PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed....

catnapper
11-05-2007, 11:49 AM
I've been heavy most of my adult life and my doctor recommended a program for me. I was all excited about it and went for my initial visit this morning. Turns out I can't do it because I am on Zoloft. I can't go off it, because I get anxious and spazzy without it.

*Sigh* I was looking forward to this new program and losing even just 30 pounds with it. I can't afford anything else right now. No Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers, etc. This program was free because its experimental.

*Sigh* I was looking forward to more energy. Loose clothes. Pulling old clothes out of storage.

I have no idea where to start right now, and it was so nice to think I'd have a doctor (my normal doctor) checking me out every week and making sure I was progressing properly.... all at no cost. Hubby wanted to go on the program as well but he's not elligible due to his uncontrolled BP.

Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'll drown my sorrows in some of Cam's Halloween candy ;)

jazzcat
11-05-2007, 12:36 PM
I'm sorry Kim and even though I really need to practice what I preach "Stay out of Cam's candy!" Now you need to turn around and tell me to stay out of the 50% off candy I bought for my Dad, okay?

I know you are disappointed but don't give up. I'm struggling with my weight right now and it's driving me crazy. I lost a lot of weight a couple of years ago but the past year since my hysterectomy I've gained 20 pounds. I had to go buy larger pants this fall and it's depressed me so much. I've had issues with my hormones plus I've had a lot of leg pain I thought was a combination of tendonitis and complications from the surgery but I just found out last week after a MRI that I have degrated and bulging disks so it's really back problems. Because of all that I haven't been able to exercise like I was and then I get bummed and turn to food. It stinks! I'll be having a procedure on Thursday that might help kill the pain from my back and then maybe I'll be able to get back to exercising and ultimately eating better.

Just hang in there and know that you are not alone. There are a lot of us struggling with our weight.

Cookiebaker
11-05-2007, 01:54 PM
OH I totally feel your pain. :( I am struggling because now that I am stay-at-home-Mom I'm not active at all. I have found that writing down everything I eat *BEFORE* I eat it helps so much. It helps me to analyze whether I really REALLY want it. And it helps me to have the will power to toss it if is gonna push me over my calorie input for the day. I'm sorry I'm not too much help, but know that you are not in the boat alone!

Hellow
11-05-2007, 02:49 PM
To anyone: Dont go on an low calorie diet, in my opinion its like starving your body.

Scooter's Mom
11-05-2007, 02:51 PM
To anyone: Dont go on an low calorie diet, in my opinion its like starving your body.

As long as you're not going too low then it isn't like starving. My doctor says 1200-1500 a day is not going to starve a person. It's people who go to extremes like 800 a day that are starving their body.

Hellow
11-05-2007, 02:54 PM
As long as you're not going too low then it isn't like starving. My doctor says 1200-1500 a day is not going to starve a person. It's people who go to extremes like 800 a day that are starving their body.

Normally thats when i consider starving, at 800. I think i normally eat about 2000 calories every day, but i get very hungry lol!

mruffruff
11-05-2007, 03:06 PM
Reggie, at 13 you need the calories. We women over 20 (or more) need to limit ourselves to 1200-1500 calories per day or we end up looking like blimps. Active people can work off calories, but most of us are sedentary. I don't know anyone who can survive healthily on less than 1200 calories average a day.

Unfortunately the only way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you take in. It's a pain to calculate the calories in everything that goes into your mouth, but it does work.

Now pass the candy and I'll let out my pants tomorrow!

carole
11-05-2007, 03:49 PM
If you are really serious about loosing weight, you don't have to pay to go to weight watchers, i have been doing nicely with the programme at home by myself, sure it is a little harder not having the support, but one can do it, i have done it successfully by myself, and i am here for you , should you need any support or help, it is the best programme and only one worth doing IMO,i am stablising right now and need to get myself sorted and get moving and loose the rest i want to loose, so i sure can do with some help too, i am more than happy and willing to be your weight loss buddy.

Hellow
11-05-2007, 03:55 PM
Reggie, at 13 you need the calories. We women over 20 (or more) need to limit ourselves to 1200-1500 calories per day or we end up looking like blimps.

LOL that just made me crack up, the blimp part lol lol lol!

moosmom
11-05-2007, 09:42 PM
Kim,

I've always had great success with Weight Watchres. So has my daughter. She lost 45 pounds.

I'll make a deal with ya. How about we do it together?? You can do it online or go to meetings. I need someone to help nudge me towards getting this weight off.

Let me know.

Catty1
11-05-2007, 09:46 PM
Sorry this is long - but I hope it helps!

Kim - I use a commercial nutrition program and I am not going to push it on you or anyone else. I pay only for the products.

What I did learn when I started this several years ago is that PROTEIN was key. No, not for EVERYTHING I eat. But I was startled when I was told - and realized - that the "safe" diet snacks like carrot sticks and celery and fruit were all CARBS. Healthy carbs - but still carbs, which the body uses up quickly.

I always liked Susan Powter's motto: Eat, Breathe and Move. I didn't even read that book - the title said it all. Balance.

Here's what works for me:

1. Each meal balanced - good carbs, protein, veggies/fruit. Called a "colourful" meal. (In Canada we have the Canada Food Guide - in the US, I think it is the Food Pyramid??? Good resource to use.)

2. Snacks - Protein snacks. Look carefully at your grocer's, or a health food store, and find protein snacks that are LOW in carbs. A lot of so-called 'protein bars' are LOADED with sugar. If sugar is listed 5th or further along in the ingredients list, the amount is negligible.

A chunk of cheese (I use low-fat). Piece of chicken or other meat. Roasted soy nuts are great for protein - they are high in fat, but VERY filling! :)

3. Water. Water. Get a bottle of water that holds about 4 cups (here it would be a litre), and drink one of those a day. Though you're not supposed to, I used to rinse mine out with soap and water, rinse REALLY well, and allow to completely dry on its side. Now I use a washable water bottle.

I found that often when I thought I was hungry - I was actually a bit dehydrated! AND by upping the balance of protein in my diet, I had far fewer cravings!

I lost weight and kept it off - I did use soy shakes (fruit and protein powder - frozen fruit gave me smoothies! LOL). And - I have been on Celexa, and SSRI like Zoloft, for a number of years.

(Bonus - extra protein builds lean mass and raises the metabolic rate. If you have liver or kidney problems, ask you doctor. General rule of thumb - max 30g of protein per meal.)

Pam
11-06-2007, 06:12 AM
I am struggling because now that I am stay-at-home-Mom I'm not active at all.

I know that you are probably more active than you think you are, taking care of that precious little girl! ;)

Hellow
11-06-2007, 07:46 AM
Yep, down here is the Food Pyramid (which they just proved wrong a few months ago, by the way), and up there they have the Canadian Food Guide

Rachel
11-06-2007, 04:08 PM
I'm the last person to make suggestions about losing weight since I haven't been all that successful, but I do believe that each person has to find what fits their own personality. Personally I am too cheap to pay for a *program* and especially since I believe that my problem is not knowing what to eat but in the execution of that plan. What I think it does take is determination. It has to be a #1 priority in one's life. One can't let failure in attempts deter from trying again, and again, and again.

As for where to start - eat more vegetables. Eat less at each meal. Cut out the sweets. Keep track of what you do eat. Make small changes each day. The critical thing is to get detoxed off of the sugar and fatty foods. If you can keep that up for four or five days, it does get easier.

You can do it, Kim! Don't convince yourself that you need an *experimental progam* to achieve your goal.

cyber-sibes
11-06-2007, 05:31 PM
I know her you feel, I gained a lot of weight a year after my hyst., even though I told myself I wasn't going to... like a couple others suggested, check out weight watchers online. You can access most of it for free. If you decide you want to do it & use what they call "e-tools (personalized trackers for food, activity, bpi, etc) it is only $12/month or $29 for 3 months - really not very expensive & I think it's well worth it.

My hubs & I have been doing WW for about 10 months - I've lost 40+ lbs. & he's up to about 50 lbs. lost. What I like is that you can eat anything you want - no special foods, nothing off limits. (Honest - I eat something chocolate and/or ice cream every day) I always used to get sidelined because as soon as I thought "diet", I'd go crazy & eat all kinds of stuff I knew wouldn't be on it.

Why not take Donna up on her "partner" offer & give it a try for a few months? You can do this! :D

kitten645
11-06-2007, 09:23 PM
I completely agree that WW is the only way to go. And you can get alot of info without paying for meetings...cookbooks etc. I lost 60lbs 2 years ago but have started a job connected to a gourmet grocery store so I can SEE the lbs creeping up on me. More trips to the salad bar are in order.
I don't agree with the more protein or less carbs philosophy. Atkins just never did it for me. Everything in moderation is a good key :)
I think the idea of writing everything down BEFORE you eat it is fabulous!
Has anyone read "Skinny Bitch"? Thoughts? I found it too crass but what it says makes sense. Especially to the animal lovers in all of us!
Claudia

catnapper
11-06-2007, 09:51 PM
I'm the last person to make suggestions about losing weight since I haven't been all that successful, but I do believe that each person has to find what fits their own personality. Personally I am too cheap to pay for a *program* and especially since I believe that my problem is not knowing what to eat but in the execution of that plan. What I think it does take is determination. It has to be a #1 priority in one's life. One can't let failure in attempts deter from trying again, and again, and again.
I'm with you... too darned cheap! I also need the determination. I need someone standing there making me accountable, and not a friend, coworker, family member, etc. Its been prooven many times over that the surest way for me to fail is to have someone I love making me accountable.... but a doctor making me accountable has been a different story for me.

sirrahbed
11-07-2007, 07:50 AM
the thread title caught my eye because I am so familiar with that word I guess? That hope of a new program + learning it was not available = disappointed.

weight struggles and issues are part of so many of us. I lost to my goal with WW almost 30 years ago, kept the too small goal for about ten minutes - then gained it. I was so disappointed in myself that I was even embarrassed to return to WW. :o I started following it again this spring and posted about it here somewhere - might search for it later since there were other PT folks doing the same. hubby has lost all he ever hoped to and has taken a new job that requires him to look and be fit - he never dreamed THAT would happen.

the only thing I have really been able to be consistent about is "you bite it, you write it" so I keep track of everything, everyday, at a free dailyplate website. I have it set on what I think is about 1100-1200 and just add my foods, most are already in the database. there are forums for support, even WW which is basically still what I follow only no point counting.

I had hoped to reach my big goal by the end of this year and I tried but since I have had some illness recently, I am just aiming to get my water in each day and eat only food that feeds my body.

hope you find that determination again Kim :) What you do could indirectly encourage and help your whole beloved family.