PDA

View Full Version : Schutzhund

jennifert
08-08-2002, 12:13 PM
Is anyone here very familiar with this type of training? I noticed that our dog of the day today is involved in it....It's quite a coincidence as I was just speaking of it to someone last evening. I bartend part-time at a restaurant and one my customers is involved in it heavily with GSD, Justice.

I was asking because I thought that mjaybe this type of training for Duncan might be helpful in controlling his aggression? Build confidence, control the aggressive, protective behavior rather than just do damage control? I dont' know, just a thought.

This man at the bar actually said to me that he thinks Duncan may be too insecure and have deeper issues and his biting is almost fearful. I didn't tell you guys this before because it was very upsetting and I was very conflicted over it but Duncan actually snapped at my darling 8 year old niece and got her in the face. It was a very very minor injury, a scrape by her eye is all really but....No warning, no growl, no bark, no sign of anything, just the snap when she leaned over to kiss him goodnight. This is completely unacceptable behavior and I will not tolerate it. I have not had him around her or any children since for that matter. What bothers me is that he sees an 8 year old child as a threat to me? (I was sitting on the couch and when she came in the room, he came and sat next to me and then this happened) He's so unpredictable.

Don't get me wrong Duncan is a sweet loving dog and he and I are so very very close it's amazing. I think he is insecure and all my efforts to boost him up and make him feel confident only last so long and then....?

So anyway, this man gave me the name of his trainer and I was wondering what you guys think of this type of training as I know very little about it....?

Thanks.

ChrisAK
08-08-2002, 01:59 PM
Shutzhund training is extensive. Very good for the dog, very hard on the owner.

Before you get into this sort of training, you need to have obedience done, with a minimum stay time of 3 minutes.

The best way to figure if your pup will be good at it is to have someone do an evaluation. If he is one of those "fear aggressive" or unstable temperamented dogs, then he becomes a danger to those around him.

It's very good training requireing lots of discipline. Look into it, can't hurt.

ps. If your pup is that unpredictable, IMO he needs to be put down. Unstability and unpredictability can lead to law suits against you if something happens to someone.

KYS
08-10-2002, 08:30 AM
I agree, and would think
that Shutzhund is for well balance tempered dogs.
So IMHO, I would nix the idea of Schutzhund for Duncan.

You also know Duncan better than any of us.
It might be possible that Duncan sees children as
low ranking.
If you want to build up confidence, I would
try obedience training, and some activities that
Duncan might enjoy doing with you. Confident building
is life time of work, and if not kept up
the dog tends to regress.
You might strongly consider taking Duncan
to a good behavorist trainer and see if that helps.
At least you are aware of Duncan's behavior problems,
and because of that, you can protect Duncan and
others from any future incidents. : )

Rachel
08-12-2002, 02:33 PM
I agree with what Kys said.

ChrisAK
08-12-2002, 02:50 PM
I was just thinking.... A good one to start him in would be agility or herding.

Both take a lot of obedience, but they are designed to build confidence, and it gives them a job to do. Something all shepherds and any working breed for that matter, need.

It will be fun for you too. Especially the agility. :D