PDA

View Full Version : Please pray for Mandy ... warning: disgusting picture inside

.sarah
11-06-2007, 03:13 PM
I'm not sure what this is, but it's really got me worried. We have a vet appt. in 20 minutes. Please keep her in your thoughts that it's nothing serious. It was more bulbous a little while ago and then it popped while I was in class. It hasn't been bleeding much, if at all. It looked like a tumor earlier, now it just looks like an open puncture wound. :(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/ella0112/mandysbutt110607.jpg

pitc9
11-06-2007, 03:15 PM
Mandy will be in my prayers.

Karen
11-06-2007, 03:17 PM
Poor Mandy! Hope it's nothing too painful or serious! Where is it?

ScottieMommy
11-06-2007, 03:18 PM
Poor baby i will keep her in my prayers :(

Taz_Zoee
11-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Ouch! Poor Mandy. :(
Is that on her bottom? I hope it is nothing serious and can easily be treated.

.sarah
11-06-2007, 03:22 PM
Poor Mandy! Hope it's nothing too painful or serious! Where is it?
It's right beside her anus, which is what makes it even worse. It's painful for her to sit, lay down, walk, and I imagine it will hurt to poop. It's only been there for a few hours though, or I just didn't notice it this morning. I have a feeling it's hemorrhoids and appeared when she pooped this morning, then started causing her problems. But I don't know, and it scares me anyway.

Thanks everyone.

KittyGurl
11-06-2007, 03:22 PM
Prayers for Mandy. She will be in my thoughts. :(

Karen
11-06-2007, 03:23 PM
Might it be an impacted anal gland? Anyway, let us know when you get back from the vet. Poor Mandy!

lute
11-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Poor Mandy! I'll be thinking of her. It looks like possibly an anal gland problem. Keep us updated!

Muddy4paws
11-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Poor baby, I hope its nothing too serious and they can make her more comfortable.

.sarah
11-06-2007, 04:00 PM
I just got back. It is an abscessed anal gland. They kept her to sedate her and flush it out, then said that she will be put on antibiotics. They wanted to keep her but I told them I wanted to take her home and they said that would be okay too ... not sure if it's just because I used to work there and they know me well or what. But anyway - she'll be fine. I was really just worried about it being a rectal prolapse so I'm glad to hear it's not serious. Poor girl though, it's bothering her quite a bit.

buttercup132
11-06-2007, 04:03 PM
Poor Mandy, my boss said that can happen if the glands aren't expressed regularly.

Hope she gets better fast.

kimlovescats
11-06-2007, 04:11 PM
OUCH! Poor baby! I hope it clears up soon!

chocolatepuppy
11-06-2007, 04:16 PM
I hope Mandy is better soon. I'm glad you could bring her home with you.

Taz_Zoee
11-06-2007, 04:36 PM
Well, I'm glad to hear it's nothing too serious. Get better quick Mandy! :)

lizbud
11-06-2007, 04:40 PM
Poor Mandy, that looks like it would be very uncomfortable for her. :(
I hope the meds help her heal quickly.

Ginger's Mom
11-06-2007, 05:09 PM
Aw, poor Mandy. I hope she is feeling better soon. It's funny, when they don't feel good we don't feel good.

wolf_Q
11-06-2007, 05:10 PM
Ouch, poor Mandy! The second I saw the picture I thought it looked like a ruptured anal gland...I've seen that on quite a few dogs. Reggie had that happen years ago as well. I hope she'll be feeling better soon.

lute
11-06-2007, 05:20 PM
I'm glad it's nothing bad! I think someone deserves some special attention.

cyber-sibes
11-06-2007, 05:22 PM
prayers for Mandy, poor girl, that's gotta hurt!

cassiesmom
11-06-2007, 06:43 PM
Mandy and Sarah, I hope it heals quickly!

dukedogsmom
11-06-2007, 07:02 PM
Poor girl. I do hope everything will be alright. It does look very painful. Maybe the fact that it burst is a good thing. I hope she'll be feeling better soon. Hug her for me.

Alysser
11-06-2007, 07:37 PM
Glad to hear it was nothing serious. Poor girl, it looks like it hurts! Keep us updated on Mandy.

bckrazy
11-06-2007, 07:53 PM
Poor Mandy! Get well soon, little girl. =(

luvofallhorses
11-06-2007, 07:53 PM
poor baby!! :( that looks painful. Feel better soon sweetie! (((Mandy))) I am so glad it's nothing serious.

Freedom
11-06-2007, 08:05 PM
Get well quickly Mandy!!!

Whew, Sarah, close call, glad it wasn't serious.

Lori Jordan
11-06-2007, 08:10 PM
Poor Girl!
I'm so sorry Mandy,I do not wish that on any pup,My Maggy suffers from this also,I wish there was something you could do for them,But in Maggy;s case they always come back.

Get well soon Mandy!

.sarah
11-06-2007, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the good thoughts everyone. She's fine now and acting normal. I'm getting ready to put a warm compress on her shaved baboon butt now :p

k9krazee
11-06-2007, 09:53 PM
Shadow has had this happen on several occasions. Glad to hear Mandy's doing better!

Daisy and Delilah
11-06-2007, 10:44 PM
OUCH!! That has to hurt. Poor Mandy. Get better sweetheart. :(

K9karen
11-06-2007, 11:10 PM
Whew! I'm sure relieved that Mandy's bare butt :D will heal and that it wasn't anything very serious! Poor Sweetie, it hurts just to look at. Smother her with kisses and hugs for me please.

shais_mom
11-06-2007, 11:24 PM
I didn't realize where it was located at first but as soon as you said that's what I thought too. My greyhound had that too. I didn't know what was going on until I thought she'd eated a ping pong ball!! Her's did open up but b/c of her licking it. I had to keep warm compresses on it to keep the infection flowing...
glad she's feeling better!

cloverfdx
11-07-2007, 05:31 AM
Ouch :(. I hope Mandy is feeling better asap.

pitc9
11-07-2007, 07:15 AM
I'm getting ready to put a warm compress on her shaved baboon butt now :p

LOL!!

I'm so glad to hear she'll be fine!

anna_66
11-07-2007, 07:24 AM
Sarah I'm glad to hear it was nothing serious (although it looks pretty nasty)
I'm hoping it heals soon.

Lots of love coming your way Mandy:)

Canis-Lupess
11-07-2007, 09:41 AM
Ah, I had a feeling it was something to do with anal glands before I scrolled down to where you got back.

Anal glands can cause a lot of problems in dogs. I'm glad she's ok though.

WELOVESPUPPIES
11-07-2007, 09:49 AM
Might it be an impacted anal gland? Anyway, let us know when you get back from the vet. Poor Mandy!

YEP that is what I was thinking, Champ had that earlier this summer and that is exactly what it was. It started like a little bite and then got huge and exploded before I could get her to the vet. It will heal really quickly, your wallet on the other hand after the procedure may take a while to heal :D

Thinking of Mandy...((hugs))

Kfamr
11-07-2007, 02:26 PM
Oh poor Mandy! That looks so painful. Glad you got to the bottom of it quickly!

KittyGurl
11-07-2007, 04:00 PM
I'm so glad Mandy is ok and it wasn't anything really serious. Feel better, Mandy!

cassiesmom
11-08-2007, 12:10 PM
.sarah, how is Mandy's sore today? I hope the meds are helping.

.sarah
11-10-2007, 09:43 AM
.sarah, how is Mandy's sore today? I hope the meds are helping.
Sorry for not updating for a while. Thanks for the good thoughts everyone. Mandy is feeling much, much better. She's been wearing an elizabethan collar because she keeps wanting to lick it and it is still too painful for her to run but other than that she is back to normal.

jennielynn1970
11-10-2007, 10:12 AM
I grew up with German Shepard dogs, but I don't remember my mom and dad ever dealing with anal glands.... maybe they just never talked about it.

What causes that to happen? Is this something that can happen in cats as well? I know I've heard of cats getting their anal glands expressed, which confuses me as well... What causes them to be blocked or whatever it is that makes them have issues (the anal glands). Just curious. I would have been a wreck in your shoes, cause I have never seen anything like that!

Glad she's doing better! I've done warm compresses on foster cats that had bite wounds and stuff, and they actually really liked them. I think it felt calming and made them feel better and relaxed having them done. Big hugs to Mandy!

animal_rescue
11-10-2007, 10:12 AM
Awww poor Mandy! I'm glad she's doing ok now!
What does this mean for the future? Will you have to have it expressed regularly now or will it even come back?

loveallfurryfriends
11-10-2007, 10:34 AM
I am so glad that it was not serious! Glad Mandy is feeling better!

.sarah
11-10-2007, 10:42 AM
What causes that to happen? Is this something that can happen in cats as well? I know I've heard of cats getting their anal glands expressed, which confuses me as well... What causes them to be blocked or whatever it is that makes them have issues (the anal glands). Just curious. I would have been a wreck in your shoes, cause I have never seen anything like that!
Diet is a huge factor but it can also be caused by genetics, I think. With Mandy, who is fed a raw diet, she can't handle as much bone as my other dogs without getting constipated. Lately I've been so busy that I've been neglectful to paying attention to it ... unfortunately she's the one who had to pay for it. I need to start feeding her less bone than I have been.

Cats can get it too.

Awww poor Mandy! I'm glad she's doing ok now!
What does this mean for the future? Will you have to have it expressed regularly now or will it even come back?
I used to have to get them expressed every so often but once we switched to raw all of her problems stopped. Like I mentioned above I haven't been paying enough attention to her bone:meat ratio lately like I should have been. I think if I start feeding less bone everything will be okay. She always scoots whenever her anal glands are impacted so I can tell if she's having problems. So no, hopefully we won't have to get them expressed.

KYS
11-10-2007, 11:23 AM
So glad Mandy is doing better.
When your post mentioned raw bones:
I give ROcky bones to chew on. (mammouth or knuckle bones from the pet shop.)
I sometimes notice he gets stomach problems and his stool is dry.
I throw out the bones when he starts breaking them down now,
incase it is from the bones.
Poor Mandy wishing her a quick recovery.

Kfamr
11-10-2007, 05:49 PM
Glad Miss Mandy is feeling better. :)

Giselle
11-10-2007, 05:55 PM
Oh wow! I actually had no idea glands could rupture like that! Glad to see Mandy's back to normal now, although now I think I'll have to pay more attention to Lucky's poops :p He's the opposite of Mandy, though. He gets loose poos very easily so now I think I'll have to go out and buy some pumpkin or something.