PDA

View Full Version : Help

bell_peaches
11-11-2007, 12:26 AM
Son braught home a puppy and hour ago it is one am. Some jerk threw it out of a car onto the side of the road. looks about 5 weeks old. blind in one eye. Doesn't look injured at all. My dogs have already cleaned him he is tiny. But i have him in the crate and wont stope crying advice needed. will keep him till monday till can take to rescue shelter

Karen
11-11-2007, 12:41 AM
Has he eaten anything? Will one of the other dogs keep him company in the crate perhaps?

bell_peaches
11-11-2007, 12:50 AM
i did not feed him gave him some water. want to keep things light incase injured and i can't see it. I have to go get some food to last the weekend. i will run out to the store in the am. as soon as he started yapping my other dogs ran lol. What food do you all recommend he is tiny . looks like a shepard mix to me. big paws but not 6 weeks yet. have not had a puppy this size in over 5 yrs. and then my dog was much younger and thaught all pups where hers. no they wont stay in crate by him. wish they would

bell_peaches
11-11-2007, 07:58 AM
husband came home saw him said we would keep him. I told him could take him to shelter husband handed me 20 dollars go buy rudolph some food. got to get schedule for visiting vet and nueter commuter. guess he is staying. he is hungry going to try and find what kind of food is best for him.

buttercup132
11-11-2007, 08:44 AM
The pet store should be able to direct you to some formula food.
Can you take a picture the help determine his age ?

ScottieMommy
11-11-2007, 08:49 AM
Ahh i am glad he is staying, dont take him to the shelter that young please. They will keep him for a while and see if someone claims him, which i doubt if they trew him out a window. If he feels scare at your home and is crying imagine that poor tiny puppy in a shelter :( Just breaks my heart, probably misses his mommy too. I am really glad you are keeping him, good luck and wish him the best. Cant wait to see pics.

buttercup132
11-11-2007, 09:02 AM
dont take him to the shelter that young please. They will keep him for a while and see if someone claims him, which i doubt if they trew him out a window. If he feels scare at your home and is crying imagine that poor tiny puppy in a shelter She already said she was keeping him, and a shelter wouldn't leave a puppy that young in the shelter it would go to a foster home.

crow_noir
11-12-2007, 02:25 AM
I don't mean to this in a spiteful way but if you think that, you are naive. Many pounds keep pups that young at their facilities.

She already said she was keeping him, and a shelter wouldn't leave a puppy that young in the shelter it would go to a foster home.

bckrazy
11-12-2007, 03:33 AM
If he is 5 weeks old, and has teefers, go ahead and buy him a high quality puppy food (preferably NOT from a grocery store; go to a feed store, or a specialty pet store) or an all life stages food like Canidae... and add warm water and make it mushy for him. Adult dog food is fine, for a couple days. You can also add a little high quality canned dog/puppy food. Just make sure he stays hydrated!

About the crying, he probably misses his mom & siblings. If you have any hot water bottles, you can wrap towels around that, and put it in the crate. I have also heard that putting a clock (that ticks) in there can soothe puppies.

It's really nice that you took this puppy in! I would keep him away from the other dogs, before he visits a Vet, just to be safe.

pitc9
11-12-2007, 07:14 AM
Warm towels right out of the dryer would help if you don't have water bottles. I hope he had a good check up at the vet! Can't wait to see pictures!

buttercup132
11-12-2007, 08:55 AM
I don't mean to this in a spiteful way but if you think that, you are naive. Many pounds keep pups that young at their facilities. If it's a young puppy (like one who needs formula) how can they leave it there :confused: They would have to feed every couple of hours.

Karen
11-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Often staffers will foster it at home for a couple weeks, part of the territory!

crow_noir
11-13-2007, 11:50 PM
I'm not sure exactly which one it was, but one of the Animal Controls in Detroit was under investigation and that was one of the concerns that had been cited.

(But yes, any decent shelter should have someone looking after the puppies.)

BC_MoM
11-14-2007, 01:21 AM
I know many young BC pups that we have rescued from shelters because they were too young to be there but staff didn't care. Many wind up dieing.

Also, I disagree with sticking him on a high quality food right away. I run into a problem with my fosters when they come in and we give them Acana. They get the runs and don't stop until they are fed a slightly lower quality food.

None of my fosters have ever been able to handle high quality food.

Back on topic, though...

I would suggest Nutro. Or Pedigree (many here will disagree with me on that, though).

It's nice to know you are keeping him! That pup is so lucky he wasn't severely injured when that idiot threw him out the window. :(

I think you need to post some pictures of him! :D

kallisto4529
11-14-2007, 04:15 AM
Another good food and some might disagree is Purina Pro Plan, Reilly has been on that from day one and it is excellent for him, and he really likes it, you can get it at feed store or petco. You also might try putting a stuffed animal of some kind in the crate with him, I did that with Reilly for a while, one designed for dogs, it calmed him down some and gave him something to snuggle up with.

crow_noir
11-14-2007, 10:57 PM
Bell, how is the pup doing?