PDA

View Full Version : How do you cope with the hairs?

ganime
08-08-2002, 03:52 AM
My Karamel has quite long hair and he is making a mess on the carpet (and i don't know where else) when he rolls on it and my carpet is red, so i have to vacuum it every 2 days (if not oftener). Also since it's very hot and humid at the moment when i caress him my arms are all covered with his hairs and i have to go wash and even take a shower if i hug him. He likes when i brush him in the bathtub but brushing doesn't seem to help with the hairs. Does anyone have a solution?

yumyum6970
08-08-2002, 06:59 AM
I know what you mean...we have very dark green carpet and light colored cats so it picks up very badly on the carpet. I have to vacuum alot as well. :(

daisy
08-08-2002, 10:25 AM
I wish I could offer you some advice...brushing is most often recommended for controlling hair shedding, but you're already doing that and as you wrote, it doesn't help much...

I've taken care of cats with hair similar to Karamel's and I have to say it's a constant battle trying to remove their hair from carpeted surfaces--they seem to shed all the time no matter what! And like you, I end up with a lot of hair on my arms after petting them! All I can say to you is that you might have to resign yourself to frequent vacuuming (just think of it as exercise
:) )! Or you might try this--give Karamel his own "carpet" (you can probably try to get a small piece from a store that sells carpets; over here we call them remnants). If catnip is available, rub some on the carpet remnant and that might attract Karamel away from your red carpet. He will still shed hair, of course, but at least you wouldn't have to take out the vacuum more often...

Take care and I hope everything goes well!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-08-2002, 12:00 PM
Daisy had a great idea with a piece of carpet of his own. Or you might try one of those pillow or mat things that Casper & Kitty have. I know they make all sorts of things for cats to sleep on that might help. Tubby sheds horrendously too - and he's a short haired cat! :eek: I put towels down in his usual sleeping spots (like my white couch!) so all I have to do is throw the towel in the wash. But he doesn't get much on the carpet - except his "usual" spots. My mom's cat is the same way as Karmel too, and she puts blankets down in his usual sleeping spots, and vacuums a lot. :rolleyes:

Oh, and Karmel must be getting big by now. Any new pictures? ;) :)

Logan
08-08-2002, 01:31 PM
I have no carpet, and I have to say that cat hair is not my major "hair" problem around here. Believe it or not, I don't notice a lot of shedding from either of mine, and Mimi has extremely long hair. The dogs are a different story. But at least when I clean up, I sweep and vacuum it off of the hardwood floors, but no more carpet for me, not while I have mud loving Golden Retrievers in my house!!! :D

NoahsMommy
08-08-2002, 01:52 PM
Hi,

We shave Noah in the summer, when it's really hot and his hair is out of control. He is SOOOO much happier, just like a little kitten. He didn't exactly like being shaved, but he has 2 months of cool playtime and we don't have hair everywhere! :)

Here's a picture of him before his haircut:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid26/pfe3d2e3d701a98e53183c82f99e5b462/fd7ec0dd.jpg

And here's after:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid26/pd058d7d631aae623b688012c7726ee56/fd7dae2f.jpg

ganime
08-09-2002, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
[B]Hi,

We shave Noah in the summer, when it's really hot and his hair is out of control. He is SOOOO much happier, just like a little kitten. He didn't exactly like being shaved, but he has 2 months of cool playtime and we don't have hair everywhere! :)

How do you shave him? With a machine like human hair cutting machines?

Chinadoll
08-09-2002, 11:43 AM
I saw a message on another cat board about shedding and thought this might help.

The lady on another board said her cat's shedding problem was so bad that everytime she ran her hand over the cat, she came up with hair. She bought this stuff called Lambert Kay Shed Relief from Petsmart for about $8. It's suppossed to be just a viatamin supplement that stops shedding. She said it works great and stopped her cat's shed problem.

I saw that you're from Turkey, so I'm not sure if you can find this product or not. I have no experience with the product but I thought I'd pass along the info anyway.

I have long hair and shed worse than the ferrets and the kitten although the new Himi kitten might be worse in the future... Anyway, I've just gotten used to vacuuming every couple days. I think of it as my exercise and I also sprinkle baking soda on the carpet before I vacuum and it makes the whole place smell fresher. Good Luck!

NoahsMommy
08-09-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by ganime

How do you shave him? With a machine like human hair cutting machines?

Ganime,

We take them to the groomers to do it, I'd rather have him hate them than me! ;) But you can do it with those clippers too.

moosmom
08-09-2002, 02:54 PM
Ganime,

Didn't you know that car hair is a condiment????:p

LoudLou
08-09-2002, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
Ganime,

I love that!!! Too funny!.....Uhm, it is ISN'T IT???

How do we cope with the hairs?...... I tell everyone we have "Angora" carpeting.... :rolleyes: :eek:

kohala
08-09-2002, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
Ganime,

My all time favorite saying!!! ROFL!

Ganime, learn to love fur, have lots of furniture towels (the ones you buy that are a cross between the color of your furniture and your cat), and we have a little hand held vac that we use on exceptionally hairy areas between vacuumings!!

AmberLee
08-10-2002, 01:18 AM
A cat loving buddy and I like trying new restaurants, and we have a 'catch phrase' we use when we try one that the food just doesn't seem as good as we expected, "Needs more cat fur..."

kohala
08-10-2002, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by AmberLee
A cat loving buddy and I like trying new restaurants, and we have a 'catch phrase' we use when we try one that the food just doesn't seem as good as we expected, "Needs more cat fur..."
ROFL!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D

ganime
08-10-2002, 03:21 AM
Oh, and Karmel must be getting big by now. Any new pictures? ;) :)

I took some new pics with a digital camera. But it saves to a floppy disk and my comp's floppy drive isn't working. As soon as i can transfer it to a comp i will post them including a photo in which he is sleeping next to a watermelon.:D

Pam
08-10-2002, 07:10 AM
I too put down little towels in places where they hang out a lot (these places change sometimes on a weekly basis though), and I keep my vacuum cleaner in good working order! LOL! Oh, I still warn guests wearing dark colored clothes that they might be taking home some souvenirs of their visit! :)

kohala
08-11-2002, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Pam
I too put down little towels in places where they hang out a lot (these places change sometimes on a weekly basis though), and I keep my vacuum cleaner in good working order! LOL! Oh, I still warn guests wearing dark colored clothes that they might be taking home some souvenirs of their visit! :)
Love me, love my cat!!!

krazyaboutkatz
08-11-2002, 02:00 AM
My cats shed quite a lot too. Even Sunny who is short haired sheds quite a bit. I only vacuum once a week but I'm constantly using the pet hair pick up tape to get the fur off of my clothes. They haven't been shedding as much though since I've been feeding them a different kind of dry cat food. It's supposed to make them shed less. I really don't think that there's any permanent solution. If you have cats you're going to have problems with cat fur. Good luck.

tuxluvr
08-11-2002, 10:22 AM
I would say it goes with the territory...I brush Ritz daily, which minimizes the hairy problem, but it does collect in her favorite places. We also keep our house pretty cool both summer and winter, and Ritzy is 'indoor only'. In the past, my various indoor/outdoor cats seemed to have a much greater problem shedding....I wonder if a constant temperature helps alleviate.

Ritz seems to shed more when she is upset....like if I take her to the vet, she becomes a "fur vending machine"...

If you are a pet owner, instead of "heir apparent" you immediately become the "hair apparent". :rolleyes: :D ;)

Vermontcat
08-11-2002, 12:08 PM
:D And I thought my cat was the only one who shedded extra hard when she went to the vets even if I just brushed her before we left the house!:rolleyes:

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-12-2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by tuxluvr
Ritz seems to shed more when she is upset....like if I take her to the vet, she becomes a "fur vending machine"...

If you are a pet owner, instead of "heir apparent" you immediately become the "hair apparent". :rolleyes: :D ;)

:D :D

Peanut doesn't shed a lot - and she's the one with the long hair. :rolleyes: Tubby sheds a lot more in summertime. But we keep it cooler in winter and warmer in summer, so I guess it's his natural cycle. In summer it is just so ridiculous. I could brush him 24 hours a day (not that he'd let me do that) and I would still get hair flying from the brush. :rolleyes: Good thing he doesn't mind being brushed.

tuxluvr
08-12-2002, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom

:D :D

Peanut doesn't shed a lot - and she's the one with the long hair. :rolleyes: Tubby sheds a lot more in summertime. But we keep it cooler in winter and warmer in summer, so I guess it's his natural cycle. In summer it is just so ridiculous. I could brush him 24 hours a day (not that he'd let me do that) and I would still get hair flying from the brush. :rolleyes: Good thing he doesn't mind being brushed.

I wonder if cats shed more as they age? I know Tubby is a sweet seasoned kitty....Ritzy will sit in a sunny window and get all warmed up, and yes, will shed a bit more then...Ritz would LOVE it if I brushed her all day.....it is one of her favorite things...the resulting purr is what my spouse calles "dragon purring" because it is so loud. If I brushed her as much as she wanted, she would be bald(but happy):eek:

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-12-2002, 01:40 PM

I wonder if cats shed more as they age? I know Tubby is a sweet seasoned kitty....

"Seasoned kitty" is a very nice way of putting it. :D And Tubby has been this way ever since I've had him. I take my index finger only, and just barely touch him - and the fur goes flying. :rolleyes: He also has dandruff which probably has something to do with it. I've tried various things over the years to try and get rid of it, but nothing has worked so I just deal with the hair. :rolleyes: :D He doesn't mind being brushed, but he doesn't like it either - just kind of tolerates it for a few minutes. :rolleyes: (spoiled, that's what he is)

Vermontcat
08-12-2002, 02:02 PM
My cat has had a little dandruff too on her lower back just before you reach her tail( where the fur is black and its hard for her to reach to groom herself). I asked the vet at her checkup and he gave me some HyLyt Bath Oil in a pump spray. It is a coat conditioner with moisturizer. It works for her and makes her smell good too. Have you tried this product or a similar one?

K & L
08-12-2002, 03:04 PM
We also shave our long hairs. It really helps. There's also a sponge that we get at Joannes crafts that is the best thing I've ever used for pet hair.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-13-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Vermontcat
My cat has had a little dandruff too on her lower back just before you reach her tail( where the fur is black and its hard for her to reach to groom herself). I asked the vet at her checkup and he gave me some HyLyt Bath Oil in a pump spray. It is a coat conditioner with moisturizer. It works for her and makes her smell good too. Have you tried this product or a similar one?

No, I hadn't heard of that one. It's been a few years since I've tried anything new. Guess I figured he'd just have to deal with it since a bath in dandruff shampoo was out of the question! ;) :D Do you have to get it from you vet or could I get it at Petsmart or someplace like that?

I was thinking last night that it's kind of funny. Peanut has allergies so she has too much oil on her skin/fur, and Tubby has always had dandruff indicating to me he doesn't have enough oil on his skin/fur. Too bad I couldn't combine the two and just have two kitties with normal oil. :rolleyes:

Vermontcat
08-13-2002, 11:36 AM
We got it at the vets and it is a bit pricey but the bottle has lasted a long time. You can call your vet and ask if they carry it or check out petsmart, they may have it or something similar. What's nice is it can be used after a bath(not my cat:eek: ) or you can spray it on dry fur and brush it in. It makes her fur nice and shiny too.:)

NoahsMommy
08-13-2002, 11:45 AM
Is dandruff predominant in black/tuxy kitties?

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-13-2002, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
Is dandruff predominant in black/tuxy kitties?

I think that it's just that you can see it better on a black cat. But I really don't know for sure.

Former User
08-13-2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by LoudLou

How do we cope with the hairs?...... I tell everyone we have "Angora" carpeting.... :rolleyes: :eek:

LOL LOL!
I cope by hoovering 3 times a week... and trying to brush the cats few times a week... :(

LoudLou
08-13-2002, 01:22 PM
http://images.ucomics.com/comics/bz/2002/bz020507.gif

Vermontcat
08-13-2002, 02:08 PM
I guess that means the more cats you have the more shedding! One is enough for me.

Here is the website for petsmart
www.petsmart.com
Chinadoll mentioned earlier that they have products for the shedding problems as well as for dandruff under grooming supplies.

I think the dandruff thing is more for older,less flexible cats without a grooming buddy in the house( I don't see Basil as ever having the problem even though he is black:) )

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-13-2002, 03:27 PM
That is hilarious Loudlou!!! :D :D

krazyaboutkatz
08-13-2002, 09:33 PM
LOL :D Too funny LoudLou. :D Cats don't have to be black to have dandruff. Both Storm and Pepper have it. I use a conditioner spray that I bought at Petco. They also have them at Petsmart and other pet supply stores. It doesn't get rid of it entirely but it does help their coats. It also makes them smell nice. :)

AmberLee
08-13-2002, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by krazyaboutkatz
...I use a conditioner spray that I bought at Petco. ...

I have completely drawn a blank on the name of the conditioner you use. I'd like to try it on my two, would you mind telling me again? (Or show a photo of the bottle so I'd recognize it when I see it again? My memory is the pits these days. :( ) Thanks!

krazyaboutkatz
08-13-2002, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by AmberLee

I have completely drawn a blank on the name of the conditioner you use. I'd like to try it on my two, would you mind telling me again? (Or show a photo of the bottle so I'd recognize it when I see it again? My memory is the pits these days. :( ) Thanks! I actually have two differerent conditioners. The one that I bought at Petco is called Refresh Rinse Free Coat Conditioner and Tangle Remover and it has a picture of a cat and dog on it. It also has a money back guarantee. The other one is in a black bottle and I bought this at Butchies Pet Supply. It's called Premier Natural Botanical Pet Rehydrant Spray by Eqyss Grooming Products. I hope this helps AmberLee. :)

Nomilynn
08-14-2002, 12:20 AM
Bassett sheds a LOT because I think she was never taught or given the chance to learn how to groom herself properly. She isn't a clean cat - I have to bath her around once a month (sometimes less) because she can get a stinky bum. :rolleyes: Tilly hardly sheds at all, but her fur is much sleeker and silkier than Bassett's. Bassett's fur is very soft and downy. Maybe that has something to do with who sheds more? Fur type? :confused:

tuxluvr
08-14-2002, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Nomilynn
Bassett sheds a LOT because I think she was never taught or given the chance to learn how to groom herself properly. She isn't a clean cat - I have to bath her around once a month (sometimes less) because she can get a stinky bum. :rolleyes:

LOL....Ritzy is a fastidious groomer, but is , um, well, a little "chubby" and cannot always reach those special places. Our brushing sessions include the occasional (and thankfully rare) "dingle extraction" --- she used to be very unwilling to let me near that area, but now that she understands what the result is, she is almost TOO willing to let me do it! :rolleyes: :eek:

kohala
08-16-2002, 07:13 PM

LOL....Ritzy is a fastidious groomer, but is , um, well, a little "chubby" and cannot always reach those special places. Our brushing sessions include the occasional (and thankfully rare) "dingle extraction" --- she used to be very unwilling to let me near that area, but now that she understands what the result is, she is almost TOO willing to let me do it! :rolleyes: :eek:

LOL - along with the cartoon, LoudLou! Oh, boy, I'd better not let Dad see that one- he'd really reinforce her diet. I guess he thinks if he starves the cat, I'll lose weight. Right above the base of her tail is where the fur comes out in batches, and the dandruff gets the worst. She only gets the dandruff occasionally, and I do see a relationship to stress - like when we're stressing over some thing, she stresses right along with us. The downfall of being a purr therapist, I guess!!!!
PS - Don't worry - I make up for the skimpy meals when I come home from work - Snack time for both of us! What he doesn't know, etc., etc.