again if I hadn't taken it to the bank. I was hoping the bank would call the customer and return the $20. I know my bank does. Anyway, I can't even count how many times that's happen to me. I always always triple check the ATM machine before I walk away.

I was in the food line at the zoo this summer and looked down and found a man's wallet, open, revealing credit cards and about $300 in cash. The cash was folded with a paper clip (?) so that's how I counted it so I could tell the owner that it was all there. I took it to the security station and the person was on the phone with them when I walked in. They cancelled their cards already and I got on the phone to tell them about the cash so they'd know none was taken when they went back to the zoo to get it. They were so thankful. They wanted me to wait for them to get a reward, but having them so relieved was reward enough. It is a good felling.

slleipnir
11-16-2007, 10:55 PM
I would turn the card in too. I couldn't imagen if that happened to me and someone stole all my money. I'd feel HORRIBLE. I would never do that to someone else!!

jennielynn1970
11-16-2007, 11:25 PM
Once I found a guy's checkbook outside the apartment where I lived in Bethlehem. I took it back to him since he was close by (otherwise I would have mailed it). It was a college kid, and he was thankful that I returned it.

Another time I found someone's credit card, and I turned it in to the bank that had issued it. They actually gave me a traveler's check or whatever it was that was for $10.00 since I turned it in. They didn't have to give me any money for doing it, but it was a nice gesture for the bank to do so.

I remember when I was about 16 ('bout 20 yrs ago) and had been shopping at the mall for Christmas and bought my dad a sweater. I was carrying the bag, but it turned upside down and the sweater fell out. I was so upset, and I went with the receipt back to the store about an hour or so later, and here someone had actually turned it back in. They said they held on to it because they had just remembered selling it and wondered what happened. I was so grateful that the person who found it turned it in instead of keeping it.