PDA

View Full Version : Jim is HOME!

jenluckenbach
11-12-2007, 11:39 AM
Jim is at the vet getting un-blocked. :( He was acting totally strange this morning. I KNEW!

Unbelievable, for months I have been trying to get him to NOT pee, and now I have to spend money to help him TO pee. :eek: And believe me, I was honestly thinking of just having him PTS, but I couldn't. He looks at me with those big green eyes ASKING for help. I owe it to him to help him get better.

Poor Jim. I guess I DO love you. :)

krazyaboutkatz
11-12-2007, 11:42 AM
Jen, I'm so sorry to hear this.:( Since he's been eating the prescription food for urinary and crystal problems then maybe it's caused by stress. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way. How old is he?

lvpets2002
11-12-2007, 11:48 AM
:( Awee I am so so sorry to hear of this.. Jim your a wittle fighter.. So hang on & meowmom will get you all better.. Bigg Whisker Kisses, Huggss & Prayers..

Glacier
11-12-2007, 11:48 AM
Poor little guy. Hope he feels better soon.

I have the reverse problem with Pete. Spent a fortune so he could pee and now am reminded that I paid for this every time he pees in the laundry basket! :rolleyes:

jenluckenbach
11-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Jim is 5 1/2 years old. And I too, doubt it is a crystal block. Probably something else.....mucous plug? And possibly caused by stress. :(

And he's been on the new Clomicalm for 7 days now. I sure hope I didn't CAUSE this by trying this medicine. :(

Kalei
11-12-2007, 11:52 AM
Aw poor Jim and poor you with all those vet bills too. I hope Jim gets better. I know when Bobo had a UTI it never seemed to block up at all, he always peed normal thankfully.

Hopefully there is something the vet can give him so that it won't come back again. The vet recommended to me to feed wet food to him everyday and so far Bobo is great now. He gets his wet fancy feast every day. He's probably happy he had that UTI lol:P

Catty1
11-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Well...keep on with the Clomicalm maybe? It might have loosened a plug of stuff that was already stuck in there.

It's so good you are giving him a chance...though I totally understand why you were thinking what you were, given all the chaos in your home lately.

HUGS

rg_girlca
11-12-2007, 12:33 PM
I'm sorry to hear about Jim, Jen. Prayers on the way that he has a full and speedy recovery.

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}

Laura's Babies
11-12-2007, 01:54 PM
Aw Jen, you are having a time! Seems like lately it has been on thing after another.. I hope things get back to normal as soon as possiable...

momcat
11-12-2007, 02:31 PM
Poor Jim! Groucho and I hope he's better very soon, it's so sad when our kitties don't feel well. With a good vet and your TLC, Jim will do just fine. Our prayers are on the way!

catmandu
11-12-2007, 03:40 PM
We Are Sorry To Hear Jen That Jims Not Feeling Well. And Its Always The Cat That You Think Is All Right Who Ends Up Going To The Vets While The Older Cats Cruise Along.
We Are Sending Our Prayers And Best Wishes For Jim , Who We Know Is A Very Special Cat In Your Heart, Jen.

And Some Visitor Angels Will Be With Jim, To Make Him More Comfortable And Let Him Know That Hes Going Home To His Meeowmie Soon.

jenluckenbach
11-12-2007, 05:43 PM
Jim will be staying for a few days with his catheter in. But Iam still awaiting the WHOLE report from the vet. (She had a VERY busy day and said she could not call until late)

jenluckenbach
11-12-2007, 07:34 PM
Jim is doing well (VERY VOCAL, so they tell me. LOL)

He will have the catheter in until Wed morning and come home Wed night.

It was called a protein plug. And an INCH long in the urethra! (think about how big that is for an animal only 12 pounds) :eek:

His pre-blood work was good. I'll be getting the urine results tomorrow or wed.

I guess it is a good thing I know what to look for as far as signs of illness. Thanks for yout thoughts and prayers.

Catty1
11-12-2007, 07:43 PM
an INCH long in the urethra!

OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

Poor Jim! I hope he is feeling better. If he is "VOCAL", I guess that is a good sign? :D

I wonder what causes those plugs, and how to keep them from coming back?

krazyaboutkatz
11-12-2007, 11:26 PM
I'm glad to hear that he's doing well:) but the inch long protein plug sure sounds painful.:( I hope that he'll make a speedy recovery and that he'll continue to remain healthy. Prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Medusa
11-13-2007, 05:07 AM
Glad to hear Jim is doing better. Prayers going out for a total speedy recovery......

orangemm
11-13-2007, 12:54 PM
I'd be "vocal", too, if I had an inch long plug inside me! Poor Jim (and poor YOU); I hope he feels better soon and that you feel better, too.

(hugs)

pitc9
11-13-2007, 04:05 PM
OUCH is right!!
Yikes!!!!

Glad he's on the road to recovery!!

catmandu
11-13-2007, 04:57 PM
My God, That Sounds Painful For A Person, Let Alone A Purrson Lke Jim. The Pet Angels Led By Y.lee Are Trying Trying To Make Jim As Comfortable As Possible And Bringing Him Goodies From South America To Keep His Spirits Up.
And Please Know That Hes In Our Prayers At Night!!
Get Well Soon Jim!!!

jennielynn1970
11-13-2007, 07:22 PM
Awe... poor Jim!

What is a protein plug?? I hope they can tell you what to do to avoid having one form again. Geez... more and more things that cause peeing and not peeing in cats!

jenluckenbach
11-13-2007, 07:37 PM
This is a good article.

http://www.cathealth.com/Blockedcats.htm

A quote from the above article
There are many causes of urethra blockage, but the two most common are stones and plugs. Mucous, crystals, and tiny bits of urinary debris (cells and protein) can aggregate together to form a soft, compressible material that can lodge in the urethra and completely block the flow of urine. This is what plugs are. Stones, as the name implies, are mineral “stones” that are hard, and may or may not be round in shape.

jenluckenbach
11-14-2007, 06:19 PM
I just brought Jim home from the vet. He's got antibiotics and pain mads to take. And the advice I got was to feed more CANNED (urinary) food, which I don't, but will start to.

His little furry butt is messy :o but I guess I'll let him sleep on my pillow tonight as I missed him the last few days. :)

He must be glad to be home, he even head-butted Mr. Meow.

Freedom
11-14-2007, 07:34 PM
He must be glad to be home, he even head-butted Mr. Meow.

Aw, welcom home, Jim! Hope you feel btter quickly. And you KNOW your mom is working to find the right food and meds combo for you!

Maybe wrap a pillowcase around his messy end for the night? I know what you mean about missing them when they aren't "in their spot!" He he.

Hugs for you, Jen! Keep up the good work with Jim, you caught this right away.

momcat
11-14-2007, 07:46 PM
Welcome home Jim! I'm so happy to know that you're right back where you belong. Get better very soon and be sure to give Meowmie plenty of extra snuggles, she missed you so much!!!

G535
11-14-2007, 11:52 PM
I'm glad he's home, some cats find staying at the vet's so stressful. :)

krazyaboutkatz
11-15-2007, 12:07 AM
I'm glad to hear that Jim is now home and I hope he'll continue to do well.:) Even though Storm isn't on his special prescription diet any more, I have to make sure that he still eats plenty of wet food and I also mix water with it to make it into a soupy consistancy. Good luck.:)

dionne
11-15-2007, 01:44 AM
Wow, reading through the posts and then seeing what was said at the end sure makes me glad your baby is ok!! Best of wishes to your kitty and I'm sure he'll recover quickly :)

catnapper
11-15-2007, 06:41 AM
Oh Jen, I completely missed this!!! I'm so glad to hear he's home and doing so well. Did the vet say this plug was what caused all of his peeing lately?

Pouncer was happy to be home too after his surgery.... I haven't seen him that loving since he came home either lol.

catmandu
11-15-2007, 09:40 AM
We Are Gald That Jim Is Home And We Guess Jim Will Have To Have A Kitty Depends On Until Things Are Better.
But Hes Home Where He Feels More Comfortable And That Should Help His Healing Process Quite A Bit. And Jim, Please Cooperate And Eat Your Canned Food That Your Meeowmie Feeds You.
We Love You, Friend Jim And Want You To Be All Better!!

columbine
11-15-2007, 09:49 AM
Prescription food (c/d) cured Smudge's crystals, but then he got plugs instead (although he managed to pass them all, good kitty!) That was about the same time he started refusing petroleum-based anti-hairball treats. Didn't even want Temptations any more! So I wondered if somehow his insides couldn't handle petroleum. I'll never know (it could have been just leftover cells & junk from the damage the crystals had caused) but I did find a petroleum-free anti-hairball treat that he likes (Cat Lube) and he still enjoys them.

Glad you're home, brave little Jim! Now that you can pee comfortably, PLEASE pee in the right place...

Love, Columbine

jenluckenbach
11-15-2007, 02:14 PM
Speaking of peeing in the WRONG places.....:eek: Jim hasn't been home even 24 hours when first thing this morning I woke up to a spray spot on my closet door. But It WASN'T Jim!!! I am fairly certain it was Sterling. I guess Sterling wasn't so happy to see Jim back again. :rolleyes:

I actually think the 2 of them have spraying feuds. One day (several weeks ago) they were caught, one right after the other, peeing at the same area.

But, back to Jim's recovery. he seems so quiet since his return. Not sure if it the result of the whole ordeal, or if it is the new clomicalm medicine. (Which by the way I gave up trying to give to Sterling. I need to find a way to deliver it WITHOUT the cats tasting it!! I am going to try pill pockets -even tho it is not a pill- )

orangemm
11-15-2007, 04:42 PM
Welcome home, Jim! Your meowmie missed you!

Catty1
11-15-2007, 08:54 PM
Jen - my cats didn't like the Omega oil mixed into their wet food...so I have to add some 'stinky' wet food into it! :)

Maybe that might work for Sterling?

krazyaboutkatz
11-16-2007, 12:58 AM
Jen - my cats didn't like the Omega oil mixed into their wet food...so I have to add some 'stinky' wet food into it! :)

Maybe that might work for Sterling?
I tried this with Storm and he refused to take the clomicalm. It must really taste horrible.

Jen, I'm sorry to hear that Sterling has started spraying again:( and I hope that Jim will continue to do well.:)

jenluckenbach
11-16-2007, 05:20 AM
I don't think Jim is feeling too well. All he does is lay. :( I might ask the vet to have a look at him today.

Killearn Kitties
11-16-2007, 07:34 AM
Oh poor Jim. I'm sorry to hear he doesn't seem too good. The girls will not uncross their paws yet.

krazyaboutkatz
11-16-2007, 11:32 AM
Jen, I'm sorry to hear this.:( It might be a reaction the clomicalm. I know that when Storm took it he was very sleepy for the first few days. My vet told me that if this continued, then we would have to decrease the doseage. I sure hope that it's nothing serious. I'll continue to keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

Medusa
11-16-2007, 12:54 PM
It might be a reaction the clomicalm.

Yes, maybe his dosage needs to be adjusted. One of the things I like about Clomicalm is that it calms my cats w/out drugging them, unlike amitryptilene or buspar.

jennielynn1970
11-16-2007, 02:21 PM
Awe... hope Jim is ok. Poor boy.

I've been giving Furbee her clavamox pill dipped in that "ready to eat" cheesecake stuff that is in the coolwhip looking container. She LOVES it!!! Normally she is horrendous to pill, but after trying yoghurt, which didn't cling well enough, I saw that container that I bought and thought, hmmmm... I can share with Furbee!! ;) :D

jenluckenbach
11-16-2007, 03:24 PM
Jen, It might be a reaction the clomicalm.
Actually, this is EXACTLY what I began thinking this morning. So I did not have the vet look at him today. Now that I am home, I am almost possitive this was his biggest problem. I think we will "table" the clomicalm until I am certain he is better from this episode.