PDA

View Full Version : One of the strangest things I've ever heard

Pam
11-13-2007, 01:41 PM
My co-worker's daughter is looking to adopt a dog. Right now she is going the rescue route (which I am happy to see) and has filled out an application for a lab. There are four other applications on this dog and they want to do a home inspection, etc. Long story short, this girl and her mother don't really know much about dogs at all and I am secretly fearful that this girl is probably going to think the dog is too much work and eventually give it up. I hope I am wrong. I have been giving her lots and lots of advice. All of my co-workers are *dog people* so she will have lots and lots of help with questions if she does get a dog.

Anyway, my co-worker said this morning that the woman in this rescue group told her that actually mutts make better dogs because they get only *the good genes* from the dogs in their ancestry. They have no faulty genes (i.e., that lead to health problems since only the good genes are passed along). I was aghast at this and even more so the fact that my co-worker was ready to believe this. Has anyone ever heard anything so crazy. It also amazed me that anyone in rescue (whom you assume knows about dogs) would make such a statement. Am I the only one who is :confused: here?

lbaker
11-13-2007, 02:06 PM
Pam, I with you. Encouraging people to take in mixed breed rescue dogs is very honorable but that person need not lie to get the point across. I think it's shame she feels she must tell a desperate "untruth" (sounds better than out-and-out LIE). :(

Freedom
11-13-2007, 02:07 PM
He he, I've heard something similar in the past. Perhaps your co worker took things a bit too literally? Or maybe not; maybe that is just exactly what the person said!

The usual comment is along the lines that mixed breeds will live longer and have fewer health issues. Pretty fair assumption.

Not that they are perfect or have none, or never get any of the "bad" genes, he hee.

This was much more common when I was a kid (a million years ago) I don't think I've heard it recently. And part of THAT would be due to all the health certifications and testing which can now be done -- and is done by reputable breeders.

binka_nugget
11-13-2007, 02:09 PM
The idea is that mixed breeds aren't inbred like purebreds would be. However, there's no truth to that as a mixed breed puppy can easily be passed the "bad genes" as a purebred puppy. It all comes down to good, responsible breeding. :)

Glacier
11-13-2007, 02:11 PM
Well, she phrased it wrong and has her genetics messed up, but hybrid vigor is real and fairly well documented. There's more to it than just breeding any two mutts though!

buttercup132
11-13-2007, 02:50 PM
I don't get why a rescue would be promoting mix breeds.:confused:

Ginger's Mom
11-13-2007, 03:33 PM
I, too, was thinking that she misinterpreted what was said. What may have been said is something to the effect of, mixed breeds don't suffer from the effects of over-breeding that are common in many dog store or local breeders (euphenism for backyard breeders) dogs. And Alicea, there are many non-breed specific rescues in this area, and I don't think they were promoting the breeding of mixed breeds but just the encouraging people to not overlook a dog simply because it is not a pure bred.

sasvermont
11-13-2007, 03:51 PM
Breeding often keeps the good and bad genes within the same few pools. Thus, mixed breeds mixes up the pools, having a less concentrated set of genes for each pup. Whatever that means. It is the same theory behind not marrying your cousin (first or second generation)...... Hey, I think you can marry your second cousin? Beats me.

Anywho, I think I am correct on this one....but could be wrong, as always! :eek:

lizbud
11-13-2007, 04:20 PM
I know you can never expect any dog to "get only the good genes"
from a breeding. It is true that mixed breed dogs generally are healthier
and tend to outlive most purebreed dogs.

chocolatepuppy
11-13-2007, 04:22 PM
Anyway, my co-worker said this morning that the woman in this rescue group told her that actually mutts make better dogs because they get only *the good genes* from the dogs in their ancestry. They have no faulty genes (i.e., that lead to health problems since only the good genes are passed along).
I've heard that before. My RB Mandy had SAS, a genetic disease common to Newfies and Goldens. Lacey has had ACL surgery done on both back knees, common to certain breeds. So they won't sell me on that story. :rolleyes:

a little research...

Subvalvular aortic stenosis, also referred to as subaortic stenosis or SAS, is a common heart defect in dogs, especially Newfoundlands, Golden retrievers, Rottweilers, and German Shepherds.

certain breeds of dogs are more susceptible than others to developing a ruptured cruciate ligament. Most commonly, these breeds include the rottweiler and cocker spaniel. The Labrador retriever, German shepherd, mastiff, golden retriever, miniature and toy poodle, Lhasa apso, and bichon frise are likely to suffer from the problem as well.

Pam
11-13-2007, 04:34 PM
I, too, was thinking that she misinterpreted what was said. What may have been said is something to the effect of, mixed breeds don't suffer from the effects of over-breeding that are common in many dog store or local breeders (euphenism for backyard breeders) dogs. And Alicea, there are many non-breed specific rescues in this area, and I don't think they were promoting the breeding of mixed breeds but just the encouraging people to not overlook a dog simply because it is not a pure bred.

Joyce, I am thinking that you are probably on the right track here and I did discuss BYB breeders with her and she had never heard of such a thing. She was familiar with puppy mills though. As I said before, this whole idea of adopting a dog is fairly new to her and her daughter so she probably misunderstood and the woman was probably saying just what you said. I am glad she is rescuing. I, and my other dog-loving co-workers, will try our hardest to provide encouragement to her should she wind up with a dog. We have already been encouraging her to go with crate training rather than just locking the dog up in the kitchen. My SIL years ago locked up her GSD puppy in the kitchen and she chewed all of the corners of her kitchen cabinets! :eek: I gave this as an example why confining a dog to a kitchen often does not work. This girl also works full-time so the housebreaking process would be a slower one. I hope she can find one who is already housebroken. I just don't want her to give up on this dog because of ignorance on her part. I know it is silly, but I am worrying about this dog even before she has it. :rolleyes:

Pam
11-13-2007, 04:40 PM
a little research...

We did talk about dog breeds and common faults in some particular breeds. The main thing that boggled my mind was her thinking that the bad genes just sort of *went away* when there was a mixed breeding and only the good genes survived. What a great thing that would be for the human race too if it was true! LOL!

kimlovescats
11-14-2007, 01:27 AM
That's something I always heard as a child as well. "Mutts make the best pets." I always thought it was my parents' way of getting out of buying an expensive purbred! LOL! Honestly, I don't know any scientific truths either way! I've had both, and love both! :D

cyber-sibes
11-14-2007, 08:16 AM
That's something I always heard as a child as well. "Mutts make the best pets."*
I heard this from my dad decades ago too - but I don't think mutts are any more or less likely to develop a problem than a purebred. It depends on the ethics of whose doing the breeding. Good breeders work hard at trying to eliminate know genetic flaws by carefully documenting breeding. the ones I know are concerned about passing on the best traits of the breed both physically & tempermentally. Breeding is more likely to be random with mutts. The biggest culprit are bybs who inbreed & overbreed, & breed dog with known problems.

*I also heard that cats would smother babies & kill them :rolleyes: . I put them both in the "old wives tales" category.

Twisterdog
11-14-2007, 11:04 AM
Well, she phrased it wrong and has her genetics messed up, but hybrid vigor is real and fairly well documented. There's more to it than just breeding any two mutts though!

Agreed.

Perhaps the rescue person got the same impression of your friend that you have, and was trying to find a "nice" way of discouraging her from going through the entire application/home visit process on the lab, only to be turned down in the end. Not the best way to do it, obviously.

dab_20
11-16-2007, 05:42 PM
I have heard this many times. Someone further explained their idea saying that because many purebred dogs are byb bred, and many mutts are accidents, that the mutts will be healthier. I don't agree, it's just what I've heard.

Pam
11-19-2007, 07:34 PM
Well my fears have been put to rest! :) My co-worker's daughter got her new pupster on Saturday afternoon. He is mostly black lab but the rescue felt that he had some shepherd mixed in. His hair on his tail is more like a shepherd's tail and he has some longer hair around his neck. Other than that he looks like a lab. :) He is approximately 3-4 years old, and his name is Andy and they will keep that name. He is everything they ever hoped he would be, and I couldn't be happier for them. :)

He has a sad background. He was found on the streets somewhere in Virginia and was transported to NJ. He had heartworms but has already had the treatment. He is lovable, housebroken and already follows his new hoomans around the house. :) He had his first trip to PetsMart on Sunday. :) He flips on his back for a tummy rub at the drop of a hat. :) I am so happy for everyone all around.

They have bought a crate and when they put him in it at night (in their bedroom) he still cried. They blocked the door with the crate so that he could have the run of the bedroom but, if he chose to, he could still go into the crate without being able to go through the rest of the house. He has spent both nights on the floor beside the bed of his new hoomans. :) No crying at all any more. :) I can't wait to meet this boy. :) He has won me over and I have only seen pretty awful cellphone pictures of him. My co-worker said that he is exactly as his foster mom described. Everyone is so happy and I am feeling a little bit guilty that I had some misgivings. I am now one of many "aunties" at work. I am planning to buy him a *welcome to your forever home* gift tomorrow. :)

Ginger's Mom
11-19-2007, 08:18 PM
Oh yay, another happy rescue story. I am so happy for Andy and your co-worker. Don't forget to take pictures of him (for us ;) ) when you meet him. :)

crow_noir
11-20-2007, 02:36 AM
Oh what wonderful news!!! Thanks for keeping us updated!

chocolatepuppy
11-20-2007, 04:23 AM
It's good to hear things are working out well with your coworker and Andy! :)

Rachel
11-20-2007, 05:45 AM
They have bought a crate and when they put him in it at night (in their bedroom) he still cried. They blocked the door with the crate so that he could have the run of the bedroom but, if he chose to, he could still go into the crate without being able to go through the rest of the house. He has spent both nights on the floor beside the bed of his new hoomans. :) No crying at all any more. :)

Pam, I think all you *dog people* at work have definitely rubbed off on your co-worker. By your description of how they handled the night time situation, it appears that they have what it takes to be excellent guardians. I wonder how long it will take for Andy to inch his way up on the Big Bed. What a happy story this is to start my day. :D :D :D