PDA

View Full Version : My Sister Rescued 2 Cats that She Can't Keep Not a Good Update Pg. 3

Anikaca77
11-12-2007, 03:42 PM
Well I guess I finally rubbed off on my sister in some way. She has 2 cats of her own I think they are 7 & 8 both girls and sorta grumpy but they like me occasionally.

Anyway getting to these new babies.

About a month or so ago her neighbor moved out over a month ago and left behind their non-fixed cat Gus. He's a super sweetie. I met him a while back while visiting my sister and at that time he wore a collar and I knew he was being taken care of. (my sister feeds 2 other stray cats, 1 little girl who is just so sweet but a little skittish and another boy but he's fixed). Well so Gus was left to fend for himself he was an indoor/outdoor cat but he never spent a winter outside.

Well shortly before Gus's owners left him a little orange kitten started showing up and since my sister was feeding the other strays he knew where to come for food.

The kitten just adores Gus. My sister said everywhere Gus went the kitten followed.

So this past Saturday morning my sister put out food for the cats outside and sure enough this little kitten came up and my sister was able to grab him by the scruff of his neck. She said he was pretty scared but she gave him more food inside and put him upstairs in her spare bedroom. She said all he did was hide behind the bookcase so later that day Gus came around and she took Gus up to the room where the kitten is staying and Gus walked towards
the bookcase and meowed and the kitten came running out and started
to purr like crazy.

So needless to say that these 2 sweeties need a home together. Anyone interested in adopting these 2 sweeties!

Did I mention Gus has beautiful BLUE eyes and he's a lap cat!!

We really want to find a home for these 2 especially one that people don't let their pets outside.

rg_girlca
11-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Oh my gosh, the baby is to die for. So darn ADORABLE!!! Gus is such a handsome boy. It must be so cute to see these two together.

Prayers on the way that you are able to find a home for the both of them.

Freedom
11-12-2007, 04:11 PM
Oh what sweet cats; and a bonded pair by the sounds of it! I pray they can stay together.

catmandu
11-12-2007, 04:40 PM
That Was So Goof Of Your Sister To Get Those Cats In Out Of The Cold Where At Least Now They Will Have A Chance At Finding A Good Home.
We Pray That Somewhere Theres A Kind Hearted Person Whos Looking For A Mature Cat Like Gus And His Devoted Son.
Bless Your Sister For Caring And Helping These Poor Lost Souls.

momcat
11-12-2007, 08:23 PM
Oh wow, they are gorgeous!!!! Thanks and blessings to your sister for caring enough to help. Please let us know what happens?

Medusa
11-13-2007, 05:14 AM
Oh my goodness, they're both so sweet. Saying mega prayers that they can get adopted together.....

Anikaca77
11-13-2007, 07:10 PM
Well my sister said that a nurse she works with will take the cats but she wants them to be fixed and declawed before she gets the cats.

I personally don't see the need to declaw your cats. My sister on the other hand does and so does my brother.

I have 6 cats all have their claws and use scratching posts except one. And well we are still working on her.

I have the cats scheduled to be fixed at the end of this month and I can't see bringing them back to my house all wrapped up and stuff and not being able to stand on their front paws.

My sister got a little mad at me because she knows I don't declaw and said how I told her she should bring the cats into her home but what else was there to do they probably would of died from the cold air.

Melissa

momcat
11-13-2007, 07:52 PM
Please educate your sister about declawing! Maybe she just needs to know what the procedure actually is and what is done to the kitties. Hopefully she won't find a vet who will do it.

Medusa
11-13-2007, 07:59 PM
When I was actively involved in rescue, most of the agencies had potential adopters sign a contract saying that they would not declaw their newly adopted cat. And, unfortunately, this kept many people from adopting. I don't like declawing either but if the alternative is that a cat will be left on the streets to fend for itself, then declawing may be necessary. I know of several people who have had their cats declawed and they all are doing fine. I hope your sister reconsiders, though.

Catty1
11-13-2007, 08:05 PM
Not to overkill, but have a look at the threads below, and decide which to send your sister. If she is a nurse - and her friend is for sure - the description of the surgery should help educate them.

The first link, I believe, has a list of alternatives.

http://www.declawing.com/htmls/declawing.htm

http://www.declawing.com/htmls/outlawed.htm Countries that have outlawed declawing. US and Canada are two of the few holdouts.

http://www.softpaws.com/

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=114830&highlight=declawing

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=122162&highlight=declawing

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=31808 (poll)

Anikaca77
11-14-2007, 08:49 AM
I will have to send her these links, she's mad at me right now I think because I've asked her to take in these two cats. I don't want to keep them at my house if she declaws them. My husband said he won't allow it because he thinks it's very wrong and so do I.

I'll have to wait and see what she says.

Melissa

Anikaca77
11-14-2007, 10:34 AM
My sister sent me this in an e-mail in response to sending her that declawing.com link:

dont' care. this is NOT your cat.

Now she say's the lady only wants to take Gus for right now and I'm going to be posting more ads up on the net so I figured soon I should hear from someone soon I really hope that will take both unless my sister has already told this nurse she can have Gus but there is no way I'm fixing him if she is declawing him too.

This is what my sister said after I told her she should not split Gus and the kitten up especially after what she told this past weekend at how the kitten came running out to see Gus.

the kitten will be fine....it loves fatty too....it
will adjust wherever it goes...it's not the end of the
world....you are a little on the crazy side...

Anikaca77
11-14-2007, 07:59 PM
Well I spoke with my sister tonight and we settled some of our issues.

I think she wants to keep this kitten. As for Gus the nurse she knows from works really wants to adopt him but the husband wants him fixed and declawed first.

I personally disagree and my sister knows that but she's not going to listen to me about it.

I don't know if she is going to keep this kitten but I told her I would be willing to take this kitten in and help adjust it to being loved and after that time she can take the kitten back.

Well I'll let you all know what happens.

Catty1
11-14-2007, 10:07 PM
Are there vets in your area that actually DO declawing??? I hope they would educate the friend and her husband instead.

Aww...I wish they could stay together! I hope they can! Poor Gus!

Anikaca77
11-15-2007, 06:43 AM
I think all the vets around my area do declawing.

The vet I use for shots actually recommended it to my sister at the beginning because she said if you are going to have kids, cats can live 20 years and you don't want them clawing at your kids.

I thought that was just silly and I'm against it but sadly I can't change the way she is thinking.

My sister said this lady really wants Gus and my sister is trying to work with kitten so that way he will be more friendly and I'm going to try to go to her house this weekend and work with her and this kitten (she is having a huge relationship problem).

I'll also get tons of pictures of course!

Melissa

Are there vets in your area that actually DO declawing??? I hope they would educate the friend and her husband instead.

Aww...I wish they could stay together! I hope they can! Poor Gus!

jennielynn1970
11-15-2007, 01:37 PM
Well, if your sister is adamant on declawing, at least have her look into doing a laser spay and declaw. It might cost a little more, but the recuperative time is supposed to be less. My Sophie had a laser spay at Pleasant Valley Animal Hospital, which also took a low fee spay/neuter coupon, and the laser part was only an additional $50.00.

Honestly, if she's dead set on declawing, maybe she can have the vet declaw her at the same time... that way they can experience the sensation together. :p ;)

Anikaca77
11-15-2007, 02:07 PM
Now Jenn we have to be nice :)

No I feel the same way and I will tell her about the laser way too.

I never heard of that before.

Thanks,
Melissa

Well, if your sister is adamant on declawing, at least have her look into doing a laser spay and declaw. It might cost a little more, but the recuperative time is supposed to be less. My Sophie had a laser spay at Pleasant Valley Animal Hospital, which also took a low fee spay/neuter coupon, and the laser part was only an additional $50.00.

Honestly, if she's dead set on declawing, maybe she can have the vet declaw her at the same time... that way they can experience the sensation together. :p ;)

jennielynn1970
11-15-2007, 02:13 PM
Have her try this link for a certificate. This is the one I used to take Sophie to.
http://www.friendsofanimals.org/programs/spay-neuter/index.html

Medusa
11-15-2007, 02:39 PM
They're also doing laser declawing now, too, then gluing instead of stitching. If she insists on declawing, this may be the way to go. I don't know; I've never had any of my cats declawed but this sounds preferable to the old way.

carole
11-15-2007, 04:07 PM
Well it looks like no matter how hard you try and educate your sister about this barbaric procedure she will go ahead anyhow, at least you tried, if i were you i would get some petitions going and get it outlawed in your state, here in NZ it s against the law, would be lovely to see it happen in the states too,poor kitty, still at least they have homes, i guess that is better than being on the streets eh.

Catty1
11-15-2007, 09:01 PM
Actually - could they not get a couple of catnip cardboard scratching posts - they aren't too expensive - and see if the kitty uses them?

She might not NEED to be declawed...not all cats scratch furniture.

I put one of mine behind a living room chair...my mom decided to move it when she was over one time...and the chair corner got scratched. So - the scratching pad went back behind the chair!

This way, kitty gets a chance to at least be trained a bit - and if that still doesn't work, they can see about the declawing.

But - maybe see if it's needed....

Anikaca77
11-17-2007, 06:02 AM
Well I know my sister said if she kept the orange and white kitten she would have him declawed because her other cats are.

As for Gus the owner won't take him unless he is fixed and declawed. I have tried to talk with her about it and due to her personal issues I was not able to visit her this weekend and meet Gus and the orange kitten but hopefully in the next two to three weeks i will be able to..but we'll see.

Actually - could they not get a couple of catnip cardboard scratching posts - they aren't too expensive - and see if the kitty uses them?

She might not NEED to be declawed...not all cats scratch furniture.

I put one of mine behind a living room chair...my mom decided to move it when she was over one time...and the chair corner got scratched. So - the scratching pad went back behind the chair!

This way, kitty gets a chance to at least be trained a bit - and if that still doesn't work, they can see about the declawing.

But - maybe see if it's needed....

Anikaca77
11-27-2007, 11:07 AM
Well I spoke with my sister, I think she wants to keep the kitten which would be good but I still disagree with her on declawing cats.

I feel that maybe I should take Gus and find him a home around her so that he doesn't get declawed the only thing is that women really wants him.

My sister wants me to help get Gus fixed and the women won't take him till he is fixed and declawed.

I just don't know what to do.

Medusa
11-27-2007, 11:57 AM
I would leave both of them out of the picture totally and find someone else to adopt the kitty. There are plenty of people out there who will take responsibility for altering a cat and who won't declaw; you just have to search a little harder. I'd get busy w/the search because people favor kittens over full grown cats, unfortunately. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Emeraldgreen
11-27-2007, 12:35 PM
Wow, this is really a tough one! On one hand it seems so wonderful to get these guys out of the cold but on the other hand it is so devastating to think of them being intentionally injured by declawing. Especially for Gus who is an adult (not sure how old he is?) and to go for however many years living with his feet intact and being able to defend himself and feel complete to then have them painfully altered like that may change his personality too. He might become depressed or angry and then he might not be the cat that the nurse fell in love with in the first place.
You mentioned that you didn't want to keep the cats at your house because your husband won't allow it because declawing is wrong. I think it's so awesome that he is considering the effects that it will have on these cats. It seems clear that he has a soft spot for cats (obviously, by the number of cats you already have :) , I have a hubby like that too thank God). Is there any way possible that your husband would allow you to adopt Mr. Gus so he could keep his claws? Then you could look on Petfinder to find an already declawed cat for the nurse, Lord knows there are so many of these poor defenseless creatures out there that have already been maimed and have ended up in shelters.
That way Gus gets a home, some other already declawed cat gets a home, and the nurse is happy.
It seems like your sister is not going to change her mind on declawing the orange and white kitten. There are some good options out there like Catty1 suggested (SoftPaws) but if she is going to go ahead with the declaw surgery, at least this guy is of a younger age and won't be 'AS' traumatized as Gus would certainly be. And, it sounds like the kitten is finding a friend in your sisters other cat Fatty which is comforting. And maybe the kitten and Gus could visit once in awhile if Gus lived with you and the kitten lived with your sister?
Please don't let this happen to Gus Anikka77. I know it's such a heavy burden and your plate is already so full but there must be another way. :(

Here are some kitties in the PA area that have already been declawed. There were dozens more but I just wanted to post a few.

this one even looks a bit like Gus (http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=9756956)

A snow white princess (http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=9760736)

already declawed cat up for adoption (http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=8513271)

Another declawed cat (young) (http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=9677215)

Another (http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=9128942)

up for adoption (http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=9129009)

declawed black beauty (http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=9737303)

Anikaca77
11-27-2007, 01:23 PM
Thank you very much for the links, I will send them to my sister.

I did have someone today inquire about the orange kitten, she does have kids so I recommended Gus since he has been around kids before and has handled that pretty well.

I don't want Gus to be declawed but my sister is not listening to me since she had her 2 girls done and my brother had his 2 cats done.

We are not sure yet how old Gus really is but my sister thinks he's pretty young still.

The nurse has not yet met Gus, she has only seen a picture of him.

I think my husband is great for not allowing them to come into the house I just have such a small apartment with 6 kitties of my own but I'm going to wait to here from this one women and maybe she will take both.

I did suggest to my sister who never heard of soft paws and she thought that was wrong to glue the nails to the cats but I told her it was a lot better then taking off their tip.

Fatty is actually an outdoor cat, so the orange kitten hasn't seen him since he was outside.

My sister has two female cats so I'm hoping they would adopt the orange kitten kitten but we'll see.

The only thing is I have to find Gus a home with the 6 cats I have and my one girl cat the oldest has a huge issue with older cats, especially male cats so I'm afraid I would only be able to foster Gus.

I will try to see what I can do. I don't want Gus to be declawed at his age and I do feel it is wrong but sadly my sister and I just don't see eye to eye on this.

Melissa

jennielynn1970
11-27-2007, 01:45 PM
Is there no one who is interested in adopting who won't declaw?? Honestly, if they want to declaw them, I wouldn't give them to the family that insists on declawing, but that's just me. It's a nasty brutal surgery, cutting off the tips of their fingers basically. You can tell your sister that fact, and the fact that she had her previous two done doesn't mean these guys have to be done. That's just ridiculous. Ugh. Wish I had a place for them.

Anikaca77
11-27-2007, 01:53 PM
I'm hoping I will find someone who is interested in taking them. I'm still waiting to hear back from this one women who inquired about the kitten.

Is there no one who is interested in adopting who won't declaw?? Honestly, if they want to declaw them, I wouldn't give them to the family that insists on declawing, but that's just me. It's a nasty brutal surgery, cutting off the tips of their fingers basically. You can tell your sister that fact, and the fact that she had her previous two done doesn't mean these guys have to be done. That's just ridiculous. Ugh. Wish I had a place for them.

Catty1
11-27-2007, 02:30 PM
Maybe if that woman knew what buddies the two are, she might take Gus as well. After all, he is ok with the kitten already! :) And he is ok with kids!

I hope this works out...

Anikaca77
11-28-2007, 07:42 AM
Well I'm still awaiting to hear from this women. As for Gus I spoke with my husband about him last night and he's up for taking him in and trying to find him a home with his claws.

So I just need to speak with my sister about this.

I'll let you all know what she says.

loveallfurryfriends
11-28-2007, 08:12 AM
Your husband is a softie. I am so glad that you guys are going to take Gus ;)

Anikaca77
11-28-2007, 08:47 AM
Well I just hope all goes well and that my sister will allow me to take Gus and this nurse lady finds another cat that is already declawed.

Anikaca77
11-28-2007, 03:43 PM
So this is what my sister has to say so far.

I'm going to call her tonight I'm sure that's not going to be a good conversation.

I just hope I can get Gus before it's too late.

NO!!!!!!!!

YOU ARE CRAZY!!!

I have already found my own vet so stop this stupid
nonsense.

--- "Melissa" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Denise,
>
> I got one reply today from my statecollege ad i have
> up for the kitten kitten but I really recommended to
> her that she take in Gus since he has been around
> kids before.
>
> I'm waiting on her reply first.
>
> So anyway a lady from my pet talk found these cats
> that are already declawed that maybe your nurse lady
> might be interested in?
>
> Just take a look and see if she would like one of
> these and then we could find Gus a home with his
> claws :)
>
>
> this one even looks a bit like Gus
>
> A snow white princess
>
> already declawed cat up for adoption
>
> Another declawed cat (young)
>
> Another
>
> up for adoption
>
> declawed black beauty

Medusa
11-28-2007, 04:43 PM
It appears that it just isn't going to work and time's awastin'. These cats could and should be placed elsewhere. Good luck w/this but I think the window of opportunity is getting smaller w/each day that you hope your sister will come around to your way of thinking. It appears that she won't, so I'd find other homes for them, if I were you.

Anikaca77
11-28-2007, 05:50 PM
Well I just spoke with my sister on the phone. She won't let me have Gus.

I can't save him from being declawed. My sister said he is going to the vets this Tuesday for a check up.

I just don't know now... I want to take Gus and save him from being declawed but I can't now. She won't let me. She said she's giving this cat to this nurse lady.

I'm sorry I let you all down on this. I wish it would of turned out better I guess I should of taken these 2 cats in from the beginning.

melissa

jennielynn1970
11-28-2007, 05:55 PM
Why is she so adamant on declawing??? What is her reasoning behind it other than her other cats having it done?

It's not your fault your sister is being a weenie... let's just hope that Gus will heal quickly and not decide to develop some bad litterbox habits after his declaw (if she wants to meet some that were declawed as adults that ended up with pain in their paws and bad litterbox habits, she can come over to meet a few of my fosters.... :rolleyes: ). Honeybun still holds his paws up every couple minutes, and lord knows how long he's been declawed.

Poor Gus and kitten... we'll hope for the best for them.

Emeraldgreen
11-28-2007, 06:12 PM
Well, there's not much you can do I guess if your sister isn't willing to give him up. You certainly tried and I must say, her responses to you are kind of aggressive and a bit mean. Afterall, you are just trying to help an animal have the best possible life.
I hope that Gus will heal up okay. It seems like cats who are adults who have their claws removed deal with a great deal of discomfort. I know of two declawed cats and the one who was under a year when her claws were removed does fairly well but the one that was 3 or 4 years old at the time walks as if he is walking on glass. It's very hard to watch. But, maybe if he can have the laser surgery with glue instead of sutures, it might help a bit? Not sure. Any chance of catnapping Gus???

Medusa
11-28-2007, 08:10 PM
Any chance of catnapping Gus???
That was going to be my next question. We're not all alike but I can tell ya that if she was my sister, I'd be going there to visit Gus and then I'd poof him. If she's giving him away, Gus isn't really her cat either.

Catty1
11-28-2007, 08:57 PM
Maybe call the vet and explain the situation...any idea who the nurse uses as a vet?

If you found him, and have NOT approved this adoption, I think you have some leverage - and should tell the vets that!

Maybe the local Humane or SPCA can give you a hand as far as whether you need to 'approve' this adoption!

Anikaca77
11-29-2007, 07:10 AM
Catty,

Sadly I didn't find Gus. My sister's neighbor left Gus behind after they moved out.

And so my sister took in Gus.

My sister said Gus is not my cat (which he's not mine I didn't find him or bring him in) but it's not fair.

All I can do is keep bugging my sister till I can get him if I can.

Maybe call the vet and explain the situation...any idea who the nurse uses as a vet?

If you found him, and have NOT approved this adoption, I think you have some leverage - and should tell the vets that!

Maybe the local Humane or SPCA can give you a hand as far as whether you need to 'approve' this adoption!

moosmom
11-29-2007, 07:27 AM
Maybe I'm missing something here, but did anyone think of Soft Paws???

They're like Lee Press On for kitties. It covers their nails so they don't do any damage.

Declawed cats will bite, have litterbox issues and develop arthritis in their paws.

Anikaca77
11-29-2007, 07:43 AM
Moosmom,

Soft paws where mentioned.

My sister thinks that would be worse then declawing. She said she's never going to agree with me on it and then she started bringing up how some people think it's wrong to spay and neuter animals but it's necessary to control the over population of animals as it is.

I wish I could do something. All I can do is just to keep offering.

Melissa

Maybe I'm missing something here, but did anyone think of Soft Paws???

They're like Lee Press On for kitties. It covers their nails so they don't do any damage.

Declawed cats will bite, have litterbox issues and develop arthritis in their paws.

jackie
11-29-2007, 07:56 AM
I am sorry that your sister wont listen to your advice, I hope Gus has a happy long life.

moosmom
11-29-2007, 08:03 AM
Melissa,

I know how difficult it must be for you. Trying to educate someone who has their mind made up is like slamming your hand in a door.

I used to get so angry when people would talk about declawing their pets. While I don't agree with it, and yes, it CAN cause all the things I mentioned above, if they're going to fix them and declaw them, do it all at once and don't make those poor babies go through such agonizing pain twice. That's a sure sign for trouble. I'm not changing my mind about my disgust for declawing. But if it means these two cats will get good homes vs the OTHER option, if you know what I mean, than so be it at this point. I only wish I could take them.

Anikaca77
11-29-2007, 11:39 AM
Well the reasoning behind her for doing her other cats was because the vet I no longer goes to recommended it to my sister. She asked my sister if she was going to have kids someday and cats can live a long time. So claws are probably not a good option then.

Why is she so adamant on declawing??? What is her reasoning behind it other than her other cats having it done?

It's not your fault your sister is being a weenie... let's just hope that Gus will heal quickly and not decide to develop some bad litterbox habits after his declaw (if she wants to meet some that were declawed as adults that ended up with pain in their paws and bad litterbox habits, she can come over to meet a few of my fosters.... :rolleyes: ). Honeybun still holds his paws up every couple minutes, and lord knows how long he's been declawed.

Poor Gus and kitten... we'll hope for the best for them.

Emeraldgreen
11-29-2007, 12:28 PM
Wow, that is really disturbing that a vet is recommending this surgery. I know that some vets will consider it if a client is requesting it and many will not do the surgery at all but to actually be the one suggesting the surgery to clients and for such a ridiculous reason is unbelievable. People have been living along side cats for a long, long time and their safety shouldn't be compromised if they are not mistreating the cat. Normal, healthy cats don't just claw people without reason and if they do, there would probably be some underlying cause that needs to be looked at.
I'm so shocked that a vet is suggesting this surgery and I wonder how many families he is suggesting this to and how many cats are going through this procedure at his clinic for what can only be motivated by financial gain for this guy as there is no other practical reason. Maybe the Veterinary Medical Association should know about him and his hospital.

Anikaca77
11-29-2007, 01:42 PM
Actually he is a She. She is a country vet who is the cheapest in town.

I don't go to her after my one cat died of a tumor. So I don't trust her.

Wow, that is really disturbing that a vet is recommending this surgery. I know that some vets will consider it if a client is requesting it and many will not do the surgery at all but to actually be the one suggesting the surgery to clients and for such a ridiculous reason is unbelievable. People have been living along side cats for a long, long time and their safety shouldn't be compromised if they are not mistreating the cat. Normal, healthy cats don't just claw people without reason and if they do, there would probably be some underlying cause that needs to be looked at.
I'm so shocked that a vet is suggesting this surgery and I wonder how many families he is suggesting this to and how many cats are going through this procedure at his clinic for what can only be motivated by financial gain for this guy as there is no other practical reason. Maybe the Veterinary Medical Association should know about him and his hospital.

Catty1
11-29-2007, 08:39 PM
Well - at least you could write a short letter to the paper, stating the facts about declawing; that it's outlawed in Europe, and you would never ask that of your vet. AND that you are astounded at the number of vets in the area that do this, no questions asked.

NO worries on that letter - if the vets really care that much, they can write to the paper too.

Apropos of a thread in Dog House - has this vet ever had any complaints against her? Might be worth checking with the state vet board...might save a few more animals....

hugs!

carole
11-30-2007, 02:24 AM
It is also outlawed in nz as is docking dogs tails and clipping their ears, about time the big US of A followed suit.