PDA

View Full Version : African Grey Parrot

RosaLee
11-13-2007, 02:05 PM
Hi, my aunt is giving my family her 12 year old african grey parrot and i was wondering if anyone here has any advice. He has never been out his cage would it be possible to let him out when we get him and if so how long should we wait once we get him? Is there any books we should read before getting him.

Thanks
Lauren

Argranade
11-13-2007, 02:18 PM
Let him be alone for the first few days to get used to the new home,

If he's never been out of the cage he could be agrssive or have issues.

African greys can BITE very hard when they want to, drawing blood or worse.

You should read about these birds before taking one in, there very needy like little children and can become depressed if not given enough attention, also if he's agressive you'll have to work ALLOT with him to help him get over any issues he may have from being in a cage all the time, maybe you should go viset him first?

RosaLee
11-13-2007, 02:48 PM
he is always going to have attention as my mum only works an hour or so a day. He is friendly as he always comes over when you go and look at him in his cage and he loves to have his head rubbed. Thanks for your advice :)

Chilli
11-13-2007, 03:57 PM
Definately sounds like he has potential. :)

If you want to get him to the point where he behaives well during out time, I reccomend having his wings clipped. If he isn't used to stepping up or staying in one area when outside of his cage, he may get himself into trouble. Parrots are pretty good about that!
Have you owned any birds before? Just wondering if you know the basics(such as no spraying air freshners, hairspray, etc. around birds.. and so on).

Good luck and keep us updated! African Greys sure are a treasure to have.

moosmom
11-13-2007, 04:44 PM
Dr. Goodnow is a walking "Exotic Birds for Dummies"!!!! If anyone will know anything about birds, it's definitely her.

MURDY BIRD, MURDY BIRD Aunt Donna loves you!!!

sweetpatata6
11-13-2007, 07:43 PM
First of all !!!!!!! I've always wanted an African Grey Parrot and hope to get one when I'm out of my parents house and school and have enough time for one because they' need so much attention.

Check out
This (http://www.centralpets.com/animals/birds/parrots/prt789.html) and This (http://www.wiwi.essortment.com/africangraypar_rtze.htm)
Webpage for more info too :)

RosaLee
11-14-2007, 02:40 AM
thanks for all the advice :) although i have never had any birds i did know the basics as i have read books and am doing an animal care course at college