PDA

View Full Version : Small dogs, probably pugs, specifically...a question

Cataholic
11-12-2007, 02:26 PM
I was wondering if anyone on here has been sucessful with litterbox training pugs, or other small dogs, I suppose.

I am thinking about getting some puppies, specifically pugs. My fear is that I am not really committed to coming home during the day to let them out, and I do feel that a 10 hour day is too long for MY animals to go without a potty break. I have plenty of litter boxes, and, of course, they would have to share them with my cats. Think pugs, specifically, can be litter trained?

What do you guys think? I can't even BELIEVE I am thinking of this. :o

caseysmom
11-12-2007, 02:46 PM
Probably, bunnies can be trained so why not dogs...sorry I have no info though...how about a doggie door?

Rachel
11-12-2007, 02:57 PM
I know some small dogs are trained to use paper, but I haven't heard about using a litter box. The problem is if you are thinking of getting puppies, you have to be available to train them to use the paper just as you would to get them to go outside. Taking on more than one puppy at a time would be a significant challenge. There are other issues with raising a puppy other than simply providing a place for them to *go* and these issues require considerable supervision. I would strongly suggest a grown dog for someone in your situation.

Cataholic
11-12-2007, 03:16 PM
I can't use a doggy door, as I don't want a kitty door! :D

As for puppies vs. grown dogs, and I am a fan of rescues, I guess my fear is that I can't know for certain how grown dogs will react with my cats, or my son. Yes, I realize there are no true certainties, but, puppies growing up with a child and cats might be a surer bet.

Giselle
11-12-2007, 03:18 PM
I know some small dogs are trained to use paper, but I haven't heard about using a litter box. The problem is if you are thinking of getting puppies, you have to be available to train them to use the paper just as you would to get them to go outside. Taking on more than one puppy at a time would be a significant challenge. There are other issues with raising a puppy other than simply providing a place for them to *go* and these issues require considerable supervision. I would strongly suggest a grown dog for someone in your situation.
Agreed!! Puppies are A LOT of work, especially multiple puppies. To be honest, I really would not dream of taking on more than one puppy at a time. They're called "landsharks" for good reason ;)

Plus, there are a lot of adult pugs up for adoption and most of them are housetrained and, more often than not, are used to living in homes and usually are not as destructive as puppies. But, to answer your question, yes, dogs can be litter trained. We litter trained my Pekingese, but the process of cleaning out the litterbox was more trouble than it was worth so we got rid of it.

ETA: On the contrary, I've been told (and have personally experienced) that a well-evaluated adult is a surer bet than a puppy. Please do consider adopting..

lizbud
11-12-2007, 04:20 PM
No offense,but I don't think you should get "some puppies" at all. If you
won't have time to train them properly or even get to spend time with them,
don't bother.

PupPLuv
11-12-2007, 04:21 PM
I know someone who has a tiny dog that is litter trained. It actually works well for them, because when they're not there during the day, they just block her off in the kitchen and she goes in it. The only problem is, she doesn't like to go in the litterbox if it's not "clean". She'd rather go on the floor if there's something in her box. ((But I doubt this is a common habit...haha!)) Best of luck! :)

wolf_Q
11-12-2007, 05:35 PM
Yes dogs can be litter trained. They make specific boxes and litter just for dogs. I wouldn't allow a puppy to have access to a cats litter box....dogs happen to LOVE to eat cat poop. :rolleyes: You'd just have some ill puppies on your hands if you did that. It does take a lot of work though, dogs are not as easy to train for a litter box as cats. My grandma tried it with her chihuahua but wouldn't put the effort into training him so she gave up. You would have to be home and put in the time to train them to use a litter box just like you would to train them to go outside.

I agree with others that a small puppy, especially more than one, would not be the best idea in this situation. Look into some rescues that use foster homes. If the dog has been fostered around cats and children and has been good with them that would be a fairer bet than a puppy IMO.

jackie
11-12-2007, 05:41 PM
I think 10 hours is too long to be alone for any dog, let alone a puppy. JMO

Cataholic
11-12-2007, 05:51 PM
Hmmmm....so, anyone that works a 'full time' job doesn't qualify as an appropriate home for dogs? Most people I know work a minimum 8 hours a day. That is usally 9 hours on the job. So, allowing for transit, that puts them kind of close to 10 hours a day. They shouldn't own dogs? Is that really what people are suggesting? That is curious.

I do appreciate the comments about dogs vs. puppies. I did recognize that there is a time frame of some amount in that I would have to make trips home during the day. I just don't think I can do that long-term, as in years.

Just things to think about. Thanks for everyone's input!

sasvermont
11-12-2007, 06:21 PM
What can I say? Dogs are much more work than cats. I love both but there is no doubt about it that cats are much more adaptable than dogs. You can leave a cat for hours and hours and they are just fine. Dogs, on the other hand need much more attention - feeding, potty, petting..... and they get sooooo lonely when you are not around. Cats, well, they are, as you already know, much more independent!

How about borrowing a dog for a long weekend? I think that will do it for you!

:eek:

Kfamr
11-12-2007, 06:53 PM
Johanna,
I think you'd be better off with getting an adult dog who is already used to life with cats. Yes, people who work full time jobs are allowed to have dogs. However, I don't think being alone for 10 hours is the right situation for a puppy.

They need to be socialized, potty trained (even if it was in a litter box,) played with, fed 3 times a day, etc. Raising a puppy IS like a full time job. It's almost like raising a child.

Granted, an adult dog may have problems with being left alone too. Many dogs have seperation anxiety that will need to be trained. Of course, doggie daycare, if available, is always an option as well.

caseysmom
11-12-2007, 06:59 PM
You can confine a dog in a pen over linoleum with some paper out potty accidents, I do agree that puppies are sure a handful. My adult rescue is much easier and mellower however she does have issues and a past and I wouldn't trust her with your son to be honest she can growl at children.

Giselle
11-12-2007, 07:09 PM
Like I said, you'd be much better off with a well-evaluated adult. Private rescues spend a lot of time evaluating resource guarding, cat-safeness, friendliness with other dogs, children-safeness, trainability, exercise level, and overall temperament. Private rescues who foster their dogs gain a very intimate relationship with the dog. As an adult, the dog's temperament is stable and solid. A puppy's temperament fluctuates. IMO, you get a potty-trained dog with a solid temperament who desperately needs a home. Adopt :)

People with long work schedules can certainly own dogs, but people with such schedules should probably think twice about puppies.

Ginger's Mom
11-12-2007, 07:09 PM
Hmmmm....so, anyone that works a 'full time' job doesn't qualify as an appropriate home for dogs? Most people I know work a minimum 8 hours a day. That is usally 9 hours on the job. So, allowing for transit, that puts them kind of close to 10 hours a day. They shouldn't own dogs? Is that really what people are suggesting? That is curious.

I do appreciate the comments about dogs vs. puppies. I did recognize that there is a time frame of some amount in that I would have to make trips home during the day. I just don't think I can do that long-term, as in years.

Just things to think about. Thanks for everyone's input!
I am not exactly sure what you meant by the above post. But, I think you got the gist of it. People who work full time jobs that would require them to be out of the house for 10 hours a day, and are not able to have someone go to the house to check on the dog during that 10 hour period should not get a puppy . It may be different with a dog that is house trained in both potty and manners. But it is difficult to train a puppy if you are going to be gone that long and then, naturally, want to have some time with just you and your son when you get home (I know I would want that too). As far as long term, Ginger didn't get run of the house until she was ten months old. So, no if you can make the trip home during the day to do some training, it doesn't have to be a lifetime thing. But it does take time to teach a puppy all of the manners he needs to know to be a happy addition to the household. If you have someone you trust who can check on and work on some issues/manners with the puppy during the day, then I say go for it. If not there are always quite a few adult pugs in need of rescue in my area.

Let me also say, Johanna, that I know exactly how you feel about being told a puppy may not be right for you. I work full-time and have no one else to help with the dog training, and I would be/have been extremely offended at being told I could not provide a good home for a dog. However, now that I have experienced raising a puppy on my own, I think that while I am still working, my next dog will be an older rescue.

Pam
11-12-2007, 07:55 PM
No offense,but I don't think you should get "some puppies) at all. If you
won't have time to train them properly or even get to spend time with them,
don't bother.

Sorry, but I'm with Liz here. Cats are more appropriate for someone in your situation. Also, as WolfQ said, dogs and cats cannot share litter boxes. The first thing my vet told me when I added cats to my 'dog household' was to make sure the dogs never had access to the litterbox for just the reason she mentioned.

caseysmom
11-12-2007, 08:43 PM
Yes my dogs are definetely cat poop eaters, it is disgusting. I think a well evaluated adult dog would be a good option, I swore after I had Bubba I would never own another puppy. He chewed up the bottom of my dining room chairs, 5 of my daughters school books and the list goes on.

shais_mom
11-12-2007, 10:50 PM
1) Let us not forget this is NOT Johanna's first dog. So I think she understands the difference b/n dogs and puppies and cats.
2) I too was a bit :confused: at the 'get some puppies'. But more on the fact does this mean 2-3- or 9? :)
3) I am single. I live alone. I work full time. The shift I work I wasn't able to come home and let out a puppy. Keegan is 6 years old and hasn't had an accident for years. Can a person be single, work full time and raise a puppy? You bet. Does it take maybe a bit longer than being able to be there all the time. Probably. Keegan came to me at 6 weeks old. I didn't have a choice but crate her for 8+ hours while I was working. Should I send her back now?
I just understood that I had to clean the crate. Sometimes there were messes sometimes there weren't. I don't think she has sufferered any setbacks. On the weekends when I work 12 hour shifts, she either goes to my parents or my neighbors come over to let her out.

I have every confidence that Jo will do what is right for her, Jonah and the new dog/dogs/puppy/puppies. Good luck my friend.

WELOVESPUPPIES
11-13-2007, 07:03 AM
Hey, well there are a lot of good points in all these posts but I am sure you know what is best for your household.

Yes small dogs can be potty box trained. Chopper is both box trained and outside trained. He will use his box even when we are home during the day but will go out with me if I take the big dogs out. It is not hard work to train them, just the same as training them to go outside. And it does make it easier on both you and the dog when you have to leave the house for too long of a period.

Dogs cannot use the same boxes as cats, not just because they will eat the poo but because some dogs will eat the litter and this could cause an obstruction. They have dog litter but I find it more expensive then the pads. I use potty pads that I buy at Wal-Mart (32 pads for like $7) and just lay them in the bottom of the dog litter pan, change as necessary and yes they will tend to go next to it if the pads cleanliness does not meet their expectations. I use one to two pads a day (depends on how much outside time we spend). I flush the poos as soon as I see he has gone and I know that once he has piddled on his pad three times he will not - WILL NOT - use it again.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I am sure an older dog can be trained to use a box too, just may take patience because they might not understand at first why you are trying to make them go inside when they know they are suppose to go outside, but dogs are smart and I think given the guidance needed they will get the idea.

Jods
11-13-2007, 09:12 AM
I don't know if soemone suggested this or not but what about puppy pads?? they are specifically for dogs and you just place it on the floor?

Christiansmommy
11-13-2007, 09:48 AM
So yeah, I think your original question was just whether or not puppies or dogs could be litter trained...

So, I think yes, I have heard of it, but have never done it, a Swissie in a litter box would be quite a seen!!, LOL :D

My uncle has to be out of the house on occasion, but is generally home all of the time, but anyway, he uses the puppy pads, so I don't see why a puppy couldn't be littered trained...but an adult dog, I think would be set in their ways as for the litter training...so if litter training is your only option for potty breaks, I would think it would have to be a puppy.

4 Dog Mother
11-13-2007, 06:12 PM
Johanna, I am thinking of another aspect of this you have not mentioned and I suspose that is because I just got the puppy. Puppies like to chew and bite - they do not differentiate between a toy and a person especially a child who would not understand why the "puppy" was biting them. That too takes some time to train out of them.

Personally having adopted 5 older pups and dogs, I would go with an already trained older dog (and it doesn't have to be that old - it could still be a year or so old). None of our dogs were around kids much before we got them but they all do very well with Jasmine and Dominic. All of them can wait 10 hours or more to go potty. Fortunately for them, that doesn't happen on a regular basis - I work only part time for 9-3 and can't get home for lunch so they always (well, until Christy moved in) had at least a 6 1/2 hour wait - of course, sometimes I do not always come straight home. I have been very blessed with the dogs I have chosen and they are always able to wait. Amy and Ralph have the 3 dogs and I am pretty sure they have had a 9-10 hour wait much of the time they have had them. Now Ralph goes in earlier than Amy and then gets home from work earlier so their wait is not quite so long. They give their dogs plenty of attention in the evenings and weekends. It is sometimes like what we have to give our kids - quality time rather than quantity.

But anyway I think it is something you and dogs can handle. It would probably be better to have two dogs so they would have company - even if they are in crates near each other - although I don't believe you have to get them at the same time. You could chose one, get it used to your family and schedule and then add the other later on. We got Taggert and Snoopy about 3 or 4 months apart and they became fast friends - their crates are next to each other.

There are some breeds that seem to have more separation anxiety than others - I would investigate that if you could (although I have Snoopy and he hates it when I am not with him but he still does well). I know dogs need to have human attention but I often wonder how much better off they are sitting in pens in shelters for months waiting for someone to adopt them or being euthanized rather than someone giving them a warm home, food and as much attention that that family can.

Cataholic
11-14-2007, 09:32 AM
WOW! I don't think I WAS offended until after my last post, and reading people's responses. I do thank Staci for recognizing that I actually do have first hand knowledge of dogs, not to overlook the fact I grow up in a household of a breeder. Not somthing I love to confess to, but, surely something that gave me alot of first hand experience with puppies and dogs.

I didn't realize using the phrase 'get some puppies' connoted such a negative thing. What I meant was, "I, Johanna, was thinking of adopting two puppies". I said it in the way that I did as I was really trying to come across as kind of casual, as adopting ANY canine, after what I went through emotionally, physically, financially, with Binx was such a huge step for me.

As for adopting a dog for a weekend, so that I might *really* understand things? Thanks, but, that was kind of a cheap shot.

Again, I do appreciate the people that informed me a cat and a dog cannot share a litterbox. I didn't really think about dog's gross love of cat feces, not the litter problem. And, an older puppy, younger'ish adult would certainly be a consideration.

I was just in the thinking stages, and, will, of course, do what is right for my family, and any pets I adopt in the future. Kind of like I have done for the whole of my adult life. ;)

Lori Jordan
11-14-2007, 09:44 AM
I also have to add my dogs are cat poop eaters too and they have made some messed in the past,But i out smarted them and put a hole in the door so the cats can do there thing,and the dogs cannot get to it lol....

When i first got Maggy and Lacy i was working 12 hour days,But i was on the road and could stop in and let them out anytime,And my husband was never around,At that time he was driving truck.

And they both got used to it,I did not have any problems,It is not fair saying that she cannot have a dog because she works.

I think you will do just fine,Let me know if you do get the pups and how the litter training goes,I have a friend with a small Yorkie,Who goes "Potty" everywhere,that might also benifit her.

Ginger's Mom
11-14-2007, 10:38 AM
Thank you, Johanna, for clearing everything up in your last post. I was really confused by your initial post because I had never thought of you as anything but a responsible pet owner. But your initial post sounded as if you didn't really care to spend time doing what was needed for a pup. I was sure that I was missing something.

Twisterdog
11-14-2007, 10:56 AM
Here is another thought. Obviously I don't know the floorplan of your house, but could you close a couple of doors, and have one area of the house for the cats, so they stay in the house all the time and have their own food and litter boxes? Then, have a separate area of the house for the dogs, with a dog door leading to the yard? You could always close the dog door when you get home and let everyone out together, with supervision.

Pugs are good small dogs, in general, for young children. They are far sturdier than most dogs their size, and generally easy going and happy.

One thing I'd recommend is getting two dogs. Dogs are pack animals, and I do believe that one dog alone all day is not the best situation. Two dogs keep each other company.

In May I got two JRT puppies. Yes, in a way it's more difficult, especially housetraining. Hmmmm .... which one of you made that puddle? But, OTOH, it's easier in a way because they play with each other a lot, thus giving you a break from constantly entertaining and being a chew toy for the puppy. But, I work at home, so I was here for the dreaded house training/chewing months. I honestly would never have attempted a puppy when I worked away from home all day.

Another thing I've learned in my decades of working with dogs is that there is NO truth, absolutely and across the board, to either side of the "best to get a puppy/best to get an adult" debate.

Yes, puppies can be trained the way you want. Provided of course, that you have the patience/time/knowledge/desire to do it properly. For many, many years of my life, I did not. Not at all. That didn't make me a bad dog owner. I was busy, working full time and raising a child. So I got adult, already basically trained dogs.

And one thing everyone who gets a puppy would be wise to remember: Yes, there is a LOT that training/environment/upbringing can do to mold a puppies temperment. However, there is also a LOT of the dog's personality that is hard-wired before birth. Just like with humans, nature vs. nuture. And you are not going to know definitively the personality that little fuzzball puppy is going to have as an adult. Example: My cocker spaniel Lacie was an aloof, independent adult dog. She didn't want to snuggle, didn't want to be held. She would tolerate it, but never thrived on attention or sought it out. I got her at six weeks old and trained her. She never had a bad experience in her life. It was just her innate personality. And it wasn't the innate personality I would have chosen, had I got an adult dog. I loved her, and had her for fifteen years. But her "puppy personality" gave no clues to what her "dog personality" was going to be.

One nice thing about getting an adult dog from a rescue, is that the rescue folks have done a lot of the hard work for you. They have evaluated the temperment, worked on the house training, chewing, etc. They are VERY invested in that dog, and if its not a good match, they are going to be the first to tell you. That is my recommendation for you. Find a good pug rescue, and start working with them. It may take some time, but eventually they will help you find a couple of perfect dogs for you.

shais_mom
11-14-2007, 11:10 AM
Jo - you are welcome. I didn't want you to think I was Bringing up Binx to bring up bad memories. I was just astounded at the people that seemed to forget that this wouldn't be your first dog... Heck, I was a bit put out over it!!!
I think whatever dog you look into it should definately be black and white - to fit in with your color scheme!!! :p ;)

PS
and yes I AM KIDDING!!
so no one needs to think I'm only advocating for black and white dogs.

Cincy'sMom
11-14-2007, 11:26 AM
PS
and yes I AM KIDDING!!
so no one needs to think I'm only advocating for black and white dogs.

But black and white dogs ARE the best. Just ask my 3 :D ;)

shais_mom
11-14-2007, 11:37 AM
But black and white dogs ARE the best. Just ask my 3 :D ;)
very true!!! :D

Cataholic
11-14-2007, 04:40 PM
Are there such things as harlequin pugs? LOL! Do you know how many emails I get that say, "look, these would blend right into your household", and it is always pictures of black and white dogs.

Twister- you stated the VERY reason I was interested in TWO dogs/puppies. For company/companionship. Just like if I adopted some kittens- it would be at least two (as opposed to one. Lord, I realize I am trying to be so careful in my explanations so as to not draw criticism. It is slowing down my typing, frankly, and is ending now.).

My houseplan isn't well suited to anything, sadly. My lack of a extra room that I can close off is what keeps me from fostering cats/kittens. I do have a kitchen, and I could put up a gate, but, the cats eat in there, and I don't want to displace them.

Maybe I will just table this idea until I move into a larger home....who knows.

Shelteez2
11-14-2007, 04:48 PM
Are there such things as harlequin pugs? LOL! Do you know how many emails I get that say, "look, these would blend right into your household", and it is always pictures of black and white dogs.

Black pugs can often have white marks on their chests..... :D

Cataholic
11-14-2007, 04:59 PM
Black pugs can often have white marks on their chests..... :D

Hmmmm...... :D

sasvermont
11-14-2007, 05:27 PM
J,

I am sorry you were offened. I was trying to be helpful. :rolleyes:

Whatever.

S

lizbud
11-14-2007, 07:06 PM
My houseplan isn't well suited to anything, sadly. My lack of a extra room that I can close off is what keeps me from fostering cats/kittens. I do have a kitchen, and I could put up a gate, but, the cats eat in there, and I don't want to displace them.

Maybe I will just table this idea until I move into a larger home....who knows.

Good idea. It's better than plowing ahead with something & regreting that
decision later on. Dogs, like kids, should be non refundable. :D

4MuttsFurever
11-14-2007, 09:15 PM
hi! I know that a lot of dogs can be litter box trained and I bet pugs can too, they can be newspaper trained so why not litter box trained! It might take some extra work but they would catch on after seeing the cats doing it you would think! Puppy pads would work too...they might catch onto that faster than litter boxes. I dont have experience with litter box training dogs though..all my dogs are over 40 pounds!! (Is there a litter box that big?...;))

Uabassoon
11-15-2007, 01:21 AM

I've always pictures you with a border collie. It comes in black and white and it can take you jogging every morning!

Cataholic
11-15-2007, 06:19 AM
I've always pictures you with a border collie. It comes in black and white and it can take you jogging every morning!

Now there is a thought...can it also help me wake up early, put on my shoes, and push me out the door? :) I think BCs need WAY more exercise than I could promise them. But, they could help me keep Jonah in line. He he he..

shais_mom
11-15-2007, 10:49 AM
that's so funny b/c I always did too! :D

Uabassoon
11-15-2007, 10:55 AM
Now there is a thought...can it also help me wake up early, put on my shoes, and push me out the door? :)

I'm sure it could easily do all that and more! :D

Pawsitive Thinking
11-16-2007, 09:33 AM
My fear is that I am not really committed to coming home during the day to let them out

This sentence leapt out at me and immediately made me realise that you would have the dogs best interests at heart - not your own. So many people bring a puppy into the home without really thinking it through (my husband for one!)

flipgirl
11-17-2007, 09:10 PM
I don't know if you should let the dog share the cat's litter box - dogs love to eat cat litter and obviously it wouldn't be good for them!

I've seen a puppy starter kit with a litter box and pine shavings.. you could just use newspaper or those training pads (they get expensive though). The thing is, once your puppy goes in one area, it wont' go there again so you'll probably end up with mess on the floor. Maybe you need to seclude them in an area and put a few pads down.

Is there anyone who could just come in and let them out mid day? It's hard to housetrain a small dog because the area which they consider their den is smaller than a large dog. So if you are considering housebreaking them to go outside, it will be difficult to go from the pads to outside. Better to start them going outside. If you can have someone just to even let them out to pee, then that would help.

I would agree with the others however, in that maybe you should consider an adult pug from a shelter. Some breeders even sell adult pugs when they retire them from breeding.