PDA

View Full Version : Diet Food?

Cookiebaker
11-05-2007, 01:51 PM
I have working really hard to lose some of this baby fat, and I was wondering what is your favorite diet food?? I am trying so hard to eat healthy, and am looking for some ideas.

Some things I really enjoy are:
*Tuna w/ 1 T mayo and 1 t relish on rice cakes or with lettuce in a tortilla wrap
*Cottage cheese with Applesauce on top, a sprinkle of cinnamon and wheat germ
*An Apple with 1 oz of sharp cheddar cheese

Does anybody else have any ideas???? Thanks!!! :)

kittycats_delight
11-05-2007, 02:37 PM
One of my favorite things to do when I was trying to lose weight was a chicken ceasar pita.

Grill a chicken breast and slice into strips
make a small ceasar salad with low fat ceasar dressing
warm a pocket pita
open the pocket and stuff with ceasar sald and chicken breast strips
turn in open end so as not to lose ingredients and roll.

So good, low fat, and so filling.

Another of my favorites is rice salad

boil plain white rice with mixed frozen vegetables
Drain and rinse with cold water
mix in some extra virgin olive oil (just enough to coat it)
add a can of tuna in water (drained)
add some fresh ground pepper if you wish.

It is something that can last a few days and is quick, filling and yummy.

Gin
11-06-2007, 05:00 PM
Sounds like you're doing pretty well. The recipes you listed are good, and so are those of kittycats_delight.

Another good option is steamed mixed vegetables with brown rice or whole grain pasta. I also like the Kavli 5 grain flatbread with a few slices of avacado or cheese. Baked potatos are also great, just go easy on the toppings! Hope this helps.

buckner
11-06-2007, 05:31 PM
Do you like vegetable salads? If so, toss some good lettuce, spinach leaves, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, peppers, and anything else you wish into a bowl. Add some almonds or walnuts for protein, or if you wish, chicken or tuna. Drizzle some low-fat dressing on, and tada! Scrumptious salad.

Low sugar cereal and some skim milk is tasty. Add some fruit and you've got a wonderful breakfast!

I absolutely love a banana and some peanut butter. Or if you prefer, an apple and peanut butter. Peanut butter, in moderation, is really good for you... the fat is great for you and a good source of protein.

Pair an apple, banana, grapes, pear, or whatever with some pecans or walnuts, and I'm personally always in heaven!

Look for fiber rich foods - they'll keep you fuller for a longer period of time. And don't be afraid of protein - it may be higher in calories or fat, but it's a necessary nutrient!

As for snacks... how about cut up veggies and some low-fat ranch. Piece of fruit, yogurt, low-sugar granola bars (look for the HEALTHY kind)...

You'd be surprised at how simple changes can do a world of good. Cook with olive oil. Incorporate less salt and sugar into your diet. Use whole grain foods instead of the fake white flour stuff.

Good luck with everything!!! If you need any recipes or anything for lower calorie foods, let me know. I've got a ton around here.

Rachel
11-07-2007, 04:39 AM
Normally I have a salad for lunch made with my favorite things, Romaine lettuce, sliced baby carrots, red onions, mushrooms, radishes, and maybe a bit of avocado. When I want a change I have the Romaine with a cut up pear, a few dried cherries and some walnuts with olive oil vinegarette dressing.

mruffruff
11-07-2007, 09:07 AM
I found that just switching from regular products to low-cal can help. Lite bread is only 40 calories per slice while most other bread is 80 per slice. Cheese and some lunch meat is the same way. I substitute sour cream for mayo to save calories, too.

Eggs are a good source of protein. They keep you from getting hungry and are easy to digest.

But I think the real secret is as has been said before---Write it down. Get a calorie counter and pre-plan what you expect to eat all day. Make sure your portions are the right size and stick to 1200 to 1500 calories a day.

Two broiled cheese sandwiches on light bread with low-cal cheese are only 220 calories. Add an apple or banana and you won't be hungry for a snack. Tuna, drained and mixed with chopped carrots, green pepper, onion and just enough sour cream to bind it together is another good way to get protein with less calories. (Tuna in water is about 190 calories per can)
It's a pain to calculate every meal, but soon you will have a list of dishes that you can choose from and you won't need to count so often; just choose from the list and you know how many calories.

Sounds easy. But it takes commitment. I fell off the commitment wagon but still watch my diet. It's easier if the good stuff isn't in the house. With a family that's going to be hard on you.

Rachel
11-07-2007, 09:43 AM
Tuna, drained and mixed with chopped carrots, green pepper, onion and just enough sour cream to bind it together is another good way to get protein with less calories.

Oh that sounds delicious, although I think I will use light Mayo.

columbine
11-07-2007, 07:18 PM
The key to changing your food habits is ENJOYMENT! Make sure you're getting a nice wide variety, different colors and shapes, chewy and crunchy and delicate and munchy things, and make sure it all smells tempting too. Don't eat while you do anything else - just enjoy the delicious food, and maybe a bit of music or face-to-face conversation (NOT work, TV, or talking on the phone).

Experiment with different sauces, spices, and spreads. Choose whole-grain breads and pasta - it's twice as satisfying. Keep a good assortment of fresh fruit on hand, and carrots and/or celery if you like them. Don't forget nuts, if you like them and can eat them - nut oils are actually quite good for the heart in moderation, and nuts are very satisfying.

Try different drinks too - new juices, maybe herb teas, a new flavor of coffee. Sugary soda is terrible for your health in a million ways - try melted juice concentrate spritzed up with seltzer instead. Blend a mega-ripe banana or a few canned (in juice) peach slices with milk for a liquid treat.

Keep trying new things! If there's a new kind of cracker on sale, or fresh figs turn up in the produce aisle, give them a whirl. It's all about satisfaction, and variety is the spice of life.

Love, Columbine