PDA

View Full Version : Question about a shelter

JenBKR
11-12-2007, 08:14 AM
My mom is looking into getting a dog, and I went with her to a shelter over the weekend where she had fallen in love with a dog. This dog is a 7 year old toy poodle that came to the shelter from a puppy mill. She was close to adopting this dog, until she found out that he is not housebroken at all. Not only that, he is kept in a crate all the time and is not let outside to go to the bathroom. He just goes in his crate and they clean out the newspapers once a day or so. Is this normal? I have only been to one other shelter, and they let the dogs outside to go to the bathroom. Something about this shelter made me a little nervous, but then again I felt so bad for the dogs there. My mom is still considering this dog because she fell in love with him, but she is afraid that he will be really hard to housebreak or even crate train because he is used to pottying in a crate. That, and the fact that he is originally from a puppy mill, would make me a bit nervous....but then again I know how it is to fall in love with a dog and want THAT dog. I don't know about his health, she would have to have him checked by a vet of course, but I do know that he has lost some teeth. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Freedom
11-12-2007, 08:38 AM
It is quite common for [puppy mill rescues to be used to "going" in their cage / crate. And it is common for them to have few or even no teeth, as the mill owner does not bother with vetting the parents.

Puppy mill rescues CAN become the wonderful dogs they were born to be. Your mom should go into this realizing that it will take a bit of time, but lots of patience, love and a steady routien will bring the dog around.

Puppy mill rescues have never felt grass; have never learned what stairs are; and seldom had a kindly human touch. The whole world is new to them. That can be scary, so it takes some time. Often what helps them is having a socialized dog living in the home already, so they can see behaviour that is acceptable and which does not result in a reprimand. Then they start to copy that behaviour; it looks FUN! They also always need a fenced in yard as they are not keen on sticking around to see what the human will come up with next.

Belly bands are quite common for the male puppy mill rescues; it saves the floor, carpet, furniture and sanity! (The females start out wearing bikinis for the same purpose.)

As for this shelter: do they let the other dogs out? Is it because this one is a puppy mill rescue and they don't have the time/ staffing to work with the dog? Or do all their dogs remain confined?

Will the shelter permit your mom to have the dog checked out by her vet before she actually commits to adopting him? That may be a good first step in this situation. And maybe talk to the vet about the shelter as well, see if there is any "word in the industry" about the place.

Let us know how this works out!

JenBKR
11-12-2007, 09:00 AM
As for this shelter: do they let the other dogs out? Is it because this one is a puppy mill rescue and they don't have the time/ staffing to work with the dog? Or do all their dogs remain confined?

Will the shelter permit your mom to have the dog checked out by her vet before she actually commits to adopting him? That may be a good first step in this situation. And maybe talk to the vet about the shelter as well, see if there is any "word in the industry" about the place.

Let us know how this works out!

About half of the dogs go to the bathroom in their crates, the others have little doggie doors to go outside in a little pen. They said she would have to adopt him and take him to the vet within so many days (I think three) and if she changes her mind she can return him.

One of her concerns with all of this is that I am about to have a baby, and she is planning on coming over the help a lot. Also, when I go back to work 3 days a week, she will be babysitting and she's not sure that she wants to take care of a baby and house train a dog.

Another problem with this is that my father has been against getting a dog for years, but he is finally relenting. I think she's afraid of bringing home an untrained dog and how he would handle that. He has said that he doesn't want to help take care of the dog, although I know that he will love the dog once he gets used to it as he has done this all before and it always ends up the same ;) Still, it is an issue.

animal_rescue
11-12-2007, 09:25 AM
When I worked at the Humane Society new arrival dogs were NOT allowed outside or even out of the kennel for that matter, it was kind of like a quarantine period. They had to stay like this until they got their shots at the HS, and well being that most of the owners gave them up for stupid reasons they usually didn't go to the vet, unless of course we got proof that the dogs were up to date on the shots then they didn't have to stay in quarantine as long as the other dogs.

JenBKR
11-12-2007, 09:31 AM
Would the shelter be getting vet care for the dogs? This dog has been there a little over three years...I am not sure if my mom asked about that.

animal_rescue
11-12-2007, 09:35 AM
Hmm that's different... maybe then they just feel like because he's a small dog it's not necessary for him to go out. Definitely ask about the vet care, if he's been there for 3 years and hasn't had shots yet, then that shelter doesn't sound too good.

JenBKR
11-12-2007, 09:39 AM
Hmm that's different... maybe then they just feel like because he's a small dog it's not necessary for him to go out. Definitely ask about the vet care, if he's been there for 3 years and hasn't had shots yet, then that shelter doesn't sound too good.

I'll tell my mom to call. Something about this shelter just didn't sit right with me, but I can't quite figure out why....

Freedom
11-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Oh the pooor doggie! First a puppy mill and now 3 years in a shelter with no time out of the cage????

Do they have a foster program? Maybe your mom could foster him! Help him along while she sees what he is like.

JenBKR
11-12-2007, 10:11 AM
Oh the pooor doggie! First a puppy mill and now 3 years in a shelter with no time out of the cage????

Do they have a foster program? Maybe your mom could foster him! Help him along while she sees what he is like.

My mom would be a horrible foster mom, she would fail miserably ;) I think it's going to be all or nothing with this dog. She can't seem to make up her mind. I feel so bad for this dog, I hope he finds a home whether it's with my mom or not...

animal_rescue
11-12-2007, 10:15 AM
The only other thing I can think of is if she gets him suggest puppy pads and baby gates? I have to do that with Roxie because she isn't potty trained either. She uses the puppy pads very well BUT will eat them if I stick them in her crate with her.

JenBKR
11-12-2007, 10:24 AM
The only other thing I can think of is if she gets him suggest puppy pads and baby gates? I have to do that with Roxie because she isn't potty trained either. She uses the puppy pads very well BUT will eat them if I stick them in her crate with her.

Puppy pads is a great idea. Do you think that it would be hard to get him to use them, being that he's 7 and never used them before (that we know of?).

I also told my mom to call a trainer and get some ideas, just thought I would ask PT too as I always get good answers here ;) Thanks so much for your help!!

animal_rescue
11-12-2007, 10:29 AM
It might be at first but be consistent, when he has an accident place the poo on top of the puppy pad and leave it there for him to sniff out. As for pee you could probably place the top of the pad on the mess so it will soak into the pad then clean up the mess with whatever you use to clean it and leave the puppy pad for him, hopefully he'll get used to the idea pretty quick.

JenBKR
11-12-2007, 10:37 AM
It might be at first but be consistent, when he has an accident place the poo on top of the puppy pad and leave it there for him to sniff out. As for pee you could probably place the top of the pad on the mess so it will soak into the pad then clean up the mess with whatever you use to clean it and leave the puppy pad for him, hopefully he'll get used to the idea pretty quick.

Good idea - thank you very much!