PDA

View Full Version : Camera recommendations?

sammy101
11-08-2007, 05:25 PM
I'm going to ask for a new camera for Christmas this year and I want some ideas of some good cameras. I love taking pictures but I just want a better camera. I believe there is a website that has examples of each camera..? I don't remember the name of it though. Anyone know?
I'm going for a Canon but there are so many models I don't know where to start looking :o

Thanks! =)

kittycats_delight
11-08-2007, 05:34 PM
Sorry can't help on a Canon recommendation as I am not a canon 'person'. I go more for Nikon. Right now I have a Nikon D80 and a FujiFilm FinePix S700. I would not limit myself to just one brand though. Check out everything that is out there. You might find something other than a Canon suits your needs better. Good Luck in whatever you decide and we will be expecting tons of pics once you make your choice and get your new camera. :)

BitsyNaceyDog
11-08-2007, 05:54 PM
Justin got me a Canon Rebel (http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-10-1MP-18-55mm-3-5-5-6/dp/B000I1ZWRC/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-0744636-3241468?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1194565641&sr=8-1) for Christmas. I haven't gotten to use it yet (like I said, it's for Christmas). Justin researched a lot of cameras looking for the one that was right for us, the Canon Rebel just seemed to fit our needs best.

sammy101
11-08-2007, 05:56 PM
Well I'm up for anyone camera really. I want one that can take good action pictures. A fast shutter speed i believe. Just nice, clear pictures.
Oh, and I will be posting a lot more pictures! :D

Glacier
11-08-2007, 05:57 PM
www.dpreview.com is probably the site you are thinking of. It has reviews and samples galore.

I have a Nikon D80 & a D40. I love them both. I take the d40 places where I still want my SLR, but where the risk of damage is a little high for me to justify taking the D80!

I carry an Olympus Stylus 770 in my purse or pocket all the time. It's a rugged little pocket cam that takes great pictures. Every digital camera I've owned, except the SLRs, was an Olympus and I've loved them all! Stuart has my Stylus 800 now and actually uses it! My C-50 is old and has a few tricks to getting it to work now, but it still takes a good pic. My C-5060 died, but that was my fault, not the camera's--it didn't like having a full bottle of Pepsi spilled on it!

BitsyNaceyDog
11-08-2007, 05:58 PM
Well I'm up for anyone camera really. I want one that can take good action pictures. A fast shutter speed i believe. Just nice, clear pictures.
Then you'll want an SLR rather than a point and shoot.

kittycats_delight
11-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Oh, and I will be posting a lot more pictures! :D

if you check out my photo site you will see the kind of quality the FujiFilm FinePix S700 takes. It has a special setting for sport which is for fast moving objections (action shots). It is a nice camera and takes nice pictures in my opinion. It is 8.1 Mpx and has 10x optical zoom.

sammy101
11-08-2007, 06:06 PM
Yes that is the website i'm looking for! Thank you very much! I will look into all of those. :)

Freedom
11-08-2007, 06:21 PM
Tamara beat me to it, dpreview is great.

And the Canon web site lets you pull up to 3 of their models up side by side fr comparison.

When I bought my new Canon in June, I made a spreadsheet of the features I was interested in. That helped a LOT. I had 2 Canons on the list and filling in the spreadsheet, I discovered one used 2 AA batteries and the other used FOUR! That was a major thing for me. Your spreadsheet should have whatever is important for you.

Happy hunting!

Catlady711
11-08-2007, 07:02 PM
I recommend using this site in your search for a new camera.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

They do GREAT reviews on all kinds of models, they are very accurate and thorough in their coverage and usually have a fair number of detailed pictures of each camera, some of the menu screens and usually a few test shots.

I agree with what was posted above, it sounds like you're needing a DSLR rather than a point and shoot for those fast action shots.

Either the Canon XTi or the Nikon D80 are very nice entry level DSLR cameras with plenty of flexibility in a decent price range.

I'm more of a Canon fan myself (I own 6 Canon cameras) but my dad is a die hard Nikon person (he owns 5 Nikon cameras). We're each happy with the ones we've picked so I guess it's just personal preference, they both take very fine pix with a wide variety of lenses and accessories available you could add to down the road.

sammy101
11-08-2007, 07:15 PM
Wow, thanks for all the info. I'm trying to not go too expensive,probably no more than $500. I hate my parents spending a lot of money on one thing for me. A couple of them are way to much but i have found a few that seem to fit my needs.
Does anyone know what the Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ18 is like?

BitsyNaceyDog
11-11-2007, 07:26 AM
Does anyone know what the Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ18 is like? Here (http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-FZ18K-Digital-Optical-Stabilized/dp/B000TM7GD8/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-5507469-3194824?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1194787007&sr=8-1) is the camera on Amazon, you can check out personl reviews there and also check out the pictures people took with the camera.

cloverfdx
11-12-2007, 06:08 AM
My Lumix is just about dead, i have had it about 2 or so years now but have used it way more (5000 + photos) than the average occasional snap shot ;).

I find the Lumix camera's are not good for low lighting situations, and the sports mode is not great for catching clear sharp running dogs (i use P - Program AE for action shots).

The Nikon D40 or D40X are pretty good entry level DSLRs :D.