PDA

View Full Version : Obsessed with human food!

Glacier
11-12-2007, 12:57 AM
Anyone else got a kitty who's obsessed with human food?

I just caught Puff on top of the fridge chowing down on a package of saltines that she had ripped open---supposedly ancient and decrepit and yet she still manages to get on the fridge to get at human food.

There is nothing this cat won't eat. Her favorite thing is pasta in white sauce! She's stolen bacon off my plate; tries to bite the other end of sandwiches as I'm eating them; bats at me incessantly with increasing claw action until I share whatever I'm having with her. I often eat in front of the computer lately cuz this is the only room in the house the cats aren't allowed in!

G535
11-12-2007, 02:18 AM
My Patrick Henry is the same, I can't leave any type of food (cat or human) around where he can get at it. I also have to double check fridge, freezer and cupboards that have food in them before I close the doors. I'm sure he wasn't fed enough in the first eight months of his life. My computer room is also banned for him as he's quite fond of chewing cables, don't know how I'm going to manage in there this summer as it gets up to 40C with the door closed.

The things we put up with for our cats! :)

Barbara
11-12-2007, 02:49 AM
That's Filou, he thinks it is human food that qualifies you to be a human ;)
He las been licking hot sauce out of a wok, eaten cooked and peeled potatoes and even eats mangoes.

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-12-2007, 04:34 AM
That must be my Snoopy!! Never leave any kind of food on the table, or Snoopy snatches it and eats it!!! :eek:

catnapper
11-12-2007, 05:56 AM
Ahhhh, welcome to the world of Pouncer and Flutter! I have to hide certain things from him because he will do anything to get it. Last night I had to get up several times to get him out of the trash.... McDonald's wrappers. Finally I just took the trash outside. Its amazing the noise one cat can make in the trash in the middle of the night! Of course he had a dogand 4 other cats sitting on the sidelines waiting for him to share his prize.

He likes things you'd never consider a cat liking.... the strangest is his obsession with marshmallow peeps. The cat goes nuts for them. Who'd-a-thunk-it? :eek:

Flutter on the other hand is famous for taking entire pieces of chicken off your plate if you're not looking. Pouncer used to do that when he was younger, now he sits back and lets Flutter do his dirty work while they both share in the bounty. :rolleyes:

Medusa
11-12-2007, 06:29 AM
Puddy loves saltines and she goes nuts over pizzelles! Coco Puff smells frozen chicken when I'm taking it out of the freezer and if I don't put it somewhere to thaw where he can't get at it, it's a goner.

columbine
11-12-2007, 08:38 AM
(picks up guitar, puts on cowboy hat with furry ears) plunk plunka plunk plunk, plunk plunka plunk plunk...

I hear that paper crinkle
You thought I was asleep
But I'm here at your ankles
And I'm hopin' for a treat
'Cause I'm purrin' like a Harley
I got this act down pat
'Cause you've been to the deli
And I'm your Deli Cat.

For provolone or turkey
Or anything like those
I'll gladly share my cat food
I'll groom and kiss your toes
But I won't jump on the counter
I know you don't like that
I'm your fluffy little angel
Your lovin' Deli Cat.

Don't matter if it's corned beef
Or mozzarella cheese
You got it at the deli
Can I have a little, please?
Sure it won't fit on your sandwich
That bit is mostly fat
Spare a tiny taste of goodies
'Cause I'm your Deli Cat.

Love, Columbine

catmandu
11-12-2007, 09:44 AM
Thats A Great Poem Columbine , And My Human Food Cat Is Scrappy 2, And To A Certain Extent Michael.
Its Just That Scrappy 2 Was Rather Thun, And I Gave Her Human Food Until She Was Back On Herpaws, And Now I Think She Waitsto See If Im Having Anything Good To Eat Before She Eats Her Cat Food.
She Lllooooooooooooooooooooovvvvvvesss Cheese, And Now Steakums The Most. And With That Sweet Face, How Can I Say No!!!

Freedom
11-12-2007, 10:08 AM
Columbine, that is terrific!

My cats get INTO everything, but they don't necessarily EAT it once they have claimed the prize. :rolleyes:

Kalei
11-12-2007, 10:16 AM
Anyone else got a kitty who's obsessed with human food?

I just caught Puff on top of the fridge chowing down on a package of saltines that she had ripped open---supposedly ancient and decrepit and yet she still manages to get on the fridge to get at human food.

There is nothing this cat won't eat. Her favorite thing is pasta in white sauce! She's stolen bacon off my plate; tries to bite the other end of sandwiches as I'm eating them; bats at me incessantly with increasing claw action until I share whatever I'm having with her. I often eat in front of the computer lately cuz this is the only room in the house the cats aren't allowed in!

lol my Bobo is like that. He will eat and try almost anything. He will come and take kraft dinner out of my bowl, he'll pick fries off my plate or out of my mcdonald's carton. He likes raisens, he'll take his paw and take chips out of the chip bag (doesn't matter what flavour of chip it is). He likes ice cream and cereal. lol he amazes me to no end as to what he will try and like next.

critter crazy
11-12-2007, 10:20 AM
Uggghhhh....My ats are junk food Junkies!!! If they hear a bag of chips open, you better run for cover!!! They love snacks!! Hubby is a huge Snack-o-Holic, he always has some sort of snack at night before bed, and the cats know it!!! They also love bread, If I dont put the bread in the microwave,w hen I am done with it, the cats get it!! We used to have a bread box, but the cats soon learned how to open that! :rolleyes:

Freckles
11-12-2007, 11:03 AM
This thread (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83076)
needs an update because there's no PUFF! :)

krazyaboutkatz
11-12-2007, 11:29 AM
Yes, I have at least 3 little piggies here myself. Ziggy, Sky, and Starr will eat almost anything. Starr is still on pred so he's always hungry and if I was still free feeding I'd hate to see how much weight he'd gain. If I open anything that makes a crinkling or crackling noise they think it's a treat for them.

Glacier
11-12-2007, 11:32 AM
LOL, columbine what a great song! I'm saving that post!

Puff was an elderly man's companion before he went to a nursing home. I suspect he shared his meals with her. If she had her way, she's sit on the table and pull food right off the plate. She eats cat food if she has to, but she'd quite happily never touch it again!

momcat
11-12-2007, 03:02 PM
What a great thread and dynamite song from Columbine!!! Groucho supervises cooking around here, insists on checking everything but seldom wants to eat our food. Except for when we have fried chicken or beef stew. He can't seem to get enough of either one.

caffeitina
11-13-2007, 06:23 AM
My Luna is that way--especially when it comes to CHEESE! That cat can be in a deep sleep at the other end of the house and, if I go into the kitchen and open the fridge, she's right there. But only if I'm going inside the fridge to get the cheese (how does she know??). Then she's putting on her "cute kitty act," looking up at me with those big blue eyes, standing on her hind legs, and MEOW-ing.

Usually I give her a small piece (here she is chowing down)

Lizzie
11-13-2007, 03:24 PM
Big question for all those of you who, like me, find it impossible to keep certain cats out of human food.

What do you do when you have to cool a big pot of something that just came off the stove? A few days ago, it was a pasta sauce and I ended up pouring it into a big bowl and putting it in the fridge right away because I just couldn't think of a place to cool it that was both clean enough and cat-proof.

The worst offenders in my household are the two-year-old terrible tabby twins. They are big, big cats but lean and with incredible jumping abilities. Then there is the litter-of-nine, now four months old and on the verge of going out to adoption centers. Imagine trying to eat dinner with nine kittens wanting to put their faces, paws or tails in your food.

sandragonfly
11-14-2007, 10:31 AM
Big question for all those of you who, like me, find it impossible to keep certain cats out of human food.

What do you do when you have to cool a big pot of something that just came off the stove? A
with 13 cats I have, I put it away in mircowave so whatever'd not get cold faster as refrigator would in case I got caught in doing of something else. but in refrigator right away too sometimes if there's not enough room.

for eating my own dinner, they have learned to not bother me or even walk up to me. I give a little quick growl and push her/him away WITH foot/leg gently (you confuse them with smell of food/fork on your hand) if s/he keeps crawling up on you. it took them a while to understand and understand that the whistling is when it's time for theirs! of course, don't whistle when you're cooking your dinner. :p this training would start all over once you have a softer heart than you think and hand a tiny piece of food. :rolleyes: I watch what I drop too. and dinners with my friends here which happens occasionally, I put them all in my room with a litterbox and treats in case they bother my friends somehow; meowings, hairs, nudges, beggings, etc.

glacier, none of my cats are obsessed with human food and in fact two of my cats hate human food as it'd squish their eyes lol. yet I can't assume that (for the other 11) because out of habit I keep all the food/boxes out of their sight. once at an old home I had to keep all of my food in bathroom because the cabinets weren't shut closed strong enough - there's one strong almighty cat here! :o

cassiesmom
11-14-2007, 11:47 AM
Dear Puff,

Now that you've discovered saltines, how are you doing on margarine? My Meowm set an open tub on the kitchen table when she went to get her bagel out of the toaster, and I knew what to do! I stuck my face right in for a lick! Thanks, Meowm. She discovered that I'll drink milk right out of her cereal bowl if she sets it within my reach, too. I usually hop up on the table at meal times so I can get a good, close whiff of whatever she is eating. My fur-cousin Milo likes to lick the orange coating off of Cheetos. It matches his fur. I also like turkey from the deli counter, chicken from the Asian take-away restaurant, and browned ground beef. And, of course, tuna. My late cousin Poco liked the special sauce on McDonald's Big Mac, and he also liked green beans.

Purrs,
Cassie

dionne
11-15-2007, 08:20 PM
Bread. My cats are obsessed with bread. If any kind of bread product is left out, I can gurantee you will find it ripped apart on the floor within minutes whether it be bagels, whole bread loafs, french bread or crackers. Angel and Abby will go through great lengths to get at bread products; they will rip through bags, hop on top of fridges, and open cupboards. As of right now, I have the bread on the very top shelf of my highest cupboard, right next to the catnip, and if they haven't gotten to that yet, I think the bread is safe.

:P