PDA

View Full Version : Oil Spill in San Francisco Bay

RedHedd
11-09-2007, 11:24 AM
This whole mess in the San Francisco Bay is just breaking my heart and I know I'm not alone in wanting to help. Volunteers are needed to assist in finding and cleaning up oiled wildlife. I just signed up to volunteer to help. If anyone else would like to sign up too:

http://www.baykeeper.org/

and

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/owcn/

Thanks. I keep crying today, thinking of all the innocent wildlife who are being injured or killed because of this accident.

Hellow
11-09-2007, 11:38 AM
All the bad things that Humans do to the enviroment. I feel sad for all the animals affected by this oil spill.:(

caseysmom
11-09-2007, 11:40 AM
It seems like this story is a lot bigger than what is getting out to the general public, or maybe its worse that first thought. Maybe its me and I haven't followed the news enough, San Francisco is my favorite place and it saddens me to see this.

lizbud
11-09-2007, 12:33 PM
It seems like this story is a lot bigger than what is getting out to the general public, or maybe its worse that first thought. Maybe its me and I haven't followed the news enough, San Francisco is my favorite place and it saddens me to see this.

I know what you mean. This was on last night's ABC news but it got maybe
one line. (almost added like an after thought) :( Seems the Coast Guard
didn't respond quickly enough or acknowledge the severity of the spill.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=3842350

lvpets2002
11-09-2007, 12:45 PM
:( This all makes me so sad too for all of the wildlife.. I would sign up & be there in a heart beat if I wasnt so far away in Tx.. I hope they can save the animals..

RedHedd
11-09-2007, 01:16 PM
Seems the Coast Guard didn't respond quickly enough or acknowledge the severity of the spill.
I know - the initial report was 140 gallons :rolleyes: We're not stupid; I think everyone knew the instant it was reported that it was going to be BIG. The air smells weird; I know it's toxic. I just feel so bad for the innocent, defenseless wildlife that's being put in peril. :mad:

Randi
11-09-2007, 01:33 PM
Oh that's so sad! Poor wildlife. :( I do hope many will volunteer to help!

CountryWolf07
11-09-2007, 02:33 PM
Animals aren't only the ones affected. People are, too as well. Don't forget that part.

RedHedd
11-09-2007, 03:47 PM
Animals aren't only the ones affected. People are, too as well. Don't forget that part. Believe me I DO know that - I'm breathing it!

CountryWolf07
11-09-2007, 05:55 PM
Believe me I DO know that - I'm breathing it!

Oh I know! I can't imagine being in a area with a disaster like that happening. It's disastrous..

lizbud
11-10-2007, 04:43 PM
Believe me I DO know that - I'm breathing it!

Just wondering if there are any more news on this spill? You would seem
to have a front row seat in this disaster. :( I hope they get it all contained
& begin more cleanup soon. This ship was on the way to South Korea when
it rammed the bridge?

ilovemypup
11-10-2007, 06:35 PM
This Sucks!

I have been sick..kinda a good thing I am not going outside much.

Poor bay area:(

Ugh,

alI

RedHedd
11-10-2007, 07:15 PM
Really not much to report. The cleanup continues, the oil continues to soil more beaches and wildlife. The rescue operations have more volunteers than they know what to do with. I didn't find out until too late this morning that they were conducting free trainings for those serious about helping with the rescue work. And they just had a blurb on the news that it wasn't a training after all - just a question/answer session without too many questions being answered, just a lot of bureaucratic red tape and platitudes. :rolleyes:

I know there are a lot of lawyers and paralegals very busy this weekend.

gini
11-11-2007, 12:42 PM
CNN online is reporting that it was a communication problem - human error, not mechanical error.

This is having a huge impact not only on the animals and birds but on the people who make their living fishing.

And there is another report of a huge spill on the Black Sea.