PDA

View Full Version : Sitka's stoopid owners....

Glacier
11-05-2007, 10:11 PM
Remember Sitka, the wandering dog who spent a night here a couple weeks ago? Well, he's been coming back pretty regularly. Usually he stays in the greenbelt and disappears again eventually. Saturday night he was on the road, not a busy road, but still concerned me. Then I saw him harassing my neighbor's horses. My neighbor makes his living with those horses and legally can shoot any animal that's bugging them. Fortunately, he wasn't home at the time. I called Sitka's owner and was told he was "too busy" to come get his dog. After almost coming unglued, I took Sitka home.

Tonight, Sitka shows up again. This time he's draggin a leash attached to a choke collar! It's a miracle it didn't get caught on something and kill him! So I spent an hour sitting in the snow, in the dark, giving him treats until he let me catch him. He can be a little shy sometimes! I had said I wasn't getting involved anymore, but I couldn't let him die a horrible death because his owners are morons.

When I caught him tonight, I called animal control. The officer just left with Sitka. He was debating taking him to the pound or just going to his owners. I told him where they live. Either way they are getting a fine for a "dog at large". I doubt he has a lisence so it will be a 250 dollar fine, assuming this is his first offence.

I have a special permit to keep my dog team in this area. I've gone to great lengths and expense to keep my dogs safe, confined and quiet. I can't risk loosing my permit because of noise complaints--especially when it's not my dogs causing the noise!

I just feel like crap that I sent him to the pound! I did tell the officer that I would post bail if he isn't claimed. I'll find him a good home if it comes to that. He's a very nice dog and shouldn't have to pay with his life because his owners can't be bothered to take care of him properly.

Taz_Zoee
11-05-2007, 10:19 PM
As difficult as that was, I believe you made the right decision. Hopefully the owners will work on keeping him home, or the pound will actually contact you to help Sitka.
So sad. But way to go Glacier!!

Riptide
11-05-2007, 10:20 PM
:( :( :(
It's so disheartening to read this, especially when you went to such great lengths to keep Sitka safe the LAST time he was loose. I find it downright rude of his owners to make seemingly NO effort at all to keep their dog in AND get him a decent collar (which, by the way, didn't you give them one?! :eek: )

It's clear to everyone that you're trying to HELP Sitka, and the least his owners could do is show some respect and gratitude towards you by keeping their dog fenced. :(

Glacier
11-05-2007, 10:22 PM
(which, by the way, didn't you give them one?! :eek: )

:(

I did. He still had the leather collar I gave him on with the (*&#@^@^ choker under it!

Taz: I will follow up with Animal Control later this week to make sure Sitka isn't in danger of being put down. If they don't call me, I'll call them!

Cinder & Smoke
11-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Sitka ~
Saturday night he was on the road ...
Then I saw him harassing my neighbor's horses.
Sitka's owner ... he was "too busy" to come get his dog.
I took Sitka home.

Tonight, Sitka shows up again.
he's draggin a leash attached to a choke collar!
... he let me catch him.

I called animal control. The officer just left with Sitka.
... they are getting a fine for a "dog at large".
I doubt he has a license so it will be a 250 dollar fine ...

I just feel like crap that I sent him to the pound!
I did tell the officer that I would post bail if he isn't claimed.
I'll find him a good home if it comes to that.

POOR Sitka!! :(

Bless you for coming to his rescue TWICE this week!

You do have to wonder if he pulled loose during a walk ... that MIGHT be the
honest explanation for the :eek: CHOKE collar and the dragging leash.
BUT - the owners have had enough time to buy him a NAME TAG for his collar ...
given his skill at escaping - I find it UNforgivable that he still has no tag! :mad:

WILL Animal Control really *call you* if he isn't claimed?
My worry would be someone would "forget" to call you if a problem develops.
(Maybe you could call AC and check on him in a day or two?)

Isn't there room for "just one more" beside your wood burner?

:D

K9karen
11-05-2007, 11:09 PM
I had a similar experience that I never related on PT, so I feel your anguish. I mean, people never cease to amaze me. I personally think you did the right thing. I secretly pray you can find Sitka a good home when all is said and done. You always have 100% of my support, Tamara, whatever you do.

ramanth
11-05-2007, 11:47 PM
Poor Sitka. And those poor kids that obviously love the dog for having such moronic parents. :(

Ginger's Mom
11-06-2007, 05:47 AM
You absolutely did the right thing. When Peaches and I lived in the apartment, there was a two month period where we were visited by a Golden that lived several blocks away. I kept Chester's phone number by my phone so I could call his family and they could come get him. One evening they came, and Chester had wandered off from in front of my apartment. They told me that if I saw him again I could call them and they would be back but that they did not have time to look for him. :eek: That made me so angry that I told her that if I saw him again I would not be calling her but would call Animal Control. I did see her driving around the neighborhood a little while later. I do not know if she found Chester or not, but I do know that Chester never came back to visit. So maybe that is the wake up call the family needs.

Daisy and Delilah
11-06-2007, 07:54 AM
Once again Tamara, you get the humanitarian of the year award. That poor guy. I secretly hope he comes to live with you, where he will finally have a good life. His owner doesn't deserve him. :(

KittyGurl
11-06-2007, 08:04 AM
You did the right thing. Those morons don't deserve a dog and hopefully they will relized that so they won't get another. Keeping my fingers crossed that Animal Control will call you. I hope Sitka will find a loving home and if not, she comes into your wonderful home.

Freedom
11-06-2007, 08:20 AM
Great job, Tamara! You kept the dog safe at the time, and have a good handle on his being safe in the future as well!

Sitka is so lucky to have brought you into his life!

cassiesmom
11-06-2007, 09:40 AM
Once again Tamara, you get the humanitarian of the year award. That poor guy. I secretly hope he comes to live with you, where he will finally have a good life. His owner doesn't deserve him. :(
Same here!!
What is a choke collar?

19:37 PM: Edited to say, Tamara, I am glad Sitka finds his way to you, because you know how to help him. I'm glad he isn't visiting someone who wouldn't know what to do or who to call.

Glacier
11-06-2007, 09:45 AM
POOR Sitka!! :(

WILL Animal Control really *call you* if he isn't claimed?
My worry would be someone would "forget" to call you if a problem develops.
(Maybe you could call AC and check on him in a day or two?)

Isn't there room for "just one more" beside your wood burner?

:D

Yah, they will call. It's a pretty small operation and they do everything they can to avoid euthanizing animals. Although the officer who came out last night is a new guy, Animal Control in general is quite familiar with us. I will be checking up on Sitka in any case.

He's a nice dog, gets along well with the other dogs so he probably could fit in here. My FIL's landlord lost their dog a few months ago and they decided last week that they are ready for another one. They'd like a young male who is good with kids---Sitka fits that description. They are wonderful dog owners so maybe he could move in there too.

KittyGurl
11-06-2007, 09:52 AM
What is a choke collar?

A choke collar is used to train dogs when they are out for walks. If the dogs pull, the collar gets tighter and it could choke the dog to death if the dog pulls enough.

Lori Jordan
11-06-2007, 12:37 PM
I know how you feel,Last year i had a Border Collie land in my yard numerous times,He had a tag on so the first and second time i called the township,But the 3rd time i had his owners number memorized.

They had found the dog themselves,I think the dog must be trying to find his original owners,Has to be he takes off everyday nearly.

I had not seen him in months until he showed up at a friend of mines house,So she put posters up all over,Still nothing.

In your case he will be safe at the pound.

Problem in this area if the dog has no tags and have not been claimed in a few days the dog catcher shoots them,Id like to shoot him but.....

cyber-sibes
11-06-2007, 03:43 PM
Dogs seem to learn pretty quickly, but it can be a real challenge to "train" their owners! Hopefully the fine or threat of a fine will get them to take responsibility, or to decide to give Sitka up so he can go to a good home. I had two strays come right up to my front door one day - no collars, no tags - so I called animal control (had to leave for work) - the minute she saw them she said she knew who the owner was -- this was at least the third time these dogs had been picked up. More stoopid owners :mad: !

Good luck with Sitka, he seems like a sweet boy.

dukedogsmom
11-06-2007, 07:05 PM
I feel so bad for him. He seems like such a sweet dog and deserves to have a good home which is certainly not what he has now. I hope his owner doesn't post bail so you can find him a good home.

joycenalex
11-07-2007, 05:25 AM
hey tamara, since 11/6 is such a big day in your kennel...and it has been 2 years, isn't it time to add sitka to your pack ;) ?

Grace
11-07-2007, 04:35 PM
Any update on the Sitka situation?

Like joycenalex, I was sort of wishing you would add Sitka to your crew. And yesterday would have been ideal!

lizbud
11-07-2007, 05:17 PM
I was curious about what, if anything, had happened with Sitka too.

Cinder & Smoke
11-07-2007, 05:28 PM
He's a nice dog, gets along well with the other dogs,
so he probably could fit in here.

My FIL's landlord lost their dog a few months ago ...
They'd like a young male who is good with kids --- Sitka fits that description.

Sounds like Sitka has TWO new homes all lined up! :)

Here's Hoping one of 'em pans out!
;)

Glacier
11-07-2007, 08:17 PM
Sitka was bailed out by his owners earlier today. Hopefully, they will smarten up now!

KittyGurl
11-07-2007, 08:21 PM
Glacier: Sitka was bailed out by his owners earlier today. Hopefully, they will smarten up now!

Oh gosh! They took her back! Hopefully they learn their lesson and actually take good care of Sitka right this time.

Grace
11-07-2007, 10:04 PM
Sitka was bailed out by his owners earlier today. Hopefully, they will smarten up now!

Earlier today???

You mean that poor dog had to spend 2 days with animal control? What sort of people are they?

Glacier
11-07-2007, 10:12 PM
Earlier today???

You mean that poor dog had to spend 2 days with animal control? What sort of people are they?

The AC pound here is only open for 2 hours a day. If you can't get there during those hours, you can't get your animal out til the next day. Animal control is run by the city by-law enforcement department, so they are on call 24/7, but deal with every by-law infraction called in, no one is assigned full time to animals. So the pound has very limited hours.

They had to pay a hefty fine to get him out. I'm happy they took responsibility for him. I hope it continues.

Cinder & Smoke
11-07-2007, 10:43 PM
They had to pay a hefty fine to get him out.
I'm happy they took responsibility for him.
I hope it continues.

Well ...
God allows even the UN-greatful ones more than one chance ...
Let's PRAY that Sitka's Folks Take da Hint and actually pay attention to him.

I'm sure the lil KIDS are truely Appreciative of his return ...
let's Pray that THEY can help remind Mom & Dad to take proper care of Sitka!

Stay Safe, pretty Boy!

kimlovescats
11-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Hopefully if Sitka's owners spent that kind of money to bail her out, then they will not take her well being for granted any more!

Thanks for helping her out!!!

Kim

inlovewithanimals
11-09-2007, 07:28 AM
I hoped they learned their lesson and if not im sure sitka will come straight back to you for some more treats!

Justin