PDA

View Full Version : German Sherpards

sinister_sister_4
05-14-2001, 02:59 PM
Does any one know any thing about German Shepard? mostly about there personality? I am thinking about getting one and I have been looking for some info online but some of it repremans itself. so I need some help clarifing it. Thanks Alot

tatsxxx11
05-14-2001, 03:18 PM
LOTS of Shep lovers and guradians here to share some sage wisdom. Just hang on; one of them will answer soon!

*BaSim*
05-14-2001, 05:57 PM
German Shepards are GREAT dogs! Every German Shepard I have met has been the sweetest lil things well, not lil but BIG things!!! German shepards are not only smart, and sweet, byt they are soooooooOOOoOOooOoooOOoooOoOOOOoooooOoo BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!! I highly suggest getting a GSD!!! I think they are the prettiest dogs out there!!

------------------
http://PetoftheDay.com/online/SimBa2.jpg

*.KayAnn.*&Simba*RuFf*

sinister_sister_4
05-14-2001, 06:58 PM
Thanks,
I was wondering i found something that said that they bond mostly to one person do you know that to be true?

Sudilar
05-14-2001, 07:19 PM
Hi!
GSDs are the best!!!! No, they don't bond to only one person. They love the whole family! They are so loving and naturally protective. They are also very intelligent. You'd be amazed at what they can do. They are wonderful in obedience and not too bad in agility (sometimes their size and weight get in the way of speed). You don't have to train them to protect you, they'll do it on their own because they love you. They love to be part of the family, involved in everything. They are also incredibly beautiful!! They move with grace. They have "the look of eagles." I could go on and on.... I simply love the breed!!!
You can see pictures of mine in General under the topic New pictures also one in Gone but never forgotten.
Sue

[This message has been edited by Sudilar (edited May 14, 2001).]

Karen
05-14-2001, 10:07 PM
The German Shepherd mix that was the first dog my family had when I was a kid was by far the smartest dog I've ever met. She knew when to be protective and when not, how to bark politely or how to be scary, and knew the differences between toddlers, children and adults. She was bonded to the whole family, not just one person, and my family got her when she was already an adult, and she had been a stray, so it's not like she went through a lot of formal training! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

sinister_sister_4
05-15-2001, 02:25 PM
I was also wondering how do they react to other dogs. Lke I have a Maltesse and well he is kind of...well... he thinks he a lot bigger than he really is. And thanks for all the other info that you helped me with http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

Rottie
05-15-2001, 05:25 PM
German Shepherds are courageous, loyal, intelligent, and beautiful dogs. I suggest you research the breed a lot more, read some books, look around on the net, etc. before you actually get one. You have to make sure it's the breed for you. A bored Shepherd isn't much fun!

Originally posted by sinister_sister_4:
Thanks,
I was wondering i found something that said that they bond mostly to one person do you know that to be true?

I've had 3 GSDs in my lifetime, they've all been a "one-person dog". It's not that they don't like other family members, they just have to have their master.

barbi
06-14-2001, 10:19 PM
Have you seen the Shilo Shephard? It's just like a German Shephard, but they were bred larger and with a better temperaments.
http://www.shilohshepherd.com/Highlander/

I think these dogs are beautiful!

Barbi

crow_noir
06-14-2001, 11:38 PM
german shepherds are one of my favorite breeds! i say they do well w/ all family members. however they do have a prey drive for small animals but get along well w/ other household pets. they are highly energetic and need lots of exercise. they are very intelligent and you need to be able to work w/ that to get them to listen to you. love works as the best training method. as someone else said, they don't need to be trained to protect you (trying to train them this can actuall work against having a wonderful dog.), they will know when to protect you naturally. because they love you. if you do plan on getting one and you have no experience w/ the breed, i suggest you research breeders and find out what kind og personalities their lines get. if you were a little experienced in the breed i'd suggest a rescue. remember these dogs have the wild in there blood. when you are getting a germaqn shepherd, you are almost getting a wolf. are you prepared for this kind of commitment? most dogs of this breed need you day and night to be happy.

LuvMyRott
06-15-2001, 10:55 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by crow_noir: they don't need to be trained to protect you (trying to train them this can actuall work against having a wonderful dog.), they will know when to protect you naturally. because they love you.

That is So Wrong! Protection and obedience training is Very important! Obedience training must come first. The dog must be very well trained before any protection work is even started!! Most dogs will "protect" their owner, but against what? A kid running by you may seem a threat if your dog is not trained to protect and release only on command! This is very serious training, and the result is a happy, well behaved dog that knows what is expected of him.

[This message has been edited by LuvMyRott (edited June 15, 2001).]

mkgwolf
06-15-2001, 03:44 PM
http://members.hometown.aol.com/tawnyhill/images/gsds5%20bedtime%20(2).jpg

mkgwolf
06-15-2001, 03:49 PM
"bed warmers"

I found this pic on the internet and just wanted to show everyone. It must be fun to have 5 dogs like that. Hard work but you would never run out of stuff to do! German Shepherds are awsome!

Sudilar
06-15-2001, 04:16 PM
WOW! What a great pic! I'd be in Shepherd Heaven!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif http://www.plauder-smilies.de/angel2.gif

------------------
http://swt.edu/~aw1024/adopt12.gif

Daisy's Mom
06-15-2001, 05:16 PM
That's so cute! But whoevber is their Mommy or Daddy probably doesn't get too much bed space at night! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

crow_noir
06-16-2001, 03:05 AM
to luvmyrott

i never said anything against obedience training. i beleive in it completly!!! however even guard training won't work if your dog doesn't have a good sense of judgement. my dog (ten year old rescue) has never had any of the training and has always known real threats from normal situations. and many other people have experienced the same thing.

i do agree though that all dogs should go th=rough some form of obedience training.

crow_noir
06-16-2001, 03:06 AM
to mkgwolf

that pic is so neat! thanks for sharing!

Ewoodward
06-25-2001, 12:59 PM
I'm "owned" by two pure GSD's, and one GSD,Mal,Husky mix (June 13th DOTD, Pharlap)....and although I think the world of them, I'll be the first to tell you, GSD's are NOT for everbody!!
First, they are high energy animals, and SMART....which means that you either need a good yard for them to run in, or take the time to exercise them DAILY. As for being smart, that also means they can easily get bored if you don't provide them with lots of stimulating mental activities.
As far as grooming, they aren't particularly high-maintenance, except, they do require quite of bit of brushing in the spring/early summer when they blow their undercoat.
Some things you migh consider "downfalls" of the breed (not necessarily all GSD's will have these characteristics, but a good majority do, so you should be aware of these things before considering making one part of your family.):
*high prey-drive (can you say "cat killer"???)
*territorial aggression (this could be a problem if a kid hops the fence to get his ball back...you may be able to avoid this problem if you heavily socialize your dog as a pup, and throughout his life, with other people, kids, other dogs, and sometimes even cats.)(One of my boys gave the water-meter reader a warning nip in the rear one time, after he hopped the fence to read the meter...)
*stranger aggression (part of the loyalty/protective complex thing....also might be avoided through heavy socialization)
*fear biting (also, usually an issue of socialization and training)
*certain health problems common in the breed (hip and/or elbow dysplasia, ect....)

These are just some of the issues anyone who has never had a GSD needs to consider before making one part of your life. They are wonderful dogs, and many have already commented on their virtues. But anyone considering obtaining one needs to realistically evaluate their circumstances, to make sure they have the time necessary to provide socialization, training, mental stimulation, exercise, etc.... Not to mention the MONEY to feed (these big guys and gals eat a LOT more than a lap dog) and provide proper medical care (which may only amount to yearly vaccs and check-ups, if you are lucky, but can end up being medicating your dog daily to give relief from the pains of severe hip dysplasia....or other medical maladies. I'm STILL paying on hip surgery for my baby Chewey that he got last November.) So I guess what I'm saying is that you HAVE TO count your costs (time and money) as part of your consideration of taking on this wonderful breed and integrating it into your family.
Sorry this post is so long....

[ July 05, 2001: Message edited by: Ewoodward ]

crow_noir
06-26-2001, 01:26 AM
thank you ewoodward for posting that. alot of people don't know how to properly give both sides of the story. it helps emensly when choosing any breed. only responsible breeders give all the facts. for example, i love my rat terrier to death, but i'd never get another one again. true they are very loving, very smart, and very loyal. however they are loyal to a fault. they are possive and very territioial. and there territory is where ever they can see, where ever they are at. and out of the dozens that i have met they are all pretty much the same. again, another breed that you don't want as 100 lb. dog. however, they are Great hunters, and will restrain their prey drive for other house hold pets.
i really wish people would give both sides of the story more often.

mkgwolf
06-30-2001, 09:07 PM
German Shepherds blow their coat twice a year? I thought they just shed constantly. I have a husky and when he does blow his undercoat it looks like a dog blew up in my yard. What about water, some breeds like the water more than others (Labs) but it depends on the dog. How much do you feed one of your GSD's a day?~

Ewoodward
07-05-2001, 04:35 PM
Well, they blow their undercoat once a year, like the northern breeds do (husky, malamute, etc…) and it looks like somebody blew up a dog in the yard. This is usually in the Spring to Early Summer time period depending on local climate. In the fall they drop their guard hairs and grow new ones…this isn’t a very major shed, and you might not notice it as much. There should be minimal shedding during the rest of the year.

As far as feeding goes, if I feed strictly a high quality kibble, with my 3 dogs (115 lbs, and two 90 lb growing dogs) I go through 50 lbs every 1 ½ to 2 weeks…they tend to eat a little less in the heat of the summer. It usually equals out to 4 or 5 cups a day, each. If you buy cheap stuff (like Walmart’s “Ol’ Roy”), you’ll have to feed them as much as twice the amount you’d feed with a high quality kibble, because it’s mostly non-digestible bulk. I like Diamond Hi-Protein, because it has no soy, my Pharlap has soy allergies. It does have some corn in it though, so if your dog has corn allergies, that wouldn’t be a good choice. Now if you feed a raw diet or a combination raw/ kibble diet, it’s a whole ‘nother ballgame.

As for water, my two pure GSD's are not fans of swimming...they can, but they sure don't like it...the one time I tried to make them swim (thinking "once they get used to it, I know they'll like it!") was a total and complete disaster and they nearly drowned me! Pharlap, my GSD/Husky/Mal, on the otherhand, enjoys swimming, as long as it's on him terms. Chewey, my younger GSD does enjoy wading in the creek up to his knees, but not all out swimming. I think its just an individual trait...some like it, some don't. Alot of it probably has to do with how young they are when you start trying to acclimate them to water. I started a lot younger with Pharlap, and he's the only one who seems to enjoy it.

-Erin

Originally posted by mkgwolf:
<STRONG>German Shepherds blow their coat twice a year? I thought they just shed constantly. I have a husky and when he does blow his undercoat it looks like a dog blew up in my yard. What about water, some breeds like the water more than others (Labs) but it depends on the dog. How much do you feed one of your GSD's a day?~</STRONG>

:confused: :confused: :confused:

puppycloud
07-15-2001, 05:55 PM
<STRONG>Does any one know any thing about German Shepard? mostly about there personality? I am thinking about getting one and I have been looking for some info online but some of it repremans itself. so I need some help clarifing it. Thanks Alot</STRONG>

I have a german Shapard mixed with Collie and she is VERY Protective and she is a sweet dog very playful too

:) :)

puppycloud
07-15-2001, 05:58 PM
<STRONG>Does any one know any thing about German Shepard? mostly about there personality? I am thinking about getting one and I have been looking for some info online but some of it repremans itself. so I need some help clarifing it. Thanks Alot</STRONG>

i have a german shepard colliemix and she is VERY protective and she is a sweet dog very playful too! Good luck w/ your new dog and I hope this will help you
!!!!!
VERYVERY

SolenY
03-01-2002, 09:52 AM
Hi, I am new to this venue, but I read your message about German Shepards. I have to tell you what I know about them.

I am 52 years old, and my 11 year old GSD is my 6th dog. German Shepards are (in my opnion) the greatest companion aminal any person can have!

There are some drawbacks. You have to be willing to understand the dog, and go the extra mile to keep them busy! German Shepards are large working dogs, and are not happy without plenty of exercise, and a job or mission to complete every day. They gain the utmost satifaction in this activity. They respect, and love you more for providing reason or purpose in their lives.

ilovehounds
03-01-2002, 10:32 AM
german shepards are great dogs, we have had one for ten years now and she is the sweetest thing in the world. She lives with two hounds two shelties a boston terrier a chihuahua and a min. pin. and she has never hurt any of them. The shelties are very snotty and if she gets close to them they will snap at her but she has never snaped back she just walks away with a sad "Im sorry look on her face".

Our friend have a big gorgeous male shephard and he is so adorable a big puppy. I have nothing bad to say about the shepard they are great dogs in my books.

Here are some pics I took of Jake our friends shephard, they will take your breath away.

Jake (http://www.geocities.com/angie_j5/jake.html)

jennifert
03-01-2002, 11:05 AM
Well, you are right! Jake is absolutely beautiful and stunning looking!

sammi
03-01-2002, 02:08 PM
Jake is beautiful! Thanks for sharing with us.

Sudilar
03-01-2002, 11:30 PM
Jake is so handsome!!!!!!!!! :):)