PDA

View Full Version : Ever Have A Bad Reaction To Flu Shot?

lizbud
11-12-2007, 04:30 PM
I've been getting a flu shot every fall for the last 4 or 5 years & never
did have any reaction really. Maybe a little soreness in the arm, but never
anything else. Just got this years shot last Saturday & everything was fine
until today. Noticed it's red &,swollen around the shot area. It doesn't
hurt at all, but looks awful. Did you ever have any reaction like this?

binka_nugget
11-12-2007, 04:39 PM
I had a nasty reaction in high school. It got really red and swollen and had flu-like symptoms for a few days. It was aweful! :(

sasvermont
11-12-2007, 05:57 PM
I had the annual flu shot just last week and it took my arm four full days to recover. That same reaction was standard for the rest of the folks getting the shot the same day. We thought we were all goofy, but now that you have mentioned it, it isn't such an isolated problem. Maybe it is a strain that our bodies just don't like.

I had such discomfort that I said that I would not get the shot next year. Chicken, I guess. My arm was really, really sore. I had a hard time getting to sleep for three nights! :eek:

critter crazy
11-12-2007, 06:01 PM
Uggghhhhh.....The Army made us get one every year! Now that I am No Longer in the Army, I dont get them anymore, cause they always made me sicker than a dog!!

lizbud
11-12-2007, 06:20 PM
I had the annual flu shot just last week and it took my arm four full days to recover. That same reaction was standard for the rest of the folks getting the shot the same day. We thought we were all goofy, but now that you have mentioned it, it isn't such an isolated problem. Maybe it is a strain that our bodies just don't like.

I had such discomfort that I said that I would not get the shot next year. Chicken, I guess. My arm was really, really sore. I had a hard time getting to sleep for three nights! :eek:

I am so glad to find someone else that had a strange reaction too. The nurse who gave the shot said this years vaccine was developed for a
very bad flu prevalent in Australia this Summer. (their Winter season)

It must have been one heck of a strain of flu. :rolleyes:

sandragonfly
11-12-2007, 10:38 PM
I don't remember having one... glad you found a relief.

K9karen
11-12-2007, 11:28 PM
This year, my arm was only a bit sore, but I do recall I had the same reaction as you in years past. The first time I ever had a flu shot, I got a slight case of the flu, but the doc said it was a coincidence..I probably was going to get it anyway. Never had any other problems. Three years ago, when the vaccine was at a premium, I couldn't get one, 'tho I was my mom's caregiver. I was petrified. Have you had a pneumonia shot?

krazyaboutkatz
11-12-2007, 11:41 PM
When I got this years flu shot, my arm started hurting right after getting the shot and then it was very sore for about 4 hours or so. Luckily this went away. A co-worker said that she didn't feel sore at all.

Several years ago my arm became so sore that I could barely lift it up and use it for several days. I called the advice nurse and she hadn't heard of anyone having this kind of reaction. Later on I learned that my roommate had also had the same kind of reaction. I'd still rather get the flu shot than to risk getting the flu though.

Karen
11-13-2007, 12:10 AM
My arm is often kinda sore the next day - it just feels like a bruise. For me, my doctor commanded very sternly, the last time I was hospitalized for my asthma - which was years ago - that I get a flu shot every year. She even moved my annual exam to within flu shot season, so I wouldn't have to make a seperate trip.

sirrahbed
11-13-2007, 07:23 AM
I have had to get one every year the last decade or so and recall only once where my arm throbbed enough to keep me awake. I was thinking about this post last night Liz and so went reading at the CDC site this morning. I found a statement that says 15-20% of people receiving the shot (killed vaccine) will have some degree of localized symptoms at the injection site. That made me feel less nervous since I am getting my vaccine on Thursday.

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-13-2007, 10:02 AM
My daughter did! The symptons were the same as for the real flu, only better; and she wasn't really sick

Jods
11-13-2007, 11:08 AM
Whenever I get the flu shot it feels like I have been lifting weights for days!! I can't lift my arm up at all for like 3-4 days! I don't get the shot anymore!

Karen
11-13-2007, 11:10 AM
Got my flu shot today, and a Tdap - Tentanus, Diptheria and Pertussis update. Tdap is the left arm, flu is the right, I'll let you know how the arms are tomorrow!

lizbud
11-13-2007, 11:53 AM
Got my flu shot today, and a Tdap - Tentanus, Diptheria and Pertussis update. Tdap is the left arm, flu is the right, I'll let you know how the arms are tomorrow!

Karen, may I ask why you had the Tdap update shot? Does it have
anything to do with your Asthma? I thought people got those in preparation
for a overseas trip.

p.s. I said yesterday, the shot area did not hurt, but this morning I absent
mindedly scratched the spot & it hurt like heck. :eek: It throbbed for 1/2
a hour. :( I know, I'm a big baby. :p

Edwina's Secretary
11-13-2007, 02:43 PM
The first two winters I was here in SoCal I did not get my usual flu shot and was sick with URI most of the winter -- after having gone four years in Chicago without a single cold. So this year I got my shot while it was still restricted to elderly and something else (asthma qualifed me...not elderly ;) )

My arm was a little sore if I thought about it but it is so worth it to me!

p.s. You cannot get the flu from a flu shot -- it is NOT a live virus...

smokey the elder
11-13-2007, 02:46 PM
It felt very "hot" going in and bled a bit, but other than that I didn't have any trouble. Some years it's a bit achy. I think it depends a lot on the "shooter"! :p

lizbud
11-13-2007, 04:32 PM
The first two winters I was here in SoCal I did not get my usual flu shot and was sick with URI most of the winter -- after having gone four years in Chicago without a single cold. So this year I got my shot while it was still restricted to elderly and something else (asthma qualifed me...not elderly ;) )

My arm was a little sore if I thought about it but it is so worth it to me!

p.s. You cannot get the flu from a flu shot -- it is NOT a live virus...

Sara, was the vaccine restricted in California this year? This year was
supposed to be one of the first years where the vaccine will be available
to everyone. There is plenty of it, for once. :)

P.s. K9Karen, I've never had a pneumonia shot. I didn't ever feel like it
was necessary.

Edwina's Secretary
11-13-2007, 04:35 PM
Sara, was the vaccine restricted in California this year?

Perhaps it was just my doctor who was conserving his supply?

Karen
11-13-2007, 04:35 PM
Karen, may I ask why you had the Tdap update shot? Does it have
anything to do with your Asthma? I thought people got those in preparation
for a overseas trip.

p.s. I said yesterday, the shot area did not hurt, but this morning I absent
mindedly scratched the spot & it hurt like heck. :eek: It throbbed for 1/2
a hour. :( I know, I'm a big baby. :p

I got the Tdap because my doc said it was time for my tetanus update, and with the resurgence of pertussis - whooping cough - of some college campuses - our area if just rife with colleges and the accompanying students - I might as well get the "whole package." After this shot, I'll only need a tetanus update every ten years.

ChrisH
11-13-2007, 05:41 PM
I've had my shot a few weeks ago and have had no problem whatsoever. Don't know if the vaccine content is different for us Brits though.

K9Karen, I've had a pneumonia shot but it was a number of years ago when I was first diagnosed with COPD. Don't remember it giving me any problem.